Options

[Job] Thread

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm so stressed that I genuinely might die

Hey man, my mom got so stressed she had a heart attack and went septic and had to have a kidney removed. Treat yo self before you deplete yo self.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    ...that can actually happen?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

What's up?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It was a compounding issue. She was so stressed she wasn't really taking care of herself properly and developed a UTI which went untreated because she didn't have time to see a doctor, and then all the following happened.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Stress is really really hard on your system. Take care of yo self.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

What's up?

I'm only really able to vaguebook in the job thread I'm afraid.

• Options

What's up?

Makes sense. Well, do try not to die, and take time off if you need it. Stress is no joke.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Just blink once if we have to shank Tycho, twice for Gabe.

• Options
    Robonun wrote: »

Always stab Mike.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

yes

absolutely

the cleaning crew we had here, their owner had a heart attack because he lost his shit at someone who had to call in that they were going to be late because of a personal issue and he was screaming at them and had a heart attack in our office when they showed up finally

granted that was his own machinations but it was the stress that did him in according to my boss (who is also a doctor) and his cardiac surgeon

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

What's up?

Makes sense. Well, do try not to die, and take time off if you need it. Stress is no joke.

I think I might actually say "hey I need two weeks fully off". I took two days "off" last week, and had to work extensively on both of them. I've got something to get out the door and then I'm going to just peace out and play video games.

I'm constantly afraid I'm going to take time just for myself and then "need" it for something, like a family emergency. This is 100% in my head because PA would absolutely not give a shit.

• Options

What's up?

I think I might actually say "hey I need two weeks fully off". I took two days "off" last week, and had to work extensively on both of them. I've got something to get out the door and then I'm going to just peace out and play video games.

I'm constantly afraid I'm going to take time just for myself and then "need" it for something, like a family emergency. This is 100% in my head because PA would absolutely not give a shit.

That sounds like a great idea.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Stress is literally toxic

I know a guy who was so stressed from his job he lost a bunch of his hair and started breaking out into rashes and shit.

Like he finally quit the job he was on and like all of his health problems cleared up damn near immediately, and he got a bunch of his hair back.

• Options

Those guys actually present me with very, very few headaches, relatively speaking. It's dealing with vendors, third parties etc that cause most of my problems. The dirty secret of Penny Arcade is that Mike & Jerry are both polite, thoughtful and kind people.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have gone to a&e in total agony over stomach pains which the consultant told me were literally stress causing my gut organs to swell up.

Stress can get fucked

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I have gone to a&e in total agony over stomach pains which the consultant told me were literally stress causing my gut organs to swell up.

Stress can get fucked

High periods of stress basically shut your gastric/digestive systems into low power mode. You will feel like shit and have the worst gut pains during periods of high stress. It's a coping mechanism for flight v fight. Except we weren't designed to have periods of stress last for weeks at a time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well shit

I should probably start taking my anxiety medication instead of just pacing and letting it stew

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Yes please, find something that helps (weightlifting helps me for example) because y'all don't want to die or have ulcers.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Had the first day of block training today, which is basically an annual training where staff and correctional officers learn the rules and regulations of working in a prison. Well, today had something a little different. We learned about use of force and verbal communication in the first two classes. For the third was MILO. MILO is a virtual shooting range with hundreds of programmed scenarios that have multiple routes. These scenarios come with two physical tools the participant holds depending on the scenario. The first tool is a small thing of pepper spray. The second thing is a gun. They are both weighted to be about the same as a real thing.

So for an hour we put what we had learned into practice, going through scenarios where we'd talk down inmates about to self-harm when they'd barricaded themselves in their cells, active shooter scenarios where the shooter was not known, hostage situations, psych encounters with mentally-ill inmates, etc.

It was...something. When I picked up the gun I felt its weight and remembered why I had never pursued a career in law enforcement. The instructor first gave me a target practice range with virtual metal plates and I popped them down as they arrived. While not a crack shot, my accuracy was pretty damn good out of the rest of the class.

