Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Oh.

Oh no.

Oh yes

I'm in a Corruption/Dark Embrace deck. With Snecko Eye.

...and I just got Dead Branch.

SEND HELP

(ps: Dont send help, this is amazing <3)

Edit: Infinity get. also over 500 damage dealt to the Transient in a single turn. Edit edit: That was 600 actually, and i killed the transient in 2 turns. The boss is the Time Eater. This is going to be Good TM

Edit edit edit: It was Good TM.
    2AC4B755D105FF14E480542E9B34AE72A2D0F2B6

Just Defect A7 to go, and i've got A8 unlocked on everyone.

(Also, if me posting winning decks ever gets annoying, please let me know?)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

That's like 70% of the posts in this thread, don't worry about it :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

That's like 70% of the posts in this thread, don't worry about it :P

Honestly, i think that's part of what makes this game so much fun - the draft/deck building element combined with the insanity the rouglike nature throws at you...

Oh yeah! New patch out!

New relics include Sundial (rare, after 7 turns does 40 damage to everything) and Chemical X (shop only, your X spells do +2 more. Or put another way: Whirlwind is now 0 = 16 damage to everything. Other X cards get similarly WTF worthy)

Plus other bits of content and balance changes.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Chemical X sounds amazing. The dream is whirlwind, ice cream, chemical x, flex

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Daily
    15 exhumes! What am I supposed to do with that?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Chemical X sounds amazing. The dream is whirlwind, ice cream, chemical x, flex

I've tried it and it as as amazing as it sounds. One of the best shop relics as long as you have 1-2 good X cards in your deck.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Man, it's weird how much more consistent I am with Defect than the other two. I have managed to win two runs of Ironclad out of like twenty or thirty, won some four runs of silent out of twelve or so... and lost two runs out of twelve with Defect. Even decks where I go "wow this is shaping up terrible" somehow become salvageable. I end up with 30 card decks and I don't even give a fuck.

Hologram+ for card of the year.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Hologram+ is insane - I dont think there's a single deck that doesnt like having the card selection options it gives you.

Oh, and Chemical X is exactly as nuts as you'd think. A9 unlocked on Ironclad, Decu and Donu sent to their rooms to think about what they did through Whirlwind spam.

Edit: It's going to get nerfed. There's no way it stays intact in it's current state - 20 damage for 0 Skewers? (Before any strength, vuln etc). 2 cards and 2 energy for free Dopplegangers? Malaise for -3 STR/+3 Weak? This shit is bahroooken.

Oh god, i just found Nightmare. I mean, yes, i've got Velvet Choker, but still. A turn where i can just drop 60 damage + any str on something, for free? That's insane.

Edit: It was insane. Donu and Decu were a joke. I'm not actually sure any of the bosses could stand up to that. A9 unlocked on Silent. That just felt dirty.

I suspect it needs to be changed to something like: When you spend 1 or more energy on an X cost spell, deal X+2 (maybe 3). As it is, its shatters the energy economy for X spells. (hell, even something like Multi-Cast which is normally a bit crap becomes a Triple Evoke for 0 when upgraded)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Easiest way to nerf Chemical X would be to halve the effect so it only gives +1 to X cards. It would still be good, just not awesome. That said it's not the only really good relic in the game so they might just leave it like it is.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Being a shop-only relic is a pretty big limiter. I can almost never afford to buy relics at the shops, because I'm too busy trashing cards.

• Options
    I guess? I'm finding i'm less prone to spending money on card removal these days - I care about removing Strikes when i can, but there's other options to trash those, and i care about getting rid of curses (Though with enough draw/discard/exhaust, Curses arent that big an issue.). Right now Chemical X is one of those things i'm almost ceartinly going to windmill slam if i've got even one good target for it. (I mean, standard use cases would be +8x2 hits on whirlwind, +10x2 hits on Skewer, and +9x2 Block on Reinforce Body).

I may be over valuing it, but it's pretty crazy at least in my books.

Also: A8 Defect and A9 Silent down. Nearly at the 2/3rds mark! Ended up with a sweet but weird Shiv/Poison deck (That never had the decency to give me Envenom or Snecko Skull). Turns out Catalyst is still pretty good even when you've only got corpse explosion/poison dagger as targets.

Well layed Plans to hold Storm of Steel+ for after you've used Phantasmal Killer is just the dream though. Poor Wokeblokey.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Five in a row normal wins with the ironclad. Hard to tell if I'm getting better or getting lucky. Limit break, spot weakness, and reaper in a deck with less than twenty cards is just ridiculous. Start every fight with full HP. Early singing bowl gets crazy too.

It feels like intangibility or vampirism events are ridiculously good and turn bad or medium runs into easy ones. Accurate?

