As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    whew I almost had a heart attack when they said Personal Physician.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaaaand Shulkin is out

*hunger games cannon*

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Reuters is a news agency.

His personal physician is getting the nomination, which is about the same as when he considered his pilot to head the FAA.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The one that obviously lied about Trumps health in exchange for more stars on his rank and now this? Great.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    This is the official White House doctor, not the other guy.

Oh thank *deity* for that clarification.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    And there's the payback for the obviously sucking up medical report.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The one that obviously lied about Trumps health in exchange for more stars on his rank and now this? Great.

Is he the one that made Trump taller in order to not have him be clinically obese?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well they can write him off since he was an Obama guy right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaand Shulkin is out

*hunger games cannon*
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The kiss of death

White House: Trump has confidence in Shulkin ‘at this point in time’

President Donald Trump has confidence in David Shulkin “at this point in time” despite reports that the Veterans Affairs secretary may be fired as early as this week, White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley said on Monday.

:rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Setting aside the questionable ethics, has he ever run a department anywhere close to the size and scope of VA?

Also fun more miltary men in the cabinet

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I hope Trump one day has the same confidence in his ability to stay out of prison as he does with his cabinet's performance.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Setting aside the questionable ethics, has he ever run a department anywhere close to the size and scope of VA?

Eh, military running the VA is one of the few places where it kinda makes sense considering he’s serving the military.

Real question is if being a doctor makes him fit to be a hospital admin.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

So is the new guy iirc

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for the leak from the White House staff that any cabinet / official person starts packing up the moment Huckabee tells the press that Trump has confidence in that person. This is like bad comedy.

So I have a legit question about Trump's personal doctor; by any chance at all, does he have any relevant qualifications?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

So is the new guy iirc

He was appointed as a White House physician in 2006 before eventually becoming Physician to the President in 2013.

Which by Trump's standards makes him an Obama holdover because nothing makes any sense.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm hoping for the leak from the White House staff that any cabinet / official person starts packing up the moment Huckabee tells the press that Trump has confidence in that person. This is like bad comedy.

So I have a legit question about Trump's personal doctor; by any chance at all, does he have any relevant qualifications?

His entire Wikipedia biography looks like it has decent info on him.
    Jackson began his active duty naval service in 1995 at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, where he completed his internship in Transitional Medicine. After completing his internship at a Transitional residency program in 1996, he went on to become the honor graduate of the Navy’s Undersea Medical Officer Program in Groton, Connecticut. Uniquely qualified in Submarine and Hyperbaric Medicine, his subsequent operational assignments included, instructor at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City, Florida; det. officer in charge and diving medical officer at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 8 in Sigonella, Italy; and diving safety officer at the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.

In 2001, Jackson returned to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center to begin his residency in emergency medicine, finishing at the top of his class and receiving the honor graduate designation. Upon completing his residency in 2004, he was assigned as clinical faculty in the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia. In 2005 he joined the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, Combat Logistics Regiment 25, in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. From there he deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as the emergency medicine physician in charge of resuscitative medicine for a forward deployed Surgical Shock Trauma Platoon in Taqaddum, Iraq.

In 2006, while still in Iraq, Jackson was selected as a White House physician. Since arriving at the White House, he has directed the Executive Health Care for the President’s Cabinet and Senior Staff, served as physician supervisor for the Camp David Presidential Retreat, held the position of physician to the White House and led the White House Medical Unit as its director. He has served as White House physician during the past three administrations and was the appointed physician to the president for President Barack Obama. He currently serves as the appointed physician to the president for President Donald J. Trump.[3]. He was nominated to the rank of rear admiral (upper half) on March 23, 2018.[4]
    Looking at the past Secretaries of the VA, most of them appear to have had more major administrative experience.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

So is the new guy iirc

He was appointed as a White House physician in 2006 before eventually becoming Physician to the President in 2013.

Which by Trump's standards makes him an Obama holdover because nothing makes any sense.

Yeah I'm skeptical that this is some kind of quid pro quo or whatever for the nonsense medical report. Trump needed a guy, remembered that guy who was both a Doctor and a Troop and thought ok perfect.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Republicans are physically incapable of remembering Bush.

It'll be interesting to see if Trump falls down the same memory hole when it is all said and done.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Eh, military running the VA is one of the few places where it kinda makes sense considering he’s serving the military.

Real question is if being a doctor makes him fit to be a hospital admin.

Being a doctor and an admiral would be a great combo for the VA. At least on paper.

My only gripe with him (till we learn more about him) is the obviously brown-nosing way he made Trump all super human in his fitness report, which gives off the stench of loose morals and potential corruption.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

So is the new guy iirc

Yeah I'm skeptical that this is some kind of quid pro quo or whatever for the nonsense medical report. Trump needed a guy, remembered that guy who was both a Doctor and a Troop and thought ok perfect.

On one hand, sure.

On the other hand, I'm all out of benefits of the doubt to give out, sorry.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Republicans are physically incapable of remembering Bush.

It'll be interesting to see if Trump falls down the same memory hole when it is all said and done.

Trump's ego won't allow it, if he has any say in the matter.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

So is the new guy iirc

I am surprised it wasn't some Fox News guy.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

His entire Wikipedia biography looks like it has decent info on him.
    Jackson began his active duty naval service in 1995 at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, where he completed his internship in Transitional Medicine. After completing his internship at a Transitional residency program in 1996, he went on to become the honor graduate of the Navy’s Undersea Medical Officer Program in Groton, Connecticut. Uniquely qualified in Submarine and Hyperbaric Medicine, his subsequent operational assignments included, instructor at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City, Florida; det. officer in charge and diving medical officer at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 8 in Sigonella, Italy; and diving safety officer at the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.

In 2001, Jackson returned to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center to begin his residency in emergency medicine, finishing at the top of his class and receiving the honor graduate designation. Upon completing his residency in 2004, he was assigned as clinical faculty in the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia. In 2005 he joined the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, Combat Logistics Regiment 25, in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. From there he deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as the emergency medicine physician in charge of resuscitative medicine for a forward deployed Surgical Shock Trauma Platoon in Taqaddum, Iraq.

In 2006, while still in Iraq, Jackson was selected as a White House physician. Since arriving at the White House, he has directed the Executive Health Care for the President’s Cabinet and Senior Staff, served as physician supervisor for the Camp David Presidential Retreat, held the position of physician to the White House and led the White House Medical Unit as its director. He has served as White House physician during the past three administrations and was the appointed physician to the president for President Barack Obama. He currently serves as the appointed physician to the president for President Donald J. Trump.[3]. He was nominated to the rank of rear admiral (upper half) on March 23, 2018.[4]
    Looking at the past Secretaries of the VA, most of them appear to have had more major administrative experience.
    Well, at least it is a closer fit for the job than just picking friends and family for positions. I guess. Still I wonder what made him decide to change it up. Did Shulkin have the gall to tell Trump 'no' over something?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    He does have some experience running a hospital (a portion of a forward trauma center in Iraq) so he isn’t totally out of his element with regards to this

However my inkling from his bio is that he didn’t want an administrative career. He moved from training to safety overseer to emergency medicine and then went to the White House. Which is kind of the opposite of an administrative path.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

So is the new guy iirc

On one hand, sure.

Its a fine line between "no benefit of the doubt" and conspiratorial thinking.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

So is the new guy iirc

On one hand, sure.

cool well I guess my conspiracy is that the President likes to give cabinet positions to people who say nice things about him on TV

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

So is the new guy iirc

On one hand, sure.

cool well I guess my conspiracy is that the President likes to give cabinet positions to people who say nice things about him on TV

If the claim is that the president likes him then sure whatever, but that's not damning on its own. That this was payoff is a whole different bag of cats.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway, new guy is fine, to the degree anything can be these days. The big scandal is the administration blatantly lying again.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Shulkin was one of several cabinet members caught with their hands in the cookie jar I believe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Shulkin was one of several cabinet members caught with their hands in the cookie jar I believe.

He was also fighting with people under him Trump appointed.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/28/trump-says-hell-nominate-white-house-doctor-ronny-jackson-to-be-va-secretary-490886
    Some members of Congress and veterans groups agreed. But Trump, a regular viewer of Fox & Friends commentator Pete Hegseth — a critic of Shulkin who once vied for his job— reportedly was irked by Shulkin's claims that he had full White House support.

From a policy perspective, the fight centered around two versions of a bill to give veterans greater access to private health care. A bill championed by Sen. Jerry Moran and supported by the Koch-backed group would allow veterans to choose care as they please outside of the VA system, which critics say amounts to privatizing the VA system while taxpayers foot the bill.

Shulkin, with the support of veterans groups like the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars, supported a bipartisan bill that gave VA physicians the ultimate control over when veterans could go out of the system. Neither bill was included in the fiscal year 2018 omnibus budget, and by late March, senators were still negotiating over them.

Shulkin repeatedly said he would never oversee the privatization of the VA, the only large government-run health care system in the United States. Veterans groups and some Democrats on House and Senate veterans committees, viewed the attacks on Shulkin as an effort to remove barriers to privatization.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm curious what the Senate thinks of this constant churn of confirmations.

We know that Trump has filled less positions than any other President in a long time, but I'd be curious how he stacks up in actual nominations, given the revolving-door mentality of this Administration.

Also, if Trump only hires the best people, why the constant churn? I mean, obvious answer is obvious, but why isn't this a consistent question asked of the President. I mean, I know under other Presidents, there was churn, but what we're seeing is unprecedented. And it's not like they're accomplishing anything. Sign up, get confirmed, either ragequit, suffer a scandal or piss off the chief, resign, repeat.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So what, Shulkin wanted to actually do a halfway decent job, and thought his department's existence was worthwhile? No wonder he got fired, that's a fucking rarity in that cabinet...

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    So what, Shulkin wanted to actually do a halfway decent job, and thought his department's existence was worthwhile? No wonder he got fired, that's a fucking rarity in that cabinet...

Shulkin has been caught up in a spending scandal as well. Wouldn't be the first guy shit canned for making the President look bad

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm curious what the Senate thinks of this constant churn of confirmations.

We know that Trump has filled less positions than any other President in a long time, but I'd be curious how he stacks up in actual nominations, given the revolving-door mentality of this Administration.

Also, if Trump only hires the best people, why the constant churn? I mean, obvious answer is obvious, but why isn't this a consistent question asked of the President. I mean, I know under other Presidents, there was churn, but what we're seeing is unprecedented. And it's not like they're accomplishing anything. Sign up, get confirmed, either ragequit, suffer a scandal or piss off the chief, resign, repeat.

I don't think they give a shit. Honestly the GOP is complicit in Trump and the only thing they probably dislike is that it brings them attention when they'd rather not have any.

Like dumping Shulkin to replace him with someone who probably wants to privatize VA care will only highlight that privatization where they'd prefer to have just quietly done that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Trump's razor holds true:
    CNN reporter:

He really does hire almost purely based on surface level details.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this appointment could have gone far, far worse

this guy might not be great but at this point I fully expected it to be someone who wants to just eliminate the VA altogether and pay Blackwater to push all veterans into a volcano

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The fact that he's directly treated injured soldiers before is a good sign, hopefully it means that he'll hesitate to screw them over later.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

So is the new guy iirc

On one hand, sure.

The medical report specified Trump being 1 whole pound shy of being obese at 6'3" when there's a mountain of photographic evidence that he's at best slightly shorter than a 6'1" President Obama. For this administration's standards it's small potatoes but it's a crock of shit nonetheless.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Trump's razor holds true:
    CNN reporter:

He really does hire almost purely based on surface level details.

Literally the only qualification he considers beyond "has some attribute vaguely associated with what he thinks the department in question does".

Doctor + Armed Forces => Veterans Affairds
    Also looks good on tv => instant hire

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Double post.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.