Options

The [Job] thread, when and how to break dance while in an interview

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That's a reference to me getting an interview for a job as a receptionist for a 'large online retailer' (I mean it has to be Amazon) in Seattle, I mentioned it to my mom and her response was "That's good but are you sure you'd want to work for Amazon? They don't pay very well and they don't treat their employees well at all!"

I wanted to refute that with I think they actually pay pretty decently if you're not working in their warehouses but there's no arguing with her about anything. I'd just get accused of calling her stupid or something.

I mean, ethically, I *do* have a problem with working for Amazon. But also... I like to have money.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    That's a reference to me getting an interview for a job as a receptionist for a 'large online retailer' (I mean it has to be Amazon) in Seattle, I mentioned it to my mom and her response was "That's good but are you sure you'd want to work for Amazon? They don't pay very well and they don't treat their employees well at all!"

I wanted to refute that with I think they actually pay pretty decently if you're not working in their warehouses but there's no arguing with her about anything. I'd just get accused of calling her stupid or something.

I mean, ethically, I *do* have a problem with working for Amazon. But also... I like to have money.

Seattle did see a guy jump from a building, but lady friend working there likes it...

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Assistant manager comes to me this morning "I think I need your help, can you write this report for me? I have too many things to do."

The thing I offered yesterday and you turned me down? Sorry clown, my pumpkins need watering.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

They pay their skilled workers well.

They tend to churn and burn though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I only just realised that "my pumpkins need watering" isn't a euphemism.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Update I obviously did help him out. But I made sure to give him shit for saying no yesterday.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    good on you for helping, but i find it pretty admirable for someone to at least try to do the job first, realize they need help, and then actually ask for it. those are all separate, valuable skills.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Honestly this is all really hard for me

Putting myself out there is completely antithetical to basically my entire way of being
    Talking on the phone is something I'm so bad at that when my mom would give me money for a taxi, I'd walk four miles and return the money to her rather than call for a taxi
    Talking or writing about my accomplishments is something I was brought up never to do; I feel like it's partly a cultural thing (Brits are regularly gasp at how confident and loud U.S. people are) and partly my family being especially like that (i.e. didn't attend graduations, didn't display any trophies/certificates, told never to talk about ourselves to others)

One reason I've been loving accounting is it's mostly just you, in a corner, working on a computer and not having to talk to anyone

And this entire week has been filled with phone interviews and writing ridiculous cover letters and putting myself out there on LinkedIn and trying to talk myself up and it's honestly so exhausting

Anyway, today I'm going to vamp up my LinkedIn, and work on that certification, and uuuugh

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Putting myself out there is completely antithetical to basically my entire way of being
    Talking on the phone is something I'm so bad at that when my mom would give me money for a taxi, I'd walk four miles and return the money to her rather than call for a taxi
    Talking or writing about my accomplishments is something I was brought up never to do; I feel like it's partly a cultural thing (Brits are regularly gasp at how confident and loud U.S. people are) and partly my family being especially like that (i.e. didn't attend graduations, didn't display any trophies/certificates, told never to talk about ourselves to others)

One reason I've been loving accounting is it's mostly just you, in a corner, working on a computer and not having to talk to anyone

And this entire week has been filled with phone interviews and writing ridiculous cover letters and putting myself out there on LinkedIn and trying to talk myself up and it's honestly so exhausting

Anyway, today I'm going to vamp up my LinkedIn, and work on that certification, and uuuugh

Being unemployed and looking for work is physically and mentally exhausting, especially for someone introverted like yourself, or lacking in social skills like me. After a while you need a holiday from not working, it's ridiculous!

• Options
    And despite not liking my job, I did tie an awful degree of my sense of self to being employed full time!

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I wish this OOD/BVR thing would hurry up and get me involved in some kind of training or school. I'm going stir crazy with no goals to really focus on and my bills and debts are really wearing on my mental health and this is taking forever.

I doubt even when it's over and I find a job it'll be any better. Woopie, a few hundred extra a month (since for every two dollars you make they cut your social security by a dollar making it largely pointless)

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for a month for movement on a government job I applied for, finally getting word this week and looks like things will be going faster now!

