As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Holy shit it's @Methuselah , 'sup man

Hey! I am often here, lurking. Very happily back on the East coast near an amazing gym.

Between quarantine and the end of my wife’s pregnancy, I gained a hilarious amount of weight (190 @ 5’7”). I am in the process of dropping back down to the 160 range, but in the meantime my pressing movements love the extra heft. This morning:

Deficit deads 315x3x3
    Bench 225x3x8
    Squat 275x3x3
    Press 115x8x3
    Three sets of seven BW chins

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    I’m about a month into a cut and dropping weight faster than I would like to keep from jeopardizing too much strength, but I just hit a 385lbs squat at 195lbs, which is close enough to double body weight squat to make me think I’m doing okay.

"Dead Legend" (or anybody else) have you ever used a scout hyper before? Rogue just dropped their version yesterday (https://www.roguefitness.com/westside-scout-hyper ) and I’m real, real curious. The footprint alone is great for my space, even if I don’t fold it up. It sold out in half an hour so I have time to do some research, but I heard mixed things about the previous version that wasn’t made by Rogue.

Also, it should come with a poster of that Louie picture. I need his disapproving glance on my wall.

I have not used it, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be good if it’s got Louie’s stamp and Rogue behind it.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Anyone have any good exercises specifically for adductors?

They've been giving me grief (source of the groin pain I mentioned a couple months ago). I've gotten it manageable enough that they aren't interfering with things like squats so much anymore, but there's still bad discomfort when I directly activate them. Only triggered by activation, not pressure sensitive at all.

The 2 movements I've got so far:
    -take a very light band, anchored at floor height, with feet spread apart in line with band and one foot banded, then pull banded leg in laterally.
    -lying on my side on the floor perpendicular to a bench, one leg out straight under/past the bench, one leg bent resting on to of the bench, then prop my hips up in the air pushing the knee on the bench downwards.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There aren't many better feelings than when you're finished with a bench/upper body session and everything feels pumped and huge, it's so good.

Also moderately close grip incline bench is pretty legit.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    There aren't many better feelings than when you're finished with a bench/upper body session and everything feels pumped and huge, it's so good.

Also moderately close grip incline bench is pretty legit.

Close grip incline makes me feel so weak. Using dumbbells makes me feel slightly less bad about the light weights, and results in a gnarly pump if desired.

Does everyone get that spontaneous-triceps-failure when repping pressing movements or just me?

• Options
    I definitely do, longer ROM stuff like incline and overhead press are worse. I can usually grind out a bench rep that goes awry but overhead just stops cold and I have to try to lower it without killing myself.

• Options
    Anyone have any good exercises specifically for adductors?

They've been giving me grief (source of the groin pain I mentioned a couple months ago). I've gotten it manageable enough that they aren't interfering with things like squats so much anymore, but there's still bad discomfort when I directly activate them. Only triggered by activation, not pressure sensitive at all.

The 2 movements I've got so far:
    -take a very light band, anchored at floor height, with feet spread apart in line with band and one foot banded, then pull banded leg in laterally.
    -lying on my side on the floor perpendicular to a bench, one leg out straight under/past the bench, one leg bent resting on to of the bench, then prop my hips up in the air pushing the knee on the bench downwards.

The band adductions and the Copenhagen planks are good. You can also try floor slides. Monster walks with band around ankle.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Moved about a month ago. New house has a 12x13 room in the basement with no windows. Kind of a whatever room. The previous owners had a little ballet station set up for their daughter.

Anyways, we just finished transforming it into our gym.
    0905vfx17bcg.jpg

5jjhrck2mw89.jpg

vhd46sgp1ri0.jpg

qavlfdc0b76g.jpg

Gonna buy a couple of those wall mount plate storage things from PRX, and a few wall mount things from Rogue to free up more floorspace. But otherwise good to go! Big upgrade from detached garage i had been working out in before.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Hi5, fellow basement gym friend.

