As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Crows and Ravens are awesome anyway. Befriend them , they will befriend you for generations.

(You can also become their enemy for generations so be nice and make a friend instead)

But my eye juice is so sweet!

How do you know this?!?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

I found it. It was a western jackdaw, maybe the spermologus subspecies.

The wikipedia map on their range is wrong, though. A few western jackdaws (we kall them "kaie") are part of the murder (of crows) I feed on my way to work. And I'm in Trondheim, Norway, 400 km north of what wikipedia indicates is the range of the jackdaws. (Although this might have something to do with climate change.)

(The birds I feed are hooded crows, western jackdaws and a rook or two. There's also a couple of sea gulls (which are actually migratory; climate change again, I assume) but the crows keep them away.)

The subspiecies I think I saw spends winters in the canary islands according to the article. But it was in a city so maybe there are enough warm places and food in urban areas for them to not move south or even further to the north.

We're also getting alot more egyptian geese in the last few years and you'd think that mid- to north germany might not be ideal for them.

honovere on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

The wikipedia map on their range is wrong, though. A few western jackdaws (we kall them "kaie") are part of the murder (of crows) I feed on my way to work. And I'm in Trondheim, Norway, 400 km north of what wikipedia indicates is the range of the jackdaws. (Although this might have something to do with climate change.)

(The birds I feed are hooded crows, western jackdaws and a rook or two. There's also a couple of sea gulls (which are actually migratory; climate change again, I assume) but the crows keep them away.)

The subspiecies I think I saw spends winters in the canary islands according to the article. But it was in a city so maybe there are enough warm places and food in urban areas for them to not move south or even further to the north.

We're also getting alot more egyptian geese in the last few years and you'd think that mid- to north germany might not be ideal for them.

Yeah a lot of bird species all over the world seem to have adapted to living in urban environments in recent decades. Here in Finland, the barnacle goose used to be a rare, shy bird only found in remote tundra regions. As a kid and in my early teens I was into birdwatching, and the barnacle goose was on my bucket list of birds I really wanted to see some day. Well, that wish has come true:

lbb0xirsd2er.jpg

For some reason these arctic geese have decided to expand their territory south. Every spring they arrive by the thousands and take over the parks and beaches of the southern cities, especially Helsinki, and there's more of them every year. They look a lot like Canadian geese, but are slightly smaller and have a less belligerent disposition. But they just don't give a shit about anything. They go wherever they want, poop everywhere, stop for a group nap in the middle of a road if they feel like it. They're not even mildly afraid of people, but not really aggressive either, although I've seen them attack dogs. Last summer some guy's dog chased a flock of geese into the water and nearly got drowned once the geese realized they have the upper hand.

I think city life provided them a survival advantage because of the lack of predators, but that seems to be changing, because foxes have followed the geese into the city. These days I spot a fox or fox tracks on a weekly basis, something that would have been unheard of a couple of decades ago. There's also been an increase in Northern goshawks, which are no threat to adult geese but can probably catch goslings.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Crows and Ravens are awesome anyway. Befriend them , they will befriend you for generations.

(You can also become their enemy for generations so be nice and make a friend instead)

How do you know this?!?

Its day one med school stuff.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Yeah a lot of bird species all over the world seem to have adapted to living in urban environments in recent decades. Here in Finland, the barnacle goose used to be a rare, shy bird only found in remote tundra regions. As a kid and in my early teens I was into birdwatching, and the barnacle goose was on my bucket list of birds I really wanted to see some day. Well, that wish has come true:

lbb0xirsd2er.jpg

For some reason these arctic geese have decided to expand their territory south. Every spring they arrive by the thousands and take over the parks and beaches of the southern cities, especially Helsinki, and there's more of them every year. They look a lot like Canadian geese, but are slightly smaller and have a less belligerent disposition. But they just don't give a shit about anything. They go wherever they want, poop everywhere, stop for a group nap in the middle of a road if they feel like it. They're not even mildly afraid of people, but not really aggressive either, although I've seen them attack dogs. Last summer some guy's dog chased a flock of geese into the water and nearly got drowned once the geese realized they have the upper hand.

I think city life provided them a survival advantage because of the lack of predators, but that seems to be changing, because foxes have followed the geese into the city. These days I spot a fox or fox tracks on a weekly basis, something that would have been unheard of a couple of decades ago. There's also been an increase in Northern goshawks, which are no threat to adult geese but can probably catch goslings.

Wait hang on. Is that the etymology of goshawk or is that a red herring? Did i learn something today?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

How do you know this?!?

Bendy straws

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

For a while it sounded like you were talking about retirees and their tendency to move south to Florida.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

For a while it sounded like you were talking about retirees and their tendency to move south to Florida.

I too have seen a group of pensioners try to drown a dog in a lake

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

lbb0xirsd2er.jpg

Wait hang on. Is that the etymology of goshawk or is that a red herring? Did i learn something today?

My google searching implies that it is related.
    Old English gōshafoc, from gōs ‘goose’ + hafoc ‘hawk’.
    From Middle English goshauk, from Old English gōsheafoc (“goose hawk”), from gōs (“goose”) and hafoc (“hawk”). Compare also Old Norse gáshaukr and Late Middle English gosling. The bird gets its name from the fact that the birds of the species are hawks that were alleged to prey on geese.

So, something new was learned today. Let's all call it here, and go take a nap.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A California beach is being occupied by militant elephant seals.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Honestly, they deserve it more.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The fuzz are gone, get up here quick!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bad News: A small sink hole opened up on a road in Florida

Gone Right: It was apparently caused by an in-progress tunnel being dug towards a nearby bank. The sinkhole happened before the diggers could finish it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/us/florida-bank-tunnel/index.html

• Options
    The latest "trend" in dog grooming is pretty nuts:
    The “trend” first hit wide public awareness after being shared on the Royal Paws Pet Salon Facebook page. The North Carolina pet salon, however, is not a purveyor of sparkling dog balls. They posted the pictures for entertainment purposes only and assured their customers that they would absolutely not be partaking in testicular bedazzlement.

Some people have called the scrotal decoration animal cruelty but you can at least be satisfied in knowing that the only thing being hurt is these dogs’ pride. The glitter, which is edible, is applied to the dog scrotums with corn syrup (so, sugar). It’s not dangerous for the dogs, who’ve licked far worse things than their own balls and sugar.

Is this really how we’re repaying dogs for being the best?

(I'd put the link to the story, but it has pictures of the act, and I'm not sure the mods would be happy with a link to that.)

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

lbb0xirsd2er.jpg

My google searching implies that it is related.
    Old English gōshafoc, from gōs ‘goose’ + hafoc ‘hawk’.
    From Middle English goshauk, from Old English gōsheafoc (“goose hawk”), from gōs (“goose”) and hafoc (“hawk”). Compare also Old Norse gáshaukr and Late Middle English gosling. The bird gets its name from the fact that the birds of the species are hawks that were alleged to prey on geese.

So, something new was learned today. Let's all call it here, and go take a nap.

Huh, I didn't even think of the possible etymology. The Finnish word for the bird means "hen hawk" or "chicken hawk", because it's been a threat to free-range poultry. They've been nesting on the rooftops of Helsinki for decades, but they used to catch mostly pigeons and ducks before the goose invasion started.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Elephant seals:

"We claim this beach by reason of having birthed our babies upon it.

We claim the adjacent parking lot too by reason of we're really big and would win in a fight."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7KsXwO6Ymw

• Options
    I didn't realize elephant seals were that huge, holy crap.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize elephant seals were that huge, holy crap.

Wait 'til you see brontosaurus seals...

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    General PoS and all around bigot Kim Davis is probably not going to be turbo-fucked, but she is going to have to sweat that quarter of a million possibility for a while.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-may-have-hefty-legal-bill-gay-n965301

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ever wanted to be a ninja? Now's your chance!

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201802280014.html
    NAGOYA--It's tough being a ninja these days. There are just not enough of them.

So a ninja group here in this city in the middle of Japan wants you!
    Although ninja are typically expected to pull off acrobatic feats, Dohara said there is a more important element for modern ninja.

