As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CanadaPAX (June 15, 2018) - Discord and a Vague Schedule on Page 7

CelloCello Registered User regular
edited June 2018 in Social Entropy++
@Simben, @Psykoma and I proudly present: a reason for all you jerks to come visit Canada and save us airfare!

Where is it?

Because it's a beautiful city (and also we don't want to travel too far for once), we've chosen Montreal as our destination.

5104226627001_5576185158001_5541863123001-vs.jpg?pubId=5104226627001&videoId=5541863123001

From Wikipedia:

Montreal (officially Montréal) is the most populous municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec and the second-most populous municipality in Canada as a whole. Originally called Ville-Marie, or "City of Mary", it is named after Mount Royal, the triple-peaked hill in the heart of the city. The city is centred on the Island of Montreal, which took its name from the same source as the city, and a few much smaller peripheral islands, the largest of which is Île Bizard. It has a distinct four-season continental climate with warm to hot summers and cold, snowy winters.

Historically the commercial capital of Canada, Montréal was surpassed in population and in economic strength by Toronto in the 1970s. It remains an important centre of commerce, aerospace, transport, finance, pharmaceuticals, technology, design, education, art, culture, tourism, food, fashion, gaming, film and world affairs. Montreal has the second-highest number of consulates in the continent, serves as the location of the location of the headquarters of the International Civil Aviation Organization, and was named a UNESCO City of Design in 2006. In 2017, Montreal was ranked the 12th most liveable city in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit in its annual Global Liveability Ranking, and the best city in the world to be a university student in the QS World University Rankings.

Montreal has hosted multiple international conferences and events, including the 1967 International and Universal Exposition and the 1976 Summer Olympics. It is the only Canadian city to have held the Summer Olympics. As of 2016 the city hosts the Canadian Grand Prix of Formula One, the Montreal International Jazz Festival[35] and the Just for Laughs festival. In 2012, Montreal was ranked as a Beta-plus world city.

What are we going to do there?

Short answer: eat too much, walk some places, see old buildings, probably get drunk??

Long answer: There is so much to choose from. Options include:

Food: Montreal is famous for Montreal smoked meat, Montreal-style bagels, and of course, poutine. We have a lot to choose from here, but generally the local favourites include Schwartz's, St-Viateur, and La Banquise (they're open 24 hours!). There's also a thriving restaurant scene, we're not going to be starved for options here.

Activities: Axe throwing is a must. There's also the Montreal Biodome, where you can see penguins and otters and plan a heist to take one home, the local Six Flags park La Ronde, or just wandering and shopping and seeing the sights of the Old Port, St-Catherine, etc.

When is this happening?

We're proposing three potential weekends: May 20 (Victoria Day Weekend), June 16, or Canada Day (July 1). Canada Day is less of a thing in Montreal, it's really just a moving day, but, you know, it's an option. We're hoping to pick the best of these three for people to attend; the date will be finalized by February 28 to reduce hotel and flight costs.

Fill out the form here to help us decide: https://goo.gl/forms/bSrRRHgjTgvTlNr52

Where can we stay?

To be determined! We'll either look at hotels or AirBnBs once we have a weekend picked out.

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
Cello on

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Come and visit us! We promise we're not weirdos! We're sorry if we apologize too much!

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    THINGS WHAT FOR TO DO IN MONTREAL: A PRIMER

La Ronde
    69c8e8d2407734840b2a8506d4fff519ffd8e27e.jpg_facebook.jpg
    Wikipedia wrote:
    La Ronde (Round) is an amusement park in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, built as the entertainment complex for Expo 67, the 1967 world fair. Today, it is owned and operated by Six Flags. The park is under an emphyteutic lease with the City of Montreal, which expires in 2065. It is the largest amusement park in Quebec, and second largest in Canada.[1]

It is on 146 acres (59.1 ha) located on the Northern tip of Saint Helen's Island. This is a man-made extension to the island in the space where the small Ronde Island had been.[2] The park hosts L'International des Feux Loto-Québec, a highly regarded international fireworks competition. La Ronde is one of two Six Flags parks not to be officially branded as a Six Flags park (the other being Great Escape in Queensbury, New York).

Notable rides at La Ronde include Le Monstre, one of the largest wooden rollercoasters in the world, and the Goliath, which was the largest rollercoaster in Canada from 2006 to 2008. Aside from that, it also has its own rebranded version of the Batman rollercoaster (here called the Vampire), the Boomerang, a rollercoaster with two drops that makes you go back through it backwards, and a dwindling number of vintage rides considering the park's origin at the 1967 World's Fair (though the most beloved one of those, the classic Pitoune, was closed down last year). It's a heckin' good time at an amusement park, what more could you ask for?

Pros:
    -A heckin' good time
    -Easily enough fun to fill out a whole day
    -Saturday nights usually end with a showcase from the international fireworks festival
    -Open from like 10 in the morning to midnight-ish

Cons:
    -Expensive: like 50 bucks per person for a day ticket I think? Maybe more? Unfortunately since the tickets for the upcoming season aren't yet on sale it seems impossible to Google any information like how expensive the tickets were last year
    -Weather dependent. Not all summer days are sunny in Montreal, and if the weather's shitty, we're gonna have a bad time
    -Likely crowded, expect teens
    -Not a ton there for you if you're not into rollercoasters

Biodome
    p1040935-rogne_0.jpg
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Montreal Biodome (French: Biodôme de Montréal) is a facility located at Olympic Park in the Montreal neighbourhood of Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve that allows visitors to walk through replicas of four ecosystems found in the Americas. The building was originally constructed for the 1976 Olympic Games as a velodrome. It hosted both track cycling and judo events. Renovations on the building began in 1989 and in 1992 the indoor nature exhibit was opened.

The Montreal Biodome is one of four facilities that make part of the largest natural science museum complex in Canada, Space for Life, which also includes the Montreal Insectarium, Montreal Botanical Garden, and Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium.[6] It is an accredited member of both the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA).[7]
    It's an indoor zoo, y'all. It's an interesting thing to see if you haven't: the interior includes recreated environments simulating the climat of a tropical jungle, a Canadian forest, a maritime coastal environment, and the planet's poles. Each environment has animals from those regions living there in simulations of their natural habitats. It's also located literally right under the Olympic Stadium.

Pros:
    -Cheap
    -Capybaras, piranhas, a lynx, bats, some pretty birds and penguins!

Cons:
    -Short (probably less than 2 hours to see everything, so that's at most an after-lunch outing)
    -No large animals since it's interior

Randolph
    20120814-135558-g.jpg
    Me wrote:
    Randolph is a board game pub. Go in there, have some booze, play some games! It's a favorite spot of mine and we should all go there. That place also published a French Canadian localization of Cards Against Humanity called "L'Osti D'Jeu", which is just trivia but, y'know, that's a thing they're famous for.

Pros:
    -They got a bunch of games you can try for free and have game sommeliers that will suggest games to you if you're out of inspiration
    -They will let you bring your own games and play whatever
    -Alcohol makes everything better, try their black velvets
    -Located at Berri-UQAM station, right in the middle of the city, way easy to get there

Cons:
    -A lot of games there are in French, which isn't a problem for ALL games but does limit the playable pool for this crowd
    -Frequently crowded, might be a line-up depending on when we go

The Olympic Stadium
    1000?cb=20110519111109&path-prefix=en
    Picus Communications is the corporate headquarters of the Picus Group located in Montreal, Canada. The Picus Group, which is composed of various different multimedia and entertainment companies, uses the Picus Communications building to house a number of these. Picus Web which develops and maintains Picus' websites is based here. Similarly Picus TV, known for its news program hosted by Eliza Cassan, operates primarily from this building. The true owners of Picus, the Illuminati, also constructed a sub-basement under the building where secret projects could be carried out.

Pros:
    -Swords in your arms
    -X-ray eyes
    -Lots of XP to be gained from hacking computers and crawling in vents
    -Very nice view, and I called the mayor and she said she'll make sure we don't have to hold against waves of enemies while waiting for the funicular

Cons:
    -Evil conspiracy mercenaries will try to shoot you
    -There's something fishy about Eliza Cassan
    In all seriousness, the Olympic Stadium is there for the visit, it's reasonably impressive as a large building but the inside of the stadium itself has no regular operations since the Expos left. You CAN take a funicular up to the top of the tower and admire the view if that's what you're into.