For you other home gym folks, I just grabbed these Chinese MAG grip knock-offs from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-Essentials-1000-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Function-Adjustable-Power-Cage-with-J-Hooks-Dip-Bars-and-Other-Optional-Attachments/390199797?selected=true). I’m shocked at the level of quality and they’re amazing for any cable row movement.

• Options
    I just want to say a quick fuck you to every single doctor that has told me for the last ten years that I’m too young for gout because I saw a good doctor who got me the right meds within about 4 days of an attack and I could fucking riverdance now.

So I will hopefully be back to lifting with more regularity now.

Also, pretty sure I’m more prone to it due to grandpa & dad having it, but either way it’s a good reason to clean up the diet a little.

Hard to imagine it’s hydration, as I drink a good amount of water given my activity levels, diet wise I barely drink anymore, eat a modest amount of red meat and seafood, could just be elevated uric acid production.

Either way, fuck shitty doctors and fuck gout.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I get the horse mats for my home gym on Friday and build ("supervise" building) the new rack on the weekend. I'm excited to get lifting again, I've put on oh, 10 kilos or something in quarantine

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just want to say a quick fuck you to every single doctor that has told me for the last ten years that I’m too young for gout because I saw a good doctor who got me the right meds within about 4 days of an attack and I could fucking riverdance now.

Also, pretty sure I’m more prone to it due to grandpa & dad having it, but either way it’s a good reason to clean up the diet a little.

Hard to imagine it’s hydration, as I drink a good amount of water given my activity levels, diet wise I barely drink anymore, eat a modest amount of red meat and seafood, could just be elevated uric acid production.

Glad to hear you got it squared away. Gout sucks, especially untreated.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Ah, yeah, that sucks man. It's absolutely genetic. I'm surprised they didn't do a uric acid test after you had a couple of attacks after the attack cleared up. My doctor did that the second time I had an attack and got me on the allpurinol.

I've found the worst for it is alcohol - mostly beer - due to the reduced water intake. And organ meats. Sweetbreads is always a gamble for me.

Glad you finally are getting it under control.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Oooft, gout? That's fucked. Glad to hear you've got it under control now, it's a MISERABLE condition to suffer.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Certain fruit and vegetables can also help build uric acid in your system. My dad's in his 70s and has had two flare ups this past year where he had to cut out some stuff he liked because of it (and he's absolutely not having red meat and or seafood either). Worth looking into.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Long time, no see. Finally got the motivation back to train somewhat consistently. Hit heavy squats on Saturday and did the NSun squat workout today. Felt fucking awesome, I usually only hit a double on the top set, but 150kg felt light so hit a triple with a couple more in the tank.

lziq238s9ryo.jpeg

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Appreciate it, broskis, gout is indeed miserable.

The indomethacin got the pain knocked out, I’d like to not get on the allopurinol if at all possible, Kako, but I am definitely thinking it is hereditary.

I will look into that side of the diet as well, Nap, not near as good on that front as I should be.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey thread. A few days ago I impulse bought a functional training machine from Costco (Inspire FTX) since I haven't had a proper workout since, fuck, March? Oh god I don't like to think about it. Anyway it's one of these cable type things (it also included an adjustable bench):
    kfKxpOA.jpg
    I hate to sound bougie about it, but I've always worked out with a trainer (sessions were super cheap at the local community rec center pre-covid) and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with it on my own. It didn't come with any exercise booklets, but it included a year of a training app thing, which I'll dive into at some point. I've ordered one of those posters with a bunch of exercises on it, so hopefully that will help. I figured out how to use the belt thing that came with it to do assisted pull-ups and chin-ups, which rule. I've also played around with bench pressing (it came with this wavy bar which I'm sure is useful for other things like pull downs?) and rows.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a book or video or whatever that covers a good set of routines. I'm hoping I can use it for pretty much a full body workout? Thing has 150lbs on each stack (putting it together on my own was an effort let me tell you) so I figure I'll be set with it for a while.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Hey thread. A few days ago I impulse bought a functional training machine from Costco (Inspire FTX) since I haven't had a proper workout since, fuck, March? Oh god I don't like to think about it. Anyway it's one of these cable type things (it also included an adjustable bench):
    kfKxpOA.jpg
    I hate to sound bougie about it, but I've always worked out with a trainer (sessions were super cheap at the local community rec center pre-covid) and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with it on my own. It didn't come with any exercise booklets, but it included a year of a training app thing, which I'll dive into at some point. I've ordered one of those posters with a bunch of exercises on it, so hopefully that will help. I figured out how to use the belt thing that came with it to do assisted pull-ups and chin-ups, which rule. I've also played around with bench pressing (it came with this wavy bar which I'm sure is useful for other things like pull downs?) and rows.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a book or video or whatever that covers a good set of routines. I'm hoping I can use it for pretty much a full body workout? Thing has 150lbs on each stack (putting it together on my own was an effort let me tell you) so I figure I'll be set with it for a while.

