Options

The Mueller Investigation Thread - in which Rudy Guiliani talks about obstruction

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I've been reading about the Mayflower situation for so long on Twitter that this is landing with the weight of a feather. I'm glad it's out there "officially," but I really can't figure out if this is the first mainstream mention of Mueller looking into it. I've been assuming it as fact.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-tells-aides-not-talk-publicly-about-russia-policy-moves-n861256
    A now familiar back-and-forth also played out behind the scenes over Trump's decision two weeks ago to levy new sanctions against Russia in response to Moscow's 2016 election meddling and costly worldwide cyberattack last year.

One official involved in the discussions said Trump pushed back on the sanctions proposals by saying Russia's meddling didn't affect the election, but began to relent after Putin's boast about nuclear weapons.

Andrew McCabe now has a Gofundme for his legal defense fund because it is 2018.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Freelancer journalist for the Atlantic and NBC news.
    Prosecutors told Gates they didn’t need his cooperation against Manafort—they wanted to know what he knows about collusion.
    This confirms some things. First, as stated the Gates plea has shit-all to do with getting Manafort - it's about Trump and the collusion. Which, second, means that Gates wasn't some "coffee boy / low level" staff member, as the White House has insisted. Shit's pretty real.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think only DC pundits who want to pretend this is not a fundamental crisis for the country believe anything else?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Prosecutors told Gates they didn’t need his cooperation against Manafort—they wanted to know what he knows about collusion.
    This confirms some things. First, as stated the Gates plea has shit-all to do with getting Manafort - it's about Trump and the collusion. Which, second, means that Gates wasn't some "coffee boy / low level" staff member, as the White House has insisted. Shit's pretty real.

I also like how they feel their Manafort case is airtight

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised in if they haven't even offered Manafort a deal.

Just let him feel the weight of it all and see if he gets desperate before getting put away forever.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised in if they haven't even offered Manafort a deal.

Just let him feel the weight of it all and see if he gets desperate before getting put away forever.
    I imagine after sentencing he will try to make a deal and not realize that moment has passed.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I mean even the judge at Manafort's bail hearing thought it strong enough to say Manafort is very likely to spend the rest of his life in jail.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I mean even the judge at Manafort's bail hearing thought it strong enough to say Manafort is very likely to spend the rest of his life in jail.

436 years worth if I recall correctly.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    McCabe's gofundme has already passed its goal of raising $250,000.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What lawyer wouldn't take that case?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »

The fact that he even has one kind of skeeves me out, though.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I'm curious as to why?

Suing the government isn't cheap, and while I have no idea what his personal finances are, if he was super concerned about getting is $55k/yr retirement now instead of waiting until he is 62 (which is my understanding of what happened; he didn't lose his pension, just the nature of his firing means he can't access it until a normal retirement age instead of immediate access he would have had), there's a decent chance he's not just casually sitting around on a pile of cash to pay for it.

But maybe I'm missing something? Is there something shady about it?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People are weird about money.

The truth is that he really has few other options if he wants to maintain his own integrity and not bankrupt his family in the process. There is no expectation that he would recoup any costs in a lawsuit. If someone took it pro bono then the suit would be spun as a partisan hack job. Doubly so if someone else paid for his bills by themselves.

So what is left for him but to ask people to individually contribute if they believe in his cause?

Donald Trump is a living example of why many of the asinine social rules we have around money only serve to benefit those who have it in the first place. Because many of them only apply poor people (or more specifically, the ways poor people use money). Much like how "all debt is bad" is hilariously untrue for rich people (whose means of income largely derive from obtaining loans on ever-growing collateral).

Trump would sue McCabe into abject poverty if he had the chance, regardless of the merits of his cases. The only way for a normal person, especially one with integrity, to fight back, is to ask for help.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that nobody objects to him asking for help.

They are objecting to the reason he is asking for help. The whole being fired two days before retirement for petty political reasons thing.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Pretty sure that nobody objects to him asking for help.

They are objecting to the reason he is asking for help. The whole being fired two days before retirement for petty political reasons thing.

That's fair enough, but I guess I would say the fact he has to have one at all is what "skeeves me out". When I read someone saying that it skeeves them out that he has one, it takes on a different meaning to me.

Which is why I asked the question; I genuinely want to know if there's something else here that I'm missing, that makes it more questionable or problematic that he's seeking help. Otherwise my take is basically what Inquisitor said. Someone asking for help is a good thing, and our cultures perspective on money is beyond fucked up.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Pretty much every that happens related to this fucking administration skeeves me out, so this seems fitting.

But yeah, I have no problem with the guy getting help paying his legal bills to fight the grand poobah of all bullies in court.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I'm curious as to why?

