As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It'd be really funny to see him and Harper in the same OF.

I wonder if Harper being so blatant about wanting to play with Mike spurred the Angels to get a deal done faster.

In any event, I don't expect Trout to finish that contract in Anaheim.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    It'd be really funny to see him and Harper in the same OF.

I wonder if Harper being so blatant about wanting to play with Mike spurred the Angels to get a deal done faster.

In any event, I don't expect Trout to finish that contract in Anaheim.

The Angels have been talking about an extension since last year. The thing that spurred them on was the fact that he is Mike Trout.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh, so that’s what Mike Trout looks like.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Alright, @Goose! I picked up Joey Wendle in my money league. He'll probably be a back-up for most of the season since I managed Jose Ramirez at 3B and Whit Merrifield at 2B, but I'm glad I got him to back both positions and could end up slotting him in at the utility spot if I somehow end up needing more speed later.

What are people expecting from Jean Segura this year? I got him for $10 less in our auction than I did last year, which seems crazy to me with the move to Philly and everyone they've added. I know SS is deeper this year, but not by that much.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5933&position=SS Steamer is usually seen as one of the better projection systems and has him at 2.2 Off WAR with 14 HR/20 SB, but kinda subpar RBI (and Runs are just good not great). Steamer can often project conservatively, though.

Goose! on
  • Options
    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5933&position=SS Steamer is usually seen as one of the better projection systems and has him at 2.2 Off WAR with 14 HR/20 SB, but kinda subpar RBI (and Runs are just good not great). Steamer can often project conservatively, though.

Hmm. I guess the main issue is that I don't see him scoring only 81 runs hitting second in the Philly lineup. I'm expecting closer to 100.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    you should expect anyone that goes to the phillies to have their sb totals go down.

Kapler doesnt send the runner.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    NOON CENTRAL

Yankees vs Orioles

Mets vs Nationals

The season begins today

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Trying to watch Dodgers/Diamondbacks on ESPN because I already pay for cable and don't want to add an MLB.tv sub to that, but every time I look away the video player resets back to the beginning of the game.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    watching Chris Sale get owned last night was incredibly good

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Trying to watch Dodgers/Diamondbacks on ESPN because I already pay for cable and don't want to add an MLB.tv sub to that, but every time I look away the video player resets back to the beginning of the game.

mlb.tv still would have blacked out this game, i think.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its so weird having matt vasgersian do national commentary (espn) because even though i know his history, i still just think of him as "fictitious baseball announcer for MLB The Show"

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Angels injury woes are already starting. Was nice seeing Peter Bourjos back in an Angels uniform and having a good spring but he's going to be playing a lot more left field than expected with Justin Upton out 8 to 12 weeks after stubbing his toe at the end of spring training.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Should have been Yakety Sax

• Options
    i missed baseball pretty much entirely last year

caught a few rays game so far and the Rays look sneaky good. Snell is... a real ace. Although I worry that he's a bit of a small guy since the Rays have a recent history of just chewing through those guys

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Pellaeon wrote: »

He's...not the only problem in this clip, but they've got a rookie starting in left against lefties, and he fucks up three times in that clip. I can't believe they think Schwarber is bad enough against lefties that this is what they think is the better option

anyways at least they didn't blow a four run lead this time!

• Options
    AL West is basically bizarro town right now, other than the Angels being hot trash as expected.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    everyone will be pleased to note that the Cubs recorded another error on the first play of tonight's game and also kyle schwarber was caught stealing in an apparent missed hit and run play

• Options
    ...well, the Cubs don't have to worry about figuring out who the closer is if the bullpen keeps blowing leads before it matters

• Options
    This is the year that the Rays are going to get the mega shifts banned

I can feel it already

Also who is Ji-Man Choi??? what was his career in Korea? This guy seems like a great hitter with limited MLB time

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Also who is Ji-Man Choi??? what was his career in Korea? This guy seems like a great hitter with limited MLB time

Looks like he never actually played in the Korean league... Drafted by Seattle in 2010, and spent time in the minors before coming up in 2016 with the Angels.

Strange that he didn't play in the KBO at all.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

Looks like he never actually played in the Korean league... Drafted by Seattle in 2010, and spent time in the minors before coming up in 2016 with the Angels.

Strange that he didn't play in the KBO at all.

hmm yeah. looks like this is his first big break. I'm really impressed with what I see

Having missed most of the last two years of MLB I am SHOCKED and pleased to discover that the Rays have decided to create a competent lineup

• Options
    It will be another hundred years before the Cubs taste success again. Better to accept it now than get back into the "wait until next year" mindframe.

• Options
    Kimbrel is out there. Just hanging out

• Options
    I think I tuned into that game for the bottom of the 7th, and the Cubs were up by 4 or 5... I'm pretty sure my first thought was, "Oh yeah, they are going to lose this one..."

• Options
    Kimbrel is out there. Just hanging out

I don't think he's ready to go yet, but yeah, someone should...hire him

• Options
    Was it the expectation that Seattle we're going to be good? They are scoring a boat load of runs so far this season.

• Options
    The expectation was that Seattle was going to tank, actually

• Options
    Dallas Keuchel is still waiting for a job as well. Keep hoping the Angels snag him since they really need the starting pitching help.

Trout is on fire since getting back to Anaheim, but they have him batting in the lineup between .154 and .074 filler players. Is this what I should expect with Ausmus at the helm?

(She/Her)
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Dallas Keuchel is still waiting for a job as well. Keep hoping the Angels snag him since they really need the starting pitching help.

Trout is on fire since getting back to Anaheim, but they have him batting in the lineup between .154 and .074 filler players. Is this what I should expect with Ausmus at the helm?

The Angels were essentially going to punt on this season already, because they have a host of top-level guys who are close to getting called up. If they were competitive, it would have been nice, but they already had the biggest signing of the offseason, so they're fine.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Trout has now hit 5 homeruns in the past 4 games.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

A “no women admitted” sign in the Wrigley Field press box that was intended to “illustrate and acknowledge” the past is now history after some viewed it as a tone-deaf moment for the Cubs.

Wrigley Field debuted a variety of new features at the Cubs’ home opener Monday, including a new art collection of old press credentials in the stairway leading to the press box. One of the signs was a credential from 1945 that read: “No women admitted.”

Many fans took to Twitter, calling the image insensitive. After the swift backlash, the Cubs removed it before first pitch and replaced it with a photo of the bleachers from a Cubs “Pink Out” game.

Cubs spokesman Julian Green said the initial intent of the image was to acknowledge “how far we have come, one as — not specific to the Cubs — as a society and the free press in terms of women and people of color who were not able to have a place in the press box.”

Green couldn’t explain who signed off on the art installation, which was installed late Sunday night.

Cubs business president Crane Kenney recognized the image when showed on an iPhone as the “Pink Poodle” credential. But he refused to comment on it, saying he couldn’t read the “no women admitted” text because he didn’t have his glasses. At Kenney’s request, the picture has been emailed to him, but he did not immediately respond.

• Options
    Nothing says look how far we come like putting up an old sign without providing any of the context you provided in your comment and just assuming people will get it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Cubs business president Crane Kenney recognized the image when showed on an iPhone as the “Pink Poodle” credential. But he refused to comment on it, saying he couldn’t read the “no women admitted” text because he didn’t have his glasses. At Kenney’s request, the picture has been emailed to him, but he did not immediately respond.

Is Crane Kenney my grandma.

admanb on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    ESPN wrote:
    The Trump administration scuttled Major League Baseball's historic agreement with the Cuban Baseball Federation, arguing that the sport's governing body is part of the Cuban government and that the agreement violates United States trade law.

In December, MLB and the MLB Players Association announced an agreement with the Cuban federation similar to those for players under contract to clubs in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan -- one the league believed would end the defection of players and erase the human trafficking of Cuban players that has become the standard as they attempt to join MLB.

The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control sent a letter to MLB on Friday that said "payments to the Cuban Baseball Federation are not authorized ... because a payment to the Cuban Baseball Federation is a payment to the Cuban government."

The letter, obtained by ESPN, underscored the reversal of a President Barack Obama-era policy that intended to soften relations between the U.S. and Cuba.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I have finally fallen down an OOTP hole. I wish that we had enough people on here to run a league.

This discussion has been closed.