Options

The [Job] thread, when and how to break dance while in an interview

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder if my library wonders at my ebook checkouts, where I check out a book in the morning and return it shortly after lunch. I'm really reading them, I just read fast! It's why I loved the latest Sanderson, I got to enjoy a book for three whole days!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Makes me wonder if my library wonders at my ebook checkouts, where I check out a book in the morning and return it shortly after lunch. I'm really reading them, I just read fast! It's why I loved the latest Sanderson, I got to enjoy a book for three whole days!

Good libraries should not even be looking at your reading habits, just rejoicing at all the circulation numbers you are giving them!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I shaved off my beard I had grown since late Sept last week
    I just need to get a new razor so I can cut my hair
    Still hearing the new support complain of how she is used to a smaller store and get buddy buddy with the late night mangers she is going to get eaten alive this weekend with the F crew

I have emails with this user id I find it both funny and lazy I get a lot of emails for Brian Leech or something similar which is not my name

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Today, I checked something that someone did

And it was wrong. And we both knew it was wrong, like, this was not an error which was a matter of opinion

Anyway, the person in particular was in a right stroppy mood all afternoon

And, like, I know that nobody likes to be corrected, but the boss is off sick, I'm basically filling in for him, I've got that plus my own work to do, I'm trying to help you here and be nice, and you're just being difficult? Come on.

Annoys me when people have no grace whatsoever

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yes. Of course you want all the IDs one higher than you did when you first placed this order in January.

At least I checked before I fired up the engraver!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey "timspork's ghost" and other librarians, with the e-book checkouts do you get extra info on things like how much of a book was read/completion percentage? I'm blasting through things from my library and it is great, but when I join these long queues for e books I wonder about how many people are reading vs just holding them because it's so easy to queue up a bunch. I imagine those stats would be useful both for designing hold policies as well as guiding future buys. Maybe seeing a book is checked out and on hold a lot but no one ever finishes it, so the sequel probably wouldn't do well.

Pretty sure we just get total circulation numbers and not percent read. Some of that borders on privacy issues and us Librarians are all about patron privacy in what they read.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey Jedoc timspork's ghost and other librarians, with the e-book checkouts do you get extra info on things like how much of a book was read/completion percentage? I'm blasting through things from my library and it is great, but when I join these long queues for e books I wonder about how many people are reading vs just holding them because it's so easy to queue up a bunch. I imagine those stats would be useful both for designing hold policies as well as guiding future buys. Maybe seeing a book is checked out and on hold a lot but no one ever finishes it, so the sequel probably wouldn't do well.

I don't know what kind of stats Overdrive provides to our collection development department, but as far as I know the only stats we track for ebooks are the number of circs and the length of the waitlist. We try to get waitlists down below a month when possible, but for a new title we try to balance short-term pay-per-circs with more expensive permanent copies. Just over the last year or two, demand has outstripped our emedia budget, so waitlists for new titles are creeping up over two and three months for the first time.

I imagine the kind of granular data tracking you're talking about will be slow to catch on in libraries, for cultural rather than technical reasons. We're all basically privacy fetishists when it comes to our patrons, and the Patriot Act turned us into a bunch of paranoids. We're happiest when we can burn your borrowing history to the ground every time you return an item, and we know better than anyone that the more data you have, the less anonymous it becomes. It's pretty common for libraries to refuse to track stats that would improve the patron experience just because we're not absolutely positive it couldn't be used to build up a user profile if it were seized by the government.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've got a weird Slovakian last name, and there are only about 100 adults using it in the United States, all of whom are closely related to me. I'm named after my dad, but since he doesn't use the internet, I've pretty much got a clear field on any service I want to sign up for.

Yeah, my name is relatively rare German setup, even in Germany. Getting first.last@<any email service ever> is nice, but probably on balance not worth the 30+ years and counting of having to talk about it every time a cashier looks at my CC.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Had a meeting with the union rep today and was told they believe I have a valid grievance but they're going to forward it higher up the chain to the person who can actually make that call. So I might be hearing something back within a week or so.

