As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Who even wants to be a sports coach in a world where you can't use your position to enforce abusive sexual practices?

A question I suspect that goes through the minds of many parents when their kids start expressing an interest in children's sports.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Who even wants to be a sports coach in a world where you can't use your position to enforce abusive sexual practices?

A question I suspect that goes through the minds of many parents when their kids start expressing an interest in children's sports.

Or scouting, or acting, or modeling, or the church...

I guess there's still book club?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Oh shit, Nassar got stabbed? I thought he was already dead. Let me just take a big sip of coffee while I skim the thread for details...
    AD might be in trouble soon.

The fuck?

Seriously though, I did think he was dead, so I'm quite pleased to learn he has still not escaped his long miserable punishment, which will now be compounded with a lifetime of chronic pain.

Edit: Maybe I confused him with the Sandusky thing?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh shit, Nassar got stabbed? I thought he was already dead. Let me just take a big sip of coffee while I skim the thread for details...

The fuck?

Seriously though, I did think he was dead, so I'm quite pleased to learn he has still not escaped his long miserable punishment, which will now be compounded with a lifetime of chronic pain.

Those are several different things:

Nassar was stabbed (apparently after making lewd comments about players at Wimbledon) in prison by a guy who was going to get out next year but he keeps stabbing people.

Sandusky is alive and trying to get himself a new trial (and losing).

The other thing is Northwestern's athletic department appears to be a tire fire at the moment. Football team was doing all sorts of fun naked hazing stuff, baseball coach was a total asshole. Both coaches fired so I think the athletic director (AD) must be in hot water as well.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The fuck?

Those are several different things:

Nassar was stabbed (apparently after making lewd comments about players at Wimbledon) in prison by a guy who was going to get out next year but he keeps stabbing people.

The other thing is Northwestern's athletic department appears to be a tire fire at the moment. Football team was doing all sorts of fun naked hazing stuff, baseball coach was a total asshole. Both coaches fired so I think the athletic director (AD) must be in hot water as well.

I think the AD was just hired a couple months ago, so he'll probably be fine.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Ha! Could have sworn one of these assholes got unmasked posthumously; happy to be as wrong as possible.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Ha! Could have sworn one of these assholes got unmasked posthumously; happy to be as wrong as possible.

Maybe you're confusing him with Joe Paterno?

While I'm not aware he actually did any assaults, he was the one covering for Sandusky for many years. He died after the Sandusky allegations became public, but before any charges could potentially go his way (obstruction, etc).

Basically the same as what Jim Jordan is accused of. Providing cover for a rapist.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He knew as far back as 1976 and still kept Sandusky around for another 35 years

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    He knew as far back as 1976 and still kept Sandusky around for another 35 years

I did say "many". I hedged on using "decades", because I wasn't familiar enough with the story to say with certainty.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Joe was a football god and his legacy outside PSU alumni is in ruin. Meanwhile Gym Jordan still gets to be an embarrassment of a Congressman.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Northwestern's hazing scandals continue to expand. Two lawsuits are coming against the school - one over hazing on the volleyball team, and one over the football team, where the suit claims that even coaches were hazed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Because East Lansing and sexual abuse and harassment seem joined at this point, we have Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker sexually harassing a rape survivor and victim advocate who works with college athletes to teach them about sexual assault:
    According to her complaint, Tracy sat frozen for several minutes while Tucker made sexual comments about her and masturbated. His violation, she said, reopened 25-year-old wounds from her rape by four men – two Oregon State University football players, a junior college player and a high school recruit.

“The idea that someone could know me and say they understand my trauma but then re-inflict that trauma on me is so disgusting to me, it’s hard for me to even wrap my mind around it,” she told USA TODAY. “It’s like he sought me out just to betray me.”

In his statements to the Title IX investigator, Tucker acknowledged masturbating on the call but said Tracy grossly mischaracterized the episode. According to him, they had consensual “phone sex.”

“Ms. Tracy’s distortion of our mutually consensual and intimate relationship into allegations of sexual exploitation has really affected me,” Tucker wrote in a March 22 letter to the investigator. “I am not proud of my judgment and I am having difficulty forgiving myself for getting into this situation, but I did not engage in misconduct by any definition.”

