As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I can't offer you much, other than to recommend reading reviews at Android Central (I believe at least one of those phones was reviewed recently).

I do want to mention that LG Display is essentially a different company from LG Mobile; so the fact that LG panels are in the Pixel phones doesn't have any bearing on the build quality (or even the display quality) of the G7 or V35.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    My last 3 phones have been LG's, g5, v20, g6. They have all been terribly slow with security updates much less major updates. Would not recommend if that's a concern to you. Other than that they tend to offer similar features to samsungs latest for cheaper.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    My last 3 phones have been LG's, g5, v20, g6. They have all been terribly slow with security updates much less major updates. Would not recommend if that's a concern to you. Other than that they tend to offer similar features to samsungs latest for cheaper.

Does it depend on the carrier though? I have an LG G6 on TMo and I received a security patch for April 1st just last week . Still.... That's kinda late :razz: Almost 2 months late.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you want the fastest security updates, you might want to wait for the pixel 3 and see if it's good.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    LG phones seem to always have some fatal flaw..

Either metaphorically, in that something about the phone is severely lacking, or literally, in that they suddenly die.

I wouldn't recommend them

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A coworker of mine has had his LG replaced (two different models, mind you) like 5 times total because it would just randomly and totally brick itself.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    LG's skin is the second-worst among the big manufacturers, I think (hello, MIUI/EMUI). And they suck at updates if that bothers you. I'd get a Galaxy S9, Pixel 2 XL, or OnePlus 6 before an LG G7 unless it was a screaming hot deal.

• Options
    I know it's a vain hope, but what are the chances that the headphone jack makes a reappearance with the Pixel 3? Otherwise, the OG Pixel is probably my next upgrade for this 5X (which admittedly has started slowing down lately, and I'd prefer to move away from it since I'm only prolonging the inevitable bootloop).

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I know it's a vain hope, but what are the chances that the headphone jack makes a reappearance with the Pixel 3? Otherwise, the OG Pixel is probably my next upgrade for this 5X (which admittedly has started slowing down lately, and I'd prefer to move away from it since I'm only prolonging the inevitable bootloop).

I'd put the odds somwhere between "lolnope" and "you're funny for having that hope"

If you want a headphone jack, your choices at the high end are Samsung, LG (which has issues as explained above), and OnePlus.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I just picked up the S9 yesterday and love it compared to my S7.

I do have a question regarding the charge cable. The guy at the AT&T store was obviously trying to push his USB-C cables on me but then told me I needed Samsung cables to get maximum charge capabilities. I didn't totally understand his end game so I didn't buy any.

So I thought I'd come here and ask you guys: where should I go to get good cables that won't break my phone but still charge it. I have a Google usb-c charger for my switch, but I need a few extra (including one for my car).

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I just picked up the S9 yesterday and love it compared to my S7.

I do have a question regarding the charge cable. The guy at the AT&T store was obviously trying to push his USB-C cables on me but then told me I needed Samsung cables to get maximum charge capabilities. I didn't totally understand his end game so I didn't buy any.

So I thought I'd come here and ask you guys: where should I go to get good cables that won't break my phone but still charge it. I have a Google usb-c charger for my switch, but I need a few extra (including one for my car).

Anker for cables, always.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    So, ProjectFi is quoting me $95 turn-in for my 5X if I get a new phone through them. That seems to be on the high end.

Even though this phone spent its entire life in a case and with a tempered glass protector, what are the chances that Fi will honor that quote?

I don't need another device floating around the house and I'm guessing $95 is close to the max anyone will offer me for this ticking time bomb.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    the GS9 supports both Qualcomm quickcharge 2.0 (not 3.0 for whatever reason), as well as the 5V 3A profile of USB-PD.

At the end of the day any cable/charger combination that isn't complete garbage will charge the phone, but a Qualcomm Quickcharge charger or a proper USB-C charger will charge it at the fastest speeds. The biggest difference being the 0-70% charge time will be faster using quickcharge or USB power delivery.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So, ProjectFi is quoting me $95 turn-in for my 5X if I get a new phone through them. That seems to be on the high end.

Even though this phone spent its entire life in a case and with a tempered glass protector, what are the chances that Fi will honor that quote?

I don't need another device floating around the house and I'm guessing $95 is close to the max anyone will offer me for this ticking time bomb.

whatever you do send it in a protected coffin to them. they will take any chance to deny you the $95 they quoted you

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
  • Options
    So uh...

Does anyone have any Ebay stores they are comfortable with? I'm very close to picking up a Pixel XL today with the 20% off promo that Ebay is running all day.

I've seen a few decent prices for refurbs on a quick search at Ebay's site (all under $300; which is what I'm comfortable with for the time being).

Or I jump a generation and grab a Pixel 2 (non-XL). Thoughts?

• Options
    Oreo is finally for real rolling out to the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. So I think that now means that every 2017 phone that was going to get oreo will be on it. I.e. this should be it for phones that matter getting that version upgrade.

