As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm all for weird choices.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Dope, i love never stop never stopping factions.

Excited to see how many starting factions we're getting too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Lui Bei's Shu, Zhuge Liang, and the Five Tiger Generals.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm really tempted to first run Lui Bei just to try and unite all the tiger generals.

Kruite on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Dope, i love never stop never stopping factions.

Excited to see how many starting factions we're getting too.

We're getting 11, not including the Yellow Turban DLC.

1) Cao Cao

2) Liu Bei

3) Sun Jian

4) Yuan Shao

5) Ma Teng

6) Liu Biao

7) Zhang Yan

8) Zheng Jiang

I'm taking the assumption that the final 3 will be:

9) Gongsun Zan

10) Yuan Shu

11) Kong Rong (Based on his banner and unique portrait in the 2nd diplomacy video)

My main concern right now is everyone is all clustered in the North East end of the map (Ma Teng being the exception in the North West). What, exactly, is going on in the South of China?

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly some people are throwing a shit fit because a woman is in a historical game.

• Options
    The Total War Forums are full of Geese; there is a constant whine from members about the most trivial things.

"OMG are those generals in the video the generic portraits? Why can't they be more unique/detailed"

"Unit sizes for cavalry are too small"

"the graphics look terrible"

"where's the naval combat"

"why can't CA deliver a historic title, hero generals shouldn't be in the game"

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly some people are throwing a shit fit because a woman is in a historical game.

Saw someone accuse another of being an incel because they liked the character.

/sigh

• Options
    Make every general female

• Options
    I did notice that Sun Ren is the leader of the Sun family faction in the Diplomacy 2 video.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    The Total War Forums are full of Geese; there is a constant whine from members about the most trivial things.

"OMG are those generals in the video the generic portraits? Why can't they be more unique/detailed"

"Unit sizes for cavalry are too small"

"the graphics look terrible"

"where's the naval combat"

"why can't CA deliver a historic title, hero generals shouldn't be in the game"

Yeah the total war forums are notorious for its extremely goosey neckbeardy community, dedicated to their own very specific and uninformed version of realism.

And it's silly anyway, like the frickin Trung sisters were important military leaders in Vietnam resisting Chinese invasion, and i could think of a few other Chinese examples if i gave it a few minutes.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I feel there is already adapted tellings of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that do precisely that.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I feel there is already adapted tellings of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that do precisely that.

Like Girls und Panzer, but with 3 Kingdoms.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I for one am shocked that historical warfare simulation enthusiasts are not well adjusted and emotionally mature

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

You know how they do that Blood for the Blood God thing every year. Do that, but for international women's day or something. A patch just changes all characters to female for a week.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Give. All. Generals. Supercrowns.

Also Zheng Jiang is my jam. Revolutionary (who becomes the monster they wanted to destroy)? Yes!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I for one am shocked that historical warfare simulation enthusiasts are not well adjusted and emotionally mature

Be fair, at least say 'some' :D

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Koihime Musou :)

It's actually not complete garbage as an anime.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Start every battle with a pop up that says “is feminism good” and if you click no your army automatically loses.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I'll have you know my emotional instability has nothing to do with hating women, thank you.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    DtqMhclWwAADQCJ.jpg

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    They've posted a new blog about what the teams are working on.
    The Fantasy team is in a world of their own. It is a dark world, pulled apart by ceaseless conflict, but this is where the magic happens. No more news for now.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-november-2018

• Options
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-november-2018
    Historical Team – THREE KINGDOMS

Plenty of playtesting, bugfixing, and polishing going on at the moment as we enter the final stretch with THREE KINGDOMS, and it’s really starting to shine.

You may’ve noticed in our recent diplomacy video a few frames of the faction rank screen. Ranking plays an important role in your rise to ultimate power in ancient China, and directly informs how the end game begins to play out in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS.

As a warlord captures and expands settlements, or constructs special buildings in those settlements, they’ll gain prestige, which is what advances their faction rank. Each rank unlocks a new suite of bonuses affecting many aspects of the campaign game, such as improving the satisfaction levels of characters in your faction, increasing the amount of administrators, spies and armies you can employ, new diplomatic options, and more besides.

