As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Servers back up. Time for some more rumble.

*edit * there's nobody in que lol. 6 minute wait so far after servers got up.

RickRude on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Man, I expected nothing from Eternals and am somehow still disappointed.

• Options
    WTF is this eternals crap? It's like a more expensive season pass for other games? I don't understand it but just clicked on karthus and it seems stupid. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    WTF is this eternals crap? It's like a more expensive season pass for other games? I don't understand it but just clicked on karthus and it seems stupid. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's paid stat-tracking, actually. That's probably worse.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    Ivellius wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

It's paid stat-tracking, actually. That's probably worse.

Ewwwwww. It's funny, their card games seems really fair f2p. I paid for one expidition and have been able to do 3 a week just through playing and the expidition token/shards you get from the vault.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do think all the Eternals should have a option to buy with BE, not just the generic set. Probably would make a solid BE sink.

I do think the Teemo ones are fun, though. Naturally they’re all salt-inducing, like “number of attacks missed due to Q’s blind”, “number of champion kills due to the poison DoT,” and “total number of mushrooms triggered by enemy players.”

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    On LCK: On now!
    wow, Jelly on AF is running Sett supp in G#2 T1 V. AF. as a supp main, i <3 seeing off beat picks, amaze-balls

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I do think all the Eternals should have a option to buy with BE, not just the generic set. Probably would make a solid BE sink.

I do think the Teemo ones are fun, though. Naturally they’re all salt-inducing, like “number of attacks missed due to Q’s blind”, “number of champion kills due to the poison DoT,” and “total number of mushrooms triggered by enemy players.”

They said everyone would have a be eternal to buy as well.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    They said everyone would have a be eternal to buy as well.

They do, right now? But they're all very generic like "get takedowns" or "destroy structures" or "kill Epic monsters." Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Me elsewhere:
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I am so lost on top anymore and can't figure out how to get better when I solo. My favorite champs are top laners but I keep running into cheese I can't handle. In the event I end up with a normal lane I usually do ok but often get jungle camped which is very demoralizing. I'm close to feeling how I did about the game when I quit playing for almost three years. I don't want to quit again yet because I still enjoy playing with friends but they aren't always available and I can't find a way to practice and improve.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Butters wrote: »
    I am so lost on top anymore and can't figure out how to get better when I solo. My favorite champs are top laners but I keep running into cheese I can't handle. In the event I end up with a normal lane I usually do ok but often get jungle camped which is very demoralizing. I'm close to feeling how I did about the game when I quit playing for almost three years. I don't want to quit again yet because I still enjoy playing with friends but they aren't always available and I can't find a way to practice and improve.

What matchups are you struggling with? What's your champion pool? I'm not sure what you're calling cheese.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Fun fact and completely unrelated to tilting from reading my own team's chat, if you get into promos for, say, Silver 2, and then proceed to demote down to Silver 4, when you get back into promos for Silver 2 you do NOT get a free win.

Also I really didn't expect to be this bad after taking a year-ish off the game but what can you do. I definitely need to just start muting chat at the beginning of every game. Everything necessary can be communicated in pings (I don't flame but I do get into long-winded arguments about how, no, actually, I am not the worst person to ever play the game because I overextended that one time).

You aren't remotely bad though! You carried clash so hard and definitely still play like high gold low plat. The problem is probably adapting your play to silver teammates--for both you and Roz . You simply cannot expect people to pick up what you are putting down. If you are going to gank you have to ping 9,000,000 times because your team might not realize it and even then they might not follow up with the damage you expect given their level and items, cause they're just playing kinda weirdly. Basically you probably have to commit less unless it is very definitely a 1v1; you also can't expect your team to be smart about your split and likely need to group more than you would if you were playing optimally.

Hah, I appreciate the kind words! I am climbing a bit now, the hydra buffs are nice for both of my champs.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    a

What matchups are you struggling with? What's your champion pool? I'm not sure what you're calling cheese.