It's not definitive just yet but it's a little glimmer of hope to pierce the depressed cloud I've been squatting in for the past couple of months as I wondered if I'd just been forgotten out here.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Time to google how to trade in car with:
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

Really pissed poverty and life crisis kept me from performing proper maintenance

Now did they actually mean it's damaged and dying or did they just say that?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I was not really prepared for how much job hunting would make me feel like curling up into a ball and waiting to die

all I can envision is never having money again and having to surrender the kids to the charge of their grandparents

and I can't relax because if I'm relaxing I'm not job hunting and any gaming or reading of books just causes feelings of guilt to wash over me like woah

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I know you've probably been told this, but it is vitally important to schedule solid, inalienable blocks of leisure time into your job hunt. Otherwise, it feels like you're trying to sneak Stardew Valley past yourself, and it saps your time and self esteem without actually giving you any of the benefits of relaxing and recuperating.

Think of it as the difference between arranging three solid meals a day and just snacking on crap at random intervals throughout the day, then trying to starve yourself in the evening. Block out a few hours 8-10 hours after your normal wake-up time, label them "refill sanity meter," and do what you gotta do.

Your jerk brain will try and stop you, but it's right there on the schedule, and your jerk brain isn't your goddamn supervisor.

Edit: also, the reason for the 8-10 hours after wakeup thing is because that's a natural lull in most folks' diurnal cycle, and thus the part of the day in which any mental work you produce is going to be most difficult and most likely to be unusable bullshit anyway.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Edit: also, the reason for the 8-10 hours after wakeup thing is because that's a natural lull in most folks' diurnal cycle, and thus the part of the day in which any mental work you produce is going to be most difficult and most likely to be unusable bullshit anyway.

Well, that'll explain why my brain goes to mush around 2:00 on most days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Janson

Do some of your job hunting in a pleasant public space so that moments of frustration can be offset by laughing children and singing birds.

• Options
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

Really pissed poverty and life crisis kept me from performing proper maintenance

My problem is since people here have a very strange concept of value I have been looking for cars online.
    I just have no idea what I need or where I pick it up if I get one transported to me. There is no chance you could drive a trailer to my house so if we meet in a public area what do I need to pick it up? and so on

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I was not really prepared for how much job hunting would make me feel like curling up into a ball and waiting to die

all I can envision is never having money again and having to surrender the kids to the charge of their grandparents

and I can't relax because if I'm relaxing I'm not job hunting and any gaming or reading of books just causes feelings of guilt to wash over me like woah

During times when my wife and I have been job-hunting, we found it very helpful to treat that as your job, more or less. Wake up, do the stuff you need to in order to get your day started, have breakfast and coffee and stuff, and then work solidly on job hunting for 8 or 9 hours (presumably with a break for lunch somewhere in there). Then, stop, and do your evening stuff like dinner, family time, etc, and relax. You can also move the job-hunting chunk around if you'd rather do it at night, YMMV, but you really want to treat it the same way you would a job.

Not only are you unlikely to be too effective at actually finding new stuff after the 8/9 hour mark, your long-term ability to stay motivated to look for stuff (if it becomes a long search) and write good cover letters/edit your resume effectively willtake a substantial hit if you try to spend all the time you have looking for work (and you'll interview worse if you've run yourself ragged and you feel like shit). Keeping a balanced schedule of life, job-searching, and relaxation is vital to stay effective at it.

Yes, it can be hard to break yourself of the MUST ALWAYS BE LOOKING AAAAH mindset but enforcing these rules on yourself will cause that to eventually fall away and be far better and healther in the long run.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh, another thing to consider is leaving the house for the day and then coming back at night to reinforce the idea of job-hunting as job and not something to be done at all hours. My wife would go to Starbucks for 8 hours, job hunt and work and stuff, and then come home and chill out. It has the added benefit of putting you in an environment with fewer distractions. The obvious drawback is that you need a laptop you can bring with you and not everyone has access to that.

• Options
    If you have a university nearby, they've probably got great wifi and comfortable chairs in their library, with many convenient dining options for lunch!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    8 or 9 hours of job hunting a day seems... daunting. Mainly because I'm lucky if I see 1 or 2 jobs a day that I'm qualified for.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

My problem is since people here have a very strange concept of value I have been looking for cars online.
    I just have no idea what I need or where I pick it up if I get one transported to me. There is no chance you could drive a trailer to my house so if we meet in a public area what do I need to pick it up? and so on

I spent $5k, cash on the barrel (with tax, title and license) on a 2001 Ford Explorer about 9 years ago, a vehicle that has cost me approximately $3k in upkeep and repairs. Yeah, it's a not ideal, but if you can secure a loan from your bank for roughly the same amount for a vehicle that's not a total lemon, you can have a vehicle that lasts the better portion of a decade for less than a thousand dollars a year. I still drive that same vehicle today.

