As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Orc Big Uns are not exactly something the sneer at against cavalry. Engaging large units with them and entrapping with Big Un Boar Riders is a pretty good strategy.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Orc Big Uns are not exactly something the sneer at against cavalry. Engaging large units with them and entrapping with Big Un Boar Riders is a pretty good strategy.

Which makes them good against many types of large, but the lack of charge defense (and speed) means they're not that great against cavalry. For your absolute elite army though there is always the Broken Tusk mob.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Ideally, I'd like each faction/starting position to have one or two Lords...with the exception of the Empire.

I think the Empire's special hat could be that they have like five lords at Altdorf (because there are a ton of lore characters based there) so you can easily recruit a bunch of legendary lords when playing as them. Then give Boris Toddbringer in Middenland and maybe Marius Leitdorf in Averland since he's a crazy dude and maybe you could take his campaign in a kind of VtM:B Malkavian direction.

For Vampire Counts, make Red Duke/Mousillon playable, and move Kemmler to the Grey Mountains. Just move Skarsnik's start a little further south down the mountain chain, and then turn it's previous location into a new province called "Central Grey Mountains." Then stick Castle Drachenfels and Schluesselschloss there for Kemmler's new "Drachenfel" faction to start at. Maybe stick Ubersreik at the border where the path from Reiksland enters the mountains, if you want a third settlement and to go full Vermintide with the locations.

Also give us Sarthorael somehow. I imagine a bigger rework for Warriors of Chaos will probably have to wait until the third game, but you can still go ahead and give us Sarthorael and his "Chaos Gathering" faction. Not sure what would be a good starting point for him, though given his apparent backstory in this game, he could theoretically start anywhere (just not sure where he'd get his army from, but I guess you can handwave that for game mechanics).

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Your anti-large is fine. Its Savage Orc Big Un Boar Riders. (or Regular OBUBR's)

Oh they have armor? You're AP. Oh they have AP? You don't have armor. You're pretty golden unless fighting late game Bretonia armies(or Wuuzag) since they have magic damage.

Plus the cavalry bonus skills increase melee attack(and charge bonus), which are the primary things you need when doing anit-large work because cycle charging is not realistic. (And if you have Wuuzag every savage orc army bonus stacks for SOBUBR's)

And you're right that Giants aren't dragons... they don't have a breath weapon but they're a load better as a monster. Sun dragons have 6,000 HP, 50 armor, and 46 melee attack. Giants have 11,000 HP, 30 armor, and 68 melee attack and they have cheaper purchase/upkeep. OK its not as good as a Necrosphinx but like... "second strongest melee monster in the game" isn't a bad backbone for a fighting force

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    They also have no melee defense and very little speed, so they'll suffer pretty badly even against really low-tier anti-large units (or archers for that matter). Don't even think about fielding giants against high elves.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    They're faster than your infantry by a good deal and that is all that matters as a line breaker. You can keep them behind the lines until you use them to smash a formation.

High elf archers are only a problem in the early game, when you don't have any giants. Lategame you will have cavalry to deal with them.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    What is TW getting at with Lizardmens' Cold Blooded Logic passive?

It basicly means that they're not very interested in side-dealing when it comes to diplomacy. They either want a treaty or they don't, and they're not swayed by what else you throw in the pot (gold, other treaties etc) or if they like you or not. Your trustworthyness, power and position is all that counts.

Ah, like the White Lions of Disgaea.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Playing vampire counts I'm kinda stuck in my corner.

Empire hates me so I was courting the Dwarfs who started to really like me but Empire have now formed a military alliance with them.

This means I'm now stuck in my corner as I can't take on both the Empire and the Dwarfs.

Think I'm just gonna develop the provinces I do have until chaos shows up for the first time and then just take all the settlements that get razed.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Empire hates me so I was courting the Dwarfs who started to really like me but Empire have now formed a military alliance with them.

This means I'm now stuck in my corner as I can't take on both the Empire and the Dwarfs.

Think I'm just gonna develop the provinces I do have until chaos shows up for the first time and then just take all the settlements that get razed.

Can't you expand into Kislev?

P.S: You're also hideously strong on the defense and your province economics are some of the most powerful in the game once you reach tier 5 cities. So if you can develop your provinces until the point where you can leave 2-3 armies to face the dwarfs while you attack the empire with 2+ armies...

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Can't you expand into Kislev?

Yeah but Empire have taken one town in a region of three annoyingly.

I'll find somewhere to go until Chaos creates some space. Might just send an army via the sea to attack Bretonnia or something ha.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    The trick to vampire counts is that you do not care much if you hold territory, only if you own it right now. Your early economy buildings are terrible. So loot and occupy the surrounding areas and use the money to make your central province strong. Then either move on or crush the rebellion

Also stacking leadership buffs make ethereal units hella good. (they still can't take a charge though)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You could also try spreading your vampiric corruption to nearby provinces with your hero units. If you get it high enough, you can get a vampire army to spawn and attack the owners of the province to claim it themselves. Once they do, swoop in and take it from them.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You could also try spreading your vampiric corruption to nearby provinces with your hero units. If you get it high enough, you can get a vampire army to spawn and attack the owners of the province to claim it themselves. Once they do, swoop in and take it from them.