• Options
    My wife's 7 just got it. Samsung strangely removed the "unique notification sound" feature for theiressaging app, or they hid the option somewhere.

My wife used to have a separate sound for my texts and some family, and now it all sounds like default.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular

I might be late here, but they honored our $70 trade-ins of 5Xes just fine. We got our new phones first, took videos of our old phones powering down and powering on with them, then shut them down one last time and sent them in the pre-prepared packaging. Worked out just fine.

• Options
    I ended up grabbing a Pixel XL off eBay mostly because it was less than half price of a discounted Pixel 2 / XL. Apparently my wife wants to repurpose this phone into a wifi game/app device for our oldest.

That's good to know though! I still may need it in the future.

Did you post the vids on YT and link to them, or something?

• Options
    This is getting really frustrating. My phone won't let me set up "Ok Google".

I tap on the unlock switch for Voice Match but when it tells me to say "Ok Google" to get a voiceprint, it doesn't register that I said anything. It just sits there rotating like it's thinking. I don't know how to move forward. So instead, I have to hold down the home button while I'm driving.
    uvjyjvin3773.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Maybe try the regular Ok Google calibration first? Do you have an option to retrain?

• Options
    Does not appear so. I'm not even sure where the retrain option would be anymore.

I don't understand why Google can't import the settings from my old device when I set up my ID on the new one.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Purchased a Pixel 2 today, and it should be here by Friday. First new phone in almost four years.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    so for those of us in Canada, the UK, and a couple other countries, Youtube Music and Youtube Premium has launched.

Youtube Music replaces/is equivalent to/works along side of Google Play Music.

Youtube Premium replaces Youtube Red in markets where Youtube Red was available. In markets where youtube red wasn't available, like Canada, this is a new thing.

How pricing converts over becomes a bit of a mess, so here we go.

At the base, Youtube Music is a $10/month music streaming service. Youtube Premium is a $12/month service that includes Youtube Music, ad free Youtube, youtube's original shows, the ability to download videos to your phone/tablet for offline playback, background listening on youtube videos on mobile, and picture in picture support for youtube on Android devices running 8.0+. Family plans for Youtube Music are $15/month and for Youtube Premium are $18/month.

Just to be clear here, You do not have to pay $10/month for Youtube Music and also $12/month for Youtube Premium. Paying $12/month for Youtube Premium also gets you access to Youtube Music. so this makes Youtube Premium essentially a $2 addon to Youtube Music. You cannot get Youtube Premium without Youtube Music.

If you were in a market that had Youtube Red, and you were a Play Music/Youtube Red Subscriber (buying one got you the other), you get Youtube Premium for the same price you were paying for Play Music/Red, which was generally $10/month, so you're saving $2.

If you were in a market that did not have Youtube Red, your Play Music subscription gets you a subscription to Youtube Music for the same price you were paying for Play Music. You do not get Youtube Premium.

For now, subscribing to either Youtube Music or Youtube Premium gives you access to Google Play music. Google has to do this becuase, frankly, the Youtube Music app is shit, and the play music app has a way bigger feature set, with Youtube Music not supporting most of Google Play Music's features. Google says they will be porting all of that functionality over time to Youtube Music. You can bet that as soon as google can get away with it, Google Play Music goes away in lieu of youtube music. They just won't be able to do it for a year or two until they get the functionality moved over.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    YouTube Music's suggestions and mix tapes seem better than Google Play Music's to me, but it's missing a solid handful of albums that are on Google Play Music, which is puzzling.

• Options
    I'm personally going to stick with the play music app for as long as I can, even though I immediately spent the extra $2 to get Youtube Premium. The Youtube Music app doesn't really have "album" support. If you add an album to your library it just creates a playlist, which is a youtube playlist, which shows up in youtube.

And if you're someone who had a whole bunch of playlists set up in youtube, even ones that are not music related at all, they show up in Youtube Music playlists. It's actually a mess.

• Options
    The whole system is a trash fire. I legit tried to give google music a shot but man that app is warmed over shit, especially on desktop. I just switched back to spotify premium and I don't regret it a bit.

• Options
    play music's android app is actually really good. I tried spotify for a month and found play music's app to be mostly better, save for a copule off odd things that are mostly cosmetic.

I never use it on desktop/web so I can't really comment on that.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    play music's android app is actually really good. I tried spotify for a month and found play music's app to be mostly better, save for a copule off odd things that are mostly cosmetic.

I never use it on desktop/web so I can't really comment on that.

I had a bunch of problems with the android app, where it would just fail to do things (like starting a radio station from a playlist) without any meaningful error message other than something like 'this action cannot be completed at this time'. When I looked further into it, it was a known issue that had been known about for at least a year without any fix.

