Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I just count it as a checkbox. Something that you kind of should have. It's like buying a car without air conditioning in this day and age. A/C is basically like a checkbox that all cars should have, and there are a few who don't have it and that seems weird.

Also, If the switch had netflix that would absolutely 100% reduce the number of devices I need to bring with me when I travel. Right now it's phone, tablet, and switch, the tablet is almost exclusively for netflix/video. If the switch had netflix I wouldn't need to bring the tablet with me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Someone on these forums (I sadly don't remember who) said that there are two opposite and perfectly reasonable positions:

"I already have 10 devices that can play Netflix, why would I need a fridge that plays Netflix?"
    and
    "I already have 10 devices that can play Netflix, why wouldn't my fridge play Netflix?"

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I have 8 devices within arms reach of my Switch console that can play Netflix.

I'm not a fan of this argument. It's been said so much but it's really not always valid, or even if it is I don't want to watch on any of those other devices within reach.

Yeah I can watch Netflix on my phone but I really don't want to. It's a tiny screen with relatively poor audio unless you use headphones, which you can't as easily on a lot of newer phones, and that device needs its battery power reserved for calls and internet. I can watch Netflix on my 3DS too which is not ideal, and I can watch it on my laptop, which also has kinda poor audio. I can go sit in my less comfortable chair and watch it on PC for some reason. I could also get up and change inputs and get the Wii U tablet and all that.

Meanwhile my Switch is already docked on the TV and hooked into the sound system.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I look at the switch right now as a really nice dependable car

with no radio, cup holders, movable seats, glove box, car charging port, or side mirrors

maaaaaaaan this thing drives nice .... but now I have coke all over my lap and no tunes

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

with no radio, cup holders, movable seats, glove box, car charging port, or side mirrors

maaaaaaaan this thing drives nice .... but now I have coke all over my lap and no tunes

Reduce weight by removing unnecessary bloat == go faster!

I guess it really matters what the other devices you have that play Netflix are. For me, those include at least three that play on the TV, so it's really a non-factor. I totally get the "It's a checkbox" argument though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    I had a tablet at one point but it doesn't fit into my life anywhere. Everything it does can be done better or more easily elsewhere, whether phone or PC. I barely used it.

I don't have a smart TV and see no reason to get one. Like JUST for Netflix? I don't care about 4k and my current TV works fine.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    This reminds me of when the Wii couldn't play DVDs because Nintendo didn't want to pay the $20 licensing fee to be able to play DVD movie discs instead of just DVD game discs, or whatever. And, to their credit, that was $20 more profit they made on every Wii sold, and it certainly didn't stop people from buying a Wii.

For the record, I'd like to have Netflix etc. on my Switch, even though I don't imagine I would use it very often, if at all.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    honestly netflix doesn't matter as much to me as a decent eshop, friend communication, a good menu system, cloud or backup saves, and fun things like achievements and the like.

• Options
    Ironically I'd never use a Switch Netflix app on the TV becuase I have a 4K tv and 4k netflix and lol no 4k output at all on switch. But I'd totally use it lying in bed or out and about if it meant I didn't have to reach for another device.

Sure other devices around me can do it, but if the device I'm literally already holding can do it too, why would I put that down and pick up another device?

I'm thinking a use case of I'm playing a game for an hour and then want to watch an episode of a TV series before going to sleep.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    honestly netflix doesn't matter as much to me as a decent eshop, friend communication, a good menu system, cloud or backup saves, and fun things like achievements and the like.

Yeah this is where I'm at.

• Options
    TDawg wrote: »
    This reminds me of when the Wii couldn't play DVDs because Nintendo didn't want to pay the $20 licensing fee to be able to play DVD movie discs instead of just DVD game discs, or whatever. And, to their credit, that was $20 more profit they made on every Wii sold, and it certainly didn't stop people from buying a Wii.

For the record, I'd like to have Netflix etc. on my Switch, even though I don't imagine I would use it very often, if at all.