The top rank is, of course, emperor. Once you reach this level, you can proclaim yourself such, and your capital city becomes your seat of power. Up to three warlords can proclaim themselves emperor, however, so other warlords may beat you to it. However, emperorship can also be earned by capturing the capital of another emperor. As soon as you become emperor, any other self-proclaimed emperors you’re in an alliance with will cease to be your ally.

Moreover, as soon as three new emperors proclaim themselves, the existing child-emperor, Xian of the Han Empire, will abdicate his position. Xian is controlled by Dong Zhuo at the beginning of the game, and control of him – along with his loyal Han Empire as a vassal state – will pass to whoever captures Dong Zhuo’s capital city. Over the course of the campaign, and before three new emperors are proclaimed, control of Xian and vassalage of the Han Empire may well pass between multiple warlords, as they conquer the controlling Warlord’s capital.

For ultimate victory, however, only a single emperor can rule over China. If you’re in the end game and vying for supremacy with two others, you’ll need to capture their capitals, or perhaps subdue them into abdicating their emperorship by other means – a mighty show of military force may do it, for example. Or, if you’re lucky enough to command a loyal vassal who captures an emperor’s seat, he’ll pass the emperorship to you.

There can be only one!

If you’d like to know more about ranks and how to cement your position as emperor, take a look at our recent Rally Point stream here.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I was literally coming here to post exactly that!

So, this is how you get your Three Kingdoms. Not necessarily the Three Kingdoms you might expect, but they are likely to be there.

• Options
    Which is fair really, the three kingdoms were never truly only three kingdoms

• Options
    I'm getting more and more excited about Three Kingdoms, and I was originally not even going to buy it. Their marketing has been great.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've loved the Three Kingdoms stuff since the old NES games. I was alot better at those simpler games come to think of it :D

I remember stealing the food of armies all the time and forcing a surrender.

Bigity on
  • Options
    ykzhj28fh33g.png
    Born in the former Lu state, Rong was a resourceful young boy. When he grew older, Kong Rong entered the bureaucracy of the Eastern Han dynasty.

As a brilliant politician and scholar, he was successively promoted and became chancellor of Beihai Commandery in Qing Province, which was invaded by the Yellow Turban rebels. After a few years showing his worthiness at Beihai, the people had become devoted to Kong Rong – they say that he’s an honest man, and an educated and determined leader.

Kong Rong is said to be a descendant of Confucius. Famed for his quick wits and elaborate literary style, Kong Rong was ranked among the Seven Scholars of Jian’an, a group of representative literati.

Armed with a dangerously sharp tongue, Kong Rong is near constantly opposed to Cao Cao in his political views, often coming up with inventive ways to insult him. This included trying to persuade Cao Cao that he was not powerful enough to defeat Yuan Shao.

Despite his intellectual sabre rattling, Kong Rong’s main focus is on wisdom and learning – he believes in intelligence and analysis to win the war. The bureaucracy of China can only succeed through the support of education. Therefore, Kong Rong concentrates on reconstruction of the city and the establishment of schools.

Now, as chaos consumes China yet again, Kong Rong knows that only though knowledge and insight will prosperity prevail once more.
    Playing as Kong Rong is a relatively peaceful experience, with him favouring a pacifist playstyle that rewards peaceful trade as well as spreading education and knowledge.

For Kong Rong, knowledge is power. His strategy is to seek out information and education to beat the enemy, not stoop to bloodshed as a first resort.

Trade influence is a new system for all factions that determines how much they benefit from a trade agreement, and one that is particularly important for Kong Rong. Trade income is determined by comparing the relative trade influence of the two factions – the more trade influence you have, the more of the shared pot will flow to you as income. In short, the more trade influence you have, the more you’ll benefit from trade agreements.

As a master in the art of trade, Kong Rong has two unique ways to further boost his trade influence: by maintaining high population numbers, and with a unique deal in diplomacy that further increases the strength of his web of trade relations.

