As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2018 Fancy Dinner - Signup Soon, Sign up Often!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello my lovely forum family...

It's time for the 4th Annual Grownup Cosplay aka PAX South Fancy Dinner!

The Fancy Dinner Tradition

PAX East D&D has, for as long as I've been a forum member, brought folks together one night during PAX to class up the joint: a semi-formal prix fixe dinner with drinks where you can get your evening wear out or put on a coat and tie (full windsor you heathen) and talk about Important Things like Adults Do. A gathering where we can put faces to names and be people sharing food and conversation, rather than forum handles sharing memes. It's been a fantastic time every chance I've gotten to go, so when South opened up in 2015 we had the inaugural dinner at Guadalajara right next to the convention center. Since we've started, members of the PA staff have even dropped by to say hello! This will the be 4th year running, and it's getting harder to top them each her... but we're going to give it a shot.

When does it happen?
This year's dinner will happen on Friday, Jan 12th at 8:00PM. Dinner served at 8:30. Bar closes at 9PM

Who can attend?
Any active forum participant, regardless of how rarely you post, and your +1
In the past, we've also included a +2 depending on circumstances - please ask me if you have a larger group!

I'm in! How do I sign up?

Post below if you want to attend, and if you're bringing a +1.

The Venue
Located in the old San Antonio Library space, the spot for this year is a return to Biga on the Banks. Consistently rated in the top 3 locations for dinner on the Riverwalk, they serve New American with a Texas flare. Last year they really treated us well, with a great roomy space including drinks outdoors if the mood takes you. Have a look a the room we'll be using:
10f5pjp33pbf.jpg

This is the Alamo room (fk yeah), a private dining room on the 2nd floor with a semi-private balcony overlooking the Riverwalk! Biga maintains a separate kitchen for parties like this so we won't be waiting on the main restaurant for our food, and we'll have our own wait staff so we should be able to relax and enjoy ourselves without needing to chase down anything or wonder when the next course is coming out.

Where is this place??
Biga is (according to the maps I've looked at) a couple of blocks farther than our old spot. It's right off Market, close to the convention, walkable if your legs function, a short Uber ride if not, or you could even river taxi to it because our room will open up onto a 2nd floor terrace with access to the river. From the front doors of the convention center, Google says it's a 10min walk down Market st. Here's a map:
original-map.gif

What is the menu this year?

Menu is still TBD - if you liked something last year, please let me know!

The meal includes starters, a main course, salad, dessert, and coffee / soft drinks

What does this hootenanny cost?!
Let's break it down for you:
$80/person is what it's looking like this year - I'm working on getting it reduced. Also, tax and tip wasn't included last year in a bit of an unpleasant surprise but that will be cleared up before we finalize price.
+$5 if you want the beef
+$16 if you want to drink at the bar (no limit)

How do I pay?

Please PM me if you'd like to pay beforehand - Venmo is the best solution for that, but cash on the barrelhead is probably best. Let me know via PM how you want to do this! I do not do PayPal.

I have other questions!!!
Ask them below, or PM me.

We hope to see you all there!

The 2015 Thread
The 2016 Thread
The 2017 Thread

Signups below!
spool32 + belasco
squeakel
blameless cleric
atomika
neko
Delmain
milski
Ludious & chelle
Lord Palington +1
21stCentury

spool32 on

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yo brosef

Mark it, dude

No plus one, though

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Awww yeah

+Neco

Neco will you be my +1?

This is mostly to save on cab fare

:razz:

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Neco will you be my +1?

This is mostly to save on cab fare

:razz:

Why, I’d be delighted to! <3 :razz:

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Me plus one again. It'll be great to see everyone again!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I am in as well.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm in

I ate an engineer
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hello, i am in it like Donkey Bing It...

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Look.

I'mma be honest with y'all.

I literally do not own a tie.

Do I have to buy a tie for this?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Look.

Just ask someone else to bring a tie for you to borrow!

Not everyone wears ties tho

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Look.

Dress is semi-formal, which generally means a jacket and tie if you present as a dude. I have a closet full - what color is your suit?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    just whittle yourself a tie

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    While I'm unlikely to be able to participate in the dinner this year (True Dungeon has me scheduled from fucking 1:24PM to 11:24PM?! Who does that?), would I be able to drop by on my mandated Dinner Break (TM)?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Depends how long the break is. The place is a good 15 minute walk from the convention center.

The alternative is meeting up afterwards, some of us inevitably end up wandering the riverwalk after we leave the restaurant

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Y'all are lucky! I miss the Riverwalk. It's an awesome area

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Yeah yeah chelle and I will be there

I GUESS

Ludious wrote: »

I GUESS

Am I gonna have to spend half the dinner trying to get you to compliment Chelle again?

I ate an engineer
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

I GUESS

Am I gonna have to spend half the dinner trying to get you to compliment Chelle again?
    Now that you called your shot it's gonna be 85% of the dinner

milski wrote: »

I GUESS

Now that you called your shot it's gonna be 85% of the dinner

womp womp

I ate an engineer
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Look.

Dress is semi-formal, which generally means a jacket and tie if you present as a dude. I have a closet full - what color is your suit?

What color is my what?

I'll see if I have anything that still fits and let you know what's up.

@amateurhour

Just go with the Col. Sanders

Col._Harland_Sanders%27_Portrait_Commissioned_by_Winston_L._Shelton.jpg

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Lucky 13!

I'd love to get some more folks in this year's list.. I know it's short notice, but please poke your forum friends to come join us!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    It's fun, but I don't think I should pay $101 to eat and probably have to get a hotel room when I'm a movin a week later.

It's fun, but I don't think I should pay $101 to eat and probably have to get a hotel room when I'm a movin a week later.

Suppose I don't blame you, but you'll definitely be missed

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Look.

What if I don’t present as a dude?

I literally have no feminine formal anything (and it would be a bad idea to buy any just now since I’m hoping to dramatically change shape real soon)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Look.

I literally have no feminine formal anything (and it would be a bad idea to buy any just now since I’m hoping to dramatically change shape real soon)

You might be able to borrow something from someone! Also, Goodwill is great for cute, super inexpensive formal things, you may be able to get something there and then not feel bad for not wearing it again since the whole outfit costs $5 or whatever?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Look.

You might be able to borrow something from someone! Also, Goodwill is great for cute, super inexpensive formal things, you may be able to get something there and then not feel bad for not wearing it again since the whole outfit costs $5 or whatever?

I’m just now looking at the cost of attending this year and it’s looking pretty prohibitive, clothes not included ;-;

For some reason I always thought South was in like March

fuck gendered marketing
    Look.

I’m just now looking at the cost of attending this year and it’s looking pretty prohibitive, clothes not included ;-;

For some reason I always thought South was in like March

East is in March sometimes

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    People can wear whatever they prefer as long as it is classy and various levels of classy exist. Wear something you're comfortable in that is nice. People have never been required to be gendered in any event I've attended.

South is in January, usually later in the month. East in in March/April.

People can wear whatever they prefer as long as it is classy and various levels of classy exist. Wear something you're comfortable in that is nice. People have never been required to be gendered in any event I've attended.

South is in January, usually later in the month. East in in March/April.

yeah, it being the middle of the month this year is weird

edited January 2018
    Only a week away! Who else is coming to sooooooouth?

spool32 on
    Imma wear a spandex tuxedo and a cape

Sadly wife and I will not be joining you for fancy dinner, although afterward we're available for tacky desserts or obnoxious drinks.

wat

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I just need to give up hope that I’ll be able to make a PAX. Work has exploded on me for the third year in a row at the top of the year, so I won’t be making it to Fancy this year. *frowny face*

On that note, I have a three day pass that I can offer up.

This is still on, right? Do we have a menu?

Yes of course!

The menu has has some last minute changes due to issues with our party size but the price is the same, $80 for the fish, $85 for the beef, drinks at the bar at 8pm... So many people don't drink that I left off the premium bar.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Okay, so open bar is out this year?

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Me: you stuck your finger in the butter?!
    BC: .... I thought it was a candle!!