As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    We're having friends over but no idea about food, yet. Whee!

I'd look up J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe for oven wings. Even if you don't have the full time to let the wings bathe in the baking powder dredge, you get some amazing results.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Grocery store hot bar wings. 4 flavors! Plus boneless General Tso "wings".

#notashamed

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, made some pizza sauce for the first time! Smells and tastes pretty great, but I still need to see if it tastes good on the pizza. Used Binging with Babish's deep dish pizza sauce recipe for it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I saw farm raised whole gutted, descaled flash-frozen tilapia at the store yesterday. They were super cheap at just $2:35/lb so I picked up a 4lb package. I've got the first one thawing in the fridge now. I got some lemons, fennel (on sale) and cilantro (also on sale). I think I'll salt and pepper the outside and inside, thinly slice the lemon and fennel to put in the cavity, set over a bed of cilantro and fennel greens than pouch in foil and bake. Maybe I'll do it the other way around and make a bed of sliced lemon and fennel and stuff the herbs inside.

I also found flanken (or english) cut beef short ribs. I'll be preparing them Korean style on the grill. I'm marinating them in an mix of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, gochujang paste, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, worcestershire sauce, canola oil, salt and water. Unlike traditional short ribs where you cook them lowe and slow, these thin cut ribs get cooked hot and fast. In a little while I'll be cranking my grill up to max, letting it heat up for a while then throwing on the 3 rib sections. Cook time will be no more than a couple of minutes per side, depending on how thin they've been cut.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, stuffed crust pizza came out looking good!

ynZLPyK.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Chili report - mixed things up, using Babish's method for creating chili paste for flavoring instead of powder,and it makes a world of difference. Nice fruity, smoky flavor, with a solid burn that isn't overpowering.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I saw farm raised whole gutted, descaled flash-frozen tilapia at the store yesterday. They were super cheap at just $2:35/lb so I picked up a 4lb package. I've got the first one thawing in the fridge now. I got some lemons, fennel (on sale) and cilantro (also on sale). I think I'll salt and pepper the outside and inside, thinly slice the lemon and fennel to put in the cavity, set over a bed of cilantro and fennel greens than pouch in foil and bake. Maybe I'll do it the other way around and make a bed of sliced lemon and fennel and stuff the herbs inside.

I also found flanken (or english) cut beef short ribs. I'll be preparing them Korean style on the grill. I'm marinating them in an mix of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, gochujang paste, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, worcestershire sauce, canola oil, salt and water. Unlike traditional short ribs where you cook them lowe and slow, these thin cut ribs get cooked hot and fast. In a little while I'll be cranking my grill up to max, letting it heat up for a while then throwing on the 3 rib sections. Cook time will be no more than a couple of minutes per side, depending on how thin they've been cut.

Do you guys like whole pouch roasted fish? I sure as fuck do. This was phenomenal. Each fish came in a vac-bag. I threw it in a zip top bag just to be safe but it was well sealed. I defrosted overnight in the fridge. Today when I got home from work I cut off the barbs, opened up the cavity a little more and gave it a good rinse under cold water. I dried it with paper towel, inside and out. I previously mixed ~50/50 salt and pepper. I heavily sprinkled the mix inside and out. I stuffed the cavity with lemon slices, fennel slices, fennel fronds and cilantro. I stuffed some offcuts of fennel in the gills and the mouth. Lastly I drizzled a little olive oil and vinegar over the top. Sealed in a foil pouch, I baked at about 400f for around 30 minutes. I finished by opening the pouch and setting the broiler to high for a few minutes.

