As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love the term Lithobraking. just FYI.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Does lithobraking mean crash?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Slowing down with style

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    And crashing, yes

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love the term Lithobraking. just FYI.

It makes me want to shove these nerds in lockers.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

No, it does not mean crashing, it means using the ground to stop.

There's a difference.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

No, it does not mean crashing, it means using the ground to stop.

There's a difference.

Catastrophic or unscheduled lithobraking means crashing.

The three pre-Curiosity Mars rovers used intentional lithobraking as the last step of their deceleration, inflating a bunch of air bags and bouncing to a stop. I think Beagle II did this unsuccessfully as well.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I believe Isaac Arthur, youtube futurist, did a space elevator episode, and if carbon nanotubes turn out to have the kind of tensile strength that the scientific papers think it might, a space elevator would be doable.

But it's also, like. If you're going to do that, build a launch loop or something.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    His channel's great. He hit five years' worth of weekly episodes this week.

I enjoy the sense of scope and scale in some of his series; he's basically got me convinced that on timescales-of-stuff-to-do-in-the-universe we're still basically right in the middle of the first instants of the Big Bang.

But yeah, he has a whole series on his channel that's just looking into different ways to get out of gravity wells.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Apparently there's new info out there about Starship, and at least for now it has lost a fin and gone down to two.

Not sure how it's supposed to land like that, but I imagine we'll find out?

Dac on
  • Options
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Space flier is certainly an interesting term.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    He'll only be there for 8 days. Technically a tourist, so, yeah.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Space flier is certainly an interesting term.

The term I saw on Twitter was “spaceflight participant” which is certainly a true thing but oddly nonspecific.
    I figured someone was paying for him to be there from that, but who?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I guess I figured it was just someone awkwardly translating whatever the Arabic term for astronaut would be.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    So Elon had his presentation.

https://youtu.be/wRF41f7hPWE

I'm really excited to see this thing fly.

That lower stage is nuts. 37 raptor engines? Yeesh.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm heartened by the fact that someone can be a big-name industry-changing CEO while managing to, somehow, be a worse public speaker than I am. It gives me hope!

I didn't think the cost differences from switching to that variety of steel were going to be as enormous as mentioned in that talk though. Wow.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    If this thing works its going to be fun watching science fiction pivot how CG spaceships look over the next couple of years.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If this thing works its going to be fun watching science fiction pivot how CG spaceships look over the next couple of years.

Reality is just finally catching up with 1950s sci fi illustrations.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

The first stage of the USSR's N-1 had 30 engines. It was an impressive piece of engineering but was mostly useful for demonstrating the ruggedness of the various components when they went looking for the cause of its four launch failures.

37 engines makes for a lot of points of failure.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I'm a bit disappointed by how PR oriented and low on new details the presentation was, but the new raptor test video and render of what the full stack on the elevated pad will(may) look like was real neat. The sheer size of the thing gives it a surreal qaulity.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The first stage of the USSR's N-1 had 30 engines. It was an impressive piece of engineering but was mostly useful for demonstrating the ruggedness of the various components when they went looking for the cause of its four launch failures.

37 engines makes for a lot of points of failure.

Starship will blow up once or twice. It's nearly certain. It will be spectacular and I hope no one gets hurt. Rocket science is hard.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Somewhere the original designer of the old buck rodgers shows is pumping his fist and going see I told you this was what the future looked like.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm heartened by the fact that someone can be a big-name industry-changing CEO while managing to, somehow, be a worse public speaker than I am. It gives me hope!

I didn't think the cost differences from switching to that variety of steel were going to be as enormous as mentioned in that talk though. Wow.

What did he say the savings would be?

• Options
    Carbon composite is like $200 per kilogram.

Stainless steel is like $3.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Somewhere the original designer of the old buck rodgers shows is pumping his fist and going see I told you this was what the future looked like.

It also opens the door for a future humanity to be freed via impaling merciless rulers on the ends of pointy-tipped rocket ships.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Carbon composite is like $200 per kilogram.

Stainless steel is like $3.

Steel also means they can probably get by with non-ablative heat shields. It's much better at both cryogenic prelaunch and high re-entry temperatures.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I kinda love that it will land via "belly flop," or at least start that way. It's very much like a skydiver using their legs to steer.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    General Alexey Arkhipovich Leonov passed away at the age of 85. Twice awarded Hero of the USSR and son of a family targeted by the purges at the height of the pre-war Terror, he was one of the first group of cosmonauts, and in 1965 had a number of harrowing close shaves during Voshkod 2 (with Pavel Belyayev) where he performed the first spacewalk. Leonov was intended to command a mission to Salyut 1 in 1971, but the loss of the Soyuz 11 crew, and the problems with the later Salyut space stations, delayed his second space flight until the Apollo-Soyuz in 1975. Afterwards he served as commander of the cosmonaut section, overseeing training and the cosmonaut newspaper, until his retirement in 1992 after the dissolution of the USSR.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *bows head*

• Options
    The first man to truly experience the breath-taking, humbling, life-changing awe of the overview effect. RIP.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I have to say, not knowing anything about his life before now, that I respect Alexey Leonov more having read his capsule biography above, than when I read (and eventually also saw) 2010 in, I want to say middle school?, and thought “wow, Clarke named the successor to Discovery after this dude, he must be a serious badass.”
    RIP indeed.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Huh, I had no idea that lithium ion batteries were viable for use in space. That's pretty neat! I wonder what kind of efficiencies and lifespan they get, then, assuming they stay fairly cold and don't get superheated by sunlight or something?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Huh, I had no idea that lithium ion batteries were viable for use in space. That's pretty neat! I wonder what kind of efficiencies and lifespan they get, then, assuming they stay fairly cold and don't get superheated by sunlight or something?

I was surprised by this too when I found out they were using li-ion batteries on that flying mars drone project. It turns out as long as you manage the charge and discharge rate in a very insulating near or total vacuum and shield them from the sun, the batteries will stay within their operating temperature.

Seal on
  • Options
    InSight's drill got stuck earlier this year, which would have severely stunted it's ability to carry out the geophysics experiments that it was sent to Mars to do.

But... Good news!:

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    InSight's drill got stuck earlier this year, which would have severely stunted it's ability to carry out the geophysics experiments that it was sent to Mars to do.

But... Good news!:

Man, I keep expecting that they would have started getting that data back by now. What has it been doing so far?

• Options
    edited October 2019
This discussion has been closed.