Options

The [Marvel] thread is a War free zone

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    He's gonna go hang out with Patriot

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    They clearly didn't have any plans for Miles once he went from being The Ultimate Spider-Man to The Other Spider-Man

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it felt like the original plan was to have miles be 'Spider-Man' and have Peter graduate to something else a la Rogers running SHIELD back when, but then Peter Parker is way too much of a cash cow for them to ever go away from like that

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    They clearly didn't have any plans for Miles once he went from being The Ultimate Spider-Man to The Other Spider-Man

Their plan, their garbage plan that was never going to work long term, was for Miles to be the "street level" Spider-Man and Peter to be the "global" Spider-Man

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've been out of the Marvel game for a good long while, the last time I was buying any Marvel was when Chip Zdarsky was on Star-Lord and there was that Kelly Thompson Hawkeye series

what's even good at Marvel anymore comics-wise, what're the standouts of the current lineup (editor's note: for some reason I do not care about X-Men at all so any X-Men stuff is gonna do nothin' for me)

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've been out of the Marvel game for a good long while, the last time I was buying any Marvel was when Chip Zdarsky was on Star-Lord and there was that Kelly Thompson Hawkeye series

what's even good at Marvel anymore comics-wise, what're the standouts of the current lineup (editor's note: for some reason I do not care about X-Men at all so any X-Men stuff is gonna do nothin' for me)

Zdarsky's 2-in-1 and Spectacular Spider-Man
    Saladin Ahmed's Exiles, which stars an X-adjacent character but isn't really an X-Book
    Donny Cates' Doctor Strange and Thanos (the latter of which just wrapped up)

Jason Aaron's Avengers and Thor relaunches are hitting tomorrow and next month, as are various other launches like Cates' Venom and Ewing's Immortal Hulk

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    did DC and creator-owned really suck up all the talented writers right now, because it seems very odd that all of the few interesting Marvel books are all written by the same 4 dudes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Just let Zdarsky run wild with the Marvel universe

Maddoc on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Talented People have basically been drifting from Marvel as they have been finishing their runs for the last couple years

• Options
    are there ANY women writing for Marvel right now besides (I assume) G. Willow Wilson still at it?

Feels like every single announcement was dudes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    did DC and creator-owned really suck up all the talented writers right now, because it seems very odd that all of the few interesting Marvel books are all written by the same 4 dudes
    Kinda, yeah

Marvel's talent pool isn't terrible but Ahmed and Cates are basically the only actually exciting new talent they've brought on in the past couple years

They've got Aaron, Ewing and Zdarsky who are all fantastic and Waid who can still write a good superhero book when he remembers he's an old ass white man and to stay in his lane

But that's about it as far as huge creators I'm interested in

Well there is also Coates but he seems pretty well entrenched in terms of doing his own thing on his books and not being too big of an active part of the MU at large

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    are there ANY women writing for Marvel right now besides (I assume) G. Willow Wilson still at it?

Mariko Tamaki is on X-23 and Margaret Stohl is still on Captain Marvel but yeah they do not have even half a dozen active lady writers on the roster and it's not great

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ryan North is still killing it on Squirrel Girl.

• Options
    I totally understand while people love it and normally am a huge fan of North but it just doesn't hit for me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kinda, yeah

Marvel's talent pool isn't terrible but Ahmed and Cates are basically the only actually exciting new talent they've brought on in the past couple years

They've got Aaron, Ewing and Zdarsky who are all fantastic and Waid who can still write a good superhero book when he remembers he's an old ass white man and to stay in his lane

Well there is also Coates but he seems pretty well entrenched in terms of doing his own thing on his books and not being too big of an active part of the MU at large

What about Gerry Duggan?

• Options
    I totally understand while people love it and normally am a huge fan of North but it just doesn't hit for me

Okay. He's still killing it, though.

• Options

Gerry Duggan's work on Guardians of the Galaxy/Infinity Countdown is the best Marvel Cosmic stuff in years, I strongly recommend it.

• Options
    hmm, Infinity War definitely has me in the mood for Guardians stuff again, what's their lineup lookin' like these days, still the usual "exactly like the movies + 1 more character" thing?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Right now, it's the team from the movies plus Richard Rider and Ant-Man (Scott Lang). Also Adam Warlock is around doing stuff, but they haven't met up with him yet.

