As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kawase Hasui [chat]

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Finished Consider Phlebas
    Man, that is a bleak ending

It was weird as an intro to The Culture series for me!

I didn't read that one first, i started with Excession which delves into the Minds that run the Culture more than any other book, so I already knew how they felt about things

but if I'd read Phlebas first I think it would have been a better book, because the protagonist describes The Culture like you would describe The Borg in Star Trek.

Yeah, it was a well done exercise in flawed hero fighting the good guys.

And it's a totally reasonable opinion to someone who hasn't lived with them, who's only seen their communications from the outside, if you're from a suspicious civilization it really does sound too good to be true

world after world "falling" to the culture without so much as a shot fired, the machine menace gobbling up the galaxy
    Arguably he's not even wrong. What's her name, the Culture human who the Minds turn to to figure stuff out they can even thinks there's a good chance Horza is right.

Well in Excession
    we get unabridged first person views on the Culture from the most powerful and influential minds, and he really is wrong - some of the minds think that way, but the vast majority do not and really do care about their slow witted, impossibly dull meat occupants. To the point of asking the humans onboard what they want to do about the horrible thing from beyond the universe and respecting their opinions (until such time as events move far too quickly to take a vote)
    Machine minds as active and enthusiastic participants in humanism, even when not needed, delights me.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    808s was the summer after my senior year of high school, smoking weed and figuring out what each other's bodies were for

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Idea: Visual novel with a supernatural Western theme with witches as the love interests.

All My Hexes Live in Texas

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Ready Player One of Games

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    There's this brief moment during the end of the college football season every year where I giggle about the possibility of a SC Gamecocks / Oregon State Beavers bowl game.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I had so much trouble visualizing the cat people in Look to Windward

I googled them to see if anyone had drawn them

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

It can't be that trash

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Banks' non Culture stuff is also great

Steep Approach to Garbadale and Transition are wildly different and both very good

The Wasp Factory was...intense. And very interesting and very good. I’m definitely going to approach his stuff with caution as a results (ie, don’t read if I’m not up for some intense psychological stuff).

Oh, neither of those are like The Wasp Factory

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Eddy wrote: »
    808s was the summer after my senior year of high school, smoking weed and figuring out what each other's bodies were for

*trumpets nmh’ily*

• Options
    okay so I got this free "snack box" thing delivered so now I cancel out of further boxes

it contains a packet of nuts, chocolates, and micro cookie pieces labeled "deconstructed salted caramel chocolate cookie"

god subscription services have gone too far

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Eddy you're like, what, 26-27? What did you go to school for

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Idea: Visual novel with a supernatural Western theme with witches as the love interests.

Oh weird, there’s actually a song with an extremely similar title, wow that’s a crazy coincidence

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

They have a shelf on their chest???
    Yeah I thought they were like...elongated and furry...with shelves...and I never quite envisioned them in my mind.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I didn't read that one first, i started with Excession which delves into the Minds that run the Culture more than any other book, so I already knew how they felt about things

but if I'd read Phlebas first I think it would have been a better book, because the protagonist describes The Culture like you would describe The Borg in Star Trek.

And it's a totally reasonable opinion to someone who hasn't lived with them, who's only seen their communications from the outside, if you're from a suspicious civilization it really does sound too good to be true

world after world "falling" to the culture without so much as a shot fired, the machine menace gobbling up the galaxy
    Arguably he's not even wrong. What's her name, the Culture human who the Minds turn to to figure stuff out they can even thinks there's a good chance Horza is right.

Well in Excession
    we get unabridged first person views on the Culture from the most powerful and influential minds, and he really is wrong - some of the minds think that way, but the vast majority do not and really do care about their slow witted, impossibly dull meat occupants. To the point of asking the humans onboard what they want to do about the horrible thing from beyond the universe and respecting their opinions (until such time as events move far too quickly to take a vote)
    Machine minds as active and enthusiastic participants in humanism, even when not needed, delights me.

More excession
    The concept of something as powerful as a GSV, which normally houses up to half a billion people, wracking itself with guilt for 40 years over so badly miscalculating a single human relationship was fantastic

It played matchmaker and it resulted in an (almost successful!) attempted murder, something which near as I can tell is about as common in The Culture as interdimensional incursions and less common than hegemonizing swarms

override367 on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Oh weird, there’s actually a song with an extremely similar title, wow that’s a crazy coincidence

I've honestly never felt so attacked as I do right now

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I can recommend The Algebraist as a non-Culture Banks novel

still scifi, a universe with a 40k religious space-empire flair

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Law

I thought we discussed this before.....

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Neco we're beefing now.

BEEFING.

• Options

Yeah I thought they were like...elongated and furry...with shelves...and I never quite envisioned them in my mind.

artist depiction
    file_552680.jpg

so weird

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Banks' non Culture stuff is also great

Steep Approach to Garbadale and Transition are wildly different and both very good

The Wasp Factory was...intense. And very interesting and very good. I’m definitely going to approach his stuff with caution as a results (ie, don’t read if I’m not up for some intense psychological stuff).

I kinda burnt out on Banks for a while due to The Wasp Factory and Use of Weapons

Emotionally, my reaction was
    we get it, you vape / are addicted to writing dark twists

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I put my money on Neco

• Options
    I just don't see three legged things evolving in gravity environments, it just seems like it wouldn't work

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

artist depiction
    file_552680.jpg

so weird

Huh. I thought they were longer and more weasel-looking; also, where’s the shelf? His drink should be on it.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

Law

I thought we discussed this before.....

Huh, i didn't remember

I always took you for grad studies in art history or something culture adjacent

• Options

artist depiction
    file_552680.jpg

so weird

Huh. I thought they were longer and more weasel-looking; also, where’s the shelf? His drink should be on it.

it's kinda covered up by the vest I think

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    I put my money on Neco

I thought we had something

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I just don't see three legged things evolving in gravity environments, it just seems like it wouldn't work

It's a well adapted wang.

• Options
    I put my money on Neco

I thought we had something

Well, you are ammonia-poisoned

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Well in Excession

One thing I really like is how miserable the Affront would be being defeated by the Culture, who would end their systematic rape of their females, their feasting on sapient creatures, and they would do it in the most compassionate, patient, and understanding way possible - which is far more humiliating to them than if the culture just parked a thousand ROUs in orbit, vaporized their leaders, and demanded subservience
    A book series I've never heard of. Maybe I will start at the first book. Has anyone audiobooked this? I believe Peter Kenny is the narrator.

• Options
    I put my money on Neco

I appreciate it but no. I could never hurt a raccoon.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I think it could happen but I'd expect rotational symmetry instead of bilateral. And probably like 5 or seven legs instead.

alt post: lookit this three-legged mofo
    3Zru3kGl.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    But also I am too tired for a beef Wellington it’s almost my bedtime and I think I’m not going to last until then before falling asle

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The clips I've seen of Monster Hunter World have been super dramatic and interesting and it's getting some pretty stellar reviews...

I might pick it up when it comes out on PC. I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.

• Options
    sorry ludious but i'm p sure neco will win through the power of love or whatever

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    But also I am too tired for a beef Wellington it’s almost my bedtime and I think I’m not going to last until then before falling asle
    You can make beef Wellington?

I need to eat at Neco's place.

• Options

artist depiction
    file_552680.jpg

so weird
    Wow, his dick has a hairy knuckle.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I made ribs last night and forgot to bring them to work today.

*commits sudoku*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    sorry ludious but i'm p sure neco will win through the power of love or whatever

What?! No! I am the night!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    My friend kickstarted a game called CMON, which is on the cusp of being shipped, from what I hear, but something funny happened with it's production:

http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/this-19-year-old-kiwi-farmer-accidentally-became-a-character-in-a-us-board-game

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

It can't be that trash

This is the mashup we deserve

This discussion has been closed.