As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Wow with so many craters of various sizes its really hard to get a sense on altitude in that video until you see dust flying around.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Wow with so many craters of various sizes its really hard to get a sense on altitude in that video until you see dust flying around.

I was just about to post this.

It's like zooming in on a fractal.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Seeing a lot of plausible reasons why they want a leaner company at this time. I could see some or all of them being true:
    • People hired that specialize in carbon fiber aren't so necessary now with their new stainless steel designs
    • Launch demand is going to be somewhat soft for the next few years. If low launch costs are going to spur new business that'll take a few more years to manifest due to long lead times in satellite contracting and construction. Similar to what happened with the Falcon 1 and smallsats.
    • Combined with the above, at the rate they're re-using boosters they'll potentially be cutting back significantly on new booster and engine production, so less personnel needed for that.
    • Development for the Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, the Merlin engine and Crew Dragon are either done or wrapping up, with Raptor and BFR's development having been started in parallel a few years ago. So those who were working on those projects may now be unnecessary.
    • Starlink and Starship/Super Heavy development and deployment are going to be very expensive, so expensive. So better to "trim the fat" now and give themselves more financial wiggle room so they can better absorb any mishaps or setbacks.

Seal on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Seeing a lot of plausible reasons why they want a leaner company at this time. I could see some or all of them being true:
    • People hired that specialize in carbon fiber aren't so necessary now with their new stainless steel designs
    • Launch demand is going to be somewhat soft for the next few years. If low launch costs are going to spur new business that'll take a few more years to manifest due to long lead times in satellite contracting and construction. Similar to what happened with the Falcon 1 and smallsats.
    • Combined with the above, at the rate they're re-using boosters they'll potentially be cutting back significantly on new booster and engine production, so less personnel needed for that.
    • Development for the Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, the Merlin engine and Crew Dragon are either done or wrapping up, with Raptor and BFR's development having been started in parallel a few years ago. So those who were working on those projects may now be unnecessary.
    • Starlink and Starship/Super Heavy development and deployment are going to be very expensive, so expensive. So better to "trim the fat" now and give themselves more financial wiggle room so they can better absorb any mishaps or setbacks.

I think this is what's driving it. BFR/Starlink are going to be huge expenditures, and they likely don't feel the need to work on Falcon 9 design anymore. Especially since one of the federal branches demands that you have a "locked" design.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Scott Manley did some Chang'e stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI_feE6r-Oc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unEbg_dt3DM

It's amazing how worthless your sense of scale and distance is without atmospheric scattering and/or distinguishable terrain features.

• Options
    https://www.geekwire.com/2019/stratolaunch-layoffs/

Following the death of Paul Allen Statolaunch will be discontinuing development of their own engine and launch vehicle, but they'll continue to develop their rather enormous plane so it can someday carry up to 3 of Northrop Grumman’s Pegasus XL launch vehicle. A Pegasus launch costs ~$40 million to put 443 kg into orbit. In comparison it's 80% the cost of a Falcon 9 for 1/50 the payload to LEO. Or an Electron which is somewhere around $6 million, but it only has half the payload capacity. I don't think the economics of Stratolaunch are looking great, particularly with the sudden glut of private companies getting into space launch. But maybe they'll find in a niche deploying specialty satellites into LEO.

Interestingly back in 2011 SpaceX was contracted to build a launch vehicle for the Statolaunch aircraft. The "Falcon 9 air" or "Falcon 5" would be developed by SpaceX, attachment hardware and integration would be done by a company called Dynetics and Stratolaunch would fly it to altitude where it would launch. The original plan was for SpaceX to use as much common hardware as possible in the design. But as things developed, Dynetics wanted certain changes to be made to the vehicle such as adding chines. So in late 2012 the companies parted ways amicably as SpaceX felt it wasn't in their best interest to spend a lot of resources making modifications to a launch vehicle that wouldn't directly apply to their own plans.

• Options
    Does a secondary launch vehicle like that offer significant safety improvements?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    I don't think so, all you're doing is taking a two stage launch vehicle and instead of a static launch pad you deploy it from a plane. The main draw is you get above the bulk of the Earths atmosphere so you lose a lot loss energy travelling through the troposphere. And compared to rockets operating a plane for a flight is very cheap, assuming you can recoup the initial purchase of a very large plane which usually runs well over $200 million.

• Options
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking maybe you wouldn't have to worry about Max-Q, which seems to be the highest stress point?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking maybe you wouldn't have to worry about Max-Q, which seems to be the highest stress point?

No, you'll still reach a point of max q launching in atmosphere. The dynamic pressure at max q would just be lower than it is for a ground launch because the air density at altitude is lower to begin with. Lower stress on the vehicle means you could make it lighter/cheaper.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Why hello there, new Ultima Thule image.

Looks like it took a few hits.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

There’s a sad mouth and two eyes on the smaller lobe, it looks bundled up and sad. 😪

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Mark Kelly is an Astronaut whom has been to space

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i can’t even get out of bed that smoothly

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Not sure if those are hits or just lumpiness of various smaller masses over time congeling into what it currently is.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Just met a guy building a scale Saturn V, it's pretty crazy. 6 ft tall, and I guess it flies.

Brody on

• Options

We're finally getting pictures of a completed or near completed full size Raptor engine, though the resolution could be better. They seem to confirm that it will be using a stepped bell design so it can fire at all altitudes without exploding due to instability in the exhaust. It's quite large and the plumbing looks ridiculously complex, in contrast to their less advanced Merlin 1D. Note the lack of a pre-burning exhaust, as Raptor is a full flow design and pipes the exhaust from its two gas generators (one fuel rich, one oxygen rich)back into the main combustion chamber for higher efficiency.
    26pmok1bbtuo.jpg

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    After fifteen years, 61 times the originally planned 90 days, Opportunity's mission is about to officially end. The little rover that could and could and could has gone silent and has not responded since a dust storm blocked the sunlight from it. A salute to good engineering and a lot of persistence.

...Either that or Opportunity has just gone rogue.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

We're finally getting pictures of a completed or near completed full size Raptor engine, though the resolution could be better. They seem to confirm that it will be using a stepped bell design so it can fire at all altitudes without exploding due to instability in the exhaust. It's quite large and the plumbing looks ridiculously complex, in contrast to their less advanced Merlin 1D. Note the lack of a pre-burning exhaust, as Raptor is a full flow design and pipes the exhaust from its two gas generators (one fuel rich, one oxygen rich)back into the main combustion chamber for higher efficiency.

*Awesome person working on rocket engine picture*

That would be such a fucking cool job.

"What do you do for a living Mary?"

"Oh I just build rocket engines all day, no big".

Hell yea.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4TU3arrZR8

Juno continues to deliver spectacular views. At closest approach Juno is still over 4,000 km above Jupiter to give you an idea of the perspective.

• Options
    Arianespace. Frances, and by extension the EU's (as well as commercial customers globally) ride to space with their Ariane 5 and smaller Vega rockets have been in a news a bit lately. They cut prices their Ariane 5 to match prices for their upcoming Ariane 6 launch vehicle. This comes in the wake of their announced plans to shed 2,300 employees over the course of the next 3 years. These actions are in response to the rise of Space X and their low launch costs, as well as weaker overall demand for lucrative GEO contracts in the market overall.

Now in more recent news the French state auditor Cour des comptes has put out a report that does not speak well to the future competiveness of the Ariane 6. While the report does make caveats, it does acknowledge that the economics of the service they provide have changed and makes recommendations going forwards. Such as more innovation and less money spent on maintaining their existing contractors.

I think this is a positive, if small step for Arianespace. Assuming they take the report to heart. The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging you have one, even grudgingly. Arianespace isn't going anywhere, France and the rest of Europe won't allow themselves to be dependant on foreign launch services. So in the future I'm hopeful they'll make some major strides in reusability rather than focusing on being more efficient at throwing 100% of a rocket away every launch.

Also here's a neat Vega C video:
    https://youtu.be/i4zfov_9Qxs

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4TU3arrZR8

Juno continues to deliver spectacular views. At closest approach Juno is still over 4,000 km above Jupiter to give you an idea of the perspective.

Earthside almost all the visual work from the probe is done by amateurs, too. NASA has no budget for image processing with Juno, so they just unleash the raw images and the Internet does its thing. The bulk of the really cool Juno imagery, including most of the interpolated videos like this, is from just two guys.

One of the two has a Flickr, where he alternates between Juno stuff and Mars stuff depending on what's come in lately.

(Doran and Eichstadt don't get shouted out nearly enough for the buzz their work makes.)

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    After a mission that ended up lasting fifteen years, and a silence of eight months, NASA have officially declared Mars Rover Opportunity dead. From the Associated Press:

Ladies and gentlemen, let’s pour one out for the brave little rover.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    good puppy

• Options
    The official NASA twitter account for Spirit and Opportunity notes that even while dying, Opportunity kept discovering. The dust storm that finally claimed the rover was the most intense ever recorded on Mars.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I hope that the first settlement or science base on Mars goes to the trouble of retrieving it to take pride of place in the entrance to the compound.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I hope that the first settlement or science base on Mars goes to the trouble of retrieving it to take pride of place in the entrance to the compound.

This is why I think the idea of robogenocide is absurd.

We're already thinking about how we're going to bring him back!

• Options
    8ct65cns20fe.png

• Options
    Dear god Chanus I’m so glad you posted THAT Mars Rover XKCD comic and not the other one. I really don’t want to burst into tears. Again.

• Options
    Dear god Chanus I’m so glad you posted THAT Mars Rover XKCD comic and not the other one. I really don’t want to burst into tears. Again.

this is affecting me emotionally in ways i wasn't prepared for

stupid robot making me feel things

• Options
    also i'm going to assume you mean this one and not the one i know you mean

0dv2is52gycp.png

• Options
    Oh cool. NASA InSight just posted a link allowing you to send a message to the Opportunity team.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Had to send one. Sad day :/

"You inspired a father and two sons to look up at the sky with hope for the future.
    We'll come visit you one day"

• Options
    According to NASA, Opportunity’s last message was “My battery is low and it is getting dark.”

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    According to NASA, Opportunity’s last message was “My battery is low and it is getting dark.”

And there I go, crying for a robot. Thanks NASA.

In other space news, Ultima Thule is flat instead of round

New pics, new info! New Horizons scientists at @JHUAPL confirm the two sections (or “lobes”) of #UltimaThule are not spherical. The larger lobe more closely resembles a giant pancake and the smaller lobe is shaped like a dented walnut!

• Options
    Which is the one that desktop actually meant?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Which is the one that desktop actually meant?

https://xkcd.com/695/

arm yourself with gatorade

• Options

fffffffffffffffff

This discussion has been closed.