• Options
    I feel like that's a particularly odd anomaly in comics right now, the Guardians now feel like they're permanently locked to Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot in a way something like the Avengers didn't get stuck to

I'm definitely not complaining about it, but it feels like Guardians was designed to be a floating roster and now there's an expectation of who has to be there, like the Fantastic Four

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Kinda, yeah

What about Gerry Duggan?
    Oh you're right! Duggan rules, but his Guardians run getting derailed and turned into unnecessary crossovers has soured me.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Avengers just had more books. Remember "Avengers Assemble" by Bendis that was literally the team from the movie?

• Options
    @Mr. G Duggan's Guardians is really good but around 3 or 4 trades in they cancelled it and transitioned into Infinity Countdown, a crossover event which basically took his plotlines and tied them to an unnecessary crossover angle.

The same month Infinity Countdown ends, Infinity Wars begins which is an even bigger crossover.

To be clear, the books are still good because Duggan is good

But if you're wanting just a standalone Guardians title, it quickly gets left in the dust and it's a bummer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I was browsing old stuff and came across the Thor/Iron Man fight from Civil War after he lands Asgard in Oklahoma. Fuck, that was such a fucking cathartic moment in a wide ocean of bullshit.

Did they ever truly resolve how immensely pissed off Thor was at Tony for stealing his genetic code and making an evil clone of him that killed people?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I was browsing old stuff and came across the Thor/Iron Man fight from Civil War after he lands Asgard in Oklahoma. Fuck, that was such a fucking cathartic moment in a wide ocean of bullshit.

Did they ever truly resolve how immensely pissed off Thor was at Tony for stealing his genetic code and making an evil clone of him that killed people?
    Yeah, Fraction had them make up when he was on both Thor and Iron Man

Basically after Siege when Tony got reset to pre-Civil War Tony they used it as an excuse to mend bridges and Stark even set up shop in Broxton

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018

Sort of, I forgot there was a bit. But it was mostly swept under the rug

Fencingsax on
  • Options

Yeah, Fraction had them make up when he was on both Thor and Iron Man

Basically after Siege when Tony got reset to pre-Civil War Tony they used it as an excuse to mend bridges and Stark even set up shop in Broxton

that is good, then! It's really frustrating when stuff in serial works like that gets brushed aside.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    On the other hand, sometimes something happens in a story that's extremely terrible and better off forgotten, and that's...probably one of them

• Options
    On the other hand, sometimes something happens in a story that's extremely terrible and better off forgotten, and that's...probably one of them
    They basically had their cake and ate it because Tony got reset to before he did that and so couldn't be directly held accountable but they still used Robo-Clone-Thor, and named him Ragnarok, for various books.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    that was because he had to kill his own brain or something, right? but then he had like a backup of his brain?

• Options
    There was one really fun moment where Tony was talking to Thor about getting Stark Resilent off the ground and proposed rebuilding Asgard as a dream project that they could do down the road once they have funding and have rebuilt their coffers

Thor just laughs and asks him to a wait a second

He's gone for a few minutes and comes back with a sack full of pure Asgardian gold and jewels and says that Tony can have as much as he wants, Asgard's treasuries are open to his friends.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    that was because he had to kill his own brain or something, right? but then he had like a backup of his brain?
    Yeah, when Osborn took over SHIELD the first thing, literally the very first thing, he did when he got control was try to raid the database of superhero identities

Tony set up a fail safe where if he tried it (giving Norman a chance to not be a monster) the local copy would be destroyed and the digital copy would be downloaded to Tony's Extremis brain which he later set to basically self-delete as it was the only way to keep the info out of Norman's hands.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Was that before or after the whole naked dictation thing?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wow this is a heh heh stark reminder of how much i disliked matt fraction's iron man

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Antman and the Wasp
    Laurence Fishburne as an aged Goliath seems like good casting.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    wow this is a heh heh stark reminder of how much i disliked matt fraction's iron man

Wasn't that ellis thunderbolts

• Options
    At some point they took Tony in a direction where he's basically not even remotely relatable as a human anymore

Remember when he had a drinking problem?

I didn't really hate Fraction's run, but I think looking back at it that's probably where I stopped caring about Tony Stark

• Options
    Tony's drinking problem was absolutely part of Fraction's run, though?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think Fraction's Iron Man run was one of the first big solo books I binged after getting Marvel Unlimited due to MCU Fever (would've been just post-Avengers)

So only having MCU Tony to go on, I thought Fraction's post-human Tony Stark RULED

I still do, honestly

Give me back technopath Tony with the armor living in his bones

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Mariko Tamaki is on X-23 and Margaret Stohl is still on Captain Marvel but yeah they do not have even half a dozen active lady writers on the roster and it's not great

What's the word on that Captain Marvel book
    Last one I read was DeConnick and it didn't do much for me

This discussion has been closed.