As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I went into the aurora and found the keycodes for two of the doors but not the last one. Is that something I should have found or something i'll find later?

I just did this and I entered the Aurora through the
    debris blocked entrance at the front of the ship that was followed by a fire filled doorway. I didn't find the keycode for Cabin 1 until I progressed past the Prawn Bay and into the next main area. So I had to go back and open it up.

I got
    Cabin 1 and the Captain's Cabin, but there's one more closer to the beginning. I didn't know there were multiple entrances! Only ever have done the one towards the broken section that requires moving debris and putting out the fire.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I went into the aurora and found the keycodes for two of the doors but not the last one. Is that something I should have found or something i'll find later?

I just did this and I entered the Aurora through the
    debris blocked entrance at the front of the ship that was followed by a fire filled doorway. I didn't find the keycode for Cabin 1 until I progressed past the Prawn Bay and into the next main area. So I had to go back and open it up.

I got
    Cabin 1 and the Captain's Cabin, but there's one more closer to the beginning. I didn't know there were multiple entrances! Only ever have done the one towards the broken section that requires moving debris and putting out the fire.

Thats the same entrance I used. I was just trying to be clear in case there were multiple ways in. That was my first time in the Aurora!

If you don't have the code to the other door, then I think you may have missed it sometime between the entrance and where you are now. Or its potentially in one of the other cabins?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I stumbled across a time capsule with a pair of Prawn grappling arms in it. I suppose that will save me some time later.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I stumbled onlto a time capsule myself. It had a survival knife and I think two acid mushrooms. So, you know, thank you random stranger.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

So there is a 'lower' door to the Aurora that is blocked with debris, and an 'upper' door that has some fire in the way. If you take the upper door, and take the first right, there's a small lab you can laser cut into containing a code on a PDA. That code unlocks the passages between the reactor entrance and the PRAWN bay, IIRC.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well that was a hell of a time capsule. Seamoth/PRAWN engine efficiency module, Seamoth solar charger, Seamoth Depth Upgrade Mk3, Seamoth Perimeter Defense System, and 2 power cells.

Yeah, I'm playing again.

So I was mistaken. That wasn't 2 power cells. That was 2 ion power cells.

• Options
    I think the Time Capsules might only be in the full release version which is maybe why I'm not seeing them on Xbox?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I too am in the Aurora! And am as usual thinking I really should have come here a while ago. The threshold 'guardians' put me off but it's fine inside.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I too am in the Aurora! And am as usual thinking I really should have come here a while ago. The threshold 'guardians' put me off but it's fine inside.

This is exactly what happened with me. I explored the engine side of the wreck pretty soon after getting my SeaMoth and had a traumatic experience.

After going through it, I realized I should have done it much earlier.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So how's everyone's base looking?
    puKI0LU.jpg
    CqnQV1x.jpg
    VvL5iXc.jpg
    Finally got around to getting more quartz for the second alien containment, I'm putting the big eggs in one and the little eggs in the other.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Have they fixed the issue with the PRAWN suit inventory not being accessible when you dock with the Cyclops?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Have they fixed the issue with the PRAWN suit inventory not being accessible when you dock with the Cyclops?

Yes. There is now a control panel above the dock which allows you to access the vehicle inventory and any installed upgrades.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to access the upgrades or the storage compartment in the prawn suit when in the moon pool?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Is there a way to access the upgrades or the storage compartment in the prawn suit when in the moon pool?

The upgrade panel should be open and I would think you could just reach the storage.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, all three of my vehicles are set for 900m depth, and after setting up a tiny base at about 300m depth in the area under the floating island (I think people call it Grand Reef?) I managed to snatch a cyclops shield upgrade blueprint, which is already installed. I officially need to start going deeper if I'm going to find anything related to this cure.

The question is choosing where to push for depth. I have no idea what would be a good choice. The reef in question seems to go down pretty hard, so that's an option, I guess? I should probably also load up the cyclops with ridiculous amounts of supplies in order to build a small base if I find a proper place to do so in the deep. You never realize how much titanium it takes to build anything until you realize your two full lockers of Titanium weren't enough for a tiny three-room base with a bioreactor.

The upgrade panel should be open and I would think you could just reach the storage.

It is open visually, it just doesn't actually let you click it. I've found the same issue.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What's weird for me is that in real life I have a problem with deep water, but in video games I love under water exploration.

Oddly enough I'm the opposite, but I think that's probably because I know the most dangerous thing I'm likely to face whilst scuba diving is a great white, and they're basically fluffy kittens compared to some of the wildlife in Subnautica.

I think the deepest I've gone so far was about 300M before noping out but at some point I'm going to have to put on my big boy pants and go deeper.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Drascin wrote: »

It is open visually, it just doesn't actually let you click it. I've found the same issue.

Exactly - it's open, the same way the seamoth is, but I can't access the upgrades, having to take the suit out of the moon pool first.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    It occurs to me in all my playthroughs... I don't think I have ever been to the northern Blood Kelp zone. How odd.