So last night I played three games as Mordekaiser all on top side. Yes I know he's top tier (allegedly) but I'm bronze-level so I'm not good.

Game 1: Went up against a Jayce and beat his ass pretty hard. Took tower first after I got two kills on him. But mid and jungle fed super hard on my team and we pissed away a strong lead. Not much to say here just chronicling the night in my head as I write this.

Game 2: Went up against a Trynd that beat me harder than I beat the Jayce. I got outplayed after helping leash which gave him a kill at level 1. The screwup was on me and I accept that but he proceeded to lean on me the whole lane and I couldn't figure out anything I could do. I tried my best to farm under tower but he got so far ahead that after one more kill (he and jungle tower dove me) he was able to kill me under tower freely. I think figuring out what to do when I fall behind early is tripping me up the most. It seems there are so many champs that are capable of denying me farm under tower while still poking me enough to eventually dive. I am hoping that there is something more I can figure out to do (beyond just being better next time) that losing an early 1v1 doesn't automatically mean I'll lose the lane.

Game 3: Ran into a Shaco playing top which is an example of what I am calling cheese. After helping leash again I came into a lane littered with his traps and he stuffed me under tower so hard I couldn't get any CS at all. One trap that was just outside of my tower's sight range took 20% of my health at level 1 and he pushed the lane so hard that I couldn't last hit. My jungle Kayne came once when I was under tower, but he ran into another shaco trap himself and quickly got killed by him before I could get near the fight. I was clueless on what to do this whole match.

Other cheesy stuff:

- Jungle camping top after a successful gank appears very prevalent now. It happens to me a lot and I'm seeing it in streams too. So apparently getting ganked you are forced under tower for the next wave on your immediate return where 30% or more of your farm is denied because you're trapped under tower. If the lane is frozen, then you lose all the farm because you get double-teamed as soon as you leave tower.
    - I play some bot too and I am running into a 4-man invade from bottom side that has gotten me once and got my teammates in one of the games described above. Somehow 4 bot side enemies are making it I think to the bushes just left of bottom tower undetected. I don't know exactly what path they are taking but my guess is this would be avoidable but also involved burning an early ward in a location you'd rather not.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I say this as a casual player/jungler and take no pride in doing so.

Choosing who to gank is definitely a mind game. I don't know if the meta has changed or what, but I've found more success ganking the opponent's losing lane, thank trying to prop up our own losing lane.

Basically, if I don't have confidence that top knows what they're doing, I'm not going to gank for them, because I don't have faith that they know how to capitalize. If Mid/Bot is doing good, I will absolutely prioritize their lanes, because it will be far more likely that we get a kill, resulting in a snowball and potentially tilting our opponent. Helping out a weak laner may slow down enemy momentum, but, in my experience, only temporarily, before the poor laner starts falling behind again. One or two successful ganks on a strong laner is far more likely to result in a snowball for that laner, which benefits the whole team in the long run, and puts the opponents on tilt.

If there's one thing that irks me more than anything, it's a laner who blames the jungler for their poor performance. Especially when I play Malphite, whose ganks are only so so before level 6.

I'm not gonna gank for you if you're at 20% health against a full Tryn. If you're top, he's likely to outlevel me early game, and the likelihood is that, at best, he'll just spin away, or at worst, he'll kill us both. I'd much rather take my chances against the mid Orianna who's pushed all the way into our tower because our mid went back and is now on her way back to the lane with new items and a full health bar.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    So a couple of things I have noticed as a returning Season 6 player are:

A) game quality has vastly increased. What is now considered high Iron low Bronze play was considered Silver play back then, based on expected CS counts, objective times, etc.

B) people focus positions much harder, even in Normals. If you dabble in an off role, you'll have MAYBE three games if you're lucky before you come across a player who only plays that role, and you will be murdered.

C) Junglers specifically are concentrating far harder on Dragon (and Herald now that it's a thing) than on previous seasons' super aggressive gank strategies. This, in turn, means lane prio (a term I don't recall even hearing back then) is huge.