I homebrew'd my Wii to be able to play region free DVDs but I used it very little since I'd read reports it wasn't intended for that use and could slowly wreck the Wii. Several people seemed to think doing it broke theirs. So it may have been a little more than just paying the fee.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Reduce weight by removing unnecessary bloat == go faster!

I guess it really matters what the other devices you have that play Netflix are. For me, those include at least three that play on the TV, so it's really a non-factor. I totally get the "It's a checkbox" argument though.

Having Netflix on the device will not bog down the Switch any more than having any other downloadable games does.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I homebrew'd my Wii to be able to play region free DVDs but I used it very little since I'd read reports it wasn't intended for that use and could slowly wreck the Wii. Several people seemed to think doing it broke theirs. So it may have been a little more than just paying the fee.

It generated a level of heat the Wii was not designed to handle

I fear the same thing for the Switch. It gets awful hot in that dock and the last thing I need is to add hours of heat exposure per day to the thing that has a finite limit on half of its features due to the built-in battery. I would much rather just use the PS4 that's hooked up to my TV. Or the PS3. Or the PC that's also hooked into it. Or the app in the TV itself. Or, if I had to, buy a Chromecast so when that thing dies it doesn't kill an entire game console.

Calebros on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Calebros wrote: »

I fear the same thing for the Switch. It gets awful hot in that dock and the last thing I need is to add hours of heat exposure per day to the thing that has a finite limit on half of its features due to the built-in battery. I would much rather just use the PS4 that's hooked up to my TV. Or the PS3. Or the PC that's also hooked into it. Or the app in the TV itself. Or, if I had to, buy a Chromecast so when that thing dies it doesn't kill an entire game console.

I'd be very shocked if Netflix caused more system strain than Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey does for the Switch.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I'd be very shocked if Netflix caused more system strain than Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey does for the Switch.

Not that it's harder or "more" strain, just that you can only use something so long before it's overworked and starts to fail and I don't need to subtract 4 hours or whatever from that total lifespan every night.

• Options
    yea, I think you're vastly overestimating the processing power that it takes to run 1080p video in this day and age. CPU's are basically idle for 1080p.

• Options
    Sure, but streaming is a constant workload as well. My chromecast would be hot to the touch after just about an hour. Anyway, not saying it would necessarily be disastrous or anything, and maybe it would impress me and no heat would be generated at all and it would not impact the overall lifespan at all, but I'd rather air on the side of maximizing lifespan and use a different solution anyway.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Sure, but streaming is a constant workload as well. My chromecast would be hot to the touch after just about an hour. Anyway, not saying it would necessarily be disastrous or anything, and maybe it would impress me and no heat would be generated at all and it would not impact the overall lifespan at all, but I'd rather air on the side of maximizing lifespan and use a different solution anyway.

Well the Chromecast is apparently known for having some heat issues. I doubt it has any active cooling in that little puck, whereas the Switch has a fan internally, and another in the dock (I think?). Netflix wouldn't cause any strain beyond what a typical game would cause, typically a lot less. Not enough to shorten the lifespan in any appreciable way.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

This doesn't make much sense. The Switch is still being used whether I play Splatoon 2 or Netflix on it. And the Switch already has Hulu, which I also use on the Switch to watch Brooklyn-9-9 in bed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Now let's do a food analogy! :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    here's my reason i'd like it to have more than Hulu. If i'm playing the switch, my tv input is for the switch. if i can power on the switch and watch netflix or prime or hulu that is fantastic. if i have to switch inputs and power on my ps4 or another device then i'm more likely to not change back the switch immediately and nintendo loses opportunity to sell me things and get valuable data.

It's not that i can't, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason that it shouldn't.

Also, i'm so excited for their news that i pre-ordered kirby, smash, and octopath...Bring on all the games!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Speaking of Hulu you guys were right DS9 is indeed the Best Thing and the first 3 seasons of TNG are poop from a butt.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Speaking of Hulu you guys were right DS9 is indeed the Best Thing and the first 3 seasons of TNG are poop from a butt.