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, most of that is accurate (at least until like, high ascension), though I personally was never able to make Reaper feel better than just a Cleave. Other people have reported success with it so it's probably a playstyle thing.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, most of the is accurate (at least until like, high ascension), though I personally was never able to make Reaper feel better than just a Cleave. Other people have reported success with it so it's probably a playstyle thing.

It's just nice to be able to full heal any time you stabilize in a +str deck

sig.gif
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think you really need reaper in a deck with limit break or demon form.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I'm almost always on the "kill them first" plan, so Reaper is useless because I'm either at full health or dead.

Edit: Even when doing Strength builds! But then I tend toward the Anger-style strength builds rather than the grindy types.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    All these new relics have made tough bandages/tigasha show up way less often, and have basically removed the discard / exhaust archetypes from silent and ironclad. I just didn't notice it because I was trying to get defect to a15.

Oh well, they were never a consistent option, just a fun build when you hit the supporting relic.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    A10 down on all characters, winning decks below:
    661A05DF0156CFEF2920C441F5F418633D64C291A9B73C47DD130AD51F96AEC57562FBE7BCF4DCB18882D962827F062AA14976C1C216A28B0EFFD843

These were all such sweet decks to play, although oof, some squeaked out wins. Still! Snecko-eye Demon form (30+str at the end), Necronomicon Hyper-beams, Burst Crippling Clouds... Good times, good times!

...I just noticed i ended all 3 runs on 8 HP.

How the fuck...

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    All these new relics have made tough bandages/tigasha show up way less often, and have basically removed the discard / exhaust archetypes from silent and ironclad. I just didn't notice it because I was trying to get defect to a15.

Oh well, they were never a consistent option, just a fun build when you hit the supporting relic.

I had a hell of a time in today's daily climb

Beat it, but only just, and with a confused mess of half completed archetypes. +7 strength and the silent card that blocks and makes shivs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Got offered tingsha in the shop after I'd explicitly been saving up to 250+ in order to afford a relic and had been building a discard-based deck.

Tingsha is like 325 gold...

...still cleared Ascension 3 tho. Eat it, The Shapes!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Got offered tingsha in the shop after I'd explicitly been saving up to 250+ in order to afford a relic and had been building a discard-based deck.

Tingsha is like 325 gold...

...still cleared Ascension 3 tho. Eat it, The Shapes!

I was very upset with myself when i clicked into a shop, realzied i'd not taken the destroy the shrine option preivously... Which had given me enough gold to not only clear the curse, but buy the Snecko Skull the hsop was selling.

Instead i was like... 5 gold short. It was the worst. (Still won tho')

On the still won thing, guess who just cleared A11 with all 3 characters? If you guessed this penguin, you were correct!

One-shot it as Silent, 3 shot it as defect and 4-shot it as Ironclad. Still, the iron clad deck when it finally came together was so good. (admittedly, getting demon form on 'hmm, i need scaling' and the very next shop getting to Bottle it really, really helped)

Decks below, as per usual.
    B96C22255F2E78CFF38AE8239ECB620E069DEB401E9E129B8B73091ED2F7A737A18C67A402F8C97DF55EAD01990D93EB46AE8BD3226FE3FB30862CB3

I'm still yet to live the Burst-Catalyst dream, and this makes me very sad.

Oh hey, A12 down on Silent too. (okay, so i may have had to reload multiple times vs the time eater, because playing at 5am is a great way to end up making a chain of fatal misplays using Nilroy's codex...)

Still, take that you giant slug jerk.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I super don't feel bad about resetting fights nowadays. Whatever.

It does illustrate just how small hand to hand decisions can have huge impacts on the way a fight goes, especially with bosses/elites/3rd floor encounters.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    I didn't even know you could reset fights.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, so long as you haven't died, you can go to the menu and select 'save and quit.' When you continue your run, it will start you at the beginning of the fight. The order of your deck is the same (since that's generated based on the seed somehow), and enemy actions too, I think. I did notice some changes though: in the fight against the Core Lvl 2 boss, the cards stolen by its mini-cores were the same, but one time the left core took card A, and on the reset, it took card B instead.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    Basically I'm really looking forward to TASbot running a sub 3 minute Ascencion 15 with the Silent based on some kind of gross seed manipulation black magic fuckery.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Yeah, so long as you haven't died, you can go to the menu and select 'save and quit.' When you continue your run, it will start you at the beginning of the fight. The order of your deck is the same (since that's generated based on the seed somehow), and enemy actions too, I think. I did notice some changes though: in the fight against the Core Lvl 2 boss, the cards stolen by its mini-cores were the same, but one time the left core took card A, and on the reset, it took card B instead.

they steal by rarity. So they are always gonna take similar cards, but not exactly the same.

• Options
    Right, they stole the same cards both times, but which core stole which card changed between resets, which surprised me a bit.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I won my first run last night, so that was exciting. Went Ironclad and made a fairly tight deck with a couple of shrug it off, pommel strikes, and headbutts to help get me what I needed, grabbed demon form and snagged the broken crown after the first boss fight. Risky, but I had the relic that gives you an extra card choice so it wasn't too bad.