Can you squat/deadlift motions with it? If so I'd look at Starting Strength and adapt the exercises to the machine.

• Options
    webguy I love you but telling someone who only has access to a cable machine to try to adapt Starting Strength to it is perhaps less than ideal advice?

@firewaterword When you say "good set of routines," what is it you'd like to accomplish? Bigger muscles? Smaller you overall? To just get stronger?

• Options
    webguy I love you but telling someone who only has access to a cable machine to try to adapt Starting Strength to it is perhaps less than ideal advice?

@firewaterword When you say "good set of routines," what is it you'd like to accomplish? Bigger muscles? Smaller you overall? To just get stronger?

Thats fair. I'm assuming more familiarity than I should be. Making the assumption that things called out in the book would have a similar exercise listed out in the cable machines list of exercises it can do.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hahah OK so I actually have a copy of starting strength! I bought it years ago when I was going to try to just hit the gym and try to teach myself to lift. Turns out that's just not how I work. I was living in Venice Beach and just ended up lucking into a super awesome trainer that didn't charge an arm and a leg - a unicorn for the area and market. I just wish I'd remembered to make notes and such instead of just blindly listening to him. Same goes for the guy I was working with pre-covid. I'd like to come back to the book at some point but right now it just feels beyond me, even if I had bars and plates and all that jazz.

I can do weighted squats with it - tried the other night. The grips it came with have two rings on them though so I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be. I guess just buy one of those V looking grips and hook it up to both stacks?

@Peen thanks for asking, my goals at this point are to just get some strength and definition back. I fluctuate between 170 and 175 depending on how much I'm going out to eat/drink (obviously not much these days, but I'm going through some relationship shit and have been summoning the pizza and beer gods more than I should be; delivery apps are the devil). Would love to trade some fat weight for muscle weight.

I found this video the other night and am going to give the routine a shot tomorrow morning once I get an old TV mounted in the workout space tonight:

• Options
    Hahah OK so I actually have a copy of starting strength! I bought it years ago when I was going to try to just hit the gym and try to teach myself to lift. Turns out that's just not how I work. I was living in Venice Beach and just ended up lucking into a super awesome trainer that didn't charge an arm and a leg - a unicorn for the area and market. I just wish I'd remembered to make notes and such instead of just blindly listening to him. Same goes for the guy I was working with pre-covid. I'd like to come back to the book at some point but right now it just feels beyond me, even if I had bars and plates and all that jazz.

I can do weighted squats with it - tried the other night. The grips it came with have two rings on them though so I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be. I guess just buy one of those V looking grips and hook it up to both stacks?

@Peen thanks for asking, my goals at this point are to just get some strength and definition back. I fluctuate between 170 and 175 depending on how much I'm going out to eat/drink (obviously not much these days, but I'm going through some relationship shit and have been summoning the pizza and beer gods more than I should be; delivery apps are the devil). Would love to trade some fat weight for muscle weight.