Yeah. Especially in provinces where you have some holdings, all other holdings will fall relatively quickly once you start to build corruption buildings and send in the necromancers.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I've always played VC by having my home provinces act as a giant corruption engine, just making a bunch of corruption and spreading it to neighboring provinces as hard as possible.

I have not yet finished a VC campaign, though.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So Rise of the Republic is out, and so far pretty damn fun. I really like where they are going with rome 2, the team making the new content seems to be doing some pretty solid work.

Also it would be pretty neat to do a Rise of the Republic --> Grand campaign --> Imperator Augustus Campaign --> Empire Divided --> Attilla --> Age of Charlemagne series of campaigns as Rome/Western Rome/Theme of Sicily

You could pretty much cover nearly the entirety of Roman History.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I'm very tempted by Rise of the Republic. I'm also looking forward to trying out all the changes they've made.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Started a new campaign as Macedon last night. I like the changes I've seen so far. Looking through the factions I realize there's a bunch of grand campaigns I never got to. Suebi and Carthage in the Grand Campaign, Arevaci in Hannibal, and that's not counting any of the factions from the recent wave of DLC.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I think they did a pretty good job at making the factions unique, no wrath of sparta syndrome here (In fairness, wrath of sparta is pretty period accurate, they just really didn’t use much more than hoplites and light cavalry and ranged back then, but a playable thraike or persia would have helped a ton).

I was playing samnites though, and it’s great because you fight greeks early on, so you are pushing roman/gallic style swordsman armies vs hoplites and seige. Very nice.

• Options
    Rise of republic is fun. Have not explored all the new political options yet.

But I just had 3 bordering nations declare war and invade my provinces. Oh and now my pacifist faction starts a civil war, taking the region where most of the invaders came from.

Fun times

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    In Rise I had the wife of one of my primary generals constantly provoke another troublesome guy in another family to the point where he had no cunning, which made him vulnerable to another political action from a general, and then again from a higher ranking general. I got him down to 0 gravitas and made him commit suicide.

GRIM DARK.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Rise fo the Republics factions are hilariously unbalanced. They range from "whipping boy" Samnites, where Rome is abasicly going "anything you can do I can do better" to the hilariously powerful Iolei, which who are basicly woodelves. Except instead of treemen and dryads they have the Nuragic Runners who don't have much melee defense but deal 55 damage with their spiked fists.

• Options
    Lol, and the expansionism is making any kind of diplomacy impossible

• Options
    They said you can trade regions, but I don't see the option under the diplomacy.

I have had 5 regions gifted to me through ambassadors missions. So yea, its a pain to spend the now 5k to send someone out, but there's a small chance to gain a large gold donation (5-10k) or the "your diplomat spin words of gold, x faction has gifted you a region!"

• Options
    Finished my Norsca campaign last night, which was my final campaign for the first game. Now I'll probably knock out a few random achievements and then start up the second game.

Norsca was a nice way to end it. I like that you have control over when the Chaos Invasion starts. Also, when it did start, it popped eight full level 30 stacks of Chaos that were automatically in a military alliance with me so I could direct the utter wave of destruction as I wished.

So we burned the old world to the ground.

Also, I don't know how titles work, I just see them randomly added to characters sometimes, but in this game Archaon the Everchosen somehow got renamed to Archaon the Holy. I tried to screenshot it, but apparently hit the wrong button since there was no Steam screenshot window when I exited the game.

Oddly I never got the achievement for completing all quests on a single character, despite completing all quests on a bunch of different characters.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Finished my Norsca campaign last night, which was my final campaign for the first game. Now I'll probably knock out a few random achievements and then start up the second game.

Norsca was a nice way to end it. I like that you have control over when the Chaos Invasion starts. Also, when it did start, it popped eight full level 30 stacks of Chaos that were automatically in a military alliance with me so I could direct the utter wave of destruction as I wished.

So we burned the old world to the ground.

Also, I don't know how titles work, I just see them randomly added to characters sometimes, but in this game Archaon the Everchosen somehow got renamed to Archaon the Holy. I tried to screenshot it, but apparently hit the wrong button since there was no Steam screenshot window when I exited the game.

Oddly I never got the achievement for completing all quests on a single character, despite completing all quests on a bunch of different characters.

My favorite part was choosing to kill Archie and become the Everchosen myself. In my Wulfrik campaign I stacked the -75% upkeep with a bunch of other upkeep reduction bonuses. Full 20 stacks of elite monster armies were costing ~200gpt.

• Options
    Out of curiosity, can the Norsca actually have the buffs from multiple gods at the same time? I know it locks you from gaining more once you hit level 3 with one of them, but could you get like level 2 with all of them and then hit level 3 on one to get it's level 3 buffs while still retaining the level 2 rewards for all the others? Or when it locks the others does it cancel their buffs?