This means that Kong Rong doesn’t necessarily need to expand very far and can instead ally himself with warlords with more expansive territories by forging lucrative trade agreements and using the resulting wealth to further build up his existing settlements. Large settlements mean more prestige as well as wealth, allowing him to go to war if he must but also enabling him to win the campaign with a relatively few territories under his command if he so chooses.
    xnx159fr2v8f.png
    knr1ewdv6msj.png
    7hczd0jjz3qs.png
    Campaign Progression
    Kong Rong’s initial concern is the Yellow Turbans, who must be dealt with one way or another before he can proceed.

From then on, Kong Rong’s early campaign is relatively safe – but also well-guarded by remnants of the crumbling Han Empire. Early expansion won’t be easy, but the other major warlords are unlikely to turn against him with any great haste.

What kind of player is Kong Rong for?
    Kong Rong is the choice of perceptive and sharp minds. He is the perfect hero for those who focus on logic, rules, and reason while fighting for the greater good. Under his sage guidance, the empire will be stand strong once more.

If you want to pursue a strategy of going tall and a relatively peaceful playthrough, Kong Rong is one of your best choices.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Fanatical has Total Warhammer 2 for $27 for 24 hours for anyone who has been holding off.

• Options
    I will play as Kong Rong and whenever I lose a battle I will say "I guess it's all Kong Rong for me"

• Options
    Like all Kong Rong players, I have a perceptive and sharp mind.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Geth, please ban Tube from this thread.

Seriously though, I wonder if that's what he said to himself when Cao Cao ordered him and his family executed.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    After knocking it out of the park with Total Warhammers 1 and 2, I have full faith in CA to make an awesome game. There are a lot of devs I'm boycotting these days. CA is one of a just a few developers who I will buy games from at launch.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Kong Rong is the very definition of a guy who was too smart for his own good.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I'm really happy that TW: 3 Kingdoms seems to be going all-in on embracing the big personalities of its source material

It really fits the Total War brand too, since Romance of the Three Kingdoms is largely a book about leadership, and especially different types of failure of leadership

So it gives you all these great faction leader personalities with interesting strengths and weaknesses

• Options
    DtzkMX7W4AEv_iZ.jpg

Kana wrote: »
    I'm really happy that TW: 3 Kingdoms seems to be going all-in on embracing the big personalities of its source material

It really fits the Total War brand too, since Romance of the Three Kingdoms is largely a book about leadership, and especially different types of failure of leadership

So it gives you all these great faction leader personalities with interesting strengths and weaknesses
    Well...leadership and backstabbing the people above you for your own profit. ;X

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Y'know, while the Vampirates gunline was loads of fun, there's just still something about the joy of Skaven artillery that sings to me. It must be the glowing green projectiles, but it's so much more visceral and satisfying to me to see that crash down and taint the landscape.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    [...]taint the landscape.

That got me thinking. After a battle against the skaven cleanup of the battlefield is kind of like cleaning up a combination Depleted uranium and UXOs. I do not envy Empire decontamination workers.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    [...]taint the landscape.

That got me thinking. After a battle against the skaven cleanup of the battlefield is kind of like cleaning up a combination Depleted uranium and UXOs. I do not envy Empire decontamination workers.

They contract that out to the Bretonnians, it's fine.

(The Bretonnian decon teams are just hordes of peasants.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    For those who may be interested in learning about the Three Kingdoms period and the personalities therein before the release of Total War: Three Kingdoms, I have a recommendation.

While obviously reading the source material itself would be the best way, even I will admit that it can be difficult (I have read it twice... it was a slog each time, I admit). However, there is a decent anime run available on Youtube that I can strongly recommend to get you to care about the personalities on display during this time period.

It is 47 episodes long, English subtitles over Japanese and (sadly) only covers the Oath in the Peach Garden through to the end of the Battle at Red Cliff. It is one of the most faithful sources of media that I am aware of to the original writing, and I find it quite easy to watch. The subtitles themselves also contain several context clues about what various terms and phrases 'mean' as the characters speak.

I won't directly link it here, because I'm not sure what side of the 'No Anime' rule that this would fall under, but a search of MG Romance of the Three Kingdom should find you the playlist for it. Like I say, it is well worth the watch if you want to familiarise yourself with the game period.

The Brayster on
This discussion has been closed.