I found this video the other night and am going to give the routine a shot tomorrow morning once I get an old TV mounted in the workout space tonight:

So, some actually useful advice! For definition it's all about the diet. Sounds like you already know you're not eating as well as you could be. Do you track what you eat at all, know how to make or buy good healthy food? Do you have a costco membership?

• Options
    Yeah so the food thing is just kind of a blip for reasons; I typically eat a mostly organic, unprocessed diet. Lots of greens and lean protein, eggs, occasional steak or carnitas, pretty low carb, mostly gluten free for the last two or so years, but probably not going to stick with that. Up until recently I've been living with someone pretty obsessed with eating well, so my habits are pretty good all told. Just need to stick with it and not get too derailed.

I've done food tracking in the past when I was consciously trying to lose weight, but that was years ago, and honestly it kind of makes me kind of an anxious mess, so I'm not keen on doing it unless I somehow seriously fuck up over the next few months and gain 50 pounds or something godawful like that.

Typically cook up a bunch of chicken thighs in the instapot every few days and eat those with baby broccoli and/or garlic kale, japanese sweet potato, sometimes brown rice, pasta nights here and there. Don't have a sweet tooth so don't fuck with soda, candy, etc. Biggest junk food is addiction is probably those damn 4505 pork rinds, but they're easy to burn out on. Been drinking more beer than I should be, but working on cutting that down.

I do have a costco membership - just got it in order to get the equipment I've posted above about a week or two ago. Haven't actually been in store yet; grocery shopping for one there seems insane at the moment, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

• Options
    Yeah so the food thing is just kind of a blip for reasons; I typically eat a mostly organic, unprocessed diet. Lots of greens and lean protein, eggs, occasional steak or carnitas, pretty low carb, mostly gluten free for the last two or so years, but probably not going to stick with that. Up until recently I've been living with someone pretty obsessed with eating well, so my habits are pretty good all told. Just need to stick with it and not get too derailed.

I've done food tracking in the past when I was consciously trying to lose weight, but that was years ago, and honestly it kind of makes me kind of an anxious mess, so I'm not keen on doing it unless I somehow seriously fuck up over the next few months and gain 50 pounds or something godawful like that.

Typically cook up a bunch of chicken thighs in the instapot every few days and eat those with baby broccoli and/or garlic kale, japanese sweet potato, sometimes brown rice, pasta nights here and there. Don't have a sweet tooth so don't fuck with soda, candy, etc. Biggest junk food is addiction is probably those damn 4505 pork rinds, but they're easy to burn out on. Been drinking more beer than I should be, but working on cutting that down.

I do have a costco membership - just got it in order to get the equipment I've posted above about a week or two ago. Haven't actually been in store yet; grocery shopping for one there seems insane at the moment, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Well it sounds like you know what to do. Keep the treat beverages down to one every other day or so and I bet you'll be fine, and maybe keep the pork rinds to the weekend. Nothing says you can't have them, just not all the time.

I'm a huge fan of costcos protein shakes. They are like 20g of protein for under 200 calories and are a pretty good deal. They also sell peanut butter powder and an assortment of protein powders as well.

Also you can get a TON of good food from there. lots of good meats and stuff, and at good prices. Buy a nice flat of steaks for like 30 bucks, and freeze 3 out of 4 of them and bam, easy meals later on!

• Options
    Ah it’s good to be walking funny from the weights

Ski erg 1500m
    Back squat 10x60,80,100,100
    GHR 5,5,5,12
    s/s
    BW Lunges 5,5,5,5

Does not take much

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    kfKxpOA.jpg

I got pump just looking at that machine. You can absolutely do some great isolation exercises with that. Honestly, just YouTube some cable exercises for each body part and you will get a bunch of good results.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    kfKxpOA.jpg

I got pump just looking at that machine. You can absolutely do some great isolation exercises with that. Honestly, just YouTube some cable exercises for each body part and you will get a bunch of good results.

Yeah, check the exrx exercise directory, they have a billion cable exercises broken down by body part

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    2nd week back in the gym since February. I am exceedingly jealous of all you peeps with garage gyms but there’s finally one by me that takes COVID semi seriously, taped off squares, hard limits on how many peeps can be in at once, lots and lots of hand sanitizer and masks, and boy howdy is it nice to be sore again.

Lost about 70 lbs off my squat and deadlift, figure I’ll do some 5x5s for a month to get my form back under control before going back to 5/3/8’s delightful bullshit. I’m gonna squat 5 plates before I die dammit.

• Options
    Closing in on the end of my cut and I’m down to about 192lbs. I can feel the individual abs now, which is just bizarre to me. To celebrate, I pulled 415lbs for a speedy set of four, so strength remains at a very high (for me) point. Remember, kids, tailor your volume to your caloric intake!

My daughter’s first birthday coincides with the beginning of my bulk and I have been hoarding pumpkin baked goods and beer in preparation. I AM HUNGRY.

• Options
    We have been training in the weight room with the athletes since June. We were able to keep athletes somewhat spread out in the beginning, but as bigger teams started showing up, we had to readjust. The powers that be said we could have no more than 2 athletes per platform, and when lifting they can remove their mask, but if spotting / resting have to have their mask on.

I have to wear a mask constantly (also get tested weekly due to working with an in-season team) and so far, fortunately, have not had a single linked case to the weight room, even though we’ve had positive cases across the teams we work with.

I’m over the whole shit show.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    No shit. I’ve been getting tested fairly regularly and it seems each test is worse than the last one. At least 5 seconds of active digging in each nostril

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Yeah, the nose probers are getting more sadistic. The nurse this last time didn’t go deep enough in the sinus to make my molars itch but she sure rotorootered my nostrils

• Options
    kfKxpOA.jpg

Yeah, check the exrx exercise directory, they have a billion cable exercises broken down by body part

OK thank you thank you thank you - this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Time to get to work...

• Options
    I feel for you guys that have mandatory testing, I haven't had to get a test yet and they sound like the worst. Cheers to you guys for running a clean weight room DL, that can't be easy.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    My test this morning was done by a dang pro. He didn’t even want me to tilt my head back.

Hopefully that’s my last one for a while. Now I’m just waiting until I’m allowed to go to the fucking gym again.

I was actually making some really good progress underway with the janky smith machine we had and a pull up bar. Since being back, I’ve let the chaos of work, kids, and other things throw me off of the rhythm I had going. And beer and vidja games.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    I feel for you guys that have mandatory testing, I haven't had to get a test yet and they sound like the worst. Cheers to you guys for running a clean weight room DL, that can't be easy.

Appreciate it, trying to do the best we can given the circumstances. I do a lot more laundry weekly and refill spray bottles a lot more.

• Options
    Man, I really underestimated how much I would miss dumbbells. I finally got a set of PowerBlocks after only having a barbell and pulley system for a year and a half and, damn, are they nice. Just the time it shaves off accessory work was worth it, alone.

• Options
    Dumbbells are pretty nice. PowerBooks are pretty decent, I find them aggravating for certain movements (goblet squats and pullovers) and their block shape and size makes shrugs vexing.

But definitely fast and easy to swap weights on rows, presses, lunges, curls, etc.

I’ve got about 7 pairs of fixed dumbbells that I’ve accumulated over the years for smaller movements or for my wife (10-40#) and my plate loaded dumbbells are for anything beyond that. I usually just use kettlebells for pullovers because I have an irrational fear of the collar failing on the loadable dumbbells and smashing my face.

The next item on the list is to get 4 equal diameter 25# plates for the plate loaded ones.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well I hit my target of doing 40 proper form dead hang pull-ups in 4 minutes

So next is my target of doing four sets of 15

And then I guess... one-armed pull-ups? I have been told that once you should really get to the point where you can do 15 at once before you start training for that

This discussion has been closed.