Options

The Mueller Investigation Thread - in which Rudy Guiliani talks about obstruction

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    wonder if he'll get pardoned

alternately, if that's what people are getting, so what? People get worse for DWIs

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sentencing guidelines for the crime of lying to federal investigators are 0-6 months, so he got the lighter end of a sentence.

Van der Zwaan probably knows something that is helping Mueller but what exactly that is is a tightly guarded secret. It's still unclear if and how he is connected to the Trump campaign.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I can’t find the article, but he has access to info that is not readily available to the public. Apparently he “waived his FOIA” rights as part of an agreement? It sounded like the reasoning was that it would compromise info if certain things came to light as part of a FOIA request due to the nature of the information. It read like “there is info that can ruin some of our investigation if it were to be made publicly available.”

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Sentencing guidelines for the crime of lying to federal investigators are 0-6 months, so he got the lighter end of a sentence.

Van der Zwaan probably knows something that is helping Mueller but what exactly that is is a tightly guarded secret. It's still unclear if and how he is connected to the Trump campaign.

To be clear, the formula for sentencing guidelines is more complicated than that, factoring in the defendant's criminal history and other aggravating/mitigating factors.

The statute itself allows for a sentence of up to 5 years. Though 30 days sounds like a slap on the wrist, the fact that there's any kind of custodial sentence in this case at all is significant. For a cooperator with no criminal history and a non-violent crime it wouldn't be unusual for the guy to just get probation.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

He is specifically NOT helping the investigation. He refused to, and his explanation for "why" he lied is shady and bullshitty as fuck. So him only getting 30 days, as a fucking lawyer himself to super duper doubly should have known better and the implications, is complete bullshit.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

alternately, if that's what people are getting, so what? People get worse for DWIs

This is the 'cooperated with the FBI' sentence, isn't it?

Manafort sure as hell is getting hit with a lot more

edit: disregard post, nothing to see here

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

People get worse for having recreational amounts of weed but comparing sentencing for white collar crimes vs all other crimes is a wacky rabbit hole we shouldn’t go down in this thread

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

He is specifically NOT helping the investigation. He refused to, and his explanation for "why" he lied is shady and bullshitty as fuck. So him only getting 30 days, as a fucking lawyer himself to super duper doubly should have known better and the implications, is complete bullshit.

Can you cite that? I was under the impression he plead guilty and is helping

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular

People get worse for having recreational amounts of weed but comparing sentencing for white collar crimes vs all other crimes is a wacky rabbit hole we shouldn’t go down in this thread

Also, from what I read, this was for a relatively minor lie that he voluntarily corrected later. Van der Zwaan's wife is also six months pregnant, and the defense requested no jail time because of that along with the other mitigating factors (first offense, voluntary correction, guilty plea, etc). The prosecutors requested that the judge issue "some" jail time as part of the sentence, likely to show that they were serious about the whole thing, as it wouldn't be uncommon for this type of case to result in no jail time.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah, RTÉ are reporting he got 30 days as part of a plea deal. You don’t get those without the prosecutor being on board.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

alternately, if that's what people are getting, so what? People get worse for DWIs poor people crimes

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah, RTÉ are reporting he got 30 days as part of a plea deal. You don’t get those without the prosecutor being on board.

He plead guilty, but he is not helping.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Yes, that tangent is off topic.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    edit: not yet, need better sourcing.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I’m not particularly bloodthirsty regarding sentencing. I think it’s unbecoming and kind of weird considering that hypercarceal frothing is exactly the ridiculousness that progressives should be wary to embrace. I really only care about one particular person getting the book thrown at them and even then I’m unsure it will happen. But at least the investigation seems to be moving forward and is a real thing with actual prosecutorial power.

• Options
    The total time he could be sentenced to was just 6 months. I think 1 month is just way too light. At least 2 months in my opinion, though I'd have liked to have seen 3.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I’m fine with people cutting deals for low sentences. But ultimately what happened here is one of the most serious crimes in American history, and in order to effectively deter things like this from happening, the punishments must be commensurate with how difficult it is to get a group of people who are pretty much above the law to a sentencing hearing in the first place. They all said to themselves, we’ll never get caught, and so if we do catch them the price needs to be super serious. I don’t think there’s any sentence below the death penalty I would truly think was too extreme for what is essentially a conspiracy to commit treason.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Mueller can still bring future charges for future contempt or future perjury, right?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    This is also not a conviction for underlying crimes he might have done.

He is still open to that if he actually was part of anything.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Plus he has a coviction of a fellony. This is not just lost job territory it is find a new carreer territory.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The total time he could be sentenced to was just 6 months. I think 1 month is just way too light. At least 2 months in my opinion, though I'd have liked to have seen 3.

What I've seen this sentence is a mix of heavier than normal as well as lighter than normal.

Jail time for a first offense is typically zero but with a couple years supervised release. He got a month of jail but only two months of supervised release. At the end of which he'll be deported and barred from reentry.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I’m fine with people cutting deals for low sentences. But ultimately what happened here is one of the most serious crimes in American history, and in order to effectively deter things like this from happening, the punishments must be commensurate with how difficult it is to get a group of people who are pretty much above the law to a sentencing hearing in the first place. They all said to themselves, we’ll never get caught, and so if we do catch them the price needs to be super serious. I don’t think there’s any sentence below the death penalty I would truly think was too extreme for what is essentially a conspiracy to commit treason.
    None of that has been demonstrated in the court of law. No one has been charged with treason.

• Options
    It is basically treason and they are clearly guilty, but obviously if they’re not guilty they’ll never get to be sentenced to a term I will or will not agree with, so it doesn’t really matter

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It is basically treason and they are clearly guilty, but obviously if they’re not guilty they’ll never get to be sentenced to a term I will or will not agree with, so it doesn’t really matter

You realize this guy literally can't be guilty of that because he's not American?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Treason is the only crime defined by the Constitution. I would hesitate to throw that charge around. Even if something is espionage by a US citizen against the us government it may not meet the definition of treason.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

So the guy in question, the one who was just sentenced? I can say 1000% it wasn't treason. Because he's not a US citizen.

Whatever enormous crimes happened we still need to convict and sentence folks for things they actually did. Facts and actual laws still matter, at least to me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The definition of treason has happened here before, gone on for pages and pages and never concluded.

It either is or isn't treason (whatever that might be defined as), "basically" treason isn't something that exists or would effect sentencing; and whether it is or isn't actually treason will be determined by the investigation and/or any other investigations that might be produced by it.

We can desire whatever outcome we personally want, but as of now we're still all at the mercy of whatever happens with the investigation.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Before we get too frothy here, let's remember that not everyone in this circus is "guilty of conspiracy to commit treason." Not every lie is equal, not every deleted email is equal, and not every player is equal.

If Manafort gets 30 days and a twenty grand fine, then I'll cue up the outrage symphony. But this is a minor player who told a minor lie and received a minor punishment. Will this kind of punishment deter the next van der Zwaan? Probably. Would it deter a Kushner? No, but it wasn't a Kushner who just got sentenced.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

You realize this guy literally can't be guilty of that because he's not American?

Like half a page up I said I’m fine with this guy getting off light as a cooperating witness. I was responding to the general idea that it doesn’t matter if the Americans in this investigation get light sentences.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And a reminder, most of the people convicted in watergate only ended up serving less than a year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Plus he has a coviction of a fellony. This is not just lost job territory it is find a new carreer territory.

He lied to his firm. He was already completely radioactive.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

"It's basically treason and they're clearly guilty" is some dark as fuck thinking.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The endless arguments over the specific constitutional definition of treason are pointless and silly. There is no technical crime called "collusion" either but when someone says "they are guilty of collusion", everyone knows what you mean. Same shit with treason.

When people say treason they mean "whatever the specifically legal charge is for the crimes people colloquially call treason".. You can call that treason and we all know what it means without getting pedantic.

These people are all clearly flagrantly guilty of a ton of crimes, including some of them conspiring with a foreign government to win the election is the basic point here. Mueller isn't an idiot, I'm sure he knows what specific charges that ends up being under the law.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The problem there is people colloquially call all manner of things treason. If it can be stretched to include people who have no claimed or expected loyalty to the US government it's devoid of use.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    And a reminder, most of the people convicted in watergate only ended up serving less than a year

Perhaps one reason history has been able to repeat itself!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    "increasing punishments will stop crimes" is illiberal nonsense even when we really dislike the people who are being shitty.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "increasing punishments will stop crimes" is illiberal nonsense even when we really dislike the people who are being shitty.

Actively enforcing laws and providing appropriate punishment shouldn't be beyond the pale.

I don't think anyone here expects them to have been drawn and quartered, but when people go to jail for decades over a little weed or even a mid tier serious crime, the slap on the wrist (or literally zero punishment whatsoever) that occurred during that clusterfuck already has set a precedent that continues to have effects felt to this day.

If Mueller's investigation ends and he has a list of people and crimes so long that it looks like a phone book when stacked up, and nobody gets more than a stern glare for it, that's not going to help. I'm certainly not expecting them to get a guillotine on Capital Hill, but where people have actually broken laws and committed crimes, it'd be nice to see them stand trial (or whatever is appropriate) and if found guilty, receive punishment as listed by law.

Which then butts up against Spoits point; we shouldn't get our hopes up too high for that, because of aforementioned precedent.

I see it as 'what I'd like to have happen' versus 'what I expect to have happen'.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

No. It’s not. It doesn’t hold up when the crimes are not premediated or are perpetrated out of necessity. But this does not negate the base structure of the disincentives, just that there are situations where they dont matter.

If you want to stop political crimes throwing people in jail for them is going to work.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

This is Laffer Curve thinking. Increasing punishments could very well deter crimes if the current punishments are so low as to be under the optimum amount.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The real problem is consistency of enforcement. If everyone involved had been repeatedly convicted over the past decade or so, we wouldn't need to go to such extremes now. Even if we all we did was enforce money laundering laws better, we could probably have prevented this whole thing entirely.

This discussion has been closed.