@Oghulk and others in the same boat, I can't imagine doing this for months/years, the uncertainty of a job application after even a month is stressful. I was just giving up and writing some new cover letters when the next round came through.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Janson I can see if we have any open bookkeeper positions in the area?

• Options
    Nice thing about security, taking an easy break in a decadent Italian bakery, reading articles about pre Columbus trips to the Americas.

Mali version of John Carter would be awesome!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I got called by the place that messaged me on indeed about a fraud analyst position that I said I am interested in. Called me while I was driving. Said she would call back in an hour. Coming up on two hours and no call. This is lame.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    I've been waiting for a month for movement on a government job I applied for, finally getting word this week and looks like things will be going faster now!

@Oghulk and others in the same boat, I can't imagine doing this for months/years, the uncertainty of a job application after even a month is stressful. I was just giving up and writing some new cover letters when the next round came through.

Coming up on two years for me.

Hence why I applied to got admitted and and accepted an offer to go to graduate school in the fall.

Maybe in two more years it'll be done :rotate:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm wondering how worth it pursuing some certification is.

I get a discount on the Quickbooks exam if I join the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers, which also offers licensing and CPE...

Janson on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Janson wrote: »

It really sucks as a whole process! But you are doing well and cracking on with it, which is great. Don't let people you live with get you down, we all have the utmost faith in both of you! In the meantime it's totally okay to feel like it's a shit experience to be job hunting, because, well it absolutely is.

Solar on
  • Options
    Emotionally crashing and resolving not to spend enough money at an Italian bakery that my sugar levels could power Las vegas

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wish this OOD/BVR thing would hurry up and get me involved in some kind of training or school. I'm going stir crazy with no goals to really focus on and my bills and debts are really wearing on my mental health and this is taking forever.

I doubt even when it's over and I find a job it'll be any better. Woopie, a few hundred extra a month (since for every two dollars you make they cut your social security by a dollar making it largely pointless)

A few hundred extra goes a long way, plus you'll be supporting yourself more and hopefully learning skills?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ugh I've spent all day packing equipment, now I need to go home and pack my clothes and personal crap. That sounds exhausting.

... I can probably get away with wearing the same three tank tops for a month. And if I can't, who the fuck is going to call me out.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m pretty sure I’m still at my dead end job for ten years because the thought of looking for a new job and all the social interactions it entails gives me nightmares.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure I’m still at my dead end job for ten years because the thought of looking for a new job and all the social interactions it entails gives me nightmares.

I've certainly stayed at places due to this. It also applies to relationships.

• Options
    On the plus side, remaining at a job for a number of years can look great on a resume!

Honestly, once I have a job, I might start looking at online education - I'd probably have to start from the bottom and get a second BA, but overall it could be worth it, I feel.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

A few hundred extra goes a long way, plus you'll be supporting yourself more and hopefully learning skills?

I'm already basically able to support myself. the only difference is I'll be spending like 15 to 20 hours a week doing something I hate for effectivley half the pay of someone not on disability.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Emotionally crashing and resolving not to spend enough money at an Italian bakery that my sugar levels could power Las vegas

Be strong!
    ... and if you can't, eat delicious.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Finally got a call back. Had to do a call center assessment and get 90%. Got 86% and the person I talked to called me a few minutes after finishing and sent me another assessment to take and told me with questions I got wrong. Finished the second assessment, have not gotten a call or email. Sent an email. Just waiting now.

Turns out if i get the job I'll be working through a temp agency on a 1 year contract for bank America as a fraud analyst. $20 an hour 12pm to 8:30pm Tuesday through Saturday. Training will be 8:30am to 4:30pm for 4 or 6 weeks. Only thing that sucks about the job is the distance and hours. Basically have to drive 20+ miles, I'll only hit traffic during training. Definitely not happy about clocking out at 8:30pm.

Also wont start till June 4th if I get the job.

I'm gonna miss two personal loan payments unless I can get a bunch of dog walks going which I highly doubt.

Edit: passed the assessment. Now to wait and see if I get an interview for the 18th of April.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    You know that feeling when you get to be in the room where it happens? I've had that feeling for the past two days, because I've been working a conference for Georgetown University alumni featuring many of the school's current and former Notable Persons, including the ones who influence national policy (or rather may one day influence it again, in a non-Trump era of governance).

