As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the game a ton during early access, but I'm holding off until the Vive Pro to start fresh with 1.0. I can't wait.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Mulletude wrote: »
    A battery charger will ease your battery concerns once you stumble across the schematics

That sounds like a godsend, but finding schematics is a pain. I'm sitting at 2/3 for a laser cutter, and can't find the third for the life of me.

Currently unsure of what to do. Not enough titanium to build advance outposts, and can't find blueprints for a vehicle yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to go too far from the pod. Not that I ever managed to build a funcional outpost last time, though.

Actually, question, what happens in this game when you die? Cause I've been playing super cautious and not died, but at some point I'm probably going to have to take risks.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    A battery charger will ease your battery concerns once you stumble across the schematics

That sounds like a godsend, but finding schematics is a pain. I'm sitting at 2/3 for a laser cutter, and can't find the third for the life of me.

Currently unsure of what to do. Not enough titanium to build advance outposts, and can't find blueprints for a vehicle yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to go too far from the pod. Not that I ever managed to build a funcional outpost last time, though.

Actually, question, what happens in this game when you die? Cause I've been playing super cautious and not died, but at some point I'm probably going to have to take risks.

from what I recall, death entails respawning at the last safe place you'd been (pod 5 or a player base) without approximately everything you'd picked up since leaving.
    As for finding schematics, outside of wreck chunks having specific goodies, schematics are generally localized by biome. IIRC battery chargers are in one of the red grass wrecks, though I don't recall in which direction from the starting pod.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    Subnautica is just so lovely. The new voice logs and such are just the icing on a very pretty and tasty cake. I love the exploration aspect. I love creature movements. I love the unreal soundscape it evokes. It can certainly be terrifying, and you will panic at certain points. But it's just wonderful overall.

It's stepping lightly around a lot of survival and engineering aspects and decompression sickness and similar, but the game is clearly better for it! It has good mechanics, a solid set of goals, and enough freedom of exploration to feel you "discover the way" by yourself.
    visj12whl9hn.png

This recommendation is brought you by a guy who took full diving education to combat a phobia of deep water.

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

What previous poster said, but also: it depends on what setting you started on. Hardcore is premadeath. Hardcore is actually a bit hard, as there is always the chance something you did not foresee happens. Like being nibbled to death by mushroom snake, 2 m from your seamoth. *cough*

BP's:
    The general rule is BP's are tied to the specific biomes. Vehicles need a mobile construciton station. For that you need to go to the kelp zones and look for scattered smaller cargo containers. For the vehicle construction station, go to the red grass zones, and dive for the bigger wreck-pieces. There's usually 1-3 vehicle components outside each. Swim around with scanner equipped.
    In general, look for wrecks and the small cargo containers, and go visit the signals you get. Just bring a few beacons, marking the wrecks you need to return to. Seriously, always bring 2 beacons! Edited for clarity

Korhedron on
    These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    A lot of things in this game have terrified me in the short time I've played it, but the one thing that's completely petrified me in fear is the giant, super-fast moon that shouldn't be that close to the planet without breaking apart.

I have some kind of strange internal fear of alien moons. I once saw a high-res image of Mars' surface with one of its misshapen moons in the sky and about flipped my shit in terror.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mid to Late game tech question
    I have discovered torpedo launcher blueprints...I assume that having to manufacturing torpedoes will limit my potential for a cathartic revenge run on the assholes of this alien sea?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Sadly, none of the torpedoes are even lethal. They're all just deterrents.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Wasn't the lead dev supposed to be making a statement about guns by not having them or any other lethal weapon but the knife in the game? I thought that was kind of strange in a survival game where giant terrors of the deep lurk around every corner.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't know about any anti-gun statement.

But it'd be kinda weird, considering Unknown Worlds' other major game was a competitive shooter.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Early on in the game still but there are still times where I am sitting there staring at the screen and I hear "30 seconds!" and then shake myself awake heh.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Wasn't the lead dev supposed to be making a statement about guns by not having them or any other lethal weapon but the knife in the game? I thought that was kind of strange in a survival game where giant terrors of the deep lurk around every corner.

I got at least one audio log talking about how there are no longer weapons in escape pods because of some massacre. I believe there are in-universe explanations for why weapons are hard to come by. The knife you can make is supposedly frowned upon.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Nuts...I guess the Drill Arm is non-lethal too eh?

Edit:
    I'm still enjoying the game despite learning that I won't be MacGuyvering the laser cutter into a laser cannon or transforming the green cubes into depth charges.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Hey I just wanted to pop in and say that I was at the launch event and met some of the Subnautica team, and they're all super nice. Just a bunch of really genuine people that seem to really love what they do. I'm excited for them.

The game is also on my wishlist now because it looks fantastic and I want to support the team.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I don't think it's a political pacifism thing, it's just not a game about fighting, that's one of the first decisions they made. They didn't want it to turn into a game where you're just gunning down fish left and right.

Zek on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Mid to Late game tech question
    I have discovered torpedo launcher blueprints...I assume that having to manufacturing torpedoes will limit my potential for a cathartic revenge run on the assholes of this alien sea?

End game-ish spoilers about specific alien fish monsters:
    The torpedoes are all non-lethal, but you are able to kill some/most but not all of the alien fish monster assholes using a stasis rifle/knife combo and a lot of spare time.

You can very much take out most of the early to mid game antagonists up to Crabsquids.

I think it's impossible to kill Warpers but after a certain end-game-ish event I won't spoil they go back to leaving you alone.

I don't think it's possible to kill any of the Leviathans, but you can freeze them with the stasis rifle and stab them repeatedly for some sense of catharsis.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Political content/background spoilers:
    Political content/background and mild post-game credits spoilers:
    During the end game credits, there is a dedication to the families of Newtown, CT as well.

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

During the end game credits, there is a dedication to the families of Newtown, CT as well.

That was what I was thinking of, thanks for the source!
    As said previously, I love the game as it is anyway, I just thought it a strange hill to plant a flag on.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Nuts...I guess the Drill Arm is non-lethal too eh?

You can absolutely kill stuff with the PRAWN. Either with the drill or just punching them.

Think of it as a very large, very blunt survival knife.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

That was what I was thinking of, thanks for the source!
    As said previously, I love the game as it is anyway, I just thought it a strange hill to plant a flag on.

Man, good job proving why we need guns I guess. A world where we are not the top of the food chain is a world where everyone but one person gets eaten by horrible sea monsters.

Not being able to clear out an area to loot it in peace is honestly one of my biggest issues with the game.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Currently unsure of what to do. Not enough titanium to build advance outposts, and can't find blueprints for a vehicle yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to go too far from the pod.

Titanium shouldn't be an issue overall. There's enough fragments of hull in the shallows to provide tons of titanium. (once the replicator converts them to ore)

As for exploring, the Shallows wrecks/crates have fragments of the Seaglide, that will open up some more areas to you. The Shallows themselves are quite safe, aside from crash fish which can be avoided. The Kelp Forests and Red Grass Plains are also fairly safe, especially with the speed a seaglide brings. The wrecks you find in those areas will then unlock stuff to get you even farther, etc...

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Currently unsure of what to do. Not enough titanium to build advance outposts, and can't find blueprints for a vehicle yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to go too far from the pod.

Titanium shouldn't be an issue overall. There's enough fragments of hull in the shallows to provide tons of titanium. (once the replicator converts them to ore)

As for exploring, the Shallows wrecks/crates have fragments of the Seaglide, that will open up some more areas to you. The Shallows themselves are quite safe, aside from crash fish which can be avoided. The Kelp Forests and Red Grass Plains are also fairly safe, especially with the speed a seaglide brings. The wrecks you find in those areas will then unlock stuff to get you even farther, etc...

I really couldn't find any real wreckage in the shallows. The kelp forest south nearby (I'm taking the Aurora as "North") on the other hand did provide me with some. I have now a good twentysomething titanium, and blueprints for a laser cutter that I can't make because where the heck do I get a diamond.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I really couldn't find any real wreckage in the shallows. The kelp forest south nearby (I'm taking the Aurora as "North") on the other hand did provide me with some. I have now a good twentysomething titanium, and blueprints for a laser cutter that I can't make because where the heck do I get a diamond.

Early game? Shale deposits. There's a decent source not far from the life-pod (assuming you have a high capacity tank and the seaglide) in a trench that's between the mushroom forest and the red grass plains. Alternatively, there's another place that the game directs you to that is where I would get diamonds (and lithium) back when the game was still early access...so I'm not 100% positive that you can still get them there.

Seriously, if you don't monitor the radio transmissions (and are sensitive to spoilers), don't click the spoiler
    It's the island where you're supposed to meet the Sunbeam. If you dive down to the base of the island, there were shale deposits that you could break open along the base and around the ascent to the island

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Huh. I think I haven't seen the mushroom forest yet (I don't really know biome names). I'll check around, I guess.

And I haven't sat down to start checking radio messages yet this playthrough. I looked at a couple last time I played during EA, I guess I could make a couple reserve batteries for the seaglide and see if I can follow a few and see if that lands me anything.

Drascin on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Drascin I've been listening to radio messages here and there and they've gently steered me towards wreckage and a couple blueprints/things to scan. I didn't bother with them during EA but they seem to be leading me towards things I'll need in an orderly fashion.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Early game? Shale deposits. There's a decent source not far from the life-pod (assuming you have a high capacity tank and the seaglide) in a trench that's between the mushroom forest and the red grass plains. Alternatively, there's another place that the game directs you to that is where I would get diamonds (and lithium) back when the game was still early access...so I'm not 100% positive that you can still get them there.

Seriously, if you don't monitor the radio transmissions (and are sensitive to spoilers), don't click the spoiler
    It's the island where you're supposed to meet the Sunbeam. If you dive down to the base of the island, there were shale deposits that you could break open along the base and around the ascent to the island

Hah, I think I know where you're talking about, I found a diamond there myself. About that island and what's on it:
    I actually made it there before I was prompted and checked out the inside, and now I can make a pretty good guess at how the whole thing with the Sunbeam is going to turn out. Hopefully I'll get some nice extra wreckage out of it?

What happens if you beeline for it at the start, do you get automatically infected when you approach it?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Oh hey, gonna have to go get me a diamond there too, need just one more for
    My laser cutter.

But uh, also
    Isn't swimming down to the base of that island...a little reapery?

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    This game does a good job of getting the panic to set in when exploring confined spaces and your oxygen gets low. You turn around start exiting only to realize you took a wrong turn and are going to drown.

• Options
    Re: That Diamond Location
    You don't need to dive down that deep. Theres a cave on the beach of the mountain full of shale deposits. You should be able to get some diamond there.

• Options
    Okay, it seems I had understood things wrong. I thought you needed to pump air into habitats, but no, it's a matter of powering them up. I can actually make advance outposts now! I kinda wonder what the floating air pump is for, then.

I can't help but imagine the solar energy collectors will probably not work the moment you start getting a tiny bit deep though. Also, I want a beacon blueprint, dangit.

I followed a couple radio messages (Pods 17 and 3), and got myself a blueprint for a compass for my trouble. I also managed to find a vehicle bay blueprint, too. Still missing a part of the Seamoth blueprint, however, so no vehicle yet for me. But right now project one is to make a base with lockers to stash shit.

• Options
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Drascin I've been listening to radio messages here and there and they've gently steered me towards wreckage and a couple blueprints/things to scan. I didn't bother with them during EA but they seem to be leading me towards things I'll need in an orderly fashion.

This.

For example, one of the very first messages talks about how their lifepod nearly got crushed by the remains of the Seamoth bay. That's a fairly unsubtle hint as to the tech fragments you can find in/near that wreck.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Oh hey, gonna have to go get me a diamond there too, need just one more for
    My laser cutter.

But uh, also
    Isn't swimming down to the base of that island...a little reapery?

Nah, I haven't run into any of those down there. The only things to worry about are:
    Warpers and the biters they'll spawn in

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    This game does a good job of getting the panic to set in when exploring confined spaces and your oxygen gets low. You turn around start exiting only to realize you took a wrong turn and are going to drown.

It's actually a terrifyingly good example of why it's so easy to die when diving, even though it seems like dying that way would be so easy to avoid.

• Options
    Reality needs a pathfinder tool.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Can you still install battery and power cell chargers on the Cyclops and charge power cells off of the Cyclops' power cells, essentially creating free energy?
    Edit: Noooope

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Can you still install battery and power cell chargers on the Cyclops and charge power cells off of the Cyclops' power cells, essentially creating free energy?

I believe that got fixed. You'll want to set up charging stations in a few places. Either with Power Cell chargers, or I think you might be able to park the Cyclops near a Power Transmitter to charge it. (Uncertain)

A good place might be, for example, the tree in the lost river biome.

There is also now a Thermal module for the Cyclops that will generate power from anywhere there is heat.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Can the cyclops be destroyed or just take heavy damage that shuts it down?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh My. I started playing on my TV via Steam Link and using a controller. I was getting by but wondering how on earth you were supposed to get food. Turns out when you go back to the computer and use keyboard and mouse you actually have enough dexterity to catch fish! This is much more enjoyable now.
    I kinda wonder what the floating air pump is for, then.

It seems to be a way of creating your own oxygen bubble source by piping oxygen from the surface or a base.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Can the cyclops be destroyed or just take heavy damage that shuts it down?

It can be destroyed, yes.

What's more, I seem to recall the patch notes that implemented Cyclops destruction saying that you can only build the Cyclops once. So if it's destroyed, you have to make efforts to repair it.My mistake, this seems to not be the case. Once wrecked, the destroyed Cyclops will have its own salvage bits that you can harvest (titanium and computer chips) or deconstruct (built modules that you placed in the sub).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Oh boy.

That's going to make going out in it stressful

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/