Well, that's yikes, and the fact he's resorting to the old "it was consentual" defense means they have him dead to rights on the call. Further complicating matters is that Tucker's contract with Sparty is so much of a turkey that it could be served next Thanksgiving, and this would be an out for the school, so expect to see his defenders bring that up as well. That said, Michigan State absolutely needs to punt his ass through the goalposts.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Two points:

1) He also tried to claim that Tracy's original claim of being raped was fabricated as part of his defense.
    2) He owes every single dollar he got paid out of that contract to Kenneth Walker III

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I think I saw that they’re not due to release the findings of take the next step in the Title IX investigation until October.

I don’t think this is going to take that long, now that the story is out.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    MSU presser in 95 minutes with their interim president and the athletic director to make a statement about the football program. I would imagine they're suspending him until the Title IX process finishes during their bye week (unclear if they can fire him for this until that process finishes because of how Betsy DeVos rewrote Title IX regulations). But the moral degeneracy of MSU has surprised me before (thus the thread).

EDIT: MSU insider types and a few reporters saying he's been fired. And Mark Dantonio will now be involved with the team in some capacity. Habitually ignored sexual assault by his players.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    As Hedgie mentioned, his contract isn't great, and he could be fired twice over for *his version* of events, let alone the allegations.

• Options
    More reliable reporters say suspended with pay until the hearing on October 5th has an outcome. We'll see in 50 minutes.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Nicole Auerbach et al correct. Suspended without pay pending the outcome of the 10/5 hearing. What changed to make this happen today when they had the initial report months ago? Absolute word salad.
    Interim measures were in place, and those interim measures have been updated. Initially there was no contact with the complainant, and then also increased oversight from me of the program but then also the coach. So, it's an ongoing process, and we update those interim measures as we receive information.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Nicole Auerbach et al correct. Suspended without pay pending the outcome of the 10/5 hearing. What changed to make this happen today when they had the initial report months ago? Absolute word salad.
    Interim measures were in place, and those interim measures have been updated. Initially there was no contact with the complainant, and then also increased oversight from me of the program but then also the coach. So, it's an ongoing process, and we update those interim measures as we receive information.

Do those words mean anything?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Not at all

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Means the most pro-MSU theory of the case (Title IX kept it under wraps pending the conclusion) is false, because there were already interim measures imposed by MSU's AD. But they weren't suspension worthy until the public knew and was outraged.

The accurate answer to the question is "we hoped you wouldn't find out and he would beat Michigan."

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    From ESPN's reporting on this yesterday:
    "As a matter of protocol, the university does not comment on potential investigations. Let me assure you that if any complaint came forward regarding a violation of the university's Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct policy, it would be thoroughly reviewed and followed up on by MSU's Office for Civil Rights," a spokeswoman for Michigan State said in a statement to ESPN on Saturday night.
    Not only are they saying they won't comment on basically anything ever (because anything could be a "potential" investigation) but they're straight up lying as it's not a potential investigation nor even an ongoing investigation - the matter has been investigated! MSU was simply dithering on doing anything about it!

Both disgusting and pathetic

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Why is it so hard to like, not assault people? Millions, nay billions, of people do it every day!

Interim measures were in place (to cover our asses), and those interim measures have been updated (because someone uncovered our asses). Initially there was no contact with the complainant (that you can currently prove), and then also increased oversight from me of the program but then also the coach. So, it's an ongoing process (of desperation ass covering), and we update those interim measures (the ass covering, as mentioned earlier) as we receive information (of uncovered asses).

maraji on
  • Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Why is it so hard to like, not assault people? Millions, nay billions, of people do it every day!

Interim measures were in place (to cover our asses), and those interim measures have been updated (because someone uncovered our asses). Initially there was no contact with the complainant (that you can currently prove), and then also increased oversight from me of the program but then also the coach. So, it's an ongoing process (of desperation ass covering), and we update those interim measures (the ass covering, as mentioned earlier) as we receive information (of uncovered asses).

In summary, it's all ass.

