As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 2018 Winter Olympic Games live from PyeongChang South Korea! Spoiler results

bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
2zA8JEJ.gif

TIME TILL OPENING CEREMONIES

bla_1518174000.png

Its that wonderful time again where the best of the best compete on the world stage for gold medal glory.

This year the games are coming to us from live from PyeongChang South Korea which is approximately 180 km (110 mi) east southeast of Seoul

Without further ado lets start with this year olympic venues

Alpensia Sports Park
The Alpensia Resort in Daegwallyeong-myeon will be the focus of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
we9nful.jpg
J2HhTEz.jpg

Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium – Ceremonies
Alpensia Ski Jumping Centre – Ski jumping, Nordic combined
Alpensia Biathlon Centre – Biathlon
Alpensia Cross-Country Centre – Cross-country skiing, Nordic combined
Alpensia Sliding Centre – Luge, bobsleigh, and skeleton
Olympic Village
Yongpyong Alpine Centre – Alpine skiing (slalom, giant slalom)

Stand-alone venues
Bokwang Snow Park – Freestyle skiing and snowboard
vWEidrR.jpg

Jeongseon Alpine Centre – Alpine skiing (downhill, super-G, and combined)
yongpyong_pyeongchang.jpg

Gangneung coastal cluster
The coastal cluster is located in the city of Gangneung. The Gangneung Olympic Park will include the following four venues:
si372PJ.jpg

Gangneung Hockey Centre – Ice hockey (men´s tournament)
Gangneung Curling Centre – Curling
Gangneung Oval - Speed skating
Gangneung Ice Arena – Short-track speed skating and figure skating

Kwandong University:
Kwandong Hockey Centre - Ice Hockey (women´s tournament)

Now with the venues out of the way lets talk about how to watch.

If you live in Canada you are set, The CBC does daily live shows of all the events and also streams EVERY event live online using the IOC direct feeds sometimes with commentary or without.

If you live in the US traditionally you are stuck with NBC's terrible coverage.

If you live in the UK the BBC also does a pretty good set of coverage I am to believe.

Now if you want to watch and arent in Canada or the UK I can't stress enough that you find yourself a VPN to get access to the CBC feeds. If there is one thing CBC does right it's the Olympics.

Scheudle

GjLmH47.png

So It Goes on

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    As a Brit winter sports have never had the same level of cultural penetration of the Summer games, so I have even less idea of what's going on than in rhythmic gymnastics.

For a novice, what are some good events to keep an eye out for and follow?

Anarchy Rules! on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I fear ice hockey is going to suck because apparently the Olympics are in a tiff with the NHL so it's all going to be scrubs instead of the best in the world.

Anarchy Rules! It's hard to say what you might be into. Anything with someone hurtling down a snowy mountain at dangerous speeds is a good bet, lots of people enjoy curling, and figure skating is quite pretty if you're into that sort of thing.

As a Brit you are culturally obligated to watch ski jumping because of Eddie the Eagle.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    As a Brit winter sports have never had the same level of cultural penetration of the Summer games, so I have even less idea of what's going on than in rhythmic gymnastics.

For a novice, what are some good events to keep an eye out for and follow?

For us, Curling, Skeleton Bob and some of the Snowboarding events are our best chances, I really like the alpine skiing, especially the downhill slalom, the speeds those folk reach are crazy. If you are a fan of track cycling from the summer games, check out speed skating, there is a lot of similarity there.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I hope i can catch some curling but that's normally covered while people are at work.

I'll probably end up watching figure skating and pretty much anything where folks strap themselves to boards and launch themselves down a hill at high speeds.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I hope i can catch some curling but that's normally covered while people are at work.

I'll probably end up watching figure skating and pretty much anything where folks strap themselves to boards and launch themselves down a hill at high speeds.

Not really since the games are in Korea and they are 14-17 hours ahead (depends in the US where you are. The day starts early afternoon/supper time

here is the schedule that will sync to your PCs time and curling starts prelims tommorow

https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018/results/en/curling/daily-schedule.htm

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Not really since the games are in Korea and they are 14-17 hours ahead (depends in the US where you are. The day starts early afternoon/supper time

here is the schedule that will sync to your PCs time and curling starts prelims tommorow

I more meant when they actually televise it, the only stuff they generally show at prime time here are figure skating and downhill events.

Sleep on

I more meant when they actually televise it, the only stuff they generally show at prime time here are figure skating and downhill events.

GET A VPN and stream it live

please for the love of god

me when someone says they are going to watch NBC's coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I think they are showing more sports in prime time thanks to them using the several channels in the NBC Universal arsenal.

They have the US/Switzerland mixed doubles curing scheduled for 7pm tomorrow on NBCSN.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    The Winter Olympics are Canada’s time to shine, especially now that Russia is kinda disqualified.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    The Winter Olympics are Canada’s time to shine, especially now that Russia is kinda disqualified.

CBC was saying something like 23 golds at one point

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    CANADA CANADA CANADA!

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

168 notRussians are showing up. They had 177 in Vancouver. Ridiculous.

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I love the Olympics.
    I need to figure out a good way to watch all the downhill skiing and speed skating because i'm a sucker for a good race,

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's going to be a little harder for the Russians to cheat when they can't drill into the lab and switch the samples.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for biathlon and curling. Biathlon especially, because of how difficult it is to ski a cross country race while managing your heart rate well enough to shoot accurately.

NPR did a nice article on this year's US biathlon team: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2018/02/05/581844258/with-few-fans-and-little-funding-u-s-biathlon-team-hopes-for-first-olympic-medal

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm glad I clicked into here for the CBC/VPN reccomendation. It's always so tough to find decent coverage of the curling on NBC.
    Half the time if I record a block of time on the schedule it ends up being something else when I go to watch it.

CURLING! With new rules! Because I barely only got around to understanding all the old rules/strategies! Whoo!!

Canada down 3-1 though :sad:

New rules? What the hell!?!

hawkbox wrote: »
    New rules? What the hell!?!

For Mixed Doubles. I think the standard curling tournaments are still using traditional rules.

Also, lol CBC commentators chatting about the dynamics of dating and marriage on mixed curling teams.

Oh, well I couldn't really care less about mixed gender curling. But don't you dare mess with the foundations! How will I watch Men With Brooms if I know the rules they play by are a farce?! Also, considering how much sex happens at the olympics I have to imagine some of those curling teams are hot sweaty orgies. Or I intend to imagine it anyway.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    NBC's website doesn't appear to be rage inducing hot garbage this go round.

USA Curling
    I was very impressed with the USA team's performance just now. They made it look easy and still as entertaining as it ever was.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please spoiler results since many folks will be watching stuff on tape delay

Is starting with two stones on the ice a new thing for curling? Or is it just depending on two person or four person team?

edited February 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Is starting with two stones on the ice a new thing for curling? Or is it just depending on two person or four person team?

Apparently just for Mixed Doubles curling. 4-person curling remains unchanged.

CBC explainer: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/mixed-doubles-curling-explainer-1.4060587

hippofant on
    Heads up there is more curling prelims starting soon

bla_1518087900.png

and Ski Jump qualifiers on the small ramp

bla_1518093000.png

edited February 2018
    None of the CBC streams will work for me :(

Edit: nm I had a setting wrong!

So It Goes on
    Anyway some figure skating coming up! As well as curling and moguls

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    No Peter Mansbridge has me sad

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    So Russian athletes are all up ins depsite the whole scandal?

Hm

Yeah, there's still a ton of Russians. But as is their preference, they just don't wear a flag on their uniform.

Not sure if there's any difference in support staff

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So Russian athletes are all up ins depsite the whole scandal?

Hm
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeah, there's still a ton of Russians. But as is their preference, they just don't wear a flag on their uniform.

Not sure if there's any difference in support staff

If RUSSIA isn't here, how are the OLYMPIC ATHLETES FROM RUSSIA fielding a team in figure skating?

This doesn't even make sense! What a crock.

Like, there's going to be a totally not Russia team in fucking Ice Hockey

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Ugh stream plz stay hd

KetBra wrote: »
    Like, there's going to be a totally not Russia team in fucking Ice Hockey

At least in hockey, there's no way to compete other than as a team. That is, if hockey players appealed to the IOC to be allowed to compete because they were clean, well this was the only way to do it at all. It's still BS, but I get that single hockey players can't compete.

For figure skating, the individual athletes who won their appeal with the IOC could still compete in individual competitions. So now they're just letting a not-country assemble a team of individual athletes together for another event. Well shit, why don't we let all countries just pool together athletes then?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    WHY DO I LOVE CURLING SO MUCH?!

I didn't know there was a doubles curling. I'm watching a US couple (I think, hubby & wife?) against the Swiss. It's great.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    WHY DO I LOVE CURLING SO MUCH?!

I didn't know there was a doubles curling. I'm watching a US couple (I think, hubby & wife?) against the Swiss. It's great.

Because curling is rad! It's bocce with cool physics and materials science. What's not to love?

The US mixed doubles team is brother-sister, which is also pretty cool.

Tynnan on
    edited February 2018
    Okay, seeing how happy and supportive the South Korean skating team is for each other is hella awesome.

Edit: All right, after lauding the CBC coverage earlier in this thread, I'm a little :redface: over some of the glitches I'm seeing.

hippofant on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Down goes the German skater and the Israeli team was like mmm hmmm

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I'm a little amazed that skaters still have so much trouble with quads. I mean, not that quads aren't hard, but I kinda expected them to go the way of double combinations and triples, previously thought impossible but rapidly broken by a new generation of skaters. Maybe quads really are the true limit of figure skating jumps.