The desktop UI is terrible, and buggy, and broken. I had issues where the page would autorefresh on 5 or 10 second intervals. It wouldn't interrupt playback, but it would interrupt whatever you were trying to do and jump back up to the top of the page. That was also a known issue with no fix in the works as far as I could tell.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    The desktop UI is terrible, and buggy, and broken. I had issues where the page would autorefresh on 5 or 10 second intervals. It wouldn't interrupt playback, but it would interrupt whatever you were trying to do and jump back up to the top of the page. That was also a known issue with no fix in the works as far as I could tell.
    Huh, I've been using the Play Music web UI for several years and haven't had any major issues; certainly no constant auto-refresh. It's been pretty good to me, so that's what I've been using.

I found the Android app to be good when you just want to do music streaming, but awkward in those cases where you have a bunch of MP3s on your phone and sometimes you just want to play those instead; especially when you had the albums organized as folders on your phone, but the MP3 files maybe didn't all have their meta-info filled in.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Huh, I've been using the Play Music web UI for several years and haven't had any major issues; certainly no constant auto-refresh. It's been pretty good to me, so that's what I've been using.

I found the Android app to be good when you just want to do music streaming, but awkward in those cases where you have a bunch of MP3s on your phone and sometimes you just want to play those instead; especially when you had the albums organized as folders on your phone, but the MP3 files maybe didn't all have their meta-info filled in.

The Play Music app is not good for random files on your phone. It was never really designed to do that.

I've also never had that kind of issue with the android app with crashes or it not working/playing something. Always been rock solid.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The Play Music app is not good for random files on your phone. It was never really designed to do that.
    Oh, sure, I totally get that, but I've also been dragging around and growing the same MP3 collection for like... 17-18 years, now. Organizing and consuming it by folder is how I've always done it. Almost certainly I should just take the plunge at some point and bring all the metadata in there up-to-date - but until I do that, I will prefer to do it the way I've always done it.

I also find that the meta-data approach creates a tremendous amount of useless noise when you have a bunch of compilation albums (in my cases: the early Guitar Hero soundtracks, some OCRemix compliation albums, the early Pure Moods albums). I have dozens, maybe hundreds of one-off artist and albums that each have one track from them in my collection. It's beyond useless to me, because I will literally never ever want to listen to the one song by Cream that I have, I will only ever listen to it in the context of the Guitar Hero 1 soundtrack. One workaround to this is to blow away the metadata and put in something contrived (like "Guitar Hero 1" for both artist and album), but that is yet more time-consuming stuff, and also seems "wrong".

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hey, guys, a question: so my father got an old Tab E to read documents and stuff, and now he wants to let one of his workers use it to be able to do quick edits to excels on the field when doing checkups and stuff. But he asked me to see if I could lock down the ability to install apps and use the internet (or failing that, at least download stuff), so that they can't screw it up too much (this worker is not terribly computer-literate). Everything I find about how to do this is for Android 5.0 and up, while this tablet seems to have 4.4.4 and also Samsung's own weird system, so I'm not even sure where to look.

Any pointers? I'm okay with using external blocking apps or whatever. I just am not really used to Android (I barely use my phone as is) so I'm a little lost here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Can't you just put a password on app install via the play store?
    Guest account with parental controls?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    The thing is that far as I can tell there is no "users" option in the settings menu for this Samsung android skin. I thought it was just a "my version of android is too old" thing, hence my asking, but according to that article it's supposed to be there, but it is definitely not, and I have no idea how to lock things without multiple users.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I don't think samsung implimented it in their earlier android builds.

Honestly, on 4.4.4 your options are going to be super limited. 4.4 is circa 2013, lots of the modern controls Google (and even samsung) have put in over the years just won't be in 4.4.

• Options
    I don't know if that era of Samsung had the Knox software or not. They may have disabled the Google user switching and implemented it in there somehow. That's peak Bad Era Samsung.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think my LG G4 just died, at least partially. The screen only seems to respond to the unlock code that can be entered when the display is off, and doesn't respond at all otherwise, which is really annoying; and the display is all smeared and seemingly super-high contrast, and ghosting really badly (like for many multiple seconds) and it only comes on slowly from the top down rather than just coming on all at once. Nothing's happened to the phone, I was using it just fine all day. It suddenly happened just as I was writing a message on it.

I wonder if an OTG cable (which I don't have, I'd have to track one down) with a USB mouse attached might actually respond. Just because I think there's a few minor things on there that might not be backed up to the cloud (because I'm a procrastinating idiot). And without the screen responding I can't get it to allow USB transfer to my computer. The remaining internals still seem to be working just fine; notifications are still coming through, etc, etc, so I think it's just the screen/digitizer -, IIRC, it was the first phone to have the two integrated. Why it responds to the unlock with the display off but nothing when the display is on, I don't know.

Since it's this old, it's probably not worth coughing up for a screen replacement, so time for a new phone, I guess. Of course it happened after everywhere B&M that sells phones is closed for the night. I'm charging up my Cubot Rainbow and going to get everything updated on that, so at least I can actually have a working phone of a sort.

I just nipped out to the only store around here open this late to see if they have an OTG cable. Hope against expectation; no dice. So ordered one off Amazon but that means waiting until tomorrow to be able to do anything, which drives me nuts. Sigh.

Jazz on