As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DIY Fold-out Computer Desk

Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
I want to put a computer desk in our guest bedroom. The problem is that the room is not big enough to be both an "office" and a bedroom at the same time. I generally don't work from home nor do we have guests all that often but it would be nice to actually have a desk where a computer is setup and still have room for guests when they visit. So I was thinking, what if it could be both - just not at the same time.

As a result, I was thinking of building something like this fold-out desk: https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/build-a-foldout-desk-and-craft-table

The way that desk is designed, it has a cleat that is attached directly to that wall. My thinking is that if that cleat was deep enough and had a bit of a cutaway in the middle, I could mount a couple of monitors on a dual monitor mount like this so that when guests came to visit, I could just push back the monitors and fold the desk up.

Are there any problems I'm not seeing that I should be considering? The biggest concern I have at this point is what kind of finish to apply to a computer desk. I'm assuming some kind of polyurethane varnish but really I have no experience in this area.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Might be easier to deal with a murphy or couch bed instead.

I can't see a fold out desk working very well with computers and monitors and not have an unreasonably large profile still, even when folded up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    the dream would be a murphy bed on one wall and a fold out desk on the other but right now, the bed is just a fancy inflatable queen mattress and when the mattress is there, there is no room for a desk of any kind.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I actually use a 6' collapsible table as a computer desk. It works for me because I happen to be the right height. Some even have adjustable height.
    Example from Amazon.

I don't know if you could DIY a desk like that, but it's an option if you plan on only taking the desk out for company. That and a futon couch combined would give decent versatility to the room.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I own a Murphy bed in a similar setup. Way easier and more worth the cost than the opposite.

The bed takes up way more essential real estate than the desk, save up and go that route.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What about maybe a foldable computer desk instead? Something like this? Relatively quick to set up and take down (and store flat) and probably more functionally "desk-like" than a built-in fold-out one.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I actually use a 6' collapsible table as a computer desk. It works for me because I happen to be the right height. Some even have adjustable height.
    Example from Amazon.

I don't know if you could DIY a desk like that, but it's an option if you plan on only taking the desk out for company. That and a futon couch combined would give decent versatility to the room.

The dream is the murphy bed but it's only going to need to be used a few days a year. And since we already have a temporary bed that can be setup and taken down easily but have no desk in the house, I'm prioritizing the desk solution.

I had initally dismissed the folding table option just for aesthetics, @dispatch.o but I do like the size. I really like the one you have proposed, @Pixelated Pixie. I just wish it was bigger since I'm expecting the room to be in desk arrangement 99% of the time. Still... 40" might be big enough.

Thanks guys. Those are good ideas.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    There's simple wooden folding tables of various shapes and sizes if you don't like the more common plastic ones. https://www.bizchair.com/wood-folding-tables/
    Just check the weight limit. And preferably you want one with support underneath so it doesn't warp and sag over time. Like this one. https://www.bizchair.com/YT-1860-MEL-WAL-GG.html?cgid=wood-training-folding-tables#start=1 and this one https://www.bizchair.com/YT-2448-HIGH-WAL-GG.html?cgid=wood-high-pressure-laminate-folding-tables#start=4

Siska on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Another option would be to get a desk with casters on it that fits through the door. Unplug the computer, wheel the whole thing somewhere else. Though if you wall mount the monitor and get a thin desk for the keyboard/mouse you could get a Chromecast and your guests may appreciate a small table and Netflix.