As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
edited November 2022 in Social Entropy++
Hi friends, our last thread got closed because it finally reached 100 pages.

Post here all your fun times in the gym or weight room and talk about training or questions or maybe some links to some lifters doing some cool things. Maybe because it’s 2018 now you can post some goals or something.

I tweaked my lat maxing out on my deadlift Saturday, but it’s feeling better and I’m probably gonna fart around with some hypertrophy training since I just spent the last three months basically going heavy as shit.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
DJ Eebs on

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I just got these new protein bars call Epic Chicken.

15g of protein and they don't have a bunch of weird shit in them that gives me toxic gas.

it's kind of strange opening a wrapper and gnawing on a chicken bar though.

I change programs every six weeks or so, and am getting close. I'm interested to see my measurements, because stepping on the scale I don't think I've gained any weight.

I've increased the weight on my lifts by a decent amount though.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Right now I hate training about as much as I've ever hated it. I cut for precisely two weeks too long. Maintenance phase now until I don't hate it any more.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’m sorry to hear that, Tube. I tried those Kodiak cakes and they were delicious, but a little too pricey for a regular purchase.

@mcp my wife baked some pizza last night but instead of dough she blended chicken breast and that was the crust and it was pretty good but a little different. A little too rubbery for me. I thought of that when you mentioned chicken bars.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Yeah, they're rubbery for sure. At this point I've given up on finding anything that doesn't have a weird texture.

Lou Malnati's has a no crust pizza like that, only they use sausage instead of chicken. Afterwards you kind of feel like dying.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I had to take a couple of weeks out of my schedule with some holiday travel. Hoping to get back into it this week in spite of this annoying cold I've caught. Also hoping I haven't lost anything off my lifts.

Sleep on
    You probably have lost a little strength but nothing that won’t come back quickly enough. I’d take 5% off your maxes the first week back and see how that treats you.

If anything you will be able to handle the weight you normally do but your conditioning is kaput and you will be sore until you get back into it.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    First time training in 2018 and decided to begin my 90+% training sets. Bench day. Hit 4 paused singles with 140kg and 1 with 145kg. Then did a shitload of accessories.

ff0vc7rgjtji.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    eggplant or cauliflower cut with the chicken works better re: pizza crust if you can't live without pizza

after being sick and travelling for two weeks I only lost 5% on bench and everything else held up. plus I lost a few pounds of fat for free and they haven't come back. might be something to this whole "get violently ill" thing

I’m sorry to hear that, Tube. I tried those Kodiak cakes and they were delicious, but a little too pricey for a regular purchase.

I get them in a huge box from CostCo, but I haven't actually worked out the serving size. They're pretty good on a cut because they're super filling and anything non-heinous that I can eat while cutting is a blessing.

The training hatred will figure itself out pretty quickly I think, I'm pretty sure it's just my body saying "ok, you need to cut this out and find something to eat". Losing 8 kilos is not nothing, I need to adjust.

How’s your program looking?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

It's pretty good! No escalating volume in the last cycle because I'm accumulating fatigue anyway. It's only 2 sets per exercise on the deload and it still feels like a ton right now. I'm looking forward to a solid rebound to at least get me back to baseline strength. I may be lean enough to do a conservative bulk for a couple of months too.

Losing 8 kilos is huge dude. Congrats

Tube wrote: »

It's pretty good! No escalating volume in the last cycle because I'm accumulating fatigue anyway. It's only 2 sets per exercise on the deload and it still feels like a ton right now. I'm looking forward to a solid rebound to at least get me back to baseline strength. I may be lean enough to do a conservative bulk for a couple of months too.

Eating at a deficit will do that. The pump will be glorious when you get a surplus of kcal in you again.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

Thanks! It happened kind of gradually enough that I haven't really sat back and appreciated it.

This was my most successful cut, and I think the key differences were tracking macros somewhat obsessively and using a flexible approach rather than No Bad Foods. I also pretty much totally kicked out the idea of the weekly/bi-weekly "anything goes" day and fit any tasty garbage I wanted to eat into the framework I was already eating within.

Training was, and is, absolutely fucking brutal the longer I got into training and is the primary reason why I need to stop. I could keep up with the diet forever I think. My biggest disappointment is that I always thought I'd be brutally lean at 77 and this turned out to very much not be the case. I don't know what that weight is. 73 maybe? Fuck it, who knows.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I'm seeing how many consecutive days I can lose over a pound in water weight after eating horribly over the holidays. The last two days I shed 5 pounds.

Thanks! It happened kind of gradually enough that I haven't really sat back and appreciated it.

This was my most successful cut, and I think the key differences were tracking macros somewhat obsessively and using a flexible approach rather than No Bad Foods. I also pretty much totally kicked out the idea of the weekly/bi-weekly "anything goes" day and fit any tasty garbage I wanted to eat into the framework I was already eating within.

Training was, and is, absolutely fucking brutal the longer I got into training and is the primary reason why I need to stop. I could keep up with the diet forever I think. My biggest disappointment is that I always thought I'd be brutally lean at 77 and this turned out to very much not be the case. I don't know what that weight is. 73 maybe? Fuck it, who knows.

I mean, what would you consider brutally lean? Like striations on delts and quads or what?

Deadlifts. Was feeling a bit under the weather but still managed a pr triple with 200kg.

spokogr9s8mj.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

I mean, what would you consider brutally lean? Like striations on delts and quads or what?

About 12 weeks out, probably. The point at which it goes from "I guess that guy is in shape" to, "...Jesus". I'd like my cut to bulk bf % to vary from 5% to 12%, and at 77 I'm still not within a shouting distance of a single digit appearance. I'm pretty confident that after a recovery diet and some time I can do a slower diet and get down a few more kilos without a huge amount of fuss though.