No!! Only season 1. In 2 Riker gets his beard on and also it has the episode Measure of a Man which is one of the best in the series. I don't like the alternate doctor and the finale is a clip show but other than that, it's not bad.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

No!! Only season 1. In 2 Riker gets his beard on and also it has the episode Measure of a Man which is one of the best in the series. I don't like the alternate doctor and the finale is a clip show but other than that, it's not bad.

I don't want to make this into a Star Trek thread again but yeah I hated that second doctor so much and it was hilarious when she disappeared without a word mentioned of her. She didn't even get killed off by a monster of the week like Tasha Yar did. There were some good episodes sprinkled in (the one you mentioned is one that I liked) but I'm still standing by my statement that those first 3 seasons were soooooo bad. It's just so cheesy, the monsters of the week are terrible (and every episode is a monster of the week episode), the crew members that are supposed to be smart act like idiots and get on my nerves, there isn't much worldbuilding going on and what little there is is not at all interesting etc. I did like the finale to s3 though.

edit: also who the hell thought it was a good idea to let a damn kid conduct insane experiments constantly even after they almost get the entire ship killed and cause people to literally phase out of existence? He doesn't belong in the academy he belongs in a damn psych ward.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    edit: Hey, never post and then run off to cook something. Wrong tab derp.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I thought it was a good post!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I came across an episode guide for DS9 that ranked every episode on both overall quality, and also its importance regarding the various ongoing plot threads. It was a good way to cut out episodes that were both unwatchable and inconsequential. I need to find a similar list for TNG. I mean, I've seen just about every episode already, but I'd like a more condensed package for future binges.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Oh wait it actually wasn't the wrong tab, I just glanced up at the title, saw "This is the Switch thread why did I post Star Trek stuff?" and got super confused.

...I need a cup of coffee.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The switch is a perfect fresh flour tortilla with succulent steak

But no cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guac, or seasoning

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

The Switch is a perfect portable gaming console that can easily hook up to the TV.

But no structured online system, no virtual console, almost no streaming apps and no wireless headphone support.

Am I doing this right?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Guys, I ate half my left Joycon. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

The Switch is a perfect portable gaming console that can easily hook up to the TV.

But no structured online system, no virtual console, almost no streaming apps and no wireless headphone support.

Am I doing this right?

At least one type of logitech wireless headphones apparently started working on the switch once the 5.0 update dropped, maybe more headphones work?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/846nps/50_update_and_logitech_g933_headset_fixed/

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Guys, I ate half my left Joycon. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Well you're supposed to eat the whole thing. You don't leave something half eaten.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, I've actually got a G933. I'll have to try it out sometime.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Netflix is like a car with only one edible tire: it's tasty for the first half of the ride, but then you turn on the A/C and it just dumps out a million jelly beans with the same flavor. The Switch is like a chair with only two legs: it's got most of the best pizza toppings, but the two that you want the most are completely impractical, and the crust tastes like compromise, and the stitching is kinda crooked on one side, and it leaks oil every fifth Saturday

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Regarding Netflix on the Switch, I want it because while sure I've got better devices for the job if I want to have a movie night. But that kickstand would mean I could run a stream on the Switch while I'm using one of the other devices to do something else.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Netflix on the Switch is like food: I want it.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    On Switch's lack of video services.... sure, I have a lot of devices that can stream Netflix and my digital movie collection. I have a media device at home that beats the pants off Switch - a PS4. But I'm not going to take my PS4 along when I visit my mom or sister. Switch can and should have these features. More important is that it has games though, something Wii U should have had more of instead of Netflix and far less useful shit like Wii Street U. I'm glad Nintendo is focused on games for the time being. I'm sure Switch will eventually have Netflix, in the meantime I don't have time to watch movies because I'm hopelessly hooked on Stardew Valley (thanks for that, @urahonky )

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeahhhh... Sorry about that! I am glad to have another convert, but at what cost??

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeahhhh... Sorry about that! I am glad to have another convert, but at what cost??

For you: the price of an eShop card. For me: sleep, a social life and daylight.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --