As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I didn't notice before, but their landing zone is quite far south. I think 70 degrees from the equator makes a record.

I wonder if that's why the weird transit. The "normal" method is only good if you can land close to the same orbital plane you're launching in, and it's really bad for anything close to polar like that. Maybe they're doing something similar to what Juno did to capture directly into a polar orbit.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 has me kinda bummed out we haven't done more since then. Where's our damn moon base?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 has me kinda bummed out we haven't done more since then. Where's our damn moon base?

In Saudi Arabia based on where NASA's budget went.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Curry on the moon.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

In the late 70s Wisconsin Senator William Proxmire, fiscal conservative and he of the Golden Fleece award, saw a 60 minutes piece on space colonization and had a massive tirade over it and lead a crusade to slash NASA’s budget because he thought it was sci-fi nonsense.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also we massively slashed the tax revenue that made things like "build a Space Flight program from scratch" financially possible.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Lost to politics mostly. The way things are currently, the only way for NASA to get any funding at all for an Apollo scale major spaceflight project is to run it in a pretty terrible way.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Also that’s not a joke about Proxmire; he literally slashed NASA’s budget because he thought they were wasting taxpayer money on fantasy nonsense

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oh, hey. Let's not have an escape plan if the planet goes bad.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Lost to politics mostly. The way things are currently, the only way for NASA to get any funding at all for an Apollo scale major spaceflight project is to run it in a pretty terrible way.

Yeah, if you want to feel bad read just about anything on the development of the SLS.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yeah, if you want to feel bad read just about anything on the development of the SLS.

By using existing technology we'll save time and keep costs down :rotate:

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Is "perpetually kicking the can down the street" technology?

At this point I'll believe the thing's actually going to fly sometime around its fourth successful launch...

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/25/watch-spacex-starship-prototype-rocket-test.html

Starhopper test ended in fire. The engines fired but the rocket didn't move and fire erupted from the top. looks a lot more intentional and less impressive than the fire ast week, but the reason for an abort hasn't been released.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They’re seriously intending to fly that thing made of sheet metal and two by fours? I don’t get what the purpose of it is supposed to be.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Looks like they put the engine in upside down. :razz:

Or shifted into reverse.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Starhopper isn't much more than a frame to test the engine system on, a lot like their older hopper that tested the booster recovery system. The actual Starship isn't going to have a wooden frame... but it apparently IS going to have a stainless steel skin for little reason except OOH SHINY SHINY.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Starhopper isn't much more than a frame to test the engine system on, a lot like their older hopper that tested the booster recovery system. The actual Starship isn't going to have a wooden frame... but it apparently IS going to have a stainless steel skin for little reason except OOH SHINY SHINY.

I think they had a couple of reasons. IIRC, if you keep the steel cold enough, it has equivalent or greater performance than what they use for the Falcon 9, and there was talk of having a system where you would pump liquid through small holes in the skin during decent to take the brunt of the re-entry heat.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I think they had a couple of reasons. IIRC, if you keep the steel cold enough, it has equivalent or greater performance than what they use for the Falcon 9, and there was talk of having a system where you would pump liquid through small holes in the skin during decent to take the brunt of the re-entry heat.

Yeah, at the temperature that the tanks have to be cooled to, stainless is actually competitive to carbon fiber and costs a fraction as much to use.

I can't find the source at the moment but I'll look for it when I get home.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Speaking of wood and spaceships...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxYP9fLMmk

• Options
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/25/watch-spacex-starship-prototype-rocket-test.html

Starhopper test ended in fire. The engines fired but the rocket didn't move and fire erupted from the top. looks a lot more intentional and less impressive than the fire ast week, but the reason for an abort hasn't been released.

Apparently chamber pressure showed higher than expected on startup, probably due to propellants being colder than expected, so it auto-aborted.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    The water tower has flown, plus some other things have happened.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCMpd7-Cp24

It's amazing Pegasus costs about the same as a Falcon 9 launch for 1/50 the payload. And it's cool that Russia is launching a science mission.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    1/50, or 50x?

• Options
    Pegasus payload is under 500 pounds.

• Options
    Okay, thanks. I was confused about a few things and have now done the googling to educate myself.

• Options
    Someone strung together a lot of Rosetta photos to make this:

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Someone strung together a lot of Rosetta photos to make this:

Holy crap! I am into this.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's all fun and games until some hideous monster from beyond the stars use the lander as a free taxi ride to Earth.

THE 1950'S WARNED US.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Dac wrote: »

Yeah, at the temperature that the tanks have to be cooled to, stainless is actually competitive to carbon fiber and costs a fraction as much to use.

I'm sure there's other ones, but there's this Popular Mechanics article. It's probably from early 2019, since it references a January 2019 tweet.
    Elon Musk wrote:
    Most steels, as you get to cryogenic temperatures, they become very brittle. You’ve seen the trick with liquid nitrogen on typical carbon steel: You spray liquid nitrogen, you can hit it with a hammer, it shatters like glass. That’s true of most steels, but not of stainless steel that has a high chrome-nickel content. That actually increases in strength, and ductility is still very high. So you have, like, 12 to 18 percent ductility at, say, minus 330 degrees Fahrenheit. Very ductile, very tough. No fracture issues.
    See, here’s the other benefit of steel: It has a high melting point. Much higher than aluminum, and although carbon fiber doesn’t melt, the resin gets destroyed at a certain temperature. So typically aluminum or carbon fiber, for a steady-state operating temperature, you’re really limited to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s not that high. You can take little brief excursions above that, maybe 350. Four hundred, you’re really pushing it. It weakens. And there are some carbon fibers that can take 400 degrees Fahrenheit, but then you have strength knockdowns.

But steel, you can do 1500, 1600 degrees Fahrenheit.
    On the windward side, what I want to do is have the first-ever regenerative heat shield. A double-walled stainless shell—like a stainless-steel sandwich, essentially, with two layers. You just need, essentially, two layers that are joined with stringers. You flow either fuel or water in between the sandwich layer, and then you have micro-perforations on the outside—very tiny perforations—and you essentially bleed water, or you could bleed fuel, through the micro-perforations on the outside. You wouldn’t see them unless you got up close. But you use transpiration cooling to cool the windward side of the rocket.
    The carbon fiber is $135 a kilogram, 35 percent scrap, so you’re starting to approach almost $200 a kilogram. The steel is $3 a kilogram.

President Rex on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I had no idea the price difference was that huge. Also had no idea you could make steel that compatible with cryogenic temperatures, though I'm no materials scientists. Pretty amazing how versatile iron is when you know juuuuust the right amounts and types of impurities to add.

As for the regenerative heat shield idea, that's pretty interesting. You still have to carry the mass of the coolant, but you preserve the heat shield vessel itself. Is that really a possibility, though? I thought reentry heat was high enough that you're generating outright plasma and the particle energy is high enough to ablate whatever it hits, no matter how cold? Maybe with a low-angle lower-temp reentry?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The particles indeed do ablate whatever they contact. But because theyre contacting water the steel behind the water doesn’t ablate.

At least that is the idea.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ablation is not necessary. Shuttle managed fine without ablative protection. You just need to be able to dump/handle the heat you aren't losing through the ablated material.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The particles indeed do ablate whatever they contact. But because theyre contacting water the steel behind the water doesn’t ablate.

My first thought was that the system they were describing would indeed form a steam barrier between the hull and atmosphere, but I don't think that's the case. It seems to me like the system being described is purely for dumping heat and the outgassing material is just to carry that heat away. I could be wrong, though, and steam can put out quite a lot of force at high enough heat. Enough force to form a vapor barrier between a hull and atmosphere during reentry? No idea.
    Ablation is not necessary. Shuttle managed fine without ablative protection. You just need to be able to dump/handle the heat you aren't losing through the ablated material.

Yeah, I was thinking about the shuttle heat tiles and couldn't remember if they're in any way ablative or not. I just remember that they're insanely heat resistant, but even a disposable ablative shield would want high heat resistance. In the interest of cost savings, I guess they could just use a steel variant with a higher melting point for the heat shield and then apply this system to it, as opposed to something like the shuttle's pricey heat tiles.

I'd wonder if there would be any weight saving as well, or if it just ends up being a wash. The coolant ends up being the mass you lose, but you'd need the steel hull and pumps and none of that is low-mass.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

I'm sure there's other ones, but there's this Popular Mechanics article. It's probably from early 2019, since it references a January 2019 tweet.
    Elon Musk wrote:
    Most steels, as you get to cryogenic temperatures, they become very brittle. You’ve seen the trick with liquid nitrogen on typical carbon steel: You spray liquid nitrogen, you can hit it with a hammer, it shatters like glass. That’s true of most steels, but not of stainless steel that has a high chrome-nickel content. That actually increases in strength, and ductility is still very high. So you have, like, 12 to 18 percent ductility at, say, minus 330 degrees Fahrenheit. Very ductile, very tough. No fracture issues.
    See, here’s the other benefit of steel: It has a high melting point. Much higher than aluminum, and although carbon fiber doesn’t melt, the resin gets destroyed at a certain temperature. So typically aluminum or carbon fiber, for a steady-state operating temperature, you’re really limited to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s not that high. You can take little brief excursions above that, maybe 350. Four hundred, you’re really pushing it. It weakens. And there are some carbon fibers that can take 400 degrees Fahrenheit, but then you have strength knockdowns.

But steel, you can do 1500, 1600 degrees Fahrenheit.
    On the windward side, what I want to do is have the first-ever regenerative heat shield. A double-walled stainless shell—like a stainless-steel sandwich, essentially, with two layers. You just need, essentially, two layers that are joined with stringers. You flow either fuel or water in between the sandwich layer, and then you have micro-perforations on the outside—very tiny perforations—and you essentially bleed water, or you could bleed fuel, through the micro-perforations on the outside. You wouldn’t see them unless you got up close. But you use transpiration cooling to cool the windward side of the rocket.
    The carbon fiber is $135 a kilogram, 35 percent scrap, so you’re starting to approach almost $200 a kilogram. The steel is $3 a kilogram.

Thank you for finding that, lol. Looks like I completely forgot to follow up.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

My first thought was that the system they were describing would indeed form a steam barrier between the hull and atmosphere, but I don't think that's the case. It seems to me like the system being described is purely for dumping heat and the outgassing material is just to carry that heat away. I could be wrong, though, and steam can put out quite a lot of force at high enough heat. Enough force to form a vapor barrier between a hull and atmosphere during reentry? No idea.

Yeah, I was thinking about the shuttle heat tiles and couldn't remember if they're in any way ablative or not. I just remember that they're insanely heat resistant, but even a disposable ablative shield would want high heat resistance. In the interest of cost savings, I guess they could just use a steel variant with a higher melting point for the heat shield and then apply this system to it, as opposed to something like the shuttle's pricey heat tiles.

I'd wonder if there would be any weight saving as well, or if it just ends up being a wash. The coolant ends up being the mass you lose, but you'd need the steel hull and pumps and none of that is low-mass.

Depending on how long the BFR will be in space, you are going to need water anyways, might as well use the grey water to pump through the skin.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love that our biggest and most advanced rocket will be like, "yeah we made it out of steel and cool it with water."

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Depending on how long the BFR will be in space, you are going to need water anyways, might as well use the grey water to pump through the skin.

I'm looking forward to the first pee-cooled starship.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I love that our biggest and most advanced rocket will be like, "yeah we made it out of steel and cool it with water."

I have previously referred to Virgin's SpaceShipTwo, which burns HTPB-infused rubber and nitrous oxide, as "the world's first suborbital tire fire."

This discussion has been closed.