I guess that makes sense

I went into my workout today without enough fuel in the tank

5x8x70% nearly killed me and then I got two sets into my accessory work and said fuck it. I’ll have to see how I feel later tonight or tomorrow to see if I can salvage it

I'm now on a diet break (2900 calories, mostly carbs and a little fat and protein) for at least two weeks, and I hit 77.0 on the scale today so that was a nice capper.

My trip to the store today required a lot of finding things that have carbs and no protein or fat. Children's cereal is the answer, turns out. Also rice krispie squares

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You can also make squares with any cereal - I've done them with Corn Pops, Fruity Pebbles and Captain Crunch.

My trip to the store today required a lot of finding things that have carbs and no protein or fat. Children's cereal is the answer, turns out. Also rice krispie squares

Why the low protein?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat

Why the low protein?

Not especially low, it's around 200g of protein, I just tend to hit that really easily whereas my carb goal is enormous. 350 to 400 daily.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I really have been reading too much pro keto propaganda, the thought of intentionally eating that many carbs per day gives me the heeby jeebies.

Peen wrote: »
    I really have been reading too much pro keto propaganda, the thought of intentionally eating that many carbs per day gives me the heeby jeebies.

After doing this not-low-carb diet for the last four months I'm now pretty sure keto is bunk. I lost weight fine (better than I ever have before) and had a much, much easier time of it than any of the low to zero carb diets I've ever done before, and I didn't have to worry about destroying the function of the diet by accidentally ingesting a carb. I also didn't have to choke down endless chicken in order to get my necessary calories from protein.

The basics of the diet are around 50g of fat, bodyweight in grams of protein, whatever else you need in carbs to take up the slack.

I think keto might work if a person is trying to break some bad habits - e.g drinking all their calories. Me, I can’t live without Italian food.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    I think keto might work if a person is trying to break some bad habits - e.g drinking all their calories. Me, I can’t live without Italian food.

I'm sure it works in the sense that if you restrict a particular macro you'll find it really hard not to hit your calorie count. My thinking now is "if it doesn't seem to be any more effective than regular dieting and is much harder, why do it?"

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Alright so I came up with a fitness challenge that I think might be kind of fun.

I call it the "2018 Deadlift Challenge." The goal is that, once a month, you try to deadlift a combined 2,018 pounds in one set with as few reps as possible, ultimately lowering the rep amount as much as possible by the end of this year.

So like, right now my deadlifts kinda petered out and I'm at about 315 on a good day for 3 to 4 reps. In order to hit 2018 I'll need to pull 315 for about 6 reps (rounding up or down where necessary) Which is doable. The only thing is, to drop that one rep I'll need to jump to about 375 by the next month with the weight going up a considerable amount each time to lower it so the gains might be lighter. By the end of the year I'd like to hit 475 to do it in 4 reps. Which might be a lot harder, but I've got a year to work on it!

Edit: I'd also like to get 18" arms in 2018 buuuuuuut

Juggernut on
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Alright so I came up with a fitness challenge that I think might be kind of fun.

I call it the "2018 Deadlift Challenge." The goal is that, once a month, you try to deadlift a combined 2,018 pounds in one set with as few reps as possible, ultimately lowering the rep amount as much as possible by the end of this year.

So like, right now my deadlifts kinda petered out and I'm at about 315 on a good day for 3 to 4 reps. In order to hit 2018 I'll need to pull 315 for about 6 reps (rounding up or down where necessary) Which is doable. The only thing is, to drop that one rep I'll need to jump to about 375 by the next month with the weight going up a considerable amount each time to lower it so the gains might be lighter. By the end of the year I'd like to hit 475 to do it in 4 reps. Which might be a lot harder, but I've got a year to work on it!

Edit: I'd also like to get 18" arms in 2018 buuuuuuut

Sounds interesting, 315 to 475 is a fuckload of weight to put on in a year though.

Have you thought about doing 2018 lbs in as few sets as possible?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm still thinking out the minor details.

I figure the key will be in the rest pauses. Maybe giving myself no more than 15 to 20 seconds between reps will be enough to get me through it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think I'll try to get in on this! That sounds fun. Can I pull sumo?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    Holiday fatass eating finally did me some good. 195lbs overhead press for two reps which is a huge PR for me. Now what to do with all these cookies...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I'm sure it works in the sense that if you restrict a particular macro you'll find it really hard not to hit your calorie count. My thinking now is "if it doesn't seem to be any more effective than regular dieting and is much harder, why do it?"

I see a lot of keto success stories online where someone who is mostly sedentary and whose diet consists of [consume trash] starts working out and goes keto, but my problem with that is would they have gotten the exact same results from just dieting normally and working out?

Squatted on Saturday, which was, eh, fine. However, I did 6 sets of leg extension afterward and my quads have been have been fried ever since to the point where I have trouble walking. I might need to incorporate them more in my training.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    starting to think 5x10 deadlifts as an accessory was a horrible idea on a deficit

I don't like 5 x 10 generally any more unless it's the week before a deload.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't do sets of above 6 for deadlifts* unless I'm doing an AMRAP, because fuck that many deadlifts.

*regular deadlifts, that is. I'll do sets with higher reps of stuff like RDLs or whatever.

I suspect that by the fifth set I would be pretty psychologically burned out. I'll go as high as 8 and that's bad enough.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I used to do deadlift on a 3x10...i have no idea what the fuck my aim was with that.

This discussion has been closed.