As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Crossposting from @Jebus314 in the computer security thread:
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Dang son. Most google and Samsung phones have/had a vulnerability which let a rouge app access all photos and stored gps locations, as well as activate the camera and microphone whenever they wanted and without notifying the user, including when the phone was locked. All remotely. All that was required was to give the rogue app storage permissions.

That seems like a pretty much a worst case scenario for a cell phone.

Link.
    • Take a photo on the victim’s phone and upload (retrieve) it to the C&C server
    • Record a video on the victim’s phone and upload (retrieve) it to the C&C server
    • Parse all of the latest photos for GPS tags and locate the phone on a global map
    • Operate in stealth mode whereby the phone is silenced while taking photos and recording videos
    • Wait for a voice call and automatically record: Video from the victim’s side, Audio from both sides of the conversation

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    JFC

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Shit, man. That's pretty bad.

I can take some solace in my "defense"--I use an LG phone, and my variety of app usage and installations is actually quite narrow (and them almost all come from Microsoft or LG). Not that I doubt the same breach could happen to LG's camera app.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'm sure Huawei is totally safe

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I can take some solace in my "defense"--I use an LG phone, and my variety of app usage and installations is actually quite narrow (and them almost all come from Microsoft or LG). Not that I doubt the same breach couldn't happen to LG's camera app.

I mean, all it takes is a malicious actor working at LG (or any of the providers, really) to insert some code into one of their apps (see: Lenovo laptops and their software providing keyloggers)

At least the exploit's been closed according to the article, but god damn

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I can take some solace in my "defense"--I use an LG phone, and my variety of app usage and installations is actually quite narrow (and them almost all come from Microsoft or LG). Not that I doubt the same breach couldn't happen to LG's camera app.

I mean, all it takes is a malicious actor working at LG (or any of the providers, really) to insert some code into one of their apps (see: Lenovo laptops and their software providing keyloggers)

At least the exploit's been closed according to the article, but god damn

Potential negative confusion aside, yes, I absolutely think so. "I don't use many apps" is a better defense, but it's still not much of one. LG could similarly screw up.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I misread your post at first glance sorry about that. Blame it on a lack of coffee.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Got my new replacement pixel 3 and immediately placed a condom over the usb c to see if this prevents lint issues

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Just ordered a 4xl, they're doing a deal with $500 fi credit with purchase through fi

• Options
    edited November 2019
    At work this morning, I realized that the small glass cover over the dual-camera setup in my LG G6+ had cracked over one lens. Namely, the "regular" (non-wide angle) one.

I was surprised. Especially since I use a phone case, and I had actually used it last night and I can't recall dropping my phone, much less that hard, in the intervening period. The effect is immediately noticeable: aside from aesthetically, actually using the lens is very cloudy now (the camera, I'm sure, is fine).

Then again, I'm a little less surprised--a few months ago, I noticed that the glass in the small segment piece was slightly clouded (almost like dust was trapped underneath it). Since I've never actually cracked the screen of a smartphone I own (I buy cases and am careful), I tend to notice things like that. That probably wasn't helping the photo quality.

I wonder if it was a flaw in the glass? The rest of the glass back panel is practically spotless.

I could probably get it repaired though, as noted above, I've never actually gotten a smartphone repaired before. I still have every smartphone I owned (and didn't sell on eBay) going back to a Dell Venue Pro that won't even boot to the OS (internal storage issue). The replacement process is so simple that I could probably do it myself (with the cost of replacement, a hair dryer and gunpla tools)...but I wouldn't trust the phone's waterproofing any more to be sure.

I might also use it as an excuse to get an LG G8. Even with the notch (at least you can "hide" it), that dumb hand gesture thing that I couldn't care less about, and the dual-camera setup (since the triple-camera setup with the telephoto lens is only available in South Korea, and I'm not literally doubling my price to import it), the reception to the phone's audio system--even that silly internal "OLED lens"--has been very positive. LG's definitely one of the few remaining audiophile phone companies, possibly the only one that's not purely designing phones just as audio players. Plus the Snapdragon 855 would probably be snappier Azur Lane. The underwhelming UI can be pretty easily mitigated (along with the unmovable Google search bar, F' that noise), I have pretty basic camera needs (not so basic to ignore "super cloudy photos because of cracked glass" I suppose), and I'm more focused on the audio. The reviews basically all repeat the same mantra: "Don't pay $800 for this phone." Which is sound advice. But if you can get it for literally half that (or less, if you weren't picky about color or waited a while), it's a lot more palatable.

I thought about using it as an excuse to get a Razor Phone 2 (and those dumb-joycon-looking yet surprisingly well received Junglecat controllers) and see if I could get used to Xbox Game Streaming on a phone, but no Qi charging/audio jack is a deal breaker. :?

(If anyone wants to talk me out of it, this would be a good time.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    At work this morning, I realized that the small glass cover over the dual-camera setup in my LG G6+ had cracked over one lens. Namely, the "regular" (non-wide angle) one.

I was surprised. Especially since I use a phone case, and I had actually used it last night and I can't recall dropping my phone, much less that hard, in the intervening period. The effect is immediately noticeable: aside from aesthetically, actually using the lens is very cloudy now (the camera, I'm sure, is fine).

Then again, I'm a little less surprised--a few months ago, I noticed that the glass in the small segment piece was slightly clouded (almost like dust was trapped underneath it). Since I've never actually cracked the screen of a smartphone I own (I buy cases and am careful), I tend to notice things like that. That probably wasn't helping the photo quality.

I wonder if it was a flaw in the glass? The rest of the glass back panel is practically spotless.

I could probably get it repaired though, as noted above, I've never actually gotten a smartphone repaired before. I still have every smartphone I owned (and didn't sell on eBay) going back to a Dell Venue Pro that won't even boot to the OS (internal storage issue). The replacement process is so simple that I could probably do it myself (with the cost of replacement, a hair dryer and gunpla tools)...but I wouldn't trust the phone's waterproofing any more to be sure.

I might also use it as an excuse to get an LG G8. Even with the notch (at least you can "hide" it), that dumb hand gesture thing that I couldn't care less about, and the dual-camera setup (since the triple-camera setup with the telephoto lens is only available in South Korea, and I'm not literally doubling my price to import it), the reception to the phone's audio system--even that silly internal "OLED lens"--has been very positive. LG's definitely one of the few remaining audiophile phone companies, possibly the only one that's not purely designing phones just as audio players. Plus the Snapdragon 855 would probably be snappier Azur Lane. The underwhelming UI can be pretty easily mitigated (along with the unmovable Google search bar, F' that noise), I have pretty basic camera needs (not so basic to ignore "super cloudy photos because of cracked glass" I suppose), and I'm more focused on the audio. The reviews basically all repeat the same mantra: "Don't pay $800 for this phone." Which is sound advice. But if you can get it for literally half that (or less, if you weren't picky about color or waited a while), it's a lot more palatable.

I thought about using it as an excuse to get a Razor Phone 2 (and those dumb-joycon-looking yet surprisingly well received Junglecat controllers) and see if I could get used to Xbox Game Streaming on a phone, but no Qi charging/audio jack is a deal breaker. :?

I would suggest getting one of those 40th anniversary Walkmans but I don't think they come with a headphone jack anymore.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I would suggest getting one of those 40th anniversary Walkmans but I don't think they come with a headphone jack anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdy_2kGGhM

Tool long and didn't watch (you should though, the man is a British treasure)? "Not an easy sell for anyone who doesn't have a hard-on for Sony retro-flavor gear." It does have a headphone jack, though.

Being Taiwanese (and simultaneously from a family too miserly to buy Sony portables during their golden age when domestic alternatives flourished), I don't have any Walkman attachment personally. But I already have a good digital media player with an headphone jack: my old-ass Zune HD, which is big enough to hold my whole library (32 GB). So buying a phone that doesn't have a jack, or a high quality DAC, or expandable storage (not that I'd really need it going from 128 GB) is technically possible.

The question would be, "But why?" I'm not even a fan of LG's stuff in general (their mainstay monitors aren't as good as they could be, OLED isn't the best option for gaming, even before considering the premium). They just have a niche in phones that actually make them almost as good as my old ass Zune, while obviously doing all kinds of phone stuff (and supporting more formats).

Without that utility, it becomes a lot more the question of, "Why bother with a new phone? Just fix it and try and avoid getting the phone wet from now on."

EDIT: Also, the Walkman costs more. Substantially more.

Synthesis on
  • Options

Tool long and didn't watch (you should though, the man is a British treasure)? "Not an easy sell for anyone who doesn't have a hard-on for Sony retro-flavor gear." It does have a headphone jack, though.

Being Taiwanese (and simultaneously from a family too miserly to buy Sony portables during their golden age when domestic alternatives flourished), I don't have any Walkman attachment personally. But I already have a good digital media player with an headphone jack: my old-ass Zune HD, which is big enough to hold my whole library (32 GB). So buying a phone that doesn't have a jack, or a high quality DAC, or expandable storage (not that I'd really need it going from 128 GB) is technically possible.

The question would be, "But why?" I'm not even a fan of LG's stuff in general (their mainstay monitors aren't as good as they could be, OLED isn't the best option for gaming, even before considering the premium). They just have a niche in phones that actually make them almost as good as my old ass Zune, while obviously doing all kinds of phone stuff (and supporting more formats).

Without that utility, it becomes a lot more the question of, "Why bother with a new phone? Just fix it and try and avoid getting the phone wet from now on."

It was a mild joke, sorry. I would say to just suck it up right now. While the new LG phone is better in some ways it seems like not enough of a step up right now for you. The current phone will do everything you want it to and more. If you really are concerned about water proofing then it might be worth having a separate device for your photo needs?

The walkman has like 1 cool feature that I think is available to anyone who uses the android walkman app. It's an expensive toy in every way.

• Options

It was a mild joke, sorry. I would say to just suck it up right now. While the new LG phone is better in some ways it seems like not enough of a step up right now for you. The current phone will do everything you want it to and more. If you really are concerned about water proofing then it might be worth having a separate device for your photo needs?

The walkman has like 1 cool feature that I think is available to anyone who uses the android walkman app. It's an expensive toy in every way.

I sort of expected it was. I mean, I do take my photographs with my camera. The phone is more an afterthought. But whether or not I replace the lens cover glass, and it seems pretty easy, the phone wouldn't be water resistant any more. Leaving as it is may be less water resistant than the replacement, actually. :?

I'm not taking photos on rainy days (well, if I were, the phone would be preferable, low lighting be damned), but I do always have my phone on me, including when it rains, and I do use it when it rains (God willing, we don't go through another drought here in the US Southeast). I also leave it on my bathroom counter when I'm showering. Really, the water resistance is weighing heavily on my mind, considering I don't take it into the shower or get pushed into pools.

Technically speaking, the phone is better in all ways--from a specifications standpoint. But it's not a huge jump, the same way the LG G6+ isn't old enough that any 2018/2019 flagship would be a huge jump unless it was folding or something. It's going from Sandragon 821 to 855 which isn't that huge of an improvement (I think). It has the same storage (which mostly just reflects the fact that I doubt I'll ever buy another phone with less than 64 GB onboard storage and expandable storage), and the same amount of RAM. The Razor Phone 2, just to use a similarly-priced example, has an actual 120 hz screen (and a battery that doesn't match). With the Junglecats, it's a Switch-esque device with a much better screen (and a completely different library...). But as a phone, I'd probably really dislike it, and handheld gaming has never held my attention (I don't even play Azur Lane as much as my friends play Pokemon Go).

But really, not buying a new phone is of course an option. Honestly, I could probably just put some good impermeable tape on the cameras, pop it back into the Incpio case, and it'd be virtually as waterproof. I do appreciate you weighing in, it's just the more I think about it, "Get another, more expensive phone," isn't a better alternative (which may not be what you're suggesting ultimately).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just wish it was an actual walkman that played cassette tapes. I'd buy one for my mom for Christmas if it was.

• Options
    If I'm honest, its something I go through quite a bit when I feel there is an issue with a device I own. In my own experiences always I regret just buying a new device unless the issue was unfixable.

I'd either fix it yourself, find a fully waterproof case if available.

• Options
    That's not a bad line of reasoning. I'd probably rule out a G8 completely if it wasn't for the fact that a new LG G6+ costs about the same price on Amazon ($400), and that's influenced eBay sale prices (including for used units which almost certainly have been repaired).
    LD50 wrote: »
    I just wish it was an actual walkman that played cassette tapes. I'd buy one for my mom for Christmas if it was.

You can always buy an actual casette Walkman. It's the "getting them working" that is often the tricky part.

• Options
    That's not a bad line of reasoning. I'd probably rule out a G8 completely if it wasn't for the fact that a new LG G6+ costs about the same price on Amazon ($400), and that's influenced eBay sale prices (including for used units which almost certainly have been repaired).

You can always buy an actual casette Walkman. It's the "getting them working" that is often the tricky part.

Yeah, if you buy them new, they're invariably shitty (IIRC there's literally only one manufacturer that still makes cassette deck hardware now and it's a shit quality deck). Old ones all have problems with motor strength/speed that I don't really know how to troubleshoot.