• Options

Exactly - it's open, the same way the seamoth is, but I can't access the upgrades, having to take the suit out of the moon pool first.

That's strange. Sorry, haven't heard of that. I don't think I ever docked my PRAWN in my moonpool, solely using it in the Cyclops. Thankfully you can access them from outside.
    Well, all three of my vehicles are set for 900m depth, and after setting up a tiny base at about 300m depth in the area under the floating island (I think people call it Grand Reef?) I managed to snatch a cyclops shield upgrade blueprint, which is already installed. I officially need to start going deeper if I'm going to find anything related to this cure.

The question is choosing where to push for depth. I have no idea what would be a good choice. The reef in question seems to go down pretty hard, so that's an option, I guess? I should probably also load up the cyclops with ridiculous amounts of supplies in order to build a small base if I find a proper place to do so in the deep. You never realize how much titanium it takes to build anything until you realize your two full lockers of Titanium weren't enough for a tiny three-room base with a bioreactor.

You're going to want to find the Lost River for the rest of the story locations. It's also where you can find nickel. There are four entrances to it scattered about. I think it's about 700m down.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That's strange. Sorry, haven't heard of that. I don't think I ever docked my PRAWN in my moonpool, solely using it in the Cyclops. Thankfully you can access them from outside.

You're going to want to find the Lost River for the rest of the story locations. It's also where you can find nickel. There are four entrances to it scattered about. I think it's about 700m down.

I accidentally stumbled into the Lost River zone. It definitely bottoms out at around 950-1000 meters down (parked my Cyclops at 880 was still pretty far away from the bottom of the River).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited January 2018

As a note, if I've found the
    Degasi base

in the Jellyshroom caves, is there anything else there that I absolutely need to find? The place is kind of a pest to explore.

I get the feeling I was probably supposed to have found something more already, but I got nothing. With no map it's kind of hard to keep track of where you've explored and where you have not.

Drascin on
  • Options

Degasi base

in the Jellyshroom caves, is there anything else there that I absolutely need to find? The place is kind of a pest to explore.

I get the feeling I was probably supposed to have found something more already, but I got nothing. With no map it's kind of hard to keep track of where you've explored and where you have not.

No, I think it's just the 2 bases and random supply platforms. There's also magnetite down there.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    A neat thing I found out is if you sit in a chair, you apparently don't lose thirst or hunger, so if you're reading through your PDA or trying to figure something out, not a bad idea to sit down first.

Edit: I guess you can also use it to wait for food to grow or water to filtrate if you're in bad shape.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Degasi base

Actively needing, not so much, assuming you've scanned all the bits of the thing you found. IIRC it's a spawn location for Magnetite, which is needed for assorted handy things.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Coming up on the end of the game and, as much as I've enjoyed this, the guidance gets way too vague for the size of the environments. I eventually got stuck and had to just look up how to progress, for no other reason than it's really really easy to overlook places hidden inside these enormous spaces. And if you need the player to activate the one little spot on a large device in a huge room, just mark the dang thing as an objective, especially when getting one device activated actually means activating another small, but unrelated, device in order to make events happen which make the first device finally accessible.

I like the exploration, but it starts wearing thin when you think you've found a place you're supposed to go and been back something like three times across the course of several hours but could never see a door because it's semi-hidden with no indicator and you almost have to be outside the sub to crawl around the surface to find the place.

And do not forget to bring plenty of beacons when exploring the later areas. It's one thing to spend ages trying to find a place but finding them out of order, but if you aren't throwing a beacon on everything important-looking, trying to find them again later when you can actually do something with those places would be a huge pain in the ass. It's a hell of lot easier to turn off unwanted beacons in places that turn out to be unimportant than it is to re-find a bunch of the locations.

• Options
    On the home stretch, did the thing, building the thing, need to go scouring for more cubes because I may have used all the ones I had already.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    On the home stretch, did the thing, building the thing, need to go scouring for more cubes because I may have used all the ones I had already.

Bit of a spoiler that may save you a ton of effort (if you just don't feel like scouring the map for cubes at this point)
    there's a regenerating stack of ion cubes in the final unlocked facility, which will handily supply you with all the cubes you could want as long as you have the exosuit with a drill arm along with you.

• Options

Bit of a spoiler that may save you a ton of effort (if you just don't feel like scouring the map for cubes at this point)
    there's a regenerating stack of ion cubes in the final unlocked facility, which will handily supply you with all the cubes you could want as long as you have the exosuit with a drill arm along with you.
    Am indeed aware of that stack, it's just then I have to haul my ass all the way back through the lava zone to it. Unless you can hop back out of the aquarium moonpool.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Am indeed aware of that stack, it's just then I have to haul my ass all the way back through the lava zone to it. Unless you can hop back out of the aquarium moonpool.

