As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dissidia Mobile] Aranea you folks gonna skip the new Global First character?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    On the otherhand, I drew on the Terra banner as well (hoping for Terra's weapon) and came away with *another* Chocoblade (the only 5* in the draw). What should I do with another Chocoblade (I already have one that's been upgraded 3 crystals/limit breaks)?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    sell it for a power orb, you can smash 4 power orbs into a 5* weapon to limit break it once

Beasteh on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Wait, you need four 5* power orbs to limit break a weapon one time? I thought it'd be 1:1

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    Wait, you need four 5* power orbs to limit break a weapon one time? I thought it'd be 1:1

One of the same 5* weapons to limit it. Or 4 power stones from no duplicate 5*'s.

ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    Well, that's still good that it's possible, but when I first heard about the ability to get power stones from 5* weapons, I thought it was a 1:1 trade to smash it on any 5* and increase the Limit Break.

That makes it a bit more difficult to cap some weapons that I had in mind to cap off (Terra/Vaan)...

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Don't worry eventually the current hotness 15 CP relics will be trash that you don't want on the 35 CP banners and you can turn them into 1/4 of a limit break

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I've also run out of 3 and 4 star equipment, so I guess I should pull again if only for that stuff. Squall banner I'm thinking.

I move equipment around to whichever characters I'm working on, I want to save up for banners that I'm more interested in. I've got swords, a staff, a gun, and a heavy blade, so I can level a good portion of the current cast. Dagger and thrower characters are gonna have to wait, though.
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i think i might focus on y'shtola right now as my third character, even though i'm missing her 4* armor.

The passive bonuses from having the "correct" 4* armor are pretty minor. IMO just any old 4* armor works fine for now.

• Options
    Finally cleared stage 5 of Squall's event. Got my 3 free pull tickets.

Got Squall's 4* armor and gunblade (and a random 3* trash).

What's the point of 4* armor when I have two copies of his 5*!? Just... ugh.

• Options
    4* stuff has a passive you can unlock, but it's hard enough to level a single 5* weapon let alone a few for multiple units. I don't know who would ever find time to grind for all the resources to get the passive from a 4* armor too.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    4* stuff has a passive you can unlock, but it's hard enough to level a single 5* weapon let alone a few for multiple units. I don't know who would ever find time to grind for all the resources to get the passive from a 4* armor too.

They use different resources, though. I mean, gil is still a thing, but the upgrade materials are different.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    What causes the background of a weapon icon to change color? Most of the weapons I see have a gold background, but for some, it's sky blue. Does that mean the weapon has been maxed out?

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They use different resources, though. I mean, gil is still a thing, but the upgrade materials are different.

Yeah I was more just thinking gil. If you have a handful of weapons you want the passives of it's a ton of gil that I don't really see spending on the armor passives which are usually just extra stats like some more hp/def/etc.

• Options
    Vivi fans rejoice, JP just got his level 60 upgrade and it seems pretty good:

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Do upgrade mats drop regularly, and should they be used on unbroken 5* weapons? I want to upgrade some weapons for the stats, but I'm afraid of putting myself in a hole if better stuff comes out soon.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    What causes the background of a weapon icon to change color? Most of the weapons I see have a gold background, but for some, it's sky blue. Does that mean the weapon has been maxed out?

Yeah, it's maxed out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What determines the background color on a character's portrait? Like, why are some all dark purple and others golden?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    What determines the background color on a character's portrait? Like, why are some all dark purple and others golden?

1 item with character affinity = purple
    2 item with character affinity = gold

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Do upgrade mats drop regularly, and should they be used on unbroken 5* weapons? I want to upgrade some weapons for the stats, but I'm afraid of putting myself in a hole if better stuff comes out soon.

There's a bottomless supply of upgrade mats if you're willing to grind for it in the story dungeons (the "Hope dojo" specifically, but plenty of other dungeons will also drop stuff). You can also grind some of the higher difficulty levels of the Squall event for mats (and there are also gil rewards for doing so, which will become important soon if it isn't already).

I've got most of my 5* gear up near level 20 already without doing any significant grinding, other than using stamina on the highest tier of the right side of the Carbuncle thing. IMO it's safe to upgrade the gear you're using now.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

1 item with character affinity = purple
    2 item with character affinity = gold

Oooooh. This was driving me nuts earlier trying to figure that out...

Edit: Also, I kinda just tapped through the screen explaining this, but how/when do combo attacks happen? Is there a way to control them or is it just random?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Edit: Also, I kinda just tapped through the screen explaining this, but how/when do combo attacks happen? Is there a way to control them or is it just random?

When it happens is random, though there will be an icon displayed on the enemy to indicate that the current action will trigger it. According to the help screen, if you keep attacking the same target (rather than switching targets) it's more likely to happen.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Fry wrote: »

When it happens is random, though there will be an icon displayed on the enemy to indicate that the current action will trigger it. According to the help screen, if you keep attacking the same target (rather than switching targets) it's more likely to happen.

The exception being abilities like Cloud's Finishing Touch, which will always trigger one. He gets a whopping one charge of that (at the moment) but it's a pretty busted effect so.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Took another shot on the Squall banner. Got it! Also Tifa's fist, which is my first 5* fist, so that's a nice option. Going into hibernate mode for gems, for now.

• Options
    Cleared part 5 now, but I got broke at some point. So I’ll run it once more tonight.

Need to get my weapons leveled up more, but farming Hope Dojo is hella lame

• Options
    Does upgrading armor give you anything besides more DEF?

• Options

Not that I’ve noticed.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

If you fully limit break a 4* or 5* armor, it'll unlock a new passive for the character. It'll also increase the amount of CP (passive points) that the character has to use.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »

If you fully limit break a 4* or 5* armor, it'll unlock a new passive for the character. It'll also increase the amount of CP (passive points) that the character has to use.

Right, but no stats besides DEF, so definitely second priority compared to weapons.

Spent all my gil, all my 2*/3* weapons, and all of my stones, but I've now got fully upgraded weapons for WoL and Squall, which makes a massive difference. I went from "sorta struggling to get a good score on the level 20 daily" to "crushed the level 30."

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So wait, I can’t update the app in iOS? I have to uninstall, and redownload the app from scratch? I haven’t backed up my data through Facebook yet. Will all my shit get wiped?

• Options
    I wouldn't uninstall if you're not linked to Facebook yet.

Some discussion about updating in iOS in the comments here; might be a working solution among them for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/comments/7wbwpu/games_up/

• Options
    Sucks that it's making you uninstall and reinstall to update, I didn't get that on my Android emulator this morning.

If you do have to uninstall/reinstall, yes definitely back up your data through Facebook, because it will probably wipe your data. Uninstall/reinstall was one way that people were intentionally rerolling...

• Options
    Well, I rolled on the Terra banner, well mostly because I really like Terra/FF6 in general. Well I like FF12 too, but Penelo specifically is ehhh..., and I ended up with 3 5* weapons. Two of them were Terra's (and 1 Rem).

I feel like my luck currently is just an elaborate trap to get me hooked into this game, and then the other shoe is gonna drop and I'll have crappy luck from then on out. But I guess I'll enjoy the ride till then. ;-)

• Options
    Got up to another 5k with the last of my First Meet MP bonuses (did these stop at 20 for you guys too?) And did another All Characters draw. Three 5* again (I've been quite lucky); new relics for King and Firion, and a dupe for Yang which I sold.

King and Firion aren't big wows for me, but the former is my first 5* gun so that's helpful. More interestingly, I'm up to weapons for 14 different characters, which might be helpful at some point?

I'll probably stop pulling on that banner now. Still got a fair chunk of gems to accrue from the story + Hard missions, but with over half the contents I'm more likely to get more dupes I don't want. Kinda wish I hadn't fused my Tifa dupe.

• Options
    Update was fine for me in iOS.

I had to refresh the App Store, but something is borked if you’re needing to uninstall.

If you don’t have a Facebook link or transfer code you will lose your data though. :(

• Options
    Also Terra with her second ability is really, really fun. Both of her Chants give her an ATK buff and replace her Attack command, and they both give her an extra 50% of current BRV.

Meltdown (Chant) also adds a Max BRV buff, and Meltdown itself adds a chunk of BRV before doing an HP attack that lowers DEF.

Meteor (Chant) also adds a SPD buff, and Meteor itself does 10 BRV attacks before doing an HP attack that lowers DEF.

You only get one replaced attack, but the various buffs linger their full duration. Her 15CP weapon increases the BRV gained when doing the first Chant, plus increases the duration of the ATK Up and the DEF Down.

Anyway, I recommend leveling her even if you haven't got the weapon. It seems like her two abilities last forever and her animations are dope.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Preview writeup of the (probable) next event, for Vanille:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/comments/7we5p4/vanilles_event_stage_lvl_50_preparations/

Strategy/planning talk:
    Apparently this was one of the most challenging events to date for JP players. The toughest battle of the event features both a Malboro and a "Berserk Armor" that resists physical attacks and buffs itself. That strongly suggests a team of Yuna (for Esuna), Vanille (for Dispel), and a third character that deals magic damage (probably Hope, for Protect and Shell).

If you have one or more 5* staff weapons, you'll be in much better shape than folks who don't have any. Another sticking point is that Yuna and Hope both require white crystals to power up, so if you've been spending your white crystals elsewhere (WoL, Penelo) you could be in a bit of a hole, farming-wise. Vanille uses red crystals, so it wouldn't hurt to lay in a supply of those as well.

It also might be a good idea to work on getting Sylph levelled up, for passive debuff resistance.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yoinked this from the FFRK thread, answering here because it's not relevant there:
    10 daily dungeons and 5 link bells takes a lot of time for me. I can't even crack the toughest difficulty levels of the daily dungeons, carbuncle dungeon, and squall dungeon, so grinding is the thing I need to be doing. I've yet to grasp the fundamentals of the game. Even in dungeons, I find myself caught a lot thinking about who enemies will be targeting, and how to avoid getting broken, and playing chess several moves ahead and getting nowhere right now.

Link Bells are kinda pointless at the moment. You get the same rewards for hosting as for joining, and both of the current multiplayer fights are easy enough to do with pickup groups. So I'm not worrying about spending all of my link bells every day and instead just doing MP as much or as little as I feel like.

Definitely do daily dungeons as much as you can every day, the crystals are a big bottleneck on advancement. The biggest hurdle right at the start though is getting your 5* weapons upgraded. Seriously, one level of a 5* weapon is worth as much as character levels 20-40 combined, it's kind of absurd. The value of getting XP on your characters is pretty low. Consequently you probably want to be doing the right half of Carbuncle's world of illusion for upgrade mats rather than the left side for crystals.

General decisionmaking for combat could be something like this, though of course it can vary:
    - can I kill something? Do HP attack on that
    - Is this character being targetted by an enemy? Do a BRV attack somewhere
    - Is this character at max BRV? Do an HP attack.
    - Try to break something via BRV attack

It's a real challenge to get anything done with characters that have weapons that are not 5*. It doesn't necessarily need to be that character's weapon - Squall has been cleaning house using Cloud's Organics - but it should probably be a 5* weapon of some sort. Even 4* weapons feel wimpy to me.

As a datapoint, I just finished the top difficulty of the Squall event with Cloud, Vaan, and Vivi. Level 20 weapons for each of them, crystal levels 35/35/25. I had a previous clear earlier with lower levels on everything, but didn't get full medals because Cloud ate a Heave for like 3000 and died, failing the "No KOs" condition.

Fry on
  • Options
    I did the last Squall stage with WoL 50/27 with lvl 16 weapon, Rem 45/34 with level 16 weapon, and Cloud 42/35 with lvl 22 weapon. I don't really bother using anyone without a 5* weapon that they can equip.

It wasn't really that bad, but Rem saved me from a couple mistakes with switch turns. I took 2 runs to get all the achievements, but I don't think I'm going to bother with the kill 10 Gaia Behemoth thing unless there is another reward for all the achievements.

• Options
    You get some bonus gil for a few milestones up to 30 Gaia Behemoth kills, but it's probably not worth your time to do it actively. You could get there by autoing through the low level event fights, but there are probably more valuable things to auto through (looking for summon upgrade mats in story dungeons, for instance).

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Finally mastered the 20 stam World of Illusion stages. Took a stab at the 30 stam stages. Barely completed them. I think I'm just going to grind Hope's Dojo for like, 24 hours straight.