• Options
    The current story is that MSU kept this investigation into their second most prominent employee from 4 of the 8 members of their Board of Trustees and that's what prompted the change in outcome. Which is amazingly dysfunctional.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The current story is that MSU kept this investigation into their second most prominent employee from 4 of the 8 members of their Board of Trustees and that's what prompted the change in outcome. Which is amazingly dysfunctional.

I'm not sure they're using that word correctly.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

Hardcore misogynist is how I read that statement.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Playing the race card to try to protect himself is especially disgusting.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Hardcore misogynist is how I read that statement.

Yeah. I'm not sure what else to think about someone who puts Title IX stuff in quotes throughout their statement.

Also, a lawyer let this get out? What the hell? How did a lawyer let this get through?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    His lawyer approved that statement? I didn't think any of Alex Jones' lawyers were licensed to practice in Michigan.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Well, 'I strongly discourage you NOT to make this statement, but I can't actually stop you if you insist...'

• Options
    It's definitely a play to the Dave Portnoy set.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, he is looking for a stint on barstool or whatever the fuck.

• Options
    And in followup, Michigan State has informed Tucker that they intend to fire him for cause.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    And in followup, Michigan State has informed Tucker that they intend to fire him for cause.

Awesome, but too damn late.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    And Tucker has been officially fired for cause. This is an actual line from the MSU response:
    It is immaterial if, as you allege, these actions were purportedly consensual and somehow occurred outside of your workplace. As the University previously stated, “(i)t is decidedly unprofessional and unethical to flirt, make sexual comments, and masturbate while on the phone with a University vendor.” (Notice at 2.) Your unconvincing rationalizations and misguided attempts to shift responsibility cannot and do not excuse your own behavior. Had you not engaged in this inappropriate and unprofessional conduct, the University would not be subject to public disrespect and ridicule regarding your actions.

Well, fuck.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Tucker is going all in on the "lying gold digger" "defense":
    The letter sent out Thursday is the latest in a tense back-and-forth between Tucker's side and the school, with this letter being sent by attorney Jennifer Z. Belveal. It attempts to catch Tracy in conflicting statements, using dozens of messages between her and her assistant, who is now deceased. It does not say specifically how the messages were obtained.

The letter, in part, alleges that Tracy's motivations for filing the complaint are financial. One of Tucker's lawyers shared what Tucker's team says are partially redacted parts of conversations Tracy had with her former assistant where they discuss her finances and the notion that she would be open to settling her claims with Tucker.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    And today must be Bad Coaches Go To Court Day, as Pat Fitzgerald is suing Northwestern for $130M:
    Former Northwestern University football coach Pat Fitzgerald is suing the school for $130 million, saying his alma mater wrongfully fired him in the wake of a hazing and abuse scandal that has engulfed the athletic department.

The announcement by Chicago-based attorney Dan K. Webb on Thursday comes nearly three months after Fitzgerald was suspended and then fired after 17 years as head coach of the Wildcats.

Webb said that Fitzgerald would also be seeking additional money for “infliction of emotional distress,” future lost income and punitive damages. The $130 million includes $68 million remaining in owed salary plus $62 million in future lost income, Webb added. The suit was filed in Cook County Circuit Court against the university and its President Michael Schill, he said.

Both of these coaches can kindly go fuck all the way off.

Edit: And then there's this:
    The lawsuit also says Northwestern violated an oral contract agreed to on July 6 that Fitzgerald would not face further penalties if he accepted the suspension and issued a statement supporting the program.

I believe that there's a saying about oral contracts being worth the paper they're written on.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The letter sent out Thursday is the latest in a tense back-and-forth between Tucker's side and the school, with this letter being sent by attorney Jennifer Z. Belveal. It attempts to catch Tracy in conflicting statements, using dozens of messages between her and her assistant, who is now deceased. It does not say specifically how the messages were obtained.

The letter, in part, alleges that Tracy's motivations for filing the complaint are financial. One of Tucker's lawyers shared what Tucker's team says are partially redacted parts of conversations Tracy had with her former assistant where they discuss her finances and the notion that she would be open to settling her claims with Tucker.
    Either Tucker's lawyer is really scummy/unethical (though unfortunately probably not enough to get disbarred), or Michigan state courts have a really unusual interpretation of the rules of evidence. Federal rule 408 (and the Michigan equivalent) prohibit statements made regarding settlement from being used at trial as evidence of whether a disputed claim is valid. This is not an esoteric rule, every litigator has been made aware of it at some point, so she can't plead ignorance.

There are limits to the rule, such as if the statements unambiguously indicate that the person was trying to extract a nuisance settlement or extort the defendant with a false claim, but I didn't see any texts quoted in that article that suggest anything nefarious. I've seen similar statements from my own clients when they are not well off and can't afford to take the risk that their claim will fail for technical reasons (or because juries always pose a risk) - taking the sure bet of a settlement can be the better strategy for many clients, even if it gets them less compensation than a victory at trial would. And her statement that only financial consequences will send him a message is also nothing out of the ordinary - for many wrongdoers, it's the truth.

So basically, his lawyer is out there trying to smear Tracy in the press (the article confirms she even sent the letter directly to the press) using statements that almost certainly would not be admissible in court. Belveal is as shitty a person as Tucker. I wish this could be prosecuted as attempted jury tampering (if Tucker ultimately sues the university), but I highly doubt it can.

And, regarding Fitzgerald, unless his written contract had language extremely favorable for him in the provisions about termination, I doubt his breach of contract claim will go anywhere. And intentional infliction of emotional distress is hard as hell to prove, so he would need some smoking gun emails or something similar to win that. Of course, college football coaches probably have crazy amounts of negotiation leverage compared to other university employees (even Presidents and Deans), it's possible they get sweetheart terms that no other contract gets. I've never actually seen a coach's contract, so I don't know what's normal in the industry.

HyperSplatt on
  • Options

Either Tucker's lawyer is really scummy/unethical (though unfortunately probably not enough to get disbarred), or Michigan state courts have a really unusual interpretation of the rules of evidence. Federal rule 408 (and the Michigan equivalent) prohibit statements made regarding settlement from being used at trial as evidence of whether a disputed claim is valid. This is not an esoteric rule, every litigator has been made aware of it at some point, so she can't plead ignorance.

There are limits to the rule, such as if the statements unambiguously indicate that the person was trying to extract a nuisance settlement or extort the defendant with a false claim, but I didn't see any texts quoted in that article that suggest anything nefarious. I've seen similar statements from my own clients when they are not well off and can't afford to take the risk that their claim will fail for technical reasons (or because juries always pose a risk) - taking the sure bet of a settlement can be the better strategy for many clients, even if it gets them less compensation than a victory at trial would. And her statement that only financial consequences will send him a message is also nothing out of the ordinary - for many wrongdoers, it's the truth.

So basically, his lawyer is out there trying to smear Tracy in the press (the article confirms she even sent the letter directly to the press) using statements that almost certainly would not be admissible in court. Belveal is as shitty a person as Tucker. I wish this could be prosecuted as attempted jury tampering (if Tucker ultimately sues the university), but I highly doubt it can.

And, regarding Fitzgerald, unless his written contract had language extremely favorable for him in the provisions about termination, I doubt his breach of contract claim will go anywhere. And intentional infliction of emotional distress is hard as hell to prove, so he would need some smoking gun emails or something similar to win that. Of course, college football coaches probably have crazy amounts of negotiation leverage compared to other university employees (even Presidents and Deans), it's possible they get sweetheart terms that no other contract gets. I've never actually seen a coach's contract, so I don't know what's normal in the industry.

I imagine the goal for both is to get the school to decide the buyout is easier than a trial. For Tucker, he's fucked for three reasons:

* First, as has been pointed out, Sparty has cause for termination even with Tucker's scenario - they have him dead to rights.
    * Second, Tucker's turkey of a contract gives Sparty reason to fight this financially.
    * Third, this whole thread exists because of Sparty's fuckups with sexual harassment and abuse. Beyond the financial reason, they have a reputational reason to fight this.

Fitzgerald has a "stronger" case in that he probably can make the school bend, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the "unified front" the players are putting on is going to be tested once they're facing sworn depositions instead of interviews with friendly counsel.