I foolishly started trying to eat it with a fork. I quickly remembered all the catfish fries I went to as a child and just went at it with my fingers. There are so many little bones that you can easily pick around but are a total pain in the ass to get at with a fork. In the end, I'd picked everything clean but the head. Still not that adventurous. It was soooo good, especially the skin (which didn't have a single scale left on it). I'll probably have another on Wednesday and maybe even another on Friday to use up the rest of the aromatics. I saved the drippings, intending to drizzle them over as needed but the fish was so tender and juicy that I didn't need em. 10/10, you guys gotta try this.
    5mlpy7d6iew4.jpg

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Someone on Reddit transcribed Jon Bois' chicken soup recipe from the latest Fumble Dimension episode. It sounds rather delicious.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tips or suggestions in regards to French Toast? I haven't made any in years. I usually just whisk two eggs, a splash of milk, a dash of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla extract, dip in some bread (got thick Oat Nut bread for it) then slap on a lightly oiled pan and cook both sides. So kind of generic I guess. I throw some maple syrup and a slice of butter on top then nom nom nom.

Oh and with leftovers I throw some ham/Canadian bacon on top with some Swiss cheese and bake in the oven which makes a nice lunch/dinner.

Anyone else have French Toast hints, tips, suggestions?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    you've got the foundation of a good french toast recipe. anything beyond that just tweak things til it tastes like you want it to

i like to put frangeico in my mix for a little extra boozy/hazelnut note

i had french toast made out of a cinnamon roll recently and that was just ridiculous

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    i always add a bit of maple syrup to the custard to make it easier to brown. Also, I use half and half instead of milk typically. Other than that you listed a pretty solid custard recipe.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I think Challah is my favorite bread for french toast.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Another tip is to use slightly stale bread. Like dried out. It will have a firmer structure and stand up to the custard soak better. Usually just leave out the slices over night with both sides open to air.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I’m weird and do a semi-savory one with baguette rounds, a little salt on top, then maple

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Another tip is to use slightly stale bread. Like dried out. It will have a firmer structure and stand up to the custard soak better. Usually just leave out the slices over night with both sides open to air.

You really want to avoid bread that isn't decently stale imo. If it's not firm enough, it will just fall apart.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I generally use broiche, which is pretty similar to challah.

I like to make a fruit compote type thing to put on top. I don't measure, so these are guesses:
    1.5 cups of berries (I prefer a 50/50 mix between blueberries and raspberries),
    1/4 cup of sugar (can be adjusted to taste)
    half to 1 juiced lemon
    add everything to a small pot and boil until thickened. It helps to burst the berries against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.

Takes about 20 minutes. I keep the leftover fruit in the fridge and use for similar things or as a jam.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

You really want to avoid bread that isn't decently stale imo. If it's not firm enough, it will just fall apart.

There's a reason that the actual French name for the dish translates to "lost bread".

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yes, I would say that the staleness of the bread is mandatory when making french toast.

Potentially a dash of nutmeg to go alongside the cinnamon (a little goes a long way remember!)

I'm definitely due another bottle of Frangelico, bizarrely I've never thought to use it in a sauce.

On a related note, it's Shrove Tuesday in the UK today AKA pancake day. Where, as the name suggests, it is customary to make and consume copious amounts of pancakes. Traditionally these are french crepe style thin pancakes, but I ain't no pancake grognard.

Bestest pancake toppings? LETS GO.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I hadn't considered using stale bread! Will definitely try that by leaving some out the night before.

And since its pancake day, my fav pancake topping is mashed strawberries or blueberries and a bit of whipped cream and powdered sugar! Nom nom nom

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I always add a bit of fresh ground black pepper to my French toast batter. It might sound weird but give it a try some time.

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    I always add a bit of fresh ground black pepper to my French toast batter. It might sound weird but give it a try some time.

A bit of black pepper makes most food better.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    French toast is literally a recipe that originated as a way to use stale bread. Not unlike bread pudding or a ton of other recipes that are basically "soak stale bread in some sort of liquid".

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips or suggestions in regards to French Toast? I haven't made any in years. I usually just whisk two eggs, a splash of milk, a dash of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla extract, dip in some bread (got thick Oat Nut bread for it) then slap on a lightly oiled pan and cook both sides. So kind of generic I guess. I throw some maple syrup and a slice of butter on top then nom nom nom.

Oh and with leftovers I throw some ham/Canadian bacon on top with some Swiss cheese and bake in the oven which makes a nice lunch/dinner.

Anyone else have French Toast hints, tips, suggestions?

This is my go to base recipe for simple batches: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/perfect-quick-easy-french-toast.html

One thing worth taking away no matter what recipe to use is sprinkling a bit of sugar on a side before it hits the pan for a bit of crispness on the surface.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    French toast is literally a recipe that originated as a way to use stale bread. Not unlike bread pudding or a ton of other recipes that are basically "soak stale bread in some sort of liquid".

I love using stale bread for either breadcrumbs in salad or dipping in red wine. Will have to try bread pudding sometime too!

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I really like 'blackened' food. Blackened chicken, fish, whatever. I like making it at home, too.

But, in a effort to eat less meat, I'm wondering if there's any vegetables that are good to blacken? Tofu? Carrots? Eggplant?

Anyone know anything?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I don’t know offhand, but my guess is anything “meaty,” would work.

broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels

Uh

I could see carrots for sure

Do you mean the seasoning blend or the butter/high heat/cast iron cooking method or both?

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Seasoning or both, yeah

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I feel like tofu might stick/disintegrate, but maybe if you use a lot of oil or pre-fry it somehow

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I feel like tofu might stick/disintegrate, but maybe if you use a lot of oil or pre-fry it somehow

Tofu type will make a difference. Probably need firm/extra firm slices and obviously stay away from silken tofu no matter its density level.
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I really like 'blackened' food. Blackened chicken, fish, whatever. I like making it at home, too.

But, in a effort to eat less meat, I'm wondering if there's any vegetables that are good to blacken? Tofu? Carrots? Eggplant?

Anyone know anything?

Mushrooms might be a good bet for the seasoning mix and take well to cooking in fat though you really need to cook them down longer than you might think to really drive out the moisture.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Real firm tofu should be fine, you just have to make sure you extract all the water first.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm trying a "pork chop gravy" recipe tonight and tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.

Basically mushrooms, pork chops, broth, and some wine. Toss in a slow cooker then add a corn starch slurry later.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    You ever grill your broccoli? I like to drizzle whole heads with soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and oil (sesami is particularly good) and grill them on the top shelf while I'm cooking other stuff on the grill top. I keep the heads moving throughout the cooking process to they cook evenly. They're usually done to my liking around the time all the other stuff is done. I like to pull when they're some nice char on the flouret side and the stem is just starting to soften. I'll admit that I usually cut most of the stem off and throw it away but if you want, you can peel the stem while still connected to the head and grill it alongside the heads, brushing with whatever soy and oil that was left in the bowl you seasoned the heads in. I am usually grilling meat on the grill top but if you want to go full vegan, get yourself some firm tofu, tempeh, or seitan and season it with the same mix that went on everything else.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    I prefer my broccoli without gills, personally

• Options

Uh

Do you mean the seasoning blend or the butter/high heat/cast iron cooking method or both?

I think carrots are the ones that wouldn't work. Too high in sugar, so they tend to burn rather then deliciously char the way broccoli/brussel sprouts/etc do.

• Options
    Really, I just need more veggies that I can cover in cumin

Cumin is the best

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Anyone know anything?

Fennel
    Peppers
    Onions

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    When I was about 10 on holiday in Cornwall I had a really delicious meal that I would like to figure out what it was. There were bell peppers, kidney beans, a sweet sauce, and possibly beef. This was at some random pub. I have no idea what cuisine it was meant to be. I'd like to try and cook it.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

Uh

I think carrots are the ones that wouldn't work. Too high in sugar, so they tend to burn rather then deliciously char the way broccoli/brussel sprouts/etc do.

Parsnips have a lot of the traits of a carrot without as much sugar.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Aubergine (egglplant) is definitely a good one. Some recipes have you char the shit of the skin on an open flame and then scoop out the now deliciously smokey flesh to use in the dish.

MUY BIEN.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I managed to get a 2.5 lb chuck roast at the store the other day and I'm planning to sous-vide it. I'm thinking of covering it with onion soup mix and cooking it at 135F for about 30 hours. Does that make sense or does anyone have any recommendations

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman