Options

Webcomics, A retrospective

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i can't get over how silly coyogrim looks

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    He sure is doing a good job justifying the courts experiments with the Ether.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    @Creagan What's your opinions about the increasing zany insanity of Mark Trail?

Because I might be a bad person with bad opinions for saying this but I much prefer the current exploding boats and Wilhelm screams to the repetitious and often recycled storylines of before that had way too much Kelly Welly.

Sorry- just saw this.

I tend to avoid story strips because most of them stopped being good around the time my mother was born, but never quite reached that level of awfulness where they became enjoyable again. Also, all the books I have on the history of American Newspaper Comics do not give a shit about that strip. So I'm nowhere near as familiar with Mark Trail as I am with Fox Trot. Or even Rivets.

But I've skimmed it. It's got your standard Story Strip issues, where each week's dailies are SUPER repetitive and could basically be a single comic strip but they can't because otherwise the Sundays wouldn't keep up with the plot. And the same art problem Mary Worth had before they got their new artist, where the cartoonist is basically doing a realistic "Story Strip" art style and then erasing/leaving off lines (so it can scale down for print) but he's doing it in a way that looks kinda awkward. Not as bad as Mary Worth was, but close-ish. (Side note- picking up Brenda Starr's former artist was a good choice, the better art's juxtaposition with the awful dialog is hilarious, especially during Wilber's shower scene.)

Explosions are kinda better than the story lines that repeat over. and over. and over again. It'd be great if the strip became Mary Worth level awful. The current storyline, which seems to be about a rhino randomly attacking Mark's car, forcing him to shoot it with a tranquilizer (that looks like a regular shot-gun) shortly after the world's last male northern white rhino died, is promising. But I'd wait a year and a half before making a call. With story strips, there's a good chance Mark Trail will go back to the boring repetitive story lines, or the explosions will become the new thing that gets beat to death.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    ahahahahaha holy shit that's amazing

Her followers have chainsaw polearms!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Man what happened to Doonesbury

I remember it being kind of good for a while and then it just got weird in the bad way

I don't recall Doonsebury getting too weird. It's still one of the newspaper comics I read with any frequency.

Though he did pick a hell of a time to mostly-retire.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    also that k6bd update is absolutely amazing and i love it with all my heart

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Getting a real Sisters of Battle vibe.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    HjPugTn.png?1

In False Knees, a comic
    that feels like it could be a sequel to this one

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So the nun is 001, the first to be counted?

And is Ysengrin now part wolf, part tree and part coyote? I'm not sure if the tree parts stayed, but it looks like he's still being drawn with tree arms.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    And is Ysengrin now part wolf, part tree and part coyote? I'm not sure if the tree parts stayed, but it looks like he's still being drawn with tree arms.
    Power Of Gardening was one of Coyote's powers that he gave to Ysengrin, so I assume he kept that power when he took the rest of them. and his real body was pretty withered before, maybe it's still that way underneath?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Power Of Gardening was one of Coyote's powers that he gave to Ysengrin, so I assume he kept that power when he took the rest of them. and his real body was pretty withered before, maybe it's still that way underneath?

When coyote grants aspects theres always a flaw. Reynard kills when he body swaps,Yesengrin became withered but could grow plants ( though I suspect that was by design on coyotes part).

I think he knew that and decided to just devour all of coyote and become him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think the tree-esque arms are just cause that's what Coyote's legs looked like - Ysengrin definitely busted out of his tree-body when he first got Coyote's strength.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2018
    cB557 wrote: »

it's hard to write good metaphor-laden dream sequences, but this one is perfect

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    He sure is doing a good job justifying the courts experiments with the Ether.

"Justifying". In the sense that the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki justified decades of nuclear proliferation.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I've never really grasped the world of Gunnerkrig very well, are there like, people? Around? That big ass city has always seemed empty but for scattered weird robots

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So I've never really grasped the world of Gunnerkrig very well, are there like, people? Around? That big ass city has always seemed empty but for scattered weird robots

yeah that's always confused me

it's like a city in england that's nearly empty? and I guess the public doesn't know/care about it?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    There exists human habitation outside the court.
    There are harbors and ships that go sailing.
    But the court just feels completely disconnected from any actual society outside it.
    Yet the students must come from somewhere.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its a secret super tech school next to a magic forest

i dont think normal england population density rules apply

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Well the spacial dimensions of the court dont make sense for magic reasons but the actual number of people is very small because they only recruit the A list level talent and their immediate families. The robots fill non sciene related roles like security and maintenance and researchers get massive facilities solely dedicated to their projects

• Options
    It's just for all I know the total population of the world of Gunnerkrig is like fifty children and their weird parental units and like a teacher, is the wolf god just blasting apart an empty full scale model of a city

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    It's just for all I know the total population of the world of Gunnerkrig is like fifty children and their weird parental units and like a teacher, is the wolf god just blasting apart an empty full scale model of a city

We know at one point World War 2 happened. There's, I guess, no reason that things couldn't have diverged significantly since then, but I always assumed the rest of the world was pretty much the same as ours, we just rarely see it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They do mention a few times that the Court itself is very sparsely populated, and how weird that is, so it's probably not that true in the larger world.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Who's in the White House in Gunnerkrig how did that election break in a world of fairies

• Options
    Who's in the White House in Gunnerkrig how did that election break in a world of fairies

The comic and it's author are both set in England, so, I dunno that American politics is much of a priority

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Which way did Brexit swing

• Options

I just assume this is set in the mid 90s.

• Options

I just assume this is set in the mid 90s.

At the very latest, mid-00s. Canonically only a few years have passed since the story started and I never got the feeling it was set in the future.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Remember when Kat played through Metal Gear Solid 4? Anyway I'm pretty sure the comic takes place in "the now". It used to be 2008 but as time passed out of universe it's now 2018.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    ahahahahaha holy shit that's amazing

Her followers have chainsaw polearms!

reminds me of Shaolin Cowboy's double chainsaw staff

Shaolin_1-75399_0.jpg

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Remember when Kat played through Metal Gear Solid 4? Anyway I'm pretty sure the comic takes place in "the now". It used to be 2008 but as time passed out of universe it's now 2018.

According to a Q&A from Tom (sourced from the GK wiki, the citation was broken by a forum migration), it takes place in "a current year" so yeah, I guess that's probably accurate

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.