As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best way to experience PAX as a group?

tripleslothtriplesloth Registered User regular
This is our first time attending PAX, or any game convention in fact. We are coming as a group of about 6 people. I'm wondering how any veterans would recommend we get the most out of it?

Do you usually go off by yourselves and do your own thing? Are there enough things in the exhibitor hall to play together? Is it easy enough to find consoles or PCs that are next to one another to play group games? Are there any specific sections for group/party games? Are the scheduled sessions sat by first come first serve, or is there reserved seating?

Thanks!

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Before I get into details I should mention... There is absolutely no saving spots in lines. Everybody in your group has to be present to enter the line (or you can abandon whoever is not present to be who knows how far back.) This goes for morning queue, expo hall demos, TD, merch, panels, anything.

My group is fairly independent minded. We will join and split throughout the day - one by one getting distracted by shinies and either wandering away or getting abandoned. We tend to meet up for meals and organize time slot events together (such as doing D&D adventurer's league, True Dungeon, etc.) Being in a group with varied interests can be hard - and people shouldn't be afraid to venture forth alone!

But I can't really say how many things there are as group activities on the fly. Video games in the expo hall are generally set up for single player or smaller groups than 6 people. South does have a large tabletop presence. I think they're generally 4 player demos that are set up - but the great thing about table top is often there's more flexibility for group sizes! I can't say much about PC/Console freeplay - other than not to put them online. I know VR freeplay had a 4-player game at West this year. You'd have to let an enforcer know that's what you wanted to do as there were specific machines that were compatible with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scheduled sessions," so here's some possibilities...
    If you mean Adventurer's League, you sign up for a specific adventure at a set time with your name. This reserves your seat at the table.
    If you bought True Dungeon tickets then that is for that time slot - and don't be late! (They are parties of 10 I believe. So you'd likely have 4 random people with you.)
    If you mean scheduling a VR Freeplay time slot, that basically lets you cut ahead of the line. It's like Disney's "Fast Pass" where you get a shorter line at the time you were told to come back at.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • tripleslothtriplesloth Registered User regular
    Before I get into details I should mention... There is absolutely no saving spots in lines. Everybody in your group has to be present to enter the line (or you can abandon whoever is not present to be who knows how far back.) This goes for morning queue, expo hall demos, TD, merch, panels, anything.

My group is fairly independent minded. We will join and split throughout the day - one by one getting distracted by shinies and either wandering away or getting abandoned. We tend to meet up for meals and organize time slot events together (such as doing D&D adventurer's league, True Dungeon, etc.) Being in a group with varied interests can be hard - and people shouldn't be afraid to venture forth alone!

But I can't really say how many things there are as group activities on the fly. Video games in the expo hall are generally set up for single player or smaller groups than 6 people. South does have a large tabletop presence. I think they're generally 4 player demos that are set up - but the great thing about table top is often there's more flexibility for group sizes! I can't say much about PC/Console freeplay - other than not to put them online. I know VR freeplay had a 4-player game at West this year. You'd have to let an enforcer know that's what you wanted to do as there were specific machines that were compatible with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scheduled sessions," so here's some possibilities...
    If you mean Adventurer's League, you sign up for a specific adventure at a set time with your name. This reserves your seat at the table.
    If you bought True Dungeon tickets then that is for that time slot - and don't be late! (They are parties of 10 I believe. So you'd likely have 4 random people with you.)
    If you mean scheduling a VR Freeplay time slot, that basically lets you cut ahead of the line. It's like Disney's "Fast Pass" where you get a shorter line at the time you were told to come back at.

Thank you! Your first point was very important to know.

Do you know where we sign up for the D&D Adventures league and/or the VR Free play time slots? Or is that done when we arrive?

Thanks again!