I just bee-lined for the Hound for the XP buffs and RoR Hellcannon, and didn't experiment with trying to get multiple buffs.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, can the Norsca actually have the buffs from multiple gods at the same time? I know it locks you from gaining more once you hit level 3 with one of them, but could you get like level 2 with all of them and then hit level 3 on one to get it's level 3 buffs while still retaining the level 2 rewards for all the others? Or when it locks the others does it cancel their buffs?

I just bee-lined for the Hound for the XP buffs and RoR Hellcannon, and didn't experiment with trying to get multiple buffs.

Nah, eventually you have to pick one to commit to.

• Options
    The chaos gods are not into poly-amory; not even slaanesh

• Options
    Last night I thought I was going crazy. I thought I remembered a tutorial pop-up telling me how when a character has access to more than one Lore of Magic, there is a button to switch between the Lores.

Except I couldn't think of a single character that had access to multiple Lores. So I was loading up all my various save files and checking various wizards. Was it Balthasar Gelt? Nope. Heinrich Kemmler? Nope. Azhag? Nope. Archaon? Nope. Fay Enchantress? Nope.

I was beginning to think that perhaps I had played so much Total Warhammer that I had somehow dreamed about additional mechanics and tutorials.

But at the last minute, it turned out I'm not crazy. It was Mannfred von Carstein. He has full access to two different Lores. Is he the only character that does?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know I've clicked that button on someone else, I just can't remember who.

• Options
    I believe Mannfred is the only one. There are many characters that have specific spells from different trees, like Teclis, but Mannfred is the only one who has full access to two.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    There's an in-lore reason for Humans not being able to wield more than one type of magic. Basically humans are simple minded and weak willed. Just using a single school of magic is enough to drive most humans insane with power. Only ones who have spent a lifetime training at a college of magic can safely wield such power in battle. When humans try to use more than 1 school of magic at a time they are driven insane with power and begin mutating into Chaos spawn and other such horrors. Many Elves of all flavor are strong enough to wield multiple schools of magic. Vampires have their own corruption and aren't affected by chaos like that. Dwarves channel magical powers through runes and thus aren't susceptible. Greenskins can use the Big Waaah or the Little Waaah but not both without unpleasant effects. Fimir, and other such ancient races can safely wield the different schools though it's not represented in game. The Chaotic powers can wield all manner of foul magics because they are already horrible mutated demons.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I believe Mannfred is the only one. There are many characters that have specific spells from different trees, like Teclis, but Mannfred is the only one who has full access to two.

Yeah, Teclis is who I was thinking of. I believe you can get him to a point where you get a switch schools button.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, Teclis is who I was thinking of. I believe you can get him to a point where you get a switch schools button.

Loremasters of Hoeth have access to spells from a bunch of different schools.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    High Elf mages can get a trait that gives them two spells from another lore of magic, so they get a school swapping button in that case as well.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

The best part of that trailer is at 1:37. It's Sun Ren! Romance of the Three Kingdoms is obviously pretty darn male-dominated, but there's a couple of badass ladies in there, and Lady Ren, the daughter of Sun Jian, is the badassest warrior lady of them all.

SunShangxiang.jpg
    "Our lord has a younger sister, a tough, brave woman with a retinue of several hundred females who normally carry swords and who have chambers filled full of weapons. She is a woman to outman any man."

Nice to see her getting included

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

The best part of that trailer is at 1:37. It's Sun Ren! Romance of the Three Kingdoms is obviously pretty darn male-dominated, but there's a couple of badass ladies in there, and Lady Ren, the daughter of Sun Jian, is the badassest warrior lady of them all.

SunShangxiang.jpg
    "Our lord has a younger sister, a tough, brave woman with a retinue of several hundred females who normally carry swords and who have chambers filled full of weapons. She is a woman to outman any man."

There's a part of a novel where she rides out to save her husband I think; Lie Bei. One of the Wu generals/bodyguards rides out to stop her and she basically scolds him; orders him to ride back in shame or save her husband. I need to go and picks up the novels

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

SunShangxiang.jpg

There's a part of a novel where she rides out to save her husband I think; Lie Bei. One of the Wu generals/bodyguards rides out to stop her and she basically scolds him; orders him to ride back in shame or save her husband. I need to go and picks up the novels

I don't think she ever gets a chance to throw down on the battlefield, but she does have a pretty hilarious section where she's just gotten married, but she knows her family is plotting against her husband. She's like, "well, this is bullshit" and smuggles him out of their lands. A guard tries to stop her and says he's been ordered to stop her or face death, and her response is basically, "Bitch, I'll kill you right here for insubordination and you know I could do it."

And the guards are pretty much like, A, she'll totally kill us, and B, even if we managed to beat her, by the time her dad hears we killed her he'll probably have cooled off on that whole, "kill my insubordinate daughter" thing anyway, and then where will we be?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So hyped for 3 Kingdoms. I'm planning on building a new rig around the time this comes out. I'm definitely going to be using 3 Kingdoms as a primary focus of the build. I'm targeting 1440p at 144hz with everything maxed out, if at all possible. Anything north of 60fps will make me happy.

This discussion has been closed.