As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening.

Just wait, later on they become dicks. They like to teleport you out of your vehicle. It's really annoying while you're trying to mine.

Doesn't the teleport also drop your health to something like 10% or something? I remember seeing that in a Neebs Gaming video (love their Subnautica series).

Not in my experience. I have been teleported out but it seems to do like 10 damage. I do have the better-armored suit, I dunno if that helps.

Yeah, I don't remember it doing much damage, but sometimes they will start attacking you right after, or the bunch of crap they teleport in will.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    It helps that now I understand how the Warper things work, and it turns out they're extremely nonthreatening.

Just wait, later on they become dicks. They like to teleport you out of your vehicle. It's really annoying while you're trying to mine.

Doesn't the teleport also drop your health to something like 10% or something? I remember seeing that in a Neebs Gaming video (love their Subnautica series).

Not in my experience. I have been teleported out but it seems to do like 10 damage. I do have the better-armored suit, I dunno if that helps.

Yeah, I don't remember it doing much damage, but sometimes they will start attacking you right after, or the bunch of crap they teleport in will.

They do try to attack you, but honestly they're kind of really easy to kite. I Repulsion-blast them largely so they leave me alone.

When they teleport in electro-eels it's a pain, though, because those things wander really slow and will just block the place where you were mining for a goddamn age.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've always wanted a Divers Certificate and has tried amateur level scuba diving a few times before.

... This game is magnifying that desire something fierce.

I got a Seamoth made and started finding Lithium, Magnetite and Diamonds.

Plot question.
    Am I supposed to do prevent the Aurora from exploding or something? If my memory serves me well, I only get the blueprint for the Rad Suit after it blows up and its radioactive to go near it even before it blows up?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Seamoth is great for surface stuff, and even some of the Lost River if you are brave... but I wouldn't take it down there at this point. The Ghosts would probably go right for them.

Also of course, they are limited to 900m and above. That's why you bring the PRAWN down there.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    FYI, if you want a good time, use the grapple arm to hook an enemy and just hold the button down while you punch away with your other arm.

It's half rodeo, half novelty boxing match.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hrum, I am torn between waiting for VR to get some work before playing again and wanting to play.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It may have been something that got changed in a patch then. Like I said, in the Neebs Gaming series, Appsro gets teleported and goes from full health to 10 during the teleport.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I've always wanted a Divers Certificate and has tried amateur level scuba diving a few times before.

Plot question.
    Am I supposed to do prevent the Aurora from exploding or something? If my memory serves me well, I only get the blueprint for the Rad Suit after it blows up and its radioactive to go near it even before it blows up?
    It's probably just intended to give you a taste of how radiation works without you actually being threatened by it.

edit: Related to that, one thing that annoyed me a bit is that it doesn't make clear in the beginning whether or not you're supposed to immediately head for the Aurora. The game doesn't give much indication that there are rocks around that you can harvest with your bare hands, and the lack of critical tools made me think that I needed to go somewhere else to get them.

jothki on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Plot question.
    There is nothing you can do to stop the Aurora from blowing up. In fact, its explosion is a necessary thing to
    get inside of it.

---
    jothki wrote: »
    The game doesn't give much indication that there are rocks around that you can harvest with your bare hands

I thought the game plonked down a great big arrow at the first loose rock you see and said, "Break this for goodies"?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Plot question.
    There is nothing you can do to stop the Aurora from blowing up. In fact, its explosion is a necessary thing to
    get inside of it.

---
    jothki wrote: »
    The game doesn't give much indication that there are rocks around that you can harvest with your bare hands

I thought the game plonked down a great big arrow at the first loose rock you see and said, "Break this for goodies"?

I did not see that. I could have very easily missed it, since I wasn't really focusing on the seafloor at first. I could have used the PDA suggesting that I look for loose deposits to break, or something.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The PRAWN seems like it'd be hard to get around in a lot of places, from taking it for a spin on the kelp forest. This place is fairly flat, but there are rather a lot of cliffs in this ocean and fucked if I know how I'd manage to get back up from a lot of places.

Drascin on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The PRAWN seems like it'd be hard to get around in a lot of places, from taking it for a spin on the kelp forest. This place is fairly flat, but there are rather a lot of cliffs in this ocean and fucked if I know how I'd manage to get back up from a lot of places.

This is why I feel like the Prawn needs the grappling arm mod.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ugh. Getting to the point where anything that wants copper or silver causes me to groan out loud as I'm fed up with snorkling around the shallows bashing rocks. I'm guessing the PRAWN and large metal deposits are meant to be my salvation but for whatever reason I'm still PRAWNless.
    Okay, a quick wiki dive tells me the Aurora should hook up my PRAWN needs so I guess I'm finally heading back there.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ugh. Getting to the point where anything that wants copper or silver causes me to groan out loud as I'm fed up with snorkling around the shallows bashing rocks. I'm guessing the PRAWN and large metal deposits are meant to be my salvation but for whatever reason I'm still PRAWNless.
    Okay, a quick wiki dive tells me the Aurora should hook up my PRAWN needs so I guess I'm finally heading back there.

I'm practically running out of limestone chunks near my base, with how much copper I keep needing for everything. Everything needs chips and wiring kits.

And the thing is that you need the drill arm for large deposits, and I don't have that blueprint either, so, bleh.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure this has been mentioned at least once by now, check out the barnacles on Reefbacks.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Pretty sure this has been mentioned at least once by now, check out the barnacles on Reefbacks.

My experience with Reefbacks is that generally speaking they are rich in coral that shoots you in the face and poor on barnacles.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

My experience with Reefbacks is that generally speaking they are rich in coral that shoots you in the face and poor on barnacles.

Man, fuck that coral. Right in the polyp.

Also, had my Seamoth ...
    Eaten for the first time last night! I went around to the other side of the Aurora, and saw Big McLargeHuge puttering about off in the distance, so I quietly snuck away.

I was messing with some ... quartz? ... when suddenly, GRAB! HOLY SHIT! CHOMP! 14% hull!

I tried to get away, but it just grabbed me again and my 'moth asplode.

Strangely, I actually had everything but the ... copper wire? ... in my inventory to recraft it when I made it back to my lifepod.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

This is why I feel like the Prawn needs the grappling arm mod.

The jumpjet upgrade is also great and makes the PRAWN much more maneuverable. Once I got it, I really only used the grapple to move quickly horizontally by grappling the ground ahead.

• Options

I'm practically running out of limestone chunks near my base, with how much copper I keep needing for everything. Everything needs chips and wiring kits.

And the thing is that you need the drill arm for large deposits, and I don't have that blueprint either, so, bleh.

Spoiler for drill location:
    You can find most of the arm fragments in the Underwater Islands biome. It's SW of the mountain and has a bunch of floating islands at various depths. One of them has a wreck on it.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Said the heck with it, started up a fresh run. Early stuff goes quick when you know where to go for things, though I haven't made the beeline for the multipurpose room yet. Probably ought to now that I've solved the radiation problem.
    :edit: should probably note that I am deliberately not using the seaglide or the seamoth.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    :edit: should probably note that I am deliberately not using the seaglide or the seamoth.

Just curious, but why?

• Options

Just curious, but why?

Why do people do buster-only runs of megaman games? Adds some extra challenge to things. You'd be surprised how deep you can safely go with just the high capacity tank and a rebreather, I sourced my laser cutter diamonds from down at the floating islands wreck.

• Options
    Found it! Thanks Mudd.

Now it will be a matter of bringing the Prawn to where big resource nodes are. Which, admittedly, is easier said than done in a way that also allows me to reboard the Cyclops with it. The base thrusters really have trouble bringing the guy up to the loading bay even when you grapnel on the underside of the sub.

• Options

Just curious, but why?

Why do people do buster-only runs of megaman games? Adds some extra challenge to things. You'd be surprised how deep you can safely go with just the high capacity tank and a rebreather, I sourced my laser cutter diamonds from down at the floating islands wreck.

I'm mainly thinking about travel time. To each his own. :P

Now I'm curious if the game is beatable without using vehicles.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Travel time is more a matter of patience. Plus think of the savings when you eventually do a cyclops base haul into the depths and don't have to make a second trip because you can only haul one vehicle at a time!

:edit: as for an entirely vehicle-free run, I am putting that at a probably, but you're gonna have to make powered bases/growbeds with brain coral at regular intervals for air resupply.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    I finished this yesterday, but am now really tempted to start a new game. I almost never do that.

• Options
    Found it! Thanks Mudd.

