As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Adios, SUPERGENIUS!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Yeah I find it pretty difficult to get worked up over PEDs at this point

I would find it easier to get upset if testing wasn't years behind steroids, and the people who get caught are always that rare exemption thus making taking them more profitable than not.

It's like cycling, its easier to cheat and hope to not get caught, then to play clean and continue to lose to cheaters.

The idea that all but a few of our professional athletes use performance enhancing substances at some point is kinda farcical.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I would find it easier to get upset if testing wasn't years behind steroids, and the people who get caught are always that rare exemption thus making taking them more profitable than not.

It's like cycling, its easier to cheat and hope to not get caught, then to play clean and continue to lose to cheaters.

The idea that all but a few of our professional athletes use performance enhancing substances at some point is kinda farcical.

Are you saying that its only a few bad actors? Because I just don't trust that. I don't trust "pure athleticism" hell even athletes of old took steroids or their equivalents.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Are you saying that its only a few bad actors? Because I just don't trust that. I don't trust "pure athleticism" hell even athletes of old took steroids or their equivalents.

No the exact opposite. They all do some bullshit to be that good.

• Options

No the exact opposite. They all do some bullshit to be that good.

Ok yeah I was confused someone as cynical as you believing pro athletes just didn't synch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I don't know man. Maybe for some of the bigger positions, but I just turned 33, weigh 178lbs at 5'7 and I ran a 4.5 40 back in January. Now, sure, maybe I hold up way better than a whole lot of others. But I'm also not getting paid millions of dollars to freaking stay in shape like these guys are. Like, it's utterly possible to compete at that level without resorting to drugs, for the skill positions at least. I have no idea about say, an OLB that is expected to weight 60 lbs more and be just as fast.

But Edelman? Nah, no fucking need.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I don't know man. Maybe for some of the bigger positions, but I just turned 33, weigh 178lbs at 5'7 and I ran a 4.5 40 back in January. Now, sure, maybe I hold up way better than a whole lot of others. But I'm also not getting paid millions of dollars to freaking stay in shape like these guys are. Like, it's utterly possible to compete at that level without resorting to drugs, for the skill positions at least. I have no idea about say, an OLB that is expected to weight 60 lbs more and be just as fast.

Do thou run 4.5 40s for like an hour straight while being hit by 300lbs freight trains?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

remember, edelman is 32 years old and trying to recover from a torn ACL at a skill position, specifically slot receiver, one that requires sharp cuts and quickness

i can totally see him getting popped for HGH or something similar trying to heal fully

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Using the analytics to go for it on 4th down and go for 2 more frequently would yield greater results than PEDs

Except everyone uses PEDs so you have to do both

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I thought it was OK to be on steroids and such recovering from an injury as part of a procedure prescribed by the dr. Peyton did for example while recovering am I correct? Or has something changed ?

I just don't see why we're given Edelman the benefit of the doubt besides he's a patriot.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Nope! That’s MMA

In the NFL it goes:
    Opioids = not just ok, but dangerously pushed by training staff
    Medically used steroids/HGH/supplements = bad
    Legal/Medical weed = lol fuck off you junkie

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I thought it was OK to be on steroids and such recovering from an injury as part of a procedure prescribed by the dr. Peyton did for example while recovering am I correct? Or has something changed ?

I just don't see why we're given Edelman the benefit of the doubt besides he's a patriot.

no, peyton's WIFE was doing the HGH, remember

it was a very believable story

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Do thou run 4.5 40s for like an hour straight while being hit by 300lbs freight trains?

I'm going to go play tonight from 6 til 9 with a lot less of a break than the NFL guys get since we play both ways the full time with only a few water breaks between games. Granted, we don't have full on tackling, but we block downfield and jam at the lines, and it's not like collisions don't happen on crossing routes. But again, I'm not even getting paid to do this, and I can keep that level of physicality up.

I'm quite sure I'm not that special of a snowflake and for millions of dollars the NFL should be able to find roughly 1600 people in a nation of 300 million that could perform at an acceptable level without needing PED's if they really, really wanted to. Now whether they do or not, who the fuck knows, but I don't think that just because someone is doing those things means they are on drugs. If anything I'm really disappointed in Edelman that he needs PED's just to hit that level of performance.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Jesus I got winded and almost passed out just reading about that activity

Real answer- when everyone is a pro, a 1% edge can make you a star. Cryo, cupping, diet, film study, routines, James Harrison spending like $1 million a year on his body to keep going, etc

It’s an arms race

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

I'm going to go play tonight from 6 til 9 with a lot less of a break than the NFL guys get since we play both ways the full time with only a few water breaks between games. Granted, we don't have full on tackling, but we block downfield and jam at the lines, and it's not like collisions don't happen on crossing routes. But again, I'm not even getting paid to do this, and I can keep that level of physicality up.

I'm quite sure I'm not that special of a snowflake and for millions of dollars the NFL should be able to find roughly 1600 people in a nation of 300 million that could perform at an acceptable level without needing PED's if they really, really wanted to. Now whether they do or not, who the fuck knows, but I don't think that just because someone is doing those things means they are on drugs. If anything I'm really disappointed in Edelman that he needs PED's just to hit that level of performance.

no disrespect, but these guys are the top 0.0001% of the population at doing this. there's very little margin for error

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    A hand timed 4.5 is like a 4.7 at best (which is still p impressive and D1 athlete level of fast)

But it’s rather beside the point

If an advantage can be gained, it will be taken, or you fall behind

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

no, peyton's WIFE was doing the HGH, remember

it was a very believable story

Wasn't this Clemens excuse?

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

It's the truth. It's been found to be the truth in pretty much every sport where the testing catches up with the substances.

It becomes a simple game theory/math problem. The further down the bell curve you move, the larger the pool of people who can perform at that level. There may be 25 guys for every spot who can perform at 90% of good enough to be pro. If even 4% of them are willing to cheat, and cheating is good enough to get you that extra 10%, then the entire sport becomes populated with cheaters.

(And when what's on the line is the difference between realizing your dream and making hundreds of thousands of dollars, or going to coach JV at your old high school, the willingness is way higher than 4%)

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Man I would not link the dink from barstool sports reporting on anything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man I would not link the dink from barstool sports reporting on anything.

I have no idea who he is, tbh, just that this report seems to be gaining traction because its been corroborated by quite a few people

• Options
    He runs barstool sports a group of chuckle fucks, but if other people back his reporting then this could be a story.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    He runs barstool sports a group of chuckle fucks, but if other people back his reporting then this could be a story.

Its being both corroborated and contradicted right now.

But the guy who leaked the Edelman suspension a day before the news broke has hinted that this is legit along with a few other people who have been right in the past. But then again you've got quite a few other reporters and even Gronk's brother saying this is false.

Again, all we've got are rumors and denials, so who knows at this point, really?

edit: Biggest piece of evidence that this is legit is that Vegas books have removed all of the Patriot's season's odds. If Vegas is making moves, then you know something is up.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    If this is finally it, that was a pretty good run

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I am probably wrong, but the Patriots losing any single player doesn't really affect their chances at a super bowl, imo.

I feel like Belichick could take them to at least the AFC Championship with any roster in the NFL.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I am probably wrong, but the Patriots losing any single player doesn't really affect their chances at a super bowl, imo.

I feel like Belichick could take them to at least the AFC Championship with any roster in the NFL.

They have shown they are able to compensate for the loss of just about anybody, but Brady and Gronk bring some unique skills to the team and it would be a big hit to lose either of them.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yeah if Brady went down they'd probably barely win 11 games.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

They have shown they are able to compensate for the loss of just about anybody, but Brady and Gronk bring some unique skills to the team and it would be a big hit to lose either of them.

I'm pretty sure that in the last few years, we have a better record with Gronk out than with him suited up.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that in the last few years, we have a better record with Gronk out than with him suited up.

When he’s out, Brady’s stats are far, far worse

And just, eye test, we look bad and struggle to consistently move the ball

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Looks like its a constant battle between the non-emotional attachment of Belichick and the loyalty of Kraft/Brady.

FWIW, if I was Kraft I would just trust Belichick's method and let him keep cycling players in and out of the system. Garropolo was the first real battle of this war. Looks like Gronk was the second. And it sounds like Belichick lost both of those. Not sure how many more losses Belichick will want to take.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    So no proof this happened other than rumor and the status quo remains. I trust nothing!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yesss, yeeessssss

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Oh poor writers, those poor little babies. Fuck you buddy. You already snubbed TO for two fucking years you dick wads.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    gronk should come to SF, you already know jimmy's arm, but even more more importantly, we party harder than boston

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh poor writers, those poor little babies. Fuck you buddy. You already snubbed TO for two fucking years you dick wads.

I liked the point made at the end of the piece - if this writer is going to be this bent out of shape over Owens' choice, maybe Canton needs to pull his vote.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    TO also probably did this as big, fuck you, to Skip Bayless in particular.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    In news that is probably unsurprising, a Dallas DT David Irving will be suspended four games for substance abuse.

If he isn't cut, then he probably has continued use on the defense.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Looks like its a constant battle between the non-emotional attachment of Belichick and the loyalty of Kraft/Brady.

FWIW, if I was Kraft I would just trust Belichick's method and let him keep cycling players in and out of the system. Garropolo was the first real battle of this war. Looks like Gronk was the second. And it sounds like Belichick lost both of those. Not sure how many more losses Belichick will want to take.

Its more like sports reporters know that people will believe anything about the Patriots and really want to believe the team is falling apart. So they can report stuff like this and people will decide that Kraft (who holds as a central guiding principal after Parcells/Carrol that you don't interfere with football decisions) at the direction of Brady (who has always been BB's ultimate soldier) is making a series of ultimatums and that Belichick (who demands control of all levels of football operations and could immediately take over any team he wanted because he's universally seen as the best coach in the league) is kowtowing to them. You have to really want to believe it to be true to think Belichick is being made to do anything he doesn't want to do.

The actual beat reporters or the primary national column writers with sources are never the people with these stories, its always periphery feature writers trying to make a name for themselves. And when its denied categorically by all parties, well of course they'd say that. And when central facts are disprovable by public information, other reporting or simple logic, well the gist must be true. And ultimately its sports so who cares if they don't follow journalistic standards of having multiple sources.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Oakland Los Angeles Oakland soon-to-be Las Vegas Raiders have already cut Christian Hackenberg.

Raiders' Jon Gruden considered Hackenberg a first-rounder in 2016, saying he'd be "shocked" if he didn't go in R1.

Two years later, Gruden didn't even find Hackenberg worth a conditional 7th-round pick, let alone a roster spot beyond OTAs.

Life comes at you fast.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Life comes at you fast.

Unless you're Jon Gruden, then life comes at you slow enough that it's still Y2K, baby.