As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM into 2018!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't mind competitive games but I do mind people who get on my dick about not playing effectively

like look I play unranked for a reason you bozo, I ain't trying to be pro ice gamerboy over here

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I absolutely loath gameplay progression systems in competitive games, it's one of the main reasons I barely play FPSs anymore because a lot of the popular ones are just rife with that

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I don't mind competitive games but I do mind people who get on my dick about not playing effectively

like look I play unranked for a reason you bozo, I ain't trying to be pro ice gamerboy over here

YOU'RE DRAGGING THE TEAM DOWN, MORI

STOP PICKING HANZO

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    rolo get off that dick this instant

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    rolo get off that dick this instant

NEVER

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    competitive minded gamers also tend to be the most insufferable capital G Gamer Dudes in my experience.

I generally don't like games anymore that you are meant to take super seriously at all.

Though to be fair I've been more into fight games recently than ever before but there has been a number of them recently that are much more approachable on the execution front and honestly some fighting players aren't as bad of dicks when you are struggling in my experience, and are much more likely to want to help you improve and encourage you to want to do so which I appreciate.

EDIT: Also the only good competitive shooters are ones where you turn off voice chat and just do what you want and screw anyone who is yelling at you for being bad. Though I gravitate towards modes where you can kinda just fuck around without it mattering too much.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    PUBG is pretty much my ideal competitive experience. I can play it cooperatively with a small group of friends and my only interaction with other people is shooting them in the face.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Competitive is fine, so long as the gameplay loop is fun and the stakes are not terribly high. Spending an hour messing around with resource buildup and weapon drops and farming when you know how a game will end halfway through is rough. Short respawn arena shooters where you are always doing the peak intended experience is great! Even better when the game makes even loosing pretty great, like the dropship escape in Titanfall.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    My best FPS days were still CS 1.6, Unreal Tournament and Medal of Honour tbh

the only modern pure FPS I still like is CS:GO (Destiny 2 pvp is fun but not a pure FPS)

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm generally against progression systems that make you more powerful, but if it just gives you more options, I don't mind. CoD always gives you solid weapons right off the bat, so I'm alright with that style of system (though, I'd prefer entirely cosmetic progression if they have to have something).

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like competitive games but not what they’ve become? Or at least many of them.

Like, everything is all competitive matchmaking and ELO and optimizing and meta.

I just want to hop around on my regular 64 person (or whatever) server and fart around for an hour.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    the only fun I ever had with counterstrike was back when we had a PA server and every week we'd all hop on together and play half seriously, half fucking around building human pyramids bristling with machine guns in the hostage room waiting for a CT to come in and see us and crack up over voice chat

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'm generally against progression systems that make you more powerful, but if it just gives you more options, I don't mind. CoD always gives you solid weapons right off the bat, so I'm alright with that style of system (though, I'd prefer entirely cosmetic progression if they have to have something).

last time I played CoD it was like

okay here's some okay guns, but they all have basic sights and other bits

and then you get matched against people with proper sights and scopes and mag changes and other adjustments and the difference is surprisingly massive

yuck, no thanks

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Anzekay wrote: »

last time I played CoD it was like

okay here's some okay guns, but they all have basic sights and other bits

and then you get matched against people with proper sights and scopes and mag changes and other adjustments and the difference is surprisingly massive

yuck, no thanks

Okay, yeah. The system they have for attachments blows. I haven't played the last couple games, so I had forgotten about that.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    the only fun I ever had with counterstrike was back when we had a PA server and every week we'd all hop on together and play half seriously, half fucking around building human pyramids bristling with machine guns in the hostage room waiting for a CT to come in and see us and crack up over voice chat

Yeah, those were fun times.

I play CS:GO but I pretty much treat it like we did the PA CS:S games, just fucking around in casual and shit talking people and having fun. A coworker of mine plays in the competitive mode, but he doesn't mind inviting me to join him even though I don't think I even have a rank and I'm just decent at the game instead of great. I don't memorize what tactics to use, what the current meta is, or watch Pro Players™ stream the game, but my bud is still cool with me and showing me the ropes and he's just generally a nice dude.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    also I say "the only fun I ever had" but I had a lot of fun with that, I just don't enjoy it that much with matchmaking randos is my point

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Even better when the game makes even loosing pretty great, like the dropship escape in Titanfall.
    This was one of the coolest gameplay elements. Just one last chance to say “Yeah, you won, but I got away!”

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Even better when the game makes even loosing pretty great, like the dropship escape in Titanfall.
    This was one of the coolest gameplay elements. Just one last chance to say “Yeah, you won, but I got away!”

That reminds me of sitting on the exit of the titans in Battlefield 2142 after successfully destroying the other team's titan and murdering their team as they tried to run and jump off it before it blew up. Good times

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I like some competitive games, but not when people turn into raging assholes.

Playing them with a few of your friends is cool

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Friends?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not following

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It's a popular sitcom from the 90s

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    you know, those disembodied voices from across the internet who laugh at your dumb jokes and don't get mad when you sabotage them in the games instead of helping them

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    you know, those disembodied voices from across the internet who laugh at your dumb jokes and don't get mad when you sabotage them in the games instead of helping them

you've lost me again

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Ya but 4.98$ a minute gets expensive playing video games

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Shit, Hobnailed

• Options
    it's money well spent alright

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    So the Starbound PC is pretty shameless about where he sleeps huh
    vxp4ipierrme.png
    e5lfx0elnmjq.png
    njoqrhpnxtol.png
    3g80ixuobztq.png
    WHY DID YOU TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF THAT CAN'T BE COMFORTABLE

You can always tell when someone has never interacted with hay in real life - that shit is scratchy, prickly, cold, and absolutely full of bugs.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Obduction:
    I guess I had forgotten how irritating I found the Maray terminals. Finicky things, even once you know which diagram to draw. Undoing never quite works right. And I definitely never wrapped my head around how to 'read' the display. Auto-correction exacerbates the issue.
    like, ok. They give you a number of diagrams and set you up so you can fill out the cheat work sheet.

Base 4 system, here's 1, that's 5 ... and also clearly 1 + 4. And if that blob starts 4, then the next one ought to start 8. And it does, kinda. But where 4 is just two blobs, 8 requires three.

4, 8 ... so the next blob must start 12, right? no, not really. oh. Well, 12 is 8 + 4, so surely it's just the glyphs for 4 and 8, yeah? No, again, for some ridiculous reason. It's 4, sure, but now the last blob for 8 is using the left fork instead of the right one.

It'll autocorrect and give you the right diagram, but that works much less well for my brain, because I can't know if it corrected to the number I was trying to make, or if it thought I was going for something different.

And then maths and tracing connections and ... I would really have preferred an error beep or something.

I'm sure it makes sense to somebody, but I'm really not convinced that even that person finds it elegant.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    All the old Myst games are coming back.
    Cyan finally got the rights to all of them, and will be releasing versions with modern OS compatibility along with a physical collector's edition package later this year.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I look forward to the lamentation of John Walker.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh whoops, thought you said "Myth" not "Myst"

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Cyan finally got the rights to all of them, and will be releasing versions with modern OS compatibility along with a physical collector's edition package later this year.

I'll gladly buy all those games for like the fifth time

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I'll gladly buy all those games for like the fifth time

Fuck yeeeeesssss

Now everyone can easily play the best Myst game: Myst 3 Exile

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Played a bunch more Into the Breach, its still pretty fun and I've got about half the mechs and pilots unlocked now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    How come there aren't any good pirate themed video games? Like, yeah Black Flag and the new game Ubisoft is making (which just looks like multiplayer black flag ship battles basically) and Sea of Thieves is coming out too, but I was combing through Steam and there is almost nothing to speak of. It's a weird blind spot in gaming genre

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How come there aren't any good pirate themed video games? Like, yeah Black Flag and the new game Ubisoft is making (which just looks like multiplayer black flag ship battles basically) and Sea of Thieves is coming out too, but I was combing through Steam and there is almost nothing to speak of. It's a weird blind spot in gaming genre

Sid Meir's Pirates!?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Sid Meir's Pirates!?

Yeah, I could play that. I never really did, just an hour or so at a friend's house.

I just... I want a realistic pirate rpg. Open world, customizable ship. I'd make the game myself but I'm real dumb. If only I could just be the proverbial idea man...

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hmm I think the judo robots are bad though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It takes a little time to get used to them, but they're extremely solid

This discussion has been closed.