“Skills and experience are actually significant, but they are not essential factors,” she said. “We are seeking a person who has a passion for promoting ninja.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Although ninja are typically expected to pull off acrobatic feats, Dohara said there is a more important element for modern ninja.

“Skills and experience are actually significant, but they are not essential factors,” she said. “We are seeking a person who has a passion for promoting ninja.

Goodbye everyone I'll remember you fondly as I stalk my targets for the Lord of my clan.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I guess if you're doing it right, they would never know what acrobatic feats you are or are not performing.

Also will there be an arcade and skateboarding? These are important questions.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I guess if you're doing it right, they would never know what acrobatic feats you are or are not performing.

Also will there be an arcade and skateboarding? These are important questions.

I'll use the Gina Linetti method

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they'd allow a male to train as a kunoichi? Afterall, why must the female of the species be the only ones to specialize in death by snu-snu?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not bad news, just...weird news of the meteorological sort. Rare snow rollers spotted in field near Marlborough:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-47108382

_105461923_snow6.jpg

Orca on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular

Happy Chinese New Year!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bad news: A mountain lion attacked a trail runner.

Gone right: HE CHOKED THAT FUCKIN' LION OUT
    Yesterday afternoon, a trail runner was out for a run alone in the Horsetooth Mountain Open Space area outside of Fort Collins, Colorado, when he was attacked by a mountain lion. The runner said he heard something behind him, and as he turned around to look, the lion attacked him from behind, biting his face and wrist. He managed to break free from the cougar’s claws and teeth, and he told investigators from Colorado Parks & Wildlife that he choked the lion to death while defending himself.

The runner apparently sustained “serious, but non–life threatening injuries” in the attack, and despite his wounds, he managed to run out of the park and get to a hospital for treatment. A necropsy of the animal this morning confirmed that the lion was suffocated.

Don't start no shit won't be no shit, wildlife.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That is one hell of a bar story

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm conflicted.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm conflicted.

I mean he didnt seek the lion out for a fight. If it had been an adult hed be dead.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh, for sure. Guy has to do what he's got to do.

Just can't feel the death of a cougar is a gone right coming from Florida, where we drove them pretty much to extinction. The whole story just feels sad to me.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

/nod
    307197755_ZPf4Y-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Bad news: A mountain lion attacked a trail runner.

Gone right: HE CHOKED THAT FUCKIN' LION OUT
    Yesterday afternoon, a trail runner was out for a run alone in the Horsetooth Mountain Open Space area outside of Fort Collins, Colorado, when he was attacked by a mountain lion. The runner said he heard something behind him, and as he turned around to look, the lion attacked him from behind, biting his face and wrist. He managed to break free from the cougar’s claws and teeth, and he told investigators from Colorado Parks & Wildlife that he choked the lion to death while defending himself.

The runner apparently sustained “serious, but non–life threatening injuries” in the attack, and despite his wounds, he managed to run out of the park and get to a hospital for treatment. A necropsy of the animal this morning confirmed that the lion was suffocated.

Don't start no shit won't be no shit, wildlife.

Sk7a2.jpg

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

"You should see the other guy.

He was a lion."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »

"You should see the other guy.

He was a lion."

"Are you lyin'?"

"No, the other guy was."

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Oh, for sure. Guy has to do what he's got to do.

Just can't feel the death of a cougar is a gone right coming from Florida, where we drove them pretty much to extinction. The whole story just feels sad to me.

If it makes you feel any better, it was in Colorado, where the Couger population is much more stable. I was actually reading some statistics and encounters like these are INCREDIBLY rare.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The fact that the bear guy ended up using a stick at the end was so disappointing. He was so close, a few curb stomps and he'd have been there. The bear had already passed out so there wasn't even an immediate need to rush, he just ruined the run for no real reason.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    The fact that the bear guy ended up using a stick at the end was so disappointing. He was so close, a few curb stomps and he'd have been there. The bear had already passed out so there wasn't even an immediate need to rush, he just ruined the run for no real reason.

I feel like I would have just bolted. The bear wasn't gonna wake up anytime soon

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

I feel like I would have just bolted. The bear wasn't gonna wake up anytime soon

Nah, if I fight a bear, one* of us is dying at the end.

*It's me. I'm the one dying.