As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Did a quick search and see if this works: disable "Bluetooth Scanning" Under "Settings->Security & Location->Location->Scanning"

You can also disable Wifi scanning if that's giving you issues too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thank you, I checked that setting and it is already disabled.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Ah bummer. It's likely a rogue app or some kind of battery optimization. It looks to be a common problem if reddit and other Motorola forums are anything to go by. Some people had luck with disabling or uninstalling every app until they found the one that was causing the issue. There were also suggestions about starting in Safe Mode and repairing your bluetooth devices in that mode.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Any Pixel 3 friends here having issues with the screen flashing bright white or green when transitioning to or from the lock screen? I don't have the problem but my wife has it happen on her phone all the time. Google tech support is having her monitor usage in safe mode to see if it's a hardware or software issue but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I get it but it's only momentary so I just live with it

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My wife's Note 9 just got the Pie update. My Note 8 got some random tiny update. Bleh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    just got Android 9 on my Note 9.

It's.... fine? couple new UI things I don't love, couple new UI things I love.

It's.... fine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bit the bullet with the Pixel 3 XL 128 GB version. To clarify for anyone else thinking of jumping into this, it comes easily activated with your SIM Card, it comes with a USB-C to auxillary audio jack adapter as well.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I really like my Pixel 3 XL, its quick, its screen is fantastic, and I think it has a better form factor than my Note 8.

I do think notifications are really quiet though, I basically never hear them if I'm in a room with any sort of noise which is a bit problematic. Its really Skype and Outlook notifications I miss, but seeing as this is my work phone those notifications are pretty important. Oddly, the ringtone is really loud. I'm using the headphones the phone came with though so maybe its different if you dont?

• Options
    The notch is taking some getting used to. Really enjoying the extra space since the notifications are split at the top.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If it hadn't been for the notch I probably would have upgraded my Pixel 1 to a Pixel 3. Ugly nonsense. The notch alone is the reason I started shopping around and found the much more attractive OnePlus 6T.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I thought the notch was annoying at first but now I don't even notice it

You can also set the screen to block out the edges of the notch

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I thought the notch was annoying at first but now I don't even notice it

You can also set the screen to block out the edges of the notch

Does that still shift the whole UI down for Pixel? On all other Android phones with notches, blacking out the notch means the notifications stay there but the background is always black so that it's not as distracting, whereas on a Pixel (at least unless they changed it) the notifications get pushed down too.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Nacho Notch. Keeps the notifications up there while it blacks it out. Not exactly perfect in some situations, but it works.

I don't really mind the notch so much any more. Well, except for a couple of games where it puts a medium gray background up there and I kinda distracting. Or the other game that lets the wallpaper peek through the notch.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    No edit button anymore? Or maybe this browser doesn't show it. Anyway, here's examples of what I'm talking about.
    n41kbla4834b.jpg
    bi3356sm5kdl.jpg

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    No edit button anymore? Or maybe this browser doesn't show it. Anyway, here's examples of what I'm talking about.
    n41kbla4834b.jpg
    bi3356sm5kdl.jpg

I dont think the grey would really bother me, but that background nonsense would make me want to throw the phone.

As it is, I dont really notice the notch which kind of surprised me since before buying the phone I thought it was ridiculous and too large.

• Options
    Nacho Notch. Keeps the notifications up there while it blacks it out. Not exactly perfect in some situations, but it works.

It's good that there's a solution, but having to download an app to make the notch work the way most other android phone notches work by default is still a point against the phone for me.

IDK I'm trying not to be partisan but really from everything I've seen the Pixel 3 has absolutely no justification for purchase unless you really specifically love the really good camera, because the OnePlus does everything else just as well or better while being half the price.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It's good that there's a solution, but having to download an app to make the notch work the way most other android phone notches work by default is still a point against the phone for me.

IDK I'm trying not to be partisan but really from everything I've seen the Pixel 3 has absolutely no justification for purchase unless you really specifically love the really good camera, because the OnePlus does everything else just as well or better while being half the price.

I mean, you're not wrong. I like my Pixel 3, but I absolutely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    So far I like the pixel XL 3? Seems really fast, I like being able to strip any and all apps I don't want off of it, and well the camera is bananas.

It's also really quick to open unlike reviews had said?

• Options
    There's something specific about the camera opening. Maybe when you're opening it from the lock screen that it gets slow?

• Options
    My Pixel 1 XL turned out to be too wide just enough that swipe typing with one hand was annoying. My Pixel 3 (non-XL) is the perfect width and size. It turns out I really missed the smaller form factor. Also it doesn't have a notch.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I know this isn't as nice as having the phone be the right width to begin with, but GBoard now comes standard with an option to shrink the on-screen keyboard and make it left- or right-aligned. So, if you're holding the phone in your left hand, you can make the keyboard as wide as your left thumb can reach, and make the keyboard stick to the left edge of the phone.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Also it doesn't have a notch.

Yeah, it does. Just that the notch goes all the way across the top of the phone.

bim5idurrzkm.png

I'm not a fan of crediting a phone for being without a notch when it's got a thick bezel at the top of the phone, because a notched phone with the notch disabled looks exactly the same as a phone with a bezel.

Sorry, don't mean to leap on you, it's just something that bothers me every time I see tech reviewers and tech blogs gush praise on a phone for "avoiding the notch trend". They didn't avoid it, they just shipped you a phone with the notch setting disabled by default except you don't get to put any notifications up there. Notches are strictly superior to bezelled tops, in every way, because if you don't mind the irregular shape you get a ton of extra screen space, and if you do mind it, you can disable it and just use the space for blacked out notifications. Either way, better.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Hey no worries. I understand the technicality. It just looks like all my previous phones so I don't have an issue with it. I've also been fairly bezel-agnostic in general.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Also it doesn't have a notch.

Yeah, it does. Just that the notch goes all the way across the top of the phone.

bim5idurrzkm.png

I'm not a fan of crediting a phone for being without a notch when it's got a thick bezel at the top of the phone, because a notched phone with the notch disabled looks exactly the same as a phone with a bezel.

Sorry, don't mean to leap on you, it's just something that bothers me every time I see tech reviewers and tech blogs gush praise on a phone for "avoiding the notch trend". They didn't avoid it, they just shipped you a phone with the notch setting disabled by default except you don't get to put any notifications up there. Notches are strictly superior to bezelled tops, in every way, because if you don't mind the irregular shape you get a ton of extra screen space, and if you do mind it, you can disable it and just use the space for blacked out notifications. Either way, better.

Notches can't be objectively better since people evaluate their phone in a subjective basis.I think the notch looks dumb, and no cutting the screen to black is not the same as not having it, it is still noticable. Hopefully Samsung continues to make phones without a notch and with a headphone jack.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    What actually needs to happen is phone makers need to start making phones without front cameras at all. I can't even remember the last time I used mine. Why is there no market out there for people who don't want a phone with weird workarounds to front cameras, but would just prefer a phone without one at all.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What actually needs to happen is phone makers need to start making phones without front cameras at all. I can't even remember the last time I used mine. Why is there no market out there for people who don't want a phone with weird workarounds to front cameras, but would just prefer a phone without one at all.

I would guess that a vast majority of people do use the front camera for video chatting. Therefore the phones are designed for broadest appeal.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I would guess that a vast majority of people do use the front camera for video chatting. Therefore the phones are designed for broadest appeal.

I think you're overestimating the amount of people who video chat. Or I'm just not exposed to them. I don't know a single person who uses video chat on their phone ever, and most of the people I know do not do selfies.

Regardless, how niche it is shouldn't really matter - there are niche products for all sorts of odd customer needs, I would have thought someone would fulfil this particular need.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Regardless of how many people use video chat - that might be interesting to find out, actually - the selfie is a rather big thing even if most of the people you know don't do them. And here's my generalisation - people just don't take selfies with the back camera. I would guesstimate that fewer than 0.1% of selfies are taken with the rear cam, despite them invariably being better cameras.

Take the front camera off entirely and there are a lot of customers who will not want your phone. And another lot who might buy one before only then discovering it has no selfie camera, and they will do the internet howling rage thing and subsequently not buy your next phone regardless of if you put it back.

It makes zero sense to get rid of, which is why there's all these convoluted "solutions" going on, since the great groupthink decided that bezels were bad, to still incorporate a selfie camera while trying to cover the entire front of the phone with screen. Notches, hole punches... I bet the idea of managing to get the selfie camera behind the display without compromising the display in any way is a goddamn holy grail amongst phone designers these days.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Of course nobody takes selfies with the back camera. I did not suggest people would take selfies with the back camera, I suggested there is a not-insignificant chunk of people who just do not take selfies.

We make phones for all kinds of niche segments of the market, the niche of people who don't use front cameras ever, and who would rather have a phone that didn't make tradeoffs for the front camera, is larger than many niches for features that DO appear on phones.

I'd be willing to argue that the niche of people who never use phone front cameras is larger than the group of people who use the Note pens.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Of course nobody takes selfies with the back camera. I did not suggest people would take selfies with the back camera, I suggested there is a not-insignificant chunk of people who just do not take selfies.

We make phones for all kinds of niche segments of the market, the niche of people who don't use front cameras ever, and who would rather have a phone that didn't make tradeoffs for the front camera, is larger than many niches for features that DO appear on phones.

I'd be willing to argue that the niche of people who never use phone front cameras is larger than the group of people who use the Note pens.

Other than the note pens, what other niche products are you thinking of?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I see people using front facing cameras more than the back these days

Maybe they should have a phone with a screen on both sides, but just one cam

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I see people using front facing cameras more than the back these days

Maybe they should have a phone with a screen on both sides, but just one cam

https://m.gsmarena.com/vivo_nex_dual_display-review-1878.php

But as a 38yo man, I can unequivocally say...

I love selfies.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    I hate selfies, but I use the front cam pretty regularly to Skype with my parents.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't take selfies or video chat, but I use the front camera to look at myself like a mirror sometimes.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't take selfies or video chat, but I use the front camera to look at myself like a mirror sometimes.

That's the only thing I use my laptop's webcam for as well, a digital mirror :lol:

Jazz on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't know a lot of people, but almost every one of them under 70 uses the front facing selfie camera far more often than the out facing camera

• Options

Oh yeah, I use the front facing camera on my with phone to look behind TVs all the time!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Oh yeah, I use the front facing camera on my with phone to look behind TVs all the time!

Remember what it used to be like doing that?

i-rFXcnK4.jpg

i-JvVDnSM.jpg

Edited for better quality and to add part 2.

Jazz on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Getting rid of the front facing camera is a guaranteed failure.