• Options
    I don't feel like I was blaming the jungler for my performance in any way in that post.

• Options
    I don't feel like I was blaming the jungler for my performance in any way in that post.

I don't think anyone was suggesting you were? More of a "here are my experiences that connect to this thought," unless I misread.

As a reminder / heads-up, Clash is scheduled again for next weekend (March 14-15)! I guess it worked out for EU last week.

Me elsewhere:
  • Options
    OMG I hate this game sometimes. Load up flex que, que for mid and top. Get ADC. Ok, time to Cait. My Support bans cait, then picks anivia. Fuck it, I"m a karthus main, lets adc it.

Anivia buys 5 mana gems, leaves lane immediatly pretty much, leaves me to 2v1. Second most CS in the game, most assists, and never died in lane. But man this game sucks some times.

• Options
    Been playing rumble in flex que. Having a lot of fun and loving him. Winning lane most games by a large margin and coming out ahead on kills. But I'm reminded of why I mained karthus. I can do a lot in team fights as rumble, but don't feel I can carry. Karthus, I just wade into the carries with my E on, then hit R after I die and swing the game.

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Decided to play ranked again because I had too much free time lately. Went 2-8 provisions which got me to Iron 2 and currently B2 after a week or so worth of matches.

My highest rank was Gold 2 on Season 3 as mid laner but stopped playing rank games in season 5 after going 7-3 provisions. It's been mostly ARAM as funizes.

I do agree 100% with @R-dem points. Still some toxic players but not as much as I remember(OMG Why won't jungle help my lane? No thanks bud, you fed your buddy 4 kills in 7 minutes and he is level 8 and I am still level 5). Definitely more positive players than before.

I decided to play jungle with Noc because I "think" it's most impactful for the ideal outcome.

I still hang out at old Penny Arcade chat room so hit me up if you want to duo rank. FYI, I don't have mic.

• Options
    a
    a

So last night I played three games as Mordekaiser all on top side. Yes I know he's top tier (allegedly) but I'm bronze-level so I'm not good.

Game 1: Went up against a Jayce and beat his ass pretty hard. Took tower first after I got two kills on him. But mid and jungle fed super hard on my team and we pissed away a strong lead. Not much to say here just chronicling the night in my head as I write this.

Game 2: Went up against a Trynd that beat me harder than I beat the Jayce. I got outplayed after helping leash which gave him a kill at level 1. The screwup was on me and I accept that but he proceeded to lean on me the whole lane and I couldn't figure out anything I could do. I tried my best to farm under tower but he got so far ahead that after one more kill (he and jungle tower dove me) he was able to kill me under tower freely. I think figuring out what to do when I fall behind early is tripping me up the most. It seems there are so many champs that are capable of denying me farm under tower while still poking me enough to eventually dive. I am hoping that there is something more I can figure out to do (beyond just being better next time) that losing an early 1v1 doesn't automatically mean I'll lose the lane.

Game 3: Ran into a Shaco playing top which is an example of what I am calling cheese. After helping leash again I came into a lane littered with his traps and he stuffed me under tower so hard I couldn't get any CS at all. One trap that was just outside of my tower's sight range took 20% of my health at level 1 and he pushed the lane so hard that I couldn't last hit. My jungle Kayne came once when I was under tower, but he ran into another shaco trap himself and quickly got killed by him before I could get near the fight. I was clueless on what to do this whole match.

Other cheesy stuff:

- Jungle camping top after a successful gank appears very prevalent now. It happens to me a lot and I'm seeing it in streams too. So apparently getting ganked you are forced under tower for the next wave on your immediate return where 30% or more of your farm is denied because you're trapped under tower. If the lane is frozen, then you lose all the farm because you get double-teamed as soon as you leave tower.
    - I play some bot too and I am running into a 4-man invade from bottom side that has gotten me once and got my teammates in one of the games described above. Somehow 4 bot side enemies are making it I think to the bushes just left of bottom tower undetected. I don't know exactly what path they are taking but my guess is this would be avoidable but also involved burning an early ward in a location you'd rather not.

