As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread

19596979899101»

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I should be finding out in the next couple of days yay or nay regarding whether I got my job or not, and signs are looking good following my interview, but I've pretty much decided I'm going to be putting in my two weeks notice this week regardless. I've been getting more and more fed up with my job, and combined with the realization I have other options this week cinched it. We have 3 big parties this week, 2 of them on regular weekdays, and I just found out on Sunday about all of them. Among them is that Thursday we'll be holding a big fundraising event, which means the specialty dinner we do Thursdays that takes the pressure off of me isn't going to happen, but more than that there's a group of 10+ people coming in for a retirement party and they'll be ordering off the menu... and I'm the only cook. And I'm expected to wash dishes for the big events. I might be getting some help from people working there, but I might not.

This and my experience over the past couple of years have just culminated in me deciding fuck this job. I'm in the enviable position where I won't starve or lose my home if I don't have a job for a short period of time so even if this new job at the school doesn't pull through, I am done done done with this bullshit job. They can find some other schmuck to saddle this job with if they can even find someone to take it, but I am finished doing 3-4 jobs for minimum wage with damn near no communication from the owner and manager about events and organization, and almost no actual effort to find other cooks to help out. Part time or no part time.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I was once so stressed due to teaching I lost seven kilos.

I do not recommend it as a diet!

The first time I read this, I thought you said you lost seven kids.

I wanted to know what kind of high-risk-high-reward teaching you were doing.

He was doing the warhammer comisar method of teaching
    I should be finding out in the next couple of days yay or nay regarding whether I got my job or not, and signs are looking good following my interview, but I've pretty much decided I'm going to be putting in my two weeks notice this week regardless. I've been getting more and more fed up with my job, and combined with the realization I have other options this week cinched it. We have 3 big parties this week, 2 of them on regular weekdays, and I just found out on Sunday about all of them. Among them is that Thursday we'll be holding a big fundraising event, which means the specialty dinner we do Thursdays that takes the pressure off of me isn't going to happen, but more than that there's a group of 10+ people coming in for a retirement party and they'll be ordering off the menu... and I'm the only cook. And I'm expected to wash dishes for the big events. I might be getting some help from people working there, but I might not.

This and my experience over the past couple of years have just culminated in me deciding fuck this job. I'm in the enviable position where I won't starve or lose my home if I don't have a job for a short period of time so even if this new job at the school doesn't pull through, I am done done done with this bullshit job. They can find some other schmuck to saddle this job with if they can even find someone to take it, but I am finished doing 3-4 jobs for minimum wage with damn near no communication from the owner and manager about events and organization, and almost no actual effort to find other cooks to help out. Part time or no part time.

Maybe this petty but I'm kind of surprised you're giving your two weeks notice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Visited a practice open day visit, they won me over not with their free lunch and tea (which was very nice) nor their lovely work, but their discussion about how they are trying to eliminate the gender pay gap at their practice and get more women/people with families into flexible positions so they can still climb the career ladder.

Be still my beating heart.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I have taken exactly two days fully off in the last 12 years.

I'm gonna flip a coin. Heads, you take two weeks off. Tails, you take fourteen days.

OK it's stuck between the couch cushions so technically it's both. Take a month.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I was once so stressed due to teaching I lost seven kilos.

I do not recommend it as a diet!

The first time I read this, I thought you said you lost seven kids.

I wanted to know what kind of high-risk-high-reward teaching you were doing.

He was doing the warhammer comisar method of teaching

Maybe this petty but I'm kind of surprised you're giving your two weeks notice.

Well I don't want to screw over my fellow employees who will have to fill in for me until they get a new cook if they don't know I'm leaving.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The city turned off the library's water for a couple of hours last night for some kind of repair, and this is our tap water this morning.

xo2e6hulgvsj.png

We should be good, right?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah seems safe.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The city turned off the library's water for a couple of hours last night for some kind of repair, and this is our tap water this morning.

xo2e6hulgvsj.png

We should be good, right?

You don't live in Flint, do you?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Those are some fancy ass library glasses.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Those are some fancy ass library glasses.

god damned public library fat cats and their luxury goods.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    We're fancy-ass librarians. (Who bring our own mugs from home. Those are the only two we have that are transparent.)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    That stuff is usually sediments that sits in pipes, run the water for a bit after it turns clear and y'all should be fine unless they told you otherwise.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's the concentrated fluoride they give public employees to make them obedient.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    That stuff is usually sediments that sits in pipes, run the water for a bit after it turns clear and y'all should be fine unless they told you otherwise.

Yeah, it was just air in the pipes. We've got the main and all the sinks cleared, but we're still getting reports about the toilets from the patrons. Apparently that's not the kind of situation you want to roll up on in a public restroom if you don't know the cause.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Pretty much I think, my previous record was 1100.

I went into a coma at around 800 -- that was when they said, "Oh hey! This isn't stomach flu anymore! This is ketoacidosis!"
    That's also why I get squicky when people say they're doing keto. Bad memories.

This discussion has been closed.