There's also
    another portal inside that final alien base, before the pool, on the right side of the hub area, that leads to an exit in the far southeast of the map.

You might be boned on that if you haven't already activated it though.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

Yes, you can climb back out of that pool, though I think you need to have the enhanced jets on the exosuit if you want that to be able to climb out with that. Leaving the pool itself is fairly forgiving (you get some kind of boost on the way up, so you can clear the edge), but just getting back up to the platform underneath the opening takes all the juice the enhanced jets have.

I went right back up that way after getting things moving down below, so I can definitely confirm you can go back up through the moonpool.

• Options
    I appreciate you guys putting stuff in spoilers and I look forward to one day being able to read them.

At this point I'm not sure I'll ever want to beat the game. Too much fun building bases and exploring.

• Options
    Also, with my having gone through the story stuff, I am officially going to call a no-vehicle run as technically possible (assuming the game lets you build in the lava places), but god help you if you try it because you are going to go insane trying to build the network of powered bases to pop into for air. Also the deepest portions have some temperature issues, but I think the damage from that is light enough you can manage as long as you don't linger.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Raiden333 wrote: »

There's also
    another portal inside that final alien base, before the pool, on the right side of the hub area, that leads to an exit in the far southeast of the map.

You might be boned on that if you haven't already activated it though.

This
    You just need to get a PRAWN to one of the four portals, or to the one below the gun that the babies swam through. (there's a portal in the back of that area that takes you back up out of the water where you can go harvest more cubes)

-edit-

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, there is a way to get the PRAWN out of there.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening.

Just wait, later on they become dicks. They like to teleport you out of your vehicle. It's really annoying while you're trying to mine.

Doesn't the teleport also drop your health to something like 10% or something? I remember seeing that in a Neebs Gaming video (love their Subnautica series).

Not in my experience. I have been teleported out but it seems to do like 10 damage. I do have the better-armored suit, I dunno if that helps.

Yeah, I don't remember it doing much damage, but sometimes they will start attacking you right after, or the bunch of crap they teleport in will.

It may have been something that got changed in a patch then. Like I said, in the Neebs Gaming series, Appsro gets teleported and goes from full health to 10 during the teleport.

Yeah, nope. Been teleported around and my health always drops to 15-20%

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    No, I think it's just the 2 bases and random supply platforms. There's also magnetite down there.

I only really remember one base as such. But yeah, I still go there for magnetite, it's just that doing a methodical exploration is a bother especially because finding the way out again is not trivial.

Either way, I'm going to ask some stuff under the spoiler:
    So, as I said, I feel I need to start going deeper, but I dunno if I missed anything on the less deep areas.

Of the alien things I've only really seen the big base in the mountain. In there I learned that apparently this whole place is a quarantine zone, and nobody's leaving until I can cure myself and deactivate the mega-gun. Is there any other place I shold have found?

Also, on the "you need to get to Lost River, there are four entrances scattered about" thing, can I get some clues of at least in which biomes those entrances are? Because this map is kind of fucking huge and I'm not the most observant person (I went over the entrance to the jellyshroom caves a good fifteen times before I ever saw it, and it's right between my first base and my second base) so at least knowing what area I need to search would be real helpful.

Also, is there anything I absolutely need to bring when I try to go down?

Drascin on
  • Options
    @Drascin
    Just keep heading down in the floating balls biome where the last Degasi base was. I don't think you're missing anything higher than the river. Bring a some of the green cubes and purple slates you found in the gun installation.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I currently can only get the seamoth to 300m.

I need magnetite for the depth module. Where's a good place to find it?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Jelly shroom caves. Where the first underwater Degasi base is.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Drascin
    Just keep heading down in the floating balls biome where the last Degasi base was. I don't think you're missing anything higher than the river. Bring a some of the green cubes and purple slates you found in the gun installation.

Alright, then.
    I Think I had maybe two purple tablets left around? And two ion cubes? Would that be enough or do I need to start scouring the island for more?

In other news, I've been exploring the area with the balloon bulbs where I built the tiny scanner base.
    Interesting discovery: apparently the white ghost serpent things are a hell of a lot more perceptive than their normal counterparts. I'm happy I parked the Cyclops and went exploring in my Seamoth, because I hadn't seen the bastard or even known there were these guys around here until it was bearing down on me while I was swimming out of my sub with no lights on. Thank you Quake for teaching me strafing skills.

They also seem to be a lot more dangerous to the Seamoth, because they ram, don't grab.
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Not much of a spoiler, but just in case:
    The Jellyshroom forest is a great place for magnetite. It's a subterranean thing, though, so finding it might take a bit. Look for crevasses in the red grass plateaus. If you're looking down and paying attention you can't miss them, there's big pink glowing mushrooms glowing at the bottom.

Drascin on
  • Options
    2 of each sounds about right. I’m exploring there currently myself so not 100% sure!

MhCw7nZ.gif