Then they started giving me active shooter scenarios or potential threat scenarios. In each and every one of them I'd seen the others in the class with itchy trigger fingers. In mine, the instructor remarked on how I was a bit slower than the target practice. The reason for that, which I told him, was that I refused to fire a single shot until I visually confirmed the existence of a firearm being drawn on me or someone else and the context of the situation. Even when the person put their hand behind their back while chatting with me I did not even raise the gun until I saw the one they were pulling out from their back waistband, because prior to that they were just an old woman in a subway station acting odd. Or until another target in a school shooting scenario (the target was an adult) turned around enough to see the gun they were raising to point at me, because in another scenario it turned out he was just holding a cell phone. Or when I was rounding a pillar where I could see someone with their back to me in an odd stance until I saw the gun they were pointing at a hostage and listened to what they were saying, because in another scenario that was an undercover cop containing the actual shooter.

I can see the good this sort of virtual training can do. It can be used to give police multiple scenarios and train them how to react to situations, to teach them to hold their fire until they confirm the situation, and it'd be fantastic about that. But a tool is only as good as the intent it's being used for. The scenarios we did were geared towards ensuring we understood proper use of force, lethal and non-lethal. There's other scenarios in there that don't care about that kind of training, such as other target range scenarios except the targets are people. Or war-time scenarios where you're going through a ruined city gunning down people. Those are on there too and they can be taught excessive force to groups just as easily as ours was taught proper use of force.

It was an experience. I hope at least some of the other people in my group came away from it with either new respect for the weapons or a complete revulsion for them. I know I solidified my decision to never wield a gun in real-life, because I am not a hero, I am not a marksman, I'm just a schmuck who would make everything worse in a bad situation if I had a gun just like many other people in that class.

So yeah, that was my day. Rest of the annual training should be a bit less heavy.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Those guys actually present me with very, very few headaches, relatively speaking. It's dealing with vendors, third parties etc that cause most of my problems. The dirty secret of Penny Arcade is that Mike & Jerry are both polite, thoughtful and kind people.

Oh god they've got him, that's like seven blinks! BREACH BREACH BREACH.

But seriously, stress is real, the effects are real, they can get physical, and you need to take care of yourself. Preferably before it becomes a serious problem.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I had a message pop up on my computer that says ‘Your DropBox admin has requested that the Dropbox files on this computer be deleted. You must restart your computer to complete this process before you can continue using Dropbox.’

Am I correct that files were being automatically saved/mirrored to my PC, and that when the ex-employee tried to delete all files that they also tried to delete the files DropBox was saving to my PC, but couldn’t without me restarting?

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The cold callers I hate were the ones who'd call back when I ran hotels. After their initial speech I'd notify them that I didn't have authority to change vendors and it's all done through corporate. They'd still keep going.

What's up?

I like to send out emails every so often that just state that on -insert date here- no one will be able to reach me. Figure it out yourself that day.

If I don't I get emails and texts while away abput inane BS that people are definitely qualified and capable of dealing with.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    PA always struck me as a company designed to protect Mike and Jerry from having to survive in the real world and lose the rest of their innocence.

Sorry @Tube , I resolved years ago not to get stressed at all about vendor bullshit, as it's always a hot mess but usually works out.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    PA always struck me as a company designed to protect Mike and Jerry from having to survive in the real world and lose the rest of their innocence.

Nah, they both work really hard to keep this place running. Either of them could move into a creative director role or similar at any pretty much any other company.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My boss is losing his hair from stress. He has three 1" circular spots on his head completely devoid of hair. They didn't develop until he started working 12-16 hours a day without a break. This started in February and still continues.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. Two active tornadoes right now one to the south of the city and one to the north bracketing us. Not going to affect us here in town but not too common.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Huh. Two active tornadoes right now one to the south of the city and one to the north bracketing us. Not going to affect us here in town but not too common.

The Texas panhandle has been so consistently hot this spring that it's pretty much pushed Tornado Alley north and east. Normally, cool dry air sledding down from the Rockies meets warm moist air coming up from the Gulf right over central Oklahoma and our shit gets all wrecked. We had a flash flooding emergency across the entire OKC metro last week that none of the models predicted, because it's the kind of stalled-out storm that shouldn't happen around here until September, but charged with midsummer Gulf moisture. This year, the dry mountain air is still so hot when it hits the wet Gulf air that all we get are weirdly intense localized thunderstorms. Then the Gulf air finally hits a cold front in Kansas or Nebraska, or the mountain air finally cools down over Arkansas or Mississippi and the supercells show up to the party.