Now it will be a matter of bringing the Prawn to where big resource nodes are. Which, admittedly, is easier said than done in a way that also allows me to reboard the Cyclops with it. The base thrusters really have trouble bringing the guy up to the loading bay even when you grapnel on the underside of the sub.

Short answer, you need to park somewhere closer to the ocean floor.

Probably not, the heat in the lower biomes would be a problem. If that weren't an issue... maybe with a lot of batteries, food, the still-suit, and the charge fins? Unless you just built a new outpost every few hundred feet.

Wait, no. AFAIK Kyanite requires the drill, and you need some to built the rocket.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Probably not, the heat in the lower biomes would be a problem.

The reinforced dive suit ups your temperature resistance, though I guess I haven't gone through the story stuff to see if it's enough on its own or if there are vehicle segments.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Found it! Thanks Mudd.

Short answer, you need to park somewhere closer to the ocean floor.

Probably not, the heat in the lower biomes would be a problem. If that weren't an issue... maybe with a lot of batteries, food, the still-suit, and the charge fins? Unless you just built a new outpost every few hundred feet.

Wait, no. AFAIK Kyanite requires the drill, and you need some to built the rocket.

I found single grabbable kyanite ores on the walls around the final facility.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Just curious, but why?

I'm mainly thinking about travel time. To each his own. :P

This is actually the first challenge run I want to do. Gonna take a LOT of air piping though. Can you T-branch those? I haven't tried yet.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Okay, after getting familiar with the Cyclops it is really cool. I've set up a little garden inside it, an aquarium, a bed, a locker, a fabber...all the essentials basically. I'm still leery about taking it places because of energy concerns and a general fear of a leviathan tearing it to shreds, plus my Seamoth is so much smaller and more agile that I really prefer it for the shallower areas I've been slowly exploring further.

Still no Prawn suit blueprints. I'm trying to figure out how to enter the Aurora because I have a hunch I'll find the blueprints there. Either that or in the Undersea Ball Pit, and I really don't wanna dive that deep again until I absolutely have to...

• Options
    Okay, after getting familiar with the Cyclops it is really cool. I've set up a little garden inside it, an aquarium, a bed, a locker, a fabber...all the essentials basically. I'm still leery about taking it places because of energy concerns and a general fear of a leviathan tearing it to shreds, plus my Seamoth is so much smaller and more agile that I really prefer it for the shallower areas I've been slowly exploring further.

Still no Prawn suit blueprints. I'm trying to figure out how to enter the Aurora because I have a hunch I'll find the blueprints there. Either that or in the Undersea Ball Pit, and I really don't wanna dive that deep again until I absolutely have to...

Spoiler for the Aurora:
    You enter it from the front, it's reachable via Seaglide or Seamoth. Stick as close to the hull as possible as a bit north and below is Reaper turf.

Bring a Repair Tool and a Cutting torch.

• Options

Yeah, the Cyclops is definitely not indestructible. I had a Ghost Leviathan sneak up on me and within a few seconds I was getting critical hull warnings. I was able to get out of it and start nailing the bastard with my repulsor cannon long enough to repair it, but it was a close thing.

• Options
    Actually, thinking about it, best/most efficient way to do a no vehicle run is probably to build one continuously sprawling base.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about it, best/most efficient way to do a no vehicle run is probably to build one continuously sprawling base.

You'd need to farm lithium like crazy, but it would be interesting to see.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I would be very interested in seeing some sort of massive hamster tunnel base running around all the areas.

Will the angry fish attack your base? I've never made it to base building.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I would be very interested in seeing some sort of massive hamster tunnel base running around all the areas.

yes. yes they will.

edit: this is my understanding at least, and I know a long long time ago I had a base in the mushroom forest that was hit a few times by bonesharks (when bonesharks used to live in the mushroom forest).

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No, creatures don't damage bases as far as I can tell. Which means you are safe from Leviathans except for the actual construction.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Spoiler for the Aurora:
    You enter it from the front, it's reachable via Seaglide or Seamoth. Stick as close to the hull as possible as a bit north and below is Reaper turf.

Although you can acquire them on site, bringing an extra fire extinguisher would not hurt

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Spoiler for the Aurora:

Although you can acquire them on site, bringing an extra fire extinguisher would not hurt

Oh, and the propulsion cannon would be useful.