Mont Royal
    5104226627001_5576185158001_5541863123001-vs.jpg?pubId=5104226627001&videoId=5541863123001
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Mount Royal (French: Mont Royal, IPA: [mɔ̃ ʁwajal]) is a large volcanic-related hill or small mountain in the city of Montreal, immediately west of Downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Mount Royal gave its name to Montreal.

The hill is part of the Monteregian Hills situated between the Laurentians and the Appalachian Mountains. It gave its Latin name, Mons Regius, to the Monteregian chain. The hill consists of three peaks: Colline de la Croix (or Mont Royal proper) at 233 m (764 ft), Colline d'Outremont (or Mount Murray, in the borough of Outremont) at 211 m (692 ft), and Westmount Summit at 201 m (659 ft) elevation above mean sea level.

In June 2017, during the 375th anniversary of Montreal, the city formally renamed the Outremont peak Tiohtià:ke Otsira’kéhne, Mohawk for "the place of the big fire," reflecting how the hill had been used for a fire beacon by First Nations people.[1]
    It's a big ol' mountain right in the middle of the city! We can hike up there, it's nice and forested, and there's a very nice view from the top (as that picture I shamelessly stole from the OP shows).

Pros:
    -It's literally just a mountain we can go to. It's free.
    -Very nice view
    -Close to the city so not a big detour

Cons:
    -It's literally just a mountain we can go to

The Old Port
    1463144669_vieux-port-de-montreal.jpg
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Old Port of Montreal (French: Vieux-Port de Montréal) is the historic port of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Located in Old Montreal, it stretches for over two kilometres along the St-Lawrence River in Old Montreal. It was used as early as 1611, when French fur traders used it as a trading post.

In 1976, Montreal's Port activities were moved east to the present Port of Montreal in the borough of Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.[1]

The Old Port was redeveloped in the early 1990s, under the direction of architects Aurèle Cardinal and Peter Rose.[2] It is today a recreational and historical area and draws six million tourists annually.[1]
    It's a real nice riverside area with lots of very touristy things. On a sunny summer day, it's just a super nice place to lay in the grass and watch the boats from. It's also bordered by the oldest part of the city, with a lot of 375-year-old buildings and historical landmarks. There's also Pointe-à-Callière there for the real history nerds, a museum built on top of actual archaeological digs where you can go down and check out the earliest foundations of the city and all sorts of artifacts, as well as watch a multimedia show about Montreal's history. For the science nerds, the Centre des Sciences is located there, one of those family science museums that has some fun stuff to do in there and an IMAX theater showing science documentaries, you know the type. There's also food trucks and escape rooms there for the just regular nerds. You can get beaver tails and poutine in that area, easy.

Pros:
    -Probably the nicest place in town to just chill
    -Lots of touristy activities
    -Rich people have boats you can gawk at

Cons:
    -Lots of tourists
    -Can get expensive if you try to do all the touristy stuff

FAQ

Isn't Canada like, cold all the time?
    That's why we're doing this in the summer. It's nice in the summer. There are even a bunch of obnoxious heatwaves sometimes! You can walk around in a t-shirt and bermudas and sandals. It's fine. Even at nighttime. It's not always sunny, however. There are nasty cloudy days, shitty rain and some bad storms. It's pretty hard to predict how lucky we'll be but when it's nice, it's nice.

Can we get poutine?
    Anyone who comes is obligated to come to La Banquise, the place where you can get the best poutine in the world. I'll also recommend getting some smoked meat while you're here, another local specialty that doesn't get as much press but is nevertheless super delicious (Schwartz's on St-Laurent is the classical recommendation to get that, but considering how crowded it can get, you can pretty much get a decent smoked meat at any respectable deli up here).

I don't speak French, how hard is it gonna be to be there?
    French in Quebec is a... complicated matter. There are laws forcing all public services to be available in French, but absolutely no guarantee that anything is in English. All public signage is in French only. However, Montreal is by far the most cosmopolitan place in Quebec, and the one place in the province where you won't get weird looks if you address someone in English. You can absolutely get served in English at restaurants, bars, stores, and most Montrealers will almost psychotically insist on switching their conversation to broken English if a single anglophone enters it, even if that person also speaks French. It should be fine. If it's not fine, send a panicked stare and whimper at your nearest Simon and I'll rush in to be your interpreter.

I'll be driving up there, what do I need to know?
    As stated above, all public signage is in French only. However, pictograms are mostly the same and shouldn't be that hard to decipher. Another thing to note is that the metric system is used; make sure you set your dashboard to show kilometers per hour (or look at the km/h units if you have a traditional speed dial). The speed limit on highways is 100 km/h (62 mph), and in the city itself it's 40 on main arteries and 30 on smaller streets (signage will be present to remind you). Also: turning right on red lights is legal in Quebec, but it is illegal on the entirety of Montreal island. That being said, try to avoid driving in the city itself as much as possible. The traffic is bad and the drivers are worse. Which brings us to the next point:

How do I move around?
    The best way to get around in Montreal is by public transit. Full stop. It should be your first option and the way you use the most during your stay here. Almost all major streets have a bus line and they pretty much all pass within 30 minutes of each other, dipping down to sub-10 minutes on rush hours. There is also a very good subway, the Metro. The fares are fully transferrable from bus to metro and back, so a typical Montreal transit itinerary will be bus to metro station, possibly a metro transfer, then transfer to bus until you get to where you're going, all on a single fare. The regular fare is $3.25 (payable in cash in the bus or at the metro station), or you can get a day pass for 10 dollars, or a 3-day pass for 18. Basically: 18 bucks, you can go anywhere you want for your entire stay here. That's what I'd do. I think there are points of sale for those passes at the airport, but if not, taking a bus from the airport to the nearest metro station you'll find one there.

map-interactive.gif

MONEY
    That's not a question. But here: while most businesses here accept American currency, they will screw you over on the exchange rate and you'll end up paying far more than it's worth for everything if you pay with US cash. Your credit or debit card should work at most businesses; check with your bank for fees. Or, just exchange some cash for our cash. Our cash is cool!

Don't you live there? Can I crash?
    I do. I have a couch and an inflatable mattress I can offer to up to three freeloaders, as long as two of them are okay with cuddling, and all three are okay with the fact that there will be a by-then two-year-old running around the apartment at 7 in the morning. I live fairly close to the aforementioned Biodome and Olympic Stadium (which are themselves at stations Pie-IX and Viau on that metro map I just linked), if that matters to you. PM me if interested. :)

If anybody can think of anything else to ask I should add to this post, let me know!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Depending on how much CruisePAX ends up being, and mostly my own ability to manage money, I might try to do both?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I am gonna get my passport and try to do this.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    HELL YEA

eta: May would work best for me, June is iffy b/c I'm visiting my bro, and I will be on a farm in the BC interior for Canada Day

Usagi on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    What is Montréal’s shadiest karaoke place?

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    What is Montréal’s shadiest karaoke place?

I’ll have to do some research and get back to you on that

However

Chinatown is probably where we want to aim

sig.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    IF I get a job

I will totally come!

Canada Day Weekend would be pretty good I think? Dunno what travel costs look like for the different times compared.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Dates wise, I'd be better with on or after July 1 because I work at a school that is in session until the last week of June.

Also, July 1 is when I get my vacation accrual again

Goose! on
  • Options
    I mean, it being a weekend will probably fine with any date. They've never turned down a vacation request for me before.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Complete random aside it was illegal until last year to play pinballs in bars in montreal

Thats insane to me

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have always wanted to go to Montreal...
    Can I go to the old Forum? Or did they tear that down?

• Options
    It's still there, kind of.
    The building has a movie theatre, a bowling/pool hall, I think there's an arcade in there? Also a gym and a comed club. The center of it still has some of the original seating.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hm yes I would like to try to do this

Will look into dates and fill out the survey accordingly

• Options
    The old forum is kinda depressing now though. The arcade pub is pretty cool and there’s a movie theater, but aside from that it’s pretty deserted, it has a couple memorabilia shops that don’t seem to make much business and unoccupied space.

sig.gif
  • Options
    When we were in high school my friends and I would do downtown trips to the bowling alley at the forum at least once a month.

I also appreciate the movie theatre there because they keep films long after they disappear from every other cinema around.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the movie theatre is really nice but yeah the forum itself is frequently depressing.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Canada day would probably be good for us dumb Americans because it’s just a few days before the 4th, so it would be easier to take a few days off around then.

I'm at least interested in going either way if y'all don't mind me there. Never been to Canada.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Man since I got a car my budget for random travel bullshit has been depleted in a major way.

But I'll try to make this, if only to escape the 110+ weather down here

• Options
    My other problem is the airline I have vouchers for doesn't fly to Montreal. Bummer.

• Options
    Just updated my post with a way-too-long FAQ for all your Q Aers. Probably some stuff I missed!

sig.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Oh wow, great posting!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hi, I live on the island of Montreal, and I want in.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    So how many augs is one allowed to export out of the country?

I feel like the Olympic stadium might be on my to do list.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Maybe! My next couple months are shrouded in mystery.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So how many augs is one allowed to export out of the country?

I feel like the Olympic stadium might be on my to do list.

Up to 800 credits worth.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I really want to try to do this

I don't know how financially feasible it'll be

But I'm going to try

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Man I wish I had the cash for this.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'll keep an eye on this for when a date is nailed done; I don't have a preference between the three.

Also I have a Six Flags Gold Pass, so I would be totally down to ride some coasters.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye on this for when a date is nailed done; I don't have a preference between the three.

Also I have a Six Flags Gold Pass, so I would be totally down to ride some coasters.

I'd check with Six Flags if that pass includes La Ronde, considering the weird history of the park, it might not be counted as a "canon" Six Flags. Just make sure before you go. :)

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Oh, shit! PAMeetréal? I'M in Montréal! This might be the first PA thing I actually attend, despite having grown up in BC. Driving down to Seattle takes effort, okay? Also I was always too poor to afford pax tickets, because, living in Vancouver, yay!

Randolph's is a solid suggestion, and just down the block there's a smaller, quieter cafe version of the same idea if boozahol ain't your thing. There's also ArcadeMTL and an esports bar right in between the two.

There's also a cat cafe! And a kinda expensive VR arcade! Both less than a half hour walk up from randolph's. And a chess cafe full of people ready to utterly destroy you if that's your thing. Chess is kinda a big thing here?

Anyway I'm super down, whenever y'all decide you want to do this!

Edit: also we could add the Bixis to the transit options.. Montréal has a pretty extensive network of automated rent-a-bikes, where you can grab one, bike somewhere, and usually pretty easily find a spot to leave it near there.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Since I ended up buying the plane ticket for east I’m probably gonna have to back out here.

Too many trips too close together, it’ll be hard to take any time off, and I’d kinda like to spend more than a couple days in Canada the first time I go there.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Dammit, even when the community makes its own PAX it's way too far away. Couldn't have put it in Manitoba?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Dammit, even when the community makes its own PAX it's way too far away. Couldn't have put it in Manitoba?

No, Montreal is way closer than Manitoba actually.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not true, manitoba is much closer to me than montreal

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JenneroseJennerose Registered User regular
    AHHHHHH we aren't supposed to go on a real vacation this year because we're trying to save money to do things like renovate our bathroom

But I REALLY want to do this

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    q
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Oh, shit! PAMeetréal? I'M in Montréal! This might be the first PA thing I actually attend, despite having grown up in BC. Driving down to Seattle takes effort, okay? Also I was always too poor to afford pax tickets, because, living in Vancouver, yay!

Randolph's is a solid suggestion, and just down the block there's a smaller, quieter cafe version of the same idea if boozahol ain't your thing. There's also ArcadeMTL and an esports bar right in between the two.

There's also a cat cafe! And a kinda expensive VR arcade! Both less than a half hour walk up from randolph's. And a chess cafe full of people ready to utterly destroy you if that's your thing. Chess is kinda a big thing here?

Anyway I'm super down, whenever y'all decide you want to do this!

Edit: also we could add the Bixis to the transit options.. Montréal has a pretty extensive network of automated rent-a-bikes, where you can grab one, bike somewhere, and usually pretty easily find a spot to leave it near there.

You can blame Échec & Math. (It's a pun on the French expression for checkmate.) My dad works for them. They organize extracurricular chess activities for "the youth". It's supposed to make their brains bigger, or something.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Man, Montreal is only a five hour drive for me...

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The last time I went to Montreal, it was to go to Calypso Water Park (which is actually outside of Montreal). However, we spent the night in Montreal at a boutique hotel and it cost us $500 a night because it was happening around the Osheaga Music Festival, too.

Protip: Book rooms in advance. Do not attend Montreal for Osheaga unless you like overpaying for a hotel.

Also, bars in Montreal let the liquor flow free. Getting a shot of anything isn't that expensive, and they tend to make it a double. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oh uh

should I come to this?