I will try and type some more useful stuff later when I'm not at work, but a few notes:

Game 1 - When you get fed, I think the best thing to do is take your tower and then keep pushing the tier 2. Then switch to bot and do the same thing. Don't go crazy and try to 1v5, ward your flanks, don't push if the rest of your team isn't grouping on a different objective, etc. But a fed Morde can 1v2 so easily due to his ult, whereas he can struggle in teamfights against a lot of ranged champs with cc that know how to kite.

Game 2 - Yeah, top lane is snowbally as hell, and I'm plenty guilty of staying under tower when I know I should go b so I don't die to a dive. Tryn is my go-to ban because there's little room for outplaying him. Basically you can't outtrade him when he has a full rage bar, and if he gets a lead you're never going to be able to come back since he's possibly the best duelist in the game. You will just have to slowly bleed out the lane until you get help or he starts pushing down your inhibitor turret. It's better to just sit back and soak XP than it is to walk up to try and CS in lane and lose half your XP.

Game 3 - Try getting a sweeper next time, and remember to play the lane like playing against Teemo. Don't chase him into bushes without your sweeper, and let your creeps go first when pushing the lane in order to hit any traps. Early MR will help too. You contribute way more to the game than AP Shaco so the goal should be to just farm up, which is easy to do since there can't be any boxes in the creep wave. Push him under tower and roam into the river for scuttle/plants or into their jungle for vision or go B to heal up and buy.

Repeat ganking a lane after a successful gank is just something you will have to deal with and always keep in mind. It's the easiest way to efficiently get a top snowball going. If you immediately TP back to lane, don't go for a fight until you see their JG somewhere else. Buy a control ward after every death. No one at your elo can keep a freeze going for long, it will push back or crash, so just sit back and soak XP.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Something I just learned...

The rift herald has a weak spot that does a big chunk of damage if you hit it

Oops

In fact, if you are a jungler with the ability to displace e.g. Warwick's held Q, you can easily abuse this weak spot to solo Herald far faster than you probably should be able to.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Get up on the herald’s back

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Poke her eye.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    Decided to play ranked again because I had too much free time lately. Went 2-8 provisions which got me to Iron 2 and currently B2 after a week or so worth of matches.

My highest rank was Gold 2 on Season 3 as mid laner but stopped playing rank games in season 5 after going 7-3 provisions. It's been mostly ARAM as funizes.

I do agree 100% with R-dem points. Still some toxic players but not as much as I remember(OMG Why won't jungle help my lane? No thanks bud, you fed your buddy 4 kills in 7 minutes and he is level 8 and I am still level 5). Definitely more positive players than before.

I decided to play jungle with Noc because I "think" it's most impactful for the ideal outcome.

I still hang out at old Penny Arcade chat room so hit me up if you want to duo rank. FYI, I don't have mic.

6-4 provisions (all ADC) and Iron 2 also, last rank was Silver 2 Season 6. Some toxicity, but actually far more people being cooperative. In fact, one game my Leona and I got curb stomped by a smurfing Brand whose summoner name was "Account Number 4". We just told our team lane was lost, I was going to farm safe, and her/jungle would focus top/mid. We lost eventually, but it was way closer than it should have been giving Brand's hard carry.