Suing the government isn't cheap, and while I have no idea what his personal finances are, if he was super concerned about getting is $55k/yr retirement now instead of waiting until he is 62 (which is my understanding of what happened; he didn't lose his pension, just the nature of his firing means he can't access it until a normal retirement age instead of immediate access he would have had), there's a decent chance he's not just casually sitting around on a pile of cash to pay for it.

It's somewhat cashing in on celebrity that isn't available to, say, the staffer that was retaliated against by Ben Carson for not wanting to spend over statutory maximums for furniture and is suing. A staffer who made significantly less than Deputy Director ~SES paygrade.

Maybe union protection balances it out somewhat, but at the same time he knows plenty of good lawyers from the crowd he lives in. One of their AmLaw 100 firms could do this Pro Bono.

moniker on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I'm curious as to why?

It's somewhat cashing in on celebrity that isn't available to, say, the staffer that was retaliated against by Ben Carson for not wanting to spend over statutory maximums for furniture and is suing. A staffer who made significantly less than Deputy Director ~SES paygrade.

Maybe union protection balances it out somewhat, but at the same time he knows plenty of good lawyers ufrom the crowd he lives in. One of their AmLaw 100 firms could do this Pro Bono.

It is not a competition. McCabe needs help. That staffer needs help. I will not begrudge one for leveraging resources the other does not have.

This is another example of the cultural divide between rich and not-rich. For some reason rich people have no problem taking advantage of every leg up they have, including social favors. But somehow the rest of us are supposed to get by on our bootstraps in a make-believe meritocracy.

• Options

I'm curious as to why?

Maybe union protection balances it out somewhat, but at the same time he knows plenty of good lawyers from the crowd he lives in. One of their AmLaw 100 firms could do this Pro Bono.
    That is insanely cynical. There are a lot of anonymous peoples who have GoFundMes for legal and medical expenses, and their goals get met. Yes, McCabe is a higher profile person, but he is literally entering a legal battle with the government. A huge part of legal battles is the financial attrition. On top of that, he's fighting a corrupt government (and in a way its propaganda arms in the media & internet).

So yeah I have no problem with this.

• Options
    What should skeeve us out is the implication that only the wealthy have access to the justice system.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah we wouldn't dare wanna give that impression

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I'm curious as to why?

Maybe union protection balances it out somewhat, but at the same time he knows plenty of good lawyers ufrom the crowd he lives in. One of their AmLaw 100 firms could do this Pro Bono.

It is not a competition. McCabe needs help. That staffer needs help. I will not begrudge one for leveraging resources the other does not have.

This is another example of the cultural divide between rich and not-rich. For some reason rich people have no problem taking advantage of every leg up they have, including social favors. But somehow the rest of us are supposed to get by on our bootstraps in a make-believe meritocracy.

I don't want this to spiral into defining "rich" versus not, but Deputy Director of the FBI earns an SES salary that puts him in the top ~5%. Asking me, further down the payscale, to give him $20 rather than going for a Pro Bono filing.

This is also a bog standard ERISA / retaliation lawsuit, not trying to force the EPA to enforce clean water requirements on waterway easements adjacent to a chemical plant or something with highly technical requirements. It's slightly more complicated than basic discovery.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I'm curious as to why?

I don't want this to spiral into defining "rich" versus not, but Deputy Director of the FBI earns an SES salary that puts him in the top ~5%. Asking me, further down the payscale, to give him $20 rather than going for a Pro Bono filing.

This is also a bog standard ERISA / retaliation lawsuit, not trying to force the EPA to enforce clean water requirements on waterway easements adjacent to a chemical plant or something with highly technical requirements. It's slightly more complicated than basic discovery.

It's also an insanely politicised case, and the Attorney General was personally involved as well as Trump. A defeat would be a public humiliation for the Trump administration as a whole, and a time when the whole tower of blocks is tottering pretty unsteadily already.

I'm going to go ahead and say yeah, this might be just end up being a smidgen harder than "basic discovery".

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Data analysis firm Fathom put together an infographic showing all the links in the investigation and how they tie together. They call it an Outline for a Dostoyevsky Novel.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Data analysis firm Fathom put together an infographic showing all the links in the investigation and how they tie together. They call it an Outline for a Dostoyevsky Novel.
    Telling that it’s not a Tom Clancy novel.

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Telling that it’s not a Tom Clancy novel.

In a Clancy novel, America always wins.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

And raising that dough, just shy of half a million right now. That's kinda hilarious but unsurprising given the hearts that I've seen being spewed at our honorable FBI agents for the past year. People love the Bureau.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Seems more like a hate reaction.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I hope theres also a little "you don't fuck with a man's pension" anger too.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm down with this, if only to see Trump's see some comeuppance for an incredibly petty move.

Though I thought I heard that McCabe could have just taken a position with another government agency (A congressman was talking about hiring him) for a couple days and be able to get his pension.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I'm curious as to why?

It just goes to show how unimaginably far above* us the ultra-rich are compared to the "merely" rich.

*debated using "above," but hell, they are above us in every way except having earned it.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I don't think this is just about fighting over the pension, imo.

This is going to be a fight he takes against the smear campaign by the administration to discredit him in the investigation into serious fucking shit.

I can see why people would want to support it? Their money.

edit: clarity from the gofundme page itself:
    Please note: Mr. McCabe and his team are working to gain clarity around the lasting impact his firing – 26 hours before his planned retirement – will have on the pension and healthcare benefits he earned over his two decades of service to the FBI. However, no funds raised for the Andrew McCabe Legal Defense Fund will be used for anything beyond his defense of the allegations against him. He will continue to fight for the pension and benefits he deserves, rather than accept any crowdfunding for that purpose. Following the conclusion of any related legal proceedings, any funds that remain in the Legal Defense Fund will be donated to charitable organizations of the McCabes’ choosing.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    I don't think this is just about fighting over the pension, imo.

This is going to be a fight he takes against the smear campaign by the administration to discredit him in the investigation into serious fucking shit.

I can see why people would want to support it? Their money.

In fact, the GoFundMe specifically calls out (if I'm reading it correctly) that the GFM funds are reserved for a legal defense, while the pension stuff will be paid for out of McCabe's own pocket.

Of course, "money, fungible" is the new "cocks, dicks, LOL" but that's at least how McCabe is framing it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The Guardian: FBI questions Ted Malloch, Trump campaign figure and Farage ally
    A controversial London-based academic with close ties to Nigel Farage has been detained by the FBI upon arrival in the US and issued a subpoena to testify before Robert Mueller, the special counsel who is investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.

Ted Malloch, an American touted last year as a possible candidate to serve as US ambassador to the EU, said he was interrogated by the FBI at Boston’s Logan airport on Wednesday following a flight from London and questioned about his involvement in the Trump campaign.

In a statement sent to the Guardian, Malloch, who described himself as a policy wonk and defender of Trump, said the FBI also asked him about his relationship with Roger Stone, the Republican strategist, and whether he had ever visited the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where the Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has resided for nearly six years.

In a detailed statement about the experience, which he described as bewildering and intimidating at times, Malloch said the federal agents who stopped him and separated him from his wife “seemed to know everything about me” and warned him that lying to the FBI was a felony. In the statement Malloch denied having any Russia contacts.

I would bet money this dude actually does have Russian contacts he thinks Mueller doesn't know about.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    That dude is SUPER anti-semitic and anti-EU (it's a "globalist" conspiracy!). Naturally Trump wanted to make him ambassador to... the EU.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I don't think I would have the will power for this, soon as I found that a conspiracy theorist was part of the conspiracy I would be mailing cats to every pigeon fancying society I could find, signing it all off with "regards, Lizardpeople".

How in the name of all that is holy, do you let people like this into your inner circle? An actual conspiracy theorist into a global conspiracy with a ton of untrustworthy actors?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I don't think I would have the will power for this, soon as I found that a conspiracy theorist was part of the conspiracy I would be mailing cats to every pigeon fancying society I could find, signing it all off with "regards, Lizardpeople".

How in the name of all that is holy, do you let people like this into your inner circle? An actual conspiracy theorist into a global conspiracy with a ton of untrustworthy actors?

When they're talking about "globalist" conspiracies it's nowhere near as complex as aliens-and-illuminati level stuff.

When someone on the American right is complaining about "globalists," they mean "Jews," and that attitude's pretty much never met with any kind of real pushback in the last century or two.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Here’s something to keep an eye on. This is from CNN’s crime and justice reporter.

Nikulin was arrested in the Czech Republic back when Comey was in charge of the FBI, and efforts have been made to extradite him to the US ever since. It looks like they were successful.

*edit* I HAD thought CNN identified this guy as Guccifer 2.0, but they didn’t. Someone replying to them did, and they were wrong.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Here’s something to keep an eye on. This is from CNN’s crime and justice reporter.

Nikulin was arrested in the Czech Republic back when Comey was in charge of the FBI, and efforts have been made to extradite him to the US ever since. It looks like they were successful.

Nikulin is suspected by the FBI of being the infamous “Guccifer 2.0” - the guy who hacked the DNC, among many other crimes.

Is he GRU or ex-GRU?

This discussion has been closed.