I gave more than a few of them a note that essentially (but politely!) told them to do better and to stop sucking out loud regarding the policy focus of the Beltway Elite.

• Options
    you'll be plucked from stagehand obscurity to be a poorly paid intern.

I've decided I'm going to mitigate packing tedium by drinking while I do it.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    you'll be plucked from stagehand obscurity to be a poorly paid intern.

That sounds terrible for my liver.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Finally got a call back. Had to do a call center assessment and get 90%. Got 86% and the person I talked to called me a few minutes after finishing and sent me another assessment to take and told me with questions I got wrong. Finished the second assessment, have not gotten a call or email. Sent an email. Just waiting now.

Turns out if i get the job I'll be working through a temp agency on a 1 year contract for bank America as a fraud analyst. $20 an hour 12pm to 8:30pm Tuesday through Saturday. Training will be 8:30am to 4:30pm for 4 or 6 weeks. Only thing that sucks about the job is the distance and hours. Basically have to drive 20+ miles, I'll only hit traffic during training. Definitely not happy about clocking out at 8:30pm.

I'm gonna miss two personal loan payments unless I can get a bunch of dog walks going which I highly doubt.

Edit: passed the assessment. Now to wait and see if I get an interview for the 18th of April.

Give them a call and they might extend out, or at least let them know your situation and it will help keep them from potentially hitting your credit with a missed payment.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    the room where it happens
    (the room where it happens)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So I blamed a coworker for getting me sick earlier this week.

Turns out I have pneumonia, so the chance of that is slim.

Also plz someone kill me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Give them a call and they might extend out, or at least let them know your situation and it will help keep them from potentially hitting your credit with a missed payment.

Eh, I'm not too worried about it. It will only be one hit to my credit and more than likely it will work like discover does for credit cards and loans. No deferments or extensions but programs that basically only lower apr and still need me to make a full min payment.

I guess it doesn't hurt to find out but they did deny me the use of my payment protection to defer payments up to 6 months. Not sure why I'm still paying for payment protection.

• Options
    @bowen that really sucks - I hope you recover quickly. :(

I have a (online, but I've met her in person) friend who's a CPA, experienced auditor, business owner and mom to three kids, who's looking into real estate management and pursuing a masters in HR, who often makes my head spin (THREE. KIDS. And she has thyroid issues like me so I can't even begin to imagine her fatigue levels) ANYWAY she's the most awesome person and gave me a ton of great advice tonight and suggestions for what I can do to improve my qualifications.

Anyway, I love her and she's given me some goals to work towards!

Also, I'm halfway through the Quickbooks certification and it may just be a silly thing and not have any job-hunting-related uses, but it's still acting as a really useful refresher on accounting practices!

• Options

I'm already basically able to support myself. the only difference is I'll be spending like 15 to 20 hours a week doing something I hate for effectivley half the pay of someone not on disability.

And gaining experience and skills and maybe training that could lead to better paid jobs that you don't hate in future.

Unless you love being unemployed so much that more money isn't worth it, then you do you.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I organized a happy hour with coworkers for this past Thursday.

At one point the bartender said to me “as someone who personally served you eight beers, I have to say, you’re doing really well.” That was within an hour and a half. I had a wristband so I drank for free.

Not sure how I feel about that.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well both good and bad
    I was turned down yet again as support in favor of yet another person {thanks}
    But I got back my old schedule and free from the stress of being in charge. I know they will not quit in 2 days like the last one but I give them 3 to 5 months before they crack and I back in the ring of hell again

• Options
    Huh, geospatial job near my current job

Lets fuck this chicken and apply with a secy map this weekend

Lessee, they map out locations they already have, look at vectors, choose new locations

Vectors would be median spending income, age groups for their product, closest competition. But do they want to be toe to toe with rivals or out of sight?

• Options
    Got bugger all sleep last night. Went to bed at like 8pm but woke up at 10 and then couldn't get back to sleep. The dog wasn't in my house when I got up this morning, I guess instead of putting her away like normal some of the vols decided to let her sleep in their room. So in hindsight I think I had anxiety which kept me awake because my subconscious knew the dog wasn't here. That dog is a pain in the arse even when she's not around.

However despite no sleep this morning was a good drive. One of those drives that leaves you feeling sated. Now I'm going to eat some eggs and pass out.

This discussion has been closed.