I have held off on Ranked for now though because I've been spamming Warwick in Normals. I'm 18 in, 72% win rate, and thinking a OTP role swap is in my Ranked future, because he is legit OP.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I just got autofilled in flex as top and figured I'd try something out of my comfort zone so I played Sion for the first time ever, into Camille (since I'm an adc player I usually prefer Teemo)

I d e s t r o y e d her. Obviously I am a toplane genius and this has nothing to do with being bronze in flex queue and gold/plat normally :D

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Why is smurfing so prevalent now? What is the appeal besides easy wins? I feel like they're everywhere even in normals

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Think it depends on the player, people stuck in plat and grinding games with no advancement just want to faceroll, people at higher tiers want to duck long queue times. Maybe some of them want to learn a new role or play with a lower-ranked friend without that friend getting curb stomped by matchmaking.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    oh oops I double posted instead of editing

well

let's discuss how Lux is apparently getting even more skins very shortly (cosmic + dark cosmic, why)

credeiki on
  • Options
    Why is smurfing so prevalent now? What is the appeal besides easy wins? I feel like they're everywhere even in normals

I suspect that it's because automated banning of accounts has gotten much better so a lot of people are on their second, third, etc account and have to level it up

edit: I see a lot of accounts called Reformed[name] that are very clearly banned people's second accounts

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

well

let's discuss how Lux is apparently getting even more skins very shortly (cosmic + dark cosmic, why)

They actually talked about this recently, the answer is that “a Lux skin sells better than most other champion’s skins combined.” Like 10-20x better. So they generally do them often and will use it to let their artists do skins for champions that don’t sell very well or are less popular.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    It's almost weird that I've been playing a lot of Warwick and Nunu&Willump lately, and I don't own any skins for them.

Meanwhile I have DJ Sona and Lunar Eclipse Leona and have yet to play either champion this season.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

well

They actually talked about this recently, the answer is that “a Lux skin sells better than most other champion’s skins combined.” Like 10-20x better. So they generally do them often and will use it to let their artists do skins for champions that don’t sell very well or are less popular.

I bought elementalist lux so I can’t imagine owning more skins for her

It makes sense that her skins are so popular though since she’s one of the most accessible champions to play (easy but always reasonably good to have on your team) and probably has ‘broad appeal’ in that she is both pretty and friendly (without being too sexualized, edgy, niche, etc—but has a strong enough or iconic enough core concept that somehow she’s not boring) so basically any demographic would like her and be part of the market for her skins.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TFW your ADC does so bad that blitz assumes you're the ADC.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    The more I play rumble I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if he's just not great at my elo. I crush with him in lane, and do so much mid game, but come late game, it doesn't seem I can carry no matter how well I"m doing. Total opposite of karthus where if I'm doing well, just hitting R swings the whole team fight/game.

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Was able to claw my up to Silver 4 over the weekend. It seems like the most toxic games are centered around Saturday. I had 3 games straight where my top laner rage quit after one kill(2 Teemo and 1 Garen).

This was especially hard game with really bad team mates.

cisjmvl5mabj.png

• Options
    Rumble’s carry potential lies solely in his ability to hit a good ult in teamfights, and teamfights at lower elos tend to be scattered and uncoordinated.

• Options
    Duo queued with my brother last night and it did NOT go well.

Game 1: he accidentally queued us for ranked (whoops) and our low ELO Lee Sin died 9 times before the 16 minute mark. He then proceeded to blame ADC (me) for the loss (not being with the team) while he ended the game with 18 deaths in 38 min

Game 2: Bro and I went bot again and were handling our business relatively well. But our mid lux rage quit after 3 deaths to a Jayce within like 12 min

I "just can't even" with this game anymore. The community is just as toxic as it ever was in my experience.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Rumble’s carry potential lies solely in his ability to hit a good ult in teamfights, and teamfights at lower elos tend to be scattered and uncoordinated.

rumble is also in the unfortunate position that he is very much a "front line skirmisher" He can poke, but his flamethrower is where his damage is. He is not nearly innately tanky enough to sustain that position. He's run in, flame dmg, run out.

• Options
    Whoo doggy I tell you what
    You want to see toxicity
    Queue up as a jungle in low ELO ranked
    Oh my lordy
    I actually ended up reporting one guy who just completely lost his mind, and even got one of the instant feedback popups it was so bad
    Man I thought I was thicker skinned and ready for it
    I was not
    Back to ADC after a bit of a break