Granted, I worked like a fucking demon to pay off that bank loan in eight months as a bartender, but Your Mileage May Vary.

If you can scoop up a $3-$5K vehicle that doesn't break/destroy your budget for a few years, go for it, because the mobility afforded by that vehicle will get you better paying gigs and the freedom to interview elsewhere that isn't possible in Albuquerque.

• Options
    That's just fine, if you're hunting in a limited field. Although if the bills are worrying you, I can guarantee that you have a ready-made panic button in the form of Lowe's. They're going to be hiring seasonal workers like hell in about two weeks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    If you have a university nearby, they've probably got great wifi and comfortable chairs in their library, with many convenient dining options for lunch!

Are university libraries typically open to the public? I guess if it's one of the ones that's interspersed in a town/city that'd make sense, but sounds weird coming from a school where the campus was very much its own thing.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

I spent $5k, cash on the barrel (with tax, title and license) on a 2001 Ford Explorer about 9 years ago, a vehicle that has cost me approximately $3k in upkeep and repairs. Yeah, it's a not ideal, but if you can secure a loan from your bank for roughly the same amount for a vehicle that's not a total lemon, you can have a vehicle that lasts the better portion of a decade for less than a thousand dollars a year. I still drive that same vehicle today.

Granted, I worked like a fucking demon to pay off that bank loan in eight months as a bartender, but Your Mileage May Vary.

If you can scoop up a $3-$5K vehicle that doesn't break/destroy your budget for a few years, go for it, because the mobility afforded by that vehicle will get you better paying gigs and the freedom to interview elsewhere that isn't possible in Albuquerque.

Only 3k in repairs is damn good. Under $30 a month. Even with the cost of the vehicle included its under $75. That's a great cost/longevity number.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Thank you for the advice, everyone!

Having kids does complicate matters somewhat. Mainly that leaving to go somewhere isn't really an option, as lovely as sitting at Starbucks does sound.

It also somewhat restricts us because a full time job with benefits (medical/dental/vision at the very least) is kind of a necessity, at least for one of us!

As much as Mori's parents get on my nerves, at the same time we'd be lost without them. At least we know they can help look after the kids if/when we get jobs to start with. Knowing how dependent we are on them is also complicating matters - I'm so grateful but I also hate it!

• Options

Are university libraries typically open to the public? I guess if it's one of the ones that's interspersed in a town/city that'd make sense, but sounds weird coming from a school where the campus was very much its own thing.

State-funded universities almost always have libraries open to the public. That is, you can read books inside the library, use the wifi, and generally hang out, but the standards of behavior are generally significantly higher than a public library. Try not to look homeless. You may or may not be allowed to use the computers.

Private and for-profit colleges are more likely to run off people who don't look like students.

Community colleges are a mixed bag, but many of them provide free computer use to members of the community, especially for folks looking for jobs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

The sad fact is I am kind of flush with cash because I don't own a car and because I have been worked to death as of late it's just saved me from buying a lot of things
    I know the lack of a car the last two years has pretty much left me stuck in a 5m radius {as far as I am willing to ride a bike or walk}
    The bank really wants to talk to me about stuff since I went in for a car loan last year and got a survey about stuff instead?
    I feel 12k for a early 2000's truck with over 120k miles on it was rather pricy and I am still ashamed of the fact I could have gotten a car for $350 but in riding to the bank and back he had sold it so I had that cash with me for months as I spent it or many of the other cars I make fun of {like the 1987 chevy van that had a broken water pump/radiator he wanted 30k for! it had almost no seating and the carpet was missing
    Or the former greyhound bus someone has I walk past whom wants 4k for it since it needs a water pump {you need a cutting torch to get it off and you would have to make your own replacement]
    Or the shear number of cars lacking interior that I really thought about buying a heavy duty/industrial sewing machine and making my own since what choice do I have other than racing interiors?

I could rant about this for hours since I am quite stuck with a lack of choice and many questions in it

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    8 or 9 hours of job hunting a day seems... daunting. Mainly because I'm lucky if I see 1 or 2 jobs a day that I'm qualified for.

The times when I've been job hunting, I usually spend time each morning going through all the potential places where I might find a job. So as a teacher, the major job sites, the local districts, and the main private schools. Then I do whatever and hit them all again aroun 2 in the afternoon. And that's it. (Or at one point, a second pass for paralegal and secretarial jobs as weell.) And that can feel frustrating because you feel like you aren't doing enough, etc., etc., but that's just goosery that your brain tells you because bootstraps and the negativity of unemployment. But you will burn yourself out and undermine your confidence for no reason with that. There are only so many places to look, and once you've looked that day, maybe give your "general cover letter for tweaking" and resume a look over, and leave until the next day. You aren't doing yourself any favors by expecting more than that of yourself. It doesn't have to be 8 or 9 hours, but it does need to be specifically blocked time to spend job hunting and then no more job hunting that day the end. Let yourself relax and self care.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    *damaged front end
    *dying transmission
    *squeaky brakes

The sad fact is I am kind of flush with cash because I don't own a car and because I have been worked to death as of late it's just saved me from buying a lot of things
    I know the lack of a car the last two years has pretty much left me stuck in a 5m radius {as far as I am willing to ride a bike or walk}
    The bank really wants to talk to me about stuff since I went in for a car loan last year and got a survey about stuff instead?
    I feel 12k for a early 2000's truck with over 120k miles on it was rather pricy and I am still ashamed of the fact I could have gotten a car for $350 but in riding to the bank and back he had sold it so I had that cash with me for months as I spent it or many of the other cars I make fun of {like the 1987 chevy van that had a broken water pump/radiator he wanted 30k for! it had almost no seating and the carpet was missing
    Or the former greyhound bus someone has I walk past whom wants 4k for it since it needs a water pump {you need a cutting torch to get it off and you would have to make your own replacement]
    Or the shear number of cars lacking interior that I really thought about buying a heavy duty/industrial sewing machine and making my own since what choice do I have other than racing interiors?

I could rant about this for hours since I am quite stuck with a lack of choice and many questions in it

First:

$12k for anything over 120,000 miles is ludicrous. That's more than the mileage on my Explorer in 2009, a roughly ten-year-old-vehicle. It's now eighteen years old and 190k miles and still runs like a Swiss watch because I take it in for maintenance and oil changes as recommended. Aside from the $700 I spent on my thermostat housing recently due to metal fatigue, it's all been $100-$300 maintenance.

Second:

Your bank doesn't sound like a friend to you; start looking for credit unions in the area that aren't associated with WalMart.

Third:

If you have *ANYONE* that has time to take you on a tour of used car dealerships, buy them a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey or whatever a week beforehand; spending six or seven hours with my old roommate hunting for a proper vehicle was informative as well as a bonding experience.

• Options

That's a hard cap, not a minimum, for clarity.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Yeah sorry, I totally interpreted that wrong. The thought of just job hunting for 40 hours a week gives me chills.

• Options

Yeah sorry, I totally interpreted that wrong. The thought of just job hunting for 40 hours a week gives me chills.

I can't imagine finding jobs that fit your needs and qualifications enough that you could even sustain that, unless you were looking literally everywhere on earth.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Someone who's legit never had an office job before microwaved salmon.

I'm trying. Very. Hard. to keep the kid gloves on, because they're younger and legit didn't know any better

But it stiiiiiiiiinks

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

I'm trying. Very. Hard. to keep the kid gloves on, because they're younger and legit didn't know any better

But it stiiiiiiiiinks

This is a Teachable Moment.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

But it stiiiiiiiiinks

This is a Teachable Moment.

"well I don't think it smells"

"I understand what you're saying. You need to understand that what you are saying is factually untrue. It smells very bad."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Cold salmon is still very good, everyone.

Everyone should know this.

Tell everyone.

Tell the world.

Microwaves are only good for popcorn, ramen and Pizza Pops.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    And tea

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    And whatever because fuck it

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    And cod

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    And mildewy sponges

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Mildewy sponges are also a thing that taste good cold.

This discussion has been closed.