We've already broken the all-time record for the latest Oklahoma tornado of the year, and we're well on track to shatter the record for quietest Oklahoma tornado season period by like a couple of standard deviations. It's been hella weird.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

What's up?

I had this exact feeling for five years, and then had a stroke at the office. Take time for yourself.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

What's up?

Stress literally eats away at your body and also ages the fuck out of you, keep well on top of that shit dude. Take as many real holidays as you can get! Like, take a week off and go camping, don't even log on to the forums or anything.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Geth, ban Tube from all the threads

• Options
    I have taken exactly two days fully off in the last 12 years.

• Options
    I have taken exactly two days fully off in the last 12 years.

Holy fuck. Take your vacation time you silly goose!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have only called in twice at the hell known to men
    once since I had no idea what to do as my father died in front of me
    The other was because I was blind from my forhead swelling up from being hit in the head from a box of weights

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I had a message pop up on my computer that says ‘Your DropBox admin has requested that the Dropbox files on this computer be deleted. You must restart your computer to complete this process before you can continue using Dropbox.’

Am I correct that files were being automatically saved/mirrored to my PC, and that when the ex-employee tried to delete all files that they also tried to delete the files DropBox was saving to my PC, but couldn’t without me restarting?

It sounds like, if the files you saved were inside the Dropbox synced directory, Dropbox was trying to sync those changes as designed. So if they were deleted at the source then yeah, Dropbox tries to reflect that deletion in all connected locations I think.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Stress can get fucked

High periods of stress basically shut your gastric/digestive systems into low power mode. You will feel like shit and have the worst gut pains during periods of high stress. It's a coping mechanism for flight v fight. Except we weren't designed to have periods of stress last for weeks at a time.

Oh, so this is what was happening to me when I decided to quit my teaching job. Good to know!

• Options
    Tube you are great people and have done wonderful things for a community that I enjoy on a daily basis.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I’d be really, really sad to hear something bad happening to your health.

Take some time off, you have more than earned it!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

It sounds like, if the files you saved were inside the Dropbox synced directory, Dropbox was trying to sync those changes as designed. So if they were deleted at the source then yeah, Dropbox tries to reflect that deletion in all connected locations I think.

That’s it!

So we came really close to actually losing everything and were saved by virtue of my computer being shut down at the time, hahaha.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Hey, everyone in the job thread: use your vacation. Use all of it. Lounge around in glorious slothful splendor.

It's not only your right as a worker, it also makes you a better worker, and a better human being. Lurching from burnout to burnout looks great on a timesheet, but you're killing yourself while putting in many hours of extremely substandard work. Because forcing a machine to run without oil and then blaming breakdowns on the machine using too much oil is pretty much where capitalism is at this point in time.

I know that many of you don't have vacation time, or have infinite vacation time you're not allowed to use, or have vacation time that is also sick leave, and that sucks, and I'm sorry. But if you can take a week off to not check your work email, it will do wonders for pretty much every part of your life. Also, stick it to the man, you don't owe the man shit.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Y’all I just did my dishes, my laundry and took out my trash for the first time in over three weeks thanks to my walker boot.

I know it’s all trivial stuff but mentally I feel like I am getting back in control of my life and it feels great.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Oh, and while I'm up on my soap box, take a fucking lunch break. If you're not managing other employees, even the disaster that is US labor law entitles you to at least a half hour of uninterrupted lunch break if you're working more than six hours per day. If someone makes you respond to a work email or makes you answer a work question while you're on lunch it resets the clock on your lunch break. It's actually illegal for you to eat your Sad Desk Lunch while reading emails if you're not an overtime exempt employee, and it can cost your employer major fines if they get audited.

Just...take your lunch to a quiet place and read a book where nobody can find you, you'd be amazed at how many books you can get through reading a half hour per day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.