• Options

Yeah, if you buy them new, they're invariably shitty (IIRC there's literally only one manufacturer that still makes cassette deck hardware now and it's a shit quality deck). Old ones all have problems with motor strength/speed that I don't really know how to troubleshoot.

Plus, a lot of people aren't as good as the Techmoan guy when it comes to cleaning out melted rubber belts (which is a common problem with casette players, though not necessarily a feature in all of Sony's).

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I got a pixel 4XL and so far I'm loving it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    I got a pixel 4XL and so far I'm loving it.

Hi5 my phone brother.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    So is the pixel 3a a decent mid-high tier phone? It is $300 for black friday.

It would be a big upgrade for my wife who has a moto phone.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    So is the pixel 3a a decent mid-high tier phone? It is $300 for black friday.

It would be a big upgrade for my wife who has a moto phone.

I got one for my mom and she likes it.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I have the 3a XL and I love it. No issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Thinking of scooping a 3a XL as a backup for my regular 3 XL. I've dropped it more times than I like to admit but it's still trucking, no cracks. Most recently I dropped it hard onto tile floors, and it powered off. I was freaked out for a few good minutes until it powered back on. I'm just too clumsy despite taking good care of it otherwise.

• Options
    Is the only difference between the 3a and xl the size?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Ordered a Pixel 4 XL via the Best Buy Black Friday deal, $599 for the 128GB version. For some reason they wouldn't ship the phone to my zip code even though Verizon proper will. The mobile version of their site claimed that it was because VZW doesn't allow it when you choose "keep plan" but the desktop site says nothing about it :?

One interesting thing reading the fine print generated is that it lists the discounted price of the phone as $599 (of course), but it looks like it doesn't do the usual Verizon BS of applying your discount as a credit spread out over the 24 month period. The discount is upfront, so you can pay off the device in full at any time if you choose. I expected it to work like any other time you have a DPP through Verizon.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Verizon has been a shitshow today apparently. I mean, activating with any carrier can be trouble, but Verizon in particular was giving stores a major headache.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Apparently Android comes with a way to hide notches in the developer settings, so that opens up some options for me that I thought were closed. Now if only there was a way to turn rounded screen corners into fake bezels as well.

Unfortunately, I've kind of settled into the idea of not actually bothering to replace my phone. The crack isn't that visible in normal usage, and the longer I wait, the cheaper that things are going to get...

• Options
    Rounded screen corners were one thing I wondered if I'd get used to when I ordered this phone. Turns out it took me mere seconds to get used to them. YMMV, of course, but as someone often resistant to change that was a pleasant surprise.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Rounded screen corners were one thing I wondered if I'd get used to when I ordered this phone. Turns out it took me mere seconds to get used to them. YMMV, of course, but as someone often resistant to change that was a pleasant surprise.

You saying that made me check if my phone had rounded corners or not. Turns out it does and I never noticed.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yeah, kinda the same way. I'm mostly used to the hole punch on my phone but I literally just looked to see if it had rounded corners because I really didn't remember.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious. You used to be able to set individual contacts to have their own sounds for stuff like messages (and phone calls).

Also I'm nearly certain you used to be able to set per-app notification sounds.

Right now, there are at least 8 apps that use the System notification sound I chose, so I never know if I should care or not when something comes through.

Is there something in Settings, or have these features gone away?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    You can definitely set individual ringtones and even text message sounds for each contact. I use Google Contacts and after clicking on a person's name click the 3 dots in the upper right and click set ringtone. You should be able to set different notification sound for different apps as well. Try application management under setting instead of sound.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    so ended up grabbing a 3a for my wife, but now I am debating grabbing one for me.

how much of an upgrade would i see from my OP3T? seems like the processor is a bit of a downgrade, but has more threads so it should be faster?

my phone is mostly fine other than a slightly decreased battery life

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The Mate 20 Pro just got Android 10, and I like it.

Also, for some reason, the display fingerprint reader is much much faster, too.

I like!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The Mate 20 Pro just got Android 10, and I like it.

Also, for some reason, the display fingerprint reader is much much faster, too.

I like!

I think 10 has an updated biometrics api, which is probably why it's faster.

• Options
    It's much faster! Works almost as fast as the old regular scanner

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I love that. New tech updated to be nearly as fast as the old tech! :lol:

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I love that. New tech updated to be nearly as fast as the old tech! :lol:

Yeah.. Not a huge fan of the display fingerprint scanner. I can unlock my phone without taking it off the table, I guess?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg