As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[California Politics] America's Hippie Commune

1363738394042»

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    2016 is the only really comparable primary, rather than 2018, since it was also an Open Seat (and the first one since 1992) versus one with an incumbent Senator

9r3mr306yt56.png

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Yes and? It's virtually identical.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I don’t think you can do a simple side by side comparison. You have to keep in mind that Garvey is a famous athlete and well known in the state. That alone is going to get him support in name recognition alone.

If you look at 2018, the top Dem candidate got 44% and the second place got 12, which isn’t all that different from what we saw between the top two Dem candidates this time as well. Also, in 2018 the GOP vote was pretty evenly distributed across several candidates, this time around Garvey sucked up most of the votes and the other Republicans came in between 1-3%

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Honestly, the strangest part to me about these kinds of "tactics", or just campaign spending on bullshit ads, is how often it works.

It's the most shallow of marketing principles, but it seems to gull enough people for it to matter.

Though I'm not sure it was a factor here.

I mean, if we're to accept the Porter argument that it mattered, it means at least 20% of those voting were influenced by these ads, in encouraging MAGAts to come out. If it'd been a couple points, maybe. But once it hit double digits, let alone near 20pts, I'm not thinking she wasn't going to finish higher than distant third, regardless.

Even I don't have that low an opinion of the average voter, and I have a very low opinion of the average voter. I mean, I do wonder how many people thought they were voting for the guy from Family Feud, and figure it's probably well into the five, if not low six figures. That's how low an opinion I have.

So if Garvey was going to be the nominee anyway, getting a jump on defining him makes sense. Much as Biden has been running against Trump since well before Haley dropped out.

• Options
    As always, if you are even LURKING in a single thread in this forum, you are more informed about the political situation in this country, and more active in it than a MASSIVE number of people, by light years. There are large numbers of people who just found out on Super Tuesday that 2024 was going to be Trump vs Biden again.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I don’t think you can do a simple side by side comparison. You have to keep in mind that Garvey is a famous athlete and well known in the state. That alone is going to get him support in name recognition alone.

If you look at 2018, the top Dem candidate got 44% and the second place got 12, which isn’t all that different from what we saw between the top two Dem candidates this time as well. Also, in 2018 the GOP vote was pretty evenly distributed across several candidates, this time around Garvey sucked up most of the votes and the other Republicans came in between 1-3%

I think this is the key thing, more than anything else. If the Republicans have one candidate, and Dems have a couple, it is probably going to look a little like this.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Honestly, I like Schiff, but if it wasn't for the impact on the country, I'd hope he lose to Garvey in this race just for the schadenfreude.

Hard pass on a Republican senator, thank you.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    To be clear, my point was only that Porter is not a crazy person or anything. Her allegations are about something that's been seen before and looks exactly like what we saw and no one I saw actually reporting on her complaints before the election seemed to doubt what she was saying was occurring. It's a thing that happened. The only question is what the degree of the effect was.

And also I guess, maybe we shouldn't be throwing around "rigged" about elections right now.

shryke on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Honestly, I like Schiff, but if it wasn't for the impact on the country, I'd hope he lose to Garvey in this race just for the schadenfreude.

Yeah like what? You are so upset you want bad things to happen to everyone else? Like this is a super childish notion.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah like what? You are so upset you want bad things to happen to everyone else? Like this is a super childish notion.

"but if it wasn't for the impact on the country", its right there.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Y'all still doing propositions during primaries? I
    thought they got rid of that option a while back.

Fucking trying to pass statewide ballot initiatives when you know the turnout is like 20% at best.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Guess what California city banned pride flags at government buildings!!

Here's a hint: they're the woooooooooooooooooooooorst.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Huntington Beach, proudly awful since at least 2020.

• Options

So a fucking fantasy universe. "You know if Gandalf was real I'd be ok with some Orcs holding city council positions."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    To be clear, my point was only that Porter is not a crazy person or anything. Her allegations are about something that's been seen before and looks exactly like what we saw and no one I saw actually reporting on her complaints before the election seemed to doubt what she was saying was occurring. It's a thing that happened. The only question is what the degree of the effect was.

And also I guess, maybe we shouldn't be throwing around "rigged" about elections right now.

Yeah I get where she’s coming from and in a way she’s not at all wrong

Like it’s shitty etc but otoh it’s business as usual

Doesn’t mean it’s right

But this is not new

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options

Huntington Beach, proudly awful since at least 2020.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-how-orange-county-incubated-141411051/

I like to ART
  • Options
    Ok yeah my first thought was going to be Placerville or Roseville given the level of MAGA/Q/PB adjacent people out there but OC definitely doesn’t surprise me

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    Yes and?

Good data is gooder than bad data

moniker on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Ok yeah my first thought was going to be Placerville or Roseville given the level of MAGA/Q/PB adjacent people out there but OC definitely doesn’t surprise me

I was thinking somewhere in like... Sisikyou county. But yeah, this makes sense too.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

So a fucking fantasy universe. "You know if Gandalf was real I'd be ok with some Orcs holding city council positions."

No one was under the impression it was reality.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular

Ehhhh, kinda misleading. They banned ALL flags (except USA and California flags). I'm fine with that. I don't need MAGA flags on government buildings either.

• Options

Ehhhh, kinda misleading. They banned ALL flags (except USA and California flags). I'm fine with that. I don't need MAGA flags on government buildings either.

Did it also ban the POW/MIA flag?

I like to ART
  • Options

The heck is up with you? This is a dramatic overreaction to me saying "I dislike that he did this thing and I would find it amusing if he was hoist on his own petard, EXCEPT it will hurt everyone else". That you can even find a way to get upset about that statement is mind boggling.

• Options

The heck is up with you? This is a dramatic overreaction to me saying "I dislike that he did this thing and I would find it amusing if he was hoist on his own petard, EXCEPT it will hurt everyone else". That you can even find a way to get upset about that statement is mind boggling.

Because its a stupid line of thought, literally childish. Do better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Im sure youve never expressed a desire for something you know wouldnt be possible or practical.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Eh, "what this guy did was kinda shitty, I wish there was some sort of schadenfreude that could occur without fucking the country" is like the most benign of rhetorical tumors.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

Eh, "what this guy did was kinda shitty, I wish there was some sort of schadenfreude that could occur without fucking the country" is like the most benign of rhetorical tumors.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

I was thinking somewhere in like... Sisikyou county. But yeah, this makes sense too.

There are definitely shittier towns in the more Deliverance-y parts of the state - my ex had family in some of them - but OC probably has the shittiest people for a burg with an appreciable number of people.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

There are definitely shittier towns in the more Deliverance-y parts of the state - my ex had family in some of them - but OC probably has the shittiest people for a burg with an appreciable number of people.

Georgetown for example!!

You can taste the incest

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Georgetown for example!!

You can taste the incest

Who you been licking?

• Options
    I mean presumably his cousin.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Roll tide

• Options

I don't know if I pissed in your cheerios somewhere else on the forum, and apologies if I did, but this reaction is so far out of line with what I said, especially with what's said generally daily on this forum I LITERALLY do not know what's going on with you here. If you have a further issue, I'll take it on in DMs to sort it out.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

No...
    the only flags to be displayed by the City on City property are the United States Flag, the State of California Flag, the County of Orange Flag, the City of Huntington Beach Flag, the POW-MIA Flag, the six Armed Forces Flags, the Olympic Flag during the Summer Olympic Games, and any other flag if authorized by a unanimous vote of the City Council,

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 8

No...
    the only flags to be displayed by the City on City property are the United States Flag, the State of California Flag, the County of Orange Flag, the City of Huntington Beach Flag, the POW-MIA Flag, the six Armed Forces Flags, the Olympic Flag during the Summer Olympic Games, and any other flag if authorized by a unanimous vote of the City Council,

Man, someone must really have a bone to pick with ice-skating.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Idk if its the same in California but that POW-MIA flag is a huge "50 year old weirdo lived here" banner here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    Raiden333 wrote: »

No...

Man, someone must really have a bone to pick with ice-skating.

I know you’re joking, but in case anybody isn’t aware it’s almost certainly because the 2028 summer games are in LA.

Also never discount the reactionary right wing bullshit in basically any beach community. Many of them are perceived as having a liberal/hippie/surf bum vibe, but that’s just like the actual main strip by the sand. Go into the neighborhoods themselves and you’re dealing with people living in multimillion dollar properties who vote accordingly.

Source: Everybody joking that my neighborhood is full of hippies and potheads despite my one neighbor flying a Trump flag nonstop since 2020 and my other neighbor being shot to death wearing a Trump flag as a cape and trying to storm the U.S. Capitol building.

So liberal.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Prop 1 has passed. And by passed I mean squeaked through by a margin as thick as an eyelash.

aTBDrQE.jpg