First turn against Deca and Donu I drew demon form and two metallicizes, so I are their alpha strike and played all three of those (thanks to the lantern) and then played defensively until I had some strength built up, flexed, then whirlwinded to deal catastrophic damage to both. I also ended the fight with 106/107 HP thanks to a flexed reaper I got from that one card that gives you a random attack. So that was fun. Overall a lot of luck for me to get what I needed, closest call was The Collector since I went in with low health and just barely finished him with some demon form whirlwinds. Quite fun, now to do it with the others.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Resetting a fight seems to go against the entire concept of the genre.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Savescumming has been around as long as the genre
    (I keep accidentally doing it when I have to leave a run halfway through)

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    This run was really fun. Score is shit but eh, channeling all that lightning made up for it. Occasionally I would drop Thunder Strike bombs on things (27 lightning channeled was my record I think) but it wasn't even necessary because I would end up channeling 9-12 lightning per turn anyway.

3aag21u8u92z.png

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Resetting a fight seems to go against the entire concept of the genre.

I usually only do it when I fuck up in the first 2 turns due to inattention.

• Options
    I got the dream event: upgrade all cards but be unable to heal for the rest of the run, on the last non-rest stop before the final boss. :+1:

Fun deck too. Got to use the Hovering Kite to good effect, with a couple Reflexes, a Tactitian, and an absurd amount of Backflips. Ascension 4 clear!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I got the dream event: upgrade all cards but be unable to heal for the rest of the run, on the last non-rest stop before the final boss. :+1:

Fun deck too. Got to use the Hovering Kite to good effect, with a couple Reflexes, a Tactitian, and an absurd amount of Backflips. Ascension 4 clear!

Nice! One day i'll get the discard deck...

Re: Resetting - For me it's about learning the game. Drafting a deck is one set of skills, and actually playing the deck is another. The second set of skills is at least for me much harder to learn, especialyl as your deck changes dramatically every run - all the more so with Relics added into the mix, further effecting the value.

To give an example: against the above mentioned Time Eater fight, i had Ninja Scroll + Kunai and Shuriken. My opening hand also had a Wraith form+ in it, as well as a bunch of attack cards. The correct play ended up being ignoring the Wraith form, using the Shivs to let me double proc Kunai and Shuriken, and only taking the Nilroy pics that either offered huge offensive payout (Catalyst), or More card draw/energy (adrenline).

Objectively, i knew i had a winning deck - i'd breezed through floor 3 with nary an issue. But actually figuring out how to play the deck in a fight like time eater? Oof. (Time eater especially i think tests your ability to play your deck).

Given my current goal is hitting A15 and then doing win-streaks, i find resetting valuable for letting me loose, but learn form the losses. (Another use is that sometimes when i reset, i find the fight isn't winnable no matter what i do - Which lets me identify that i've Dun Fucked Up on drafting my deck)

Edit: Of course the real thing is: This is what's fun for me! Your mileage may vary, and that's okay!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I save-scum because I am 33 years old and you're not my dad.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    I honestly didn't even know save scumming is an option in this game.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    First run finished, and this game is totally in Early Access, huh.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I honestly didn't even know save scumming is an option in this game.

I think it's not in the traditional "reload saves so that every shot you take is a crit" sense of the word. Your deck order is set by the seed. Enemy actions are set by the seed. Enemy actions are, in most cases, highly scripted anyways. So it's not like you can re-roll your opening hand, for example, so that you always get the cards you need, or roll into good enemy RNG. You can't even use it to try a question mark space, and then if you don't like the event, try a different space instead, or try to roll for a different event since the game saves at the start of each encounter.

But so long as you haven't actually died, you can get a do-over on a fight and try a different sequence of plays.

All that's just rationalizing on my part, but I'm fine with that.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Nice! One day i'll get the discard deck...

I was offered the Hovering Kite at the first boss, and spent probably 2 minutes hemming and hawing. At that point I didn't really have any discard synergy. What I did have was 2 Unloads, and at least 3, if not 4, Quick Slashes. What ended up deciding it for me was that one of the early relics I picked up was Prayer Wheel. I essentially had all the discard power I would need, it was just a matter of getting good rolls off the Prayer Wheel. While Tactician and Reflex are both uncommon, Backflip is just common, so at worst I have a lot of cycle and block, and the energy to do that effectively.

Definitely a fun deck! Tingsha would have made it absolutely godlike. Someday, someday...

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    avensisavensis Registered User new member
    edited July 2018
    Slay the spire is really excellent, the graphic and sound styles will not please everyone but perosnally I find them very nice. Really very good game, I'm at a hundred hours and I did not expect to spend so much time.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

avensis on