As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I wonder if horrible ab cramps count as an exercise because that's the only time I ever put my hand on my stomach and am like damn those abs are hard as fuck. Can't see em but they're there and currently trying to murder me.

Maybe I should just ride the wave.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Been 7 months since 2nd clone was produced.

Officially starting lifting back up again today. Gonna do a bit kf an accelerated Stronglifts for 12 weeks to get back into it, then switch to some kind bro split i imagine.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    I am looking forward to two days off. I've been pushing myself real hard, especially on the lighter programed lifts, really shooting for failure and I feel like it's working but man I am gassed.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Today marks the half-way point (6 weeks) of the exercise research study I'm in. Pretty happy with the results so far, and I'm really excited to see what the data is at the end of the study. I'll have before and after comparisons of total body fat and muscle percentage, along with a full blood panel and whatever data they're getting from the muscle and fat biopsies. I should have access to all these numbers and will share them here if there's any interest in that sorta thing.

Cruor on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    ChadBot gave me deficit deads for sets of five at 380lbs. While setting up, I realized that was probably heavier than I ever had done deficits at, even for lower reps. I hit RPE 7. I guess ChadBot knows what’s up.

Followed by SSB squats, step-ups, and reverse hyper. Fun workout.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hey thread, I got a barbell for 20 bucks from a silent auction. It's used though and not in the best condition. I got a nylon brush and some 3-in-1 oil but I'm not sure what sort of bar this actually is or if I need to oil it down before trying to scrub at it or what. Anyone have any ideas?

Pics:
    gbkq8nxk80ng.png
    ia7uzqrmt1ky.png
    c8fyawqr0yh7.png

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Looks like a $20 beater bar, should work good for you.

Unless you’re trying to Olympic lift with it, no reason to try and oil it. Those sleeves don’t look like they’re going to be rotating much unless you pull the whole thing apart and clean it, adding oil ain’t gonna cut it.

But for $20 to learn how to properly clean a barbell, that’s valuable there. Way cheaper than the $250 I spent on a project revolver and learned way more than I needed to about the function and cleaning for that.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Unless you’re trying to Olympic lift with it, no reason to try and oil it. Those sleeves don’t look like they’re going to be rotating much unless you pull the whole thing apart and clean it, adding oil ain’t gonna cut it.

But for $20 to learn how to properly clean a barbell, that’s valuable there. Way cheaper than the $250 I spent on a project revolver and learned way more than I needed to about the function and cleaning for that.

I am totally okay with getting the tools to pull it apart and clean it, I just don't know exactly what to do to do that. I need a punch tool I know, but I can't tell what color this thing was supposed to be originally.

• Options
    Probably that color, actually. Looks like the same material as the ones in my gym.

As long as the thing is solid and isn't growing fuzz I wouldn't worry about really cleaning it thoroughly.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Heavy day of pulling today, 3 x 5 pullups with 20kgs added, 6 x 10 second lockoffs with 34kgs added, 8 x 10 second fingerboard hangs with 30kgs added

That plus the weighted ring dips at 3 x 5 and Bench/OHP yesterday means I'm begging for this rest day tomorrow, Jesus

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I am totally okay with getting the tools to pull it apart and clean it, I just don't know exactly what to do to do that. I need a punch tool I know, but I can't tell what color this thing was supposed to be originally.

https://www.tworepcave.com/490/olympic-bar-maintenance-and-removing-rust/amp/#Disassembling_the_Barbell_for_Thorough_Cleaning_and_Oiling

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It is cruel that after a heavy bench and arms session that you have to use your arms to shake the post workout shaker cup.

• Options
    I have never cleaned my bars and I probably should but they’re in a climate controlled environment. Also, my free time is limited to either cleaning my stuff or using it to lift, but not really both.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Did the first "real" lift session today after a long time off. (Other sessions the previous week were like just the bar, high rep to get use to motions again)

Felt good, not gassed.

And then 10 minutes after

Immediatelly fell asleep.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Gork wrote: »
    I have never cleaned my bars and I probably should but they’re in a climate controlled environment. Also, my free time is limited to either cleaning my stuff or using it to lift, but not really both.

Mine could use a cleaning but the sleeves spin still and its in a garage that deals with wild temperature fluctuations and high humidity. The rust gives it character!

• Options
    It isn't rust, it's patina :wink:

• Options
    Ran out of time to actually eat this morning before I had to run out the door so my heavy bench day is blowing chunks.

Moved 3x3x235 but I was hoping for closer to 245 or 250. My bench is still my White Whale (not counting squats since that's injury related) and I've yet to hit my goal of 275. It just doesn't feel like my right shoulder could handle the load.

• Options
    Dave Tate has been doing side by side reactions to lifting videos on Instagram. How am I just discovering this and how did I live my life without seeing them?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    It's a good bit.

Edit: the only problem with them is that I'll be having an otherwise innocuous time scrolling and all of a sudden my phone starts spewing curse words and I have to quickly turn it down and apologize to my kids

Peen on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Cold climate people, I'm moving to Nebraska. I ordered an Oros parka and Soren boots. How much cold weather exercise attire do you need to own? Do you need special running shoes?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cold climate people, I'm moving to Nebraska. I ordered an Oros parka and Soren boots. How much cold weather exercise attire do you need to own? Do you need special running shoes?

I run on icy days with Saucony Peregrine Ice+ 2 shoes. They’re not the best running shoes, but they keep my feet warm and dry, and the traction on them is fantastic. While wearing them I’ve been able to run up hills that I can’t walk up wearing normal shoes.

Beyond that, I don’t do much in the way of cold gear. Down to -18° C I’ve worn sweatpants, a hoodie, a light running jacket over the hoodie, gloves, and a tuque. It may be worthwhile to do some jumping jacks or running in place or other cardio before going out into the cold to stoke the furnace a bit, but once a person gets moving the human body can produce a considerable amount of heat.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Last Sunday I worked up to a 515 single to a parallel box and last night I got in my cups and decided this cycle would be to a low box and during the course of triples at 405 I think I caught a cramp in my ab and called it after another set and some light good mornings.

Should be fun to see where this goes. I hope it was just a cramp because it’s still feeling funky. Up high, just right of the midline below the ribs.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Snagged a cold Friday and after sleeping most of Saturday and not doing much Sunday I figured I'd be good to start back up this morning and hahaha nope don't think I am.

Edit: I take that back. Stuck it out and once my body started moving I felt way better. It wasn't what I'd call a killer workout but it definitely felt like what I needed to start getting back up to speed.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

I run on icy days with Saucony Peregrine Ice+ 2 shoes. They’re not the best running shoes, but they keep my feet warm and dry, and the traction on them is fantastic. While wearing them I’ve been able to run up hills that I can’t walk up wearing normal shoes.

Beyond that, I don’t do much in the way of cold gear. Down to -18° C I’ve worn sweatpants, a hoodie, a light running jacket over the hoodie, gloves, and a tuque. It may be worthwhile to do some jumping jacks or running in place or other cardio before going out into the cold to stoke the furnace a bit, but once a person gets moving the human body can produce a considerable amount of heat.

My Oros Orion Parka arrived and I'm sweating in it, and I'll pick up Peregrines later. This is going to be sweet.

Do you recommend any gloves?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Sold my Titan SSB to someone from work. I was a little surprised, because she was a division director for a federal agency, so I asked her what kind of lifting she does and she said her coach was Brett Contreras. Luckily, I did not share my first reaction, because fuck that guy from what had been reported.

ChadBot gave me dumbbell floor presses for this block. I have powerblocks. Racking and unracking 70lbs and up per hand on the floor was not how I predicted ChadBot was going to end me, but it’s shooting up the list. Not sure how I can make this any easier.

• Options
    Muscle ups on rings are progressing to the point where I can now reliably do them... but only dynamically. I need to isolate the turnover movement in a weaker exercise so I can get stronger at that as I can do the pullup and the deep dip without much trouble

Be really cool to do a slow, controlled muscle up on the rings. Nice calisthenic strength target

• Options
    Had an insomnia and Rice Krispy fueled workout this morning to make up for missing yesterday.

Actually pretty decent. I'm up to about 240 on my bench for 4 or 5 reps across 2 sets now which is a minor but noticeable increase over my usual 225. I've also noticed some strength gains on my lat pull downs. I'm getting about 10 to 12 good quality reps per set at about 160. I'm attributing some of this to my inclusion of negatives when I start to reach failure which has been fairly beneficial in several other exercises as well.

• Options
    Hit two sets of 5 or 6 at 225lbs on the box squat for the first time in... 8 or 9 months?

Bit of a mile stone. I'm slowly, slowly, god so very slowly working my way back.

• Options
    Patience is a virtue.

• Options
    445lbs deadlift for a triple today, which is definitely a PR, but I was shooting for four, so not the one I wanted. I got rep four an inch or two off the ground and my diaphragm said no more brace for you. Picking my RPE 10 attempts remains a skill I am complete balls at.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    So after achieving step one of one armer progression (160% BW pullup, which is 45kgs added for me), I'm now targeting stage two, which is locking off on the 90 and 125 degree angle, one armed, for ten seconds

Currently to do that I need to assist with 10% of my BW on a sling and pulley, so I'm going to start doing those directly, 3 hangs per angle per arm. Twice a week and I reckon I can get that weight down to no assistance in a month or two.

Solar on
  • Options
    My coach has also allowed me to go back to barbell bench again! Praise be to Allah!

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I hit a smooth 315 bench today. That was my main 2022 lifting goal, so I guess I need to set my sights higher!

• Options
    First event of the Arnold Strongman's streaming on Youtube now, for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv93nOmy7IM

• Options
    Worked up to a 2 rep top set of 285lbs on the sumo deadlift. Everything moved decent enough but my second rep things got real swimy in the descent and I had to step back and take a second to let stuff go back in to focus. That's a new experience.

Did back off traditional reset deadlifts afterwards.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    JF Caron opened at 916, he looks super intense and I would love to see him walk away with the overall win so I'm rooting for him in each event.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    This is probably the most remarkable thing to come out of the Arnold (that I know about), Chloe Brennan managed to lift and hold replicas of the Dinnie stones, even if just for the briefest moment. She's around 140lbs, the stones are around 733 combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHqXSbk3dY

Peen on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    5 times her own body weight. Insane.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Training was going quite well last year despite pandemic interruptions. I was doing mostly sets around the 8 rep range and got some hypertrophy going. I’ve now decided to go back on 5/3/1 again (after a decade!) to see if I can translate this extra mass into moving more weight.

First couple of weeks are going well. I got some pretty extreme soreness after my first squat day. I certainly don’t want to be experiencing that all the time. My elbow, too, is feeling a little off, but after today’s pressing it seems to be fine. Since pressing was fine, I suspect that maybe chin-ups are the culprit here. Despite really wanting to be decent at chin-ups, I’m starting to think that maybe I’ll have to lay off them a bit. I’m doing neutral grip, which seems the most comfortable, but they still often leave me feeling uncomfortable anywhere from my elbows, through my shoulders, or I even tweak my neck if I’m struggling hard with some reps.

Weights and reps for the workouts so far:
    Bench press: 65kg*13 on the 5+ day, 70kg*10 on the 3+ day.
    Squat 92.5kg*9 on the 5+ day, 100kg*7 on the 3+ day – this seems like the toughest one for me right now.
    Press 35kg*15 on the 5+ day, 37.5kg*13 on the 3+ day – hmmm, maybe started a little light but press usually stalls out fairly quick.
    Deadlift 102.5kg*10 on the 5+ day, 3+ day will be Sunday.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    3 x 5 weighted pullups with 30% BW added (23kgs). Peak of my overload cycle and a PB for weight in working sets. Pretty cool.

This discussion has been closed.