As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

wrestling: prepare for a summer vacation to the darkness world G1 7/14-8/12!

crwthcrwth THAT'S ITRegistered User regular
edited July 2018 in Social Entropy++
b3m55u5kl1s5.jpeg
qmf75vnqj02g.jpeg
e8zo1i6zcqqv.jpeg
mbwglpwf0uvv.jpeg
fd4tmydglajc.jpeg
34lv08yfq73g.jpeg

because wrestling thread is mine

EzUAYcn.png
crwth on

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    is it really though

is it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I never noticed this before - does his ring just have the word 'ring' written on it?!?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    can we lock this thread until someone makes one about former WWE Tag Team Champion Nicholas

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    he sucks and was only champion due to nepotism

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y769kEmCoi0

I love this dumb storyline. More companies should have two month long falls count anywhere matches imo.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    dammit, I took too long before making a thread about this poll:
    0fMnEij.png?1

https://www.wwe.com/polls/should-aj-styles-wear-a-protective-cup-at-the-greatest-royal-rumble

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I kinda forgot until today that I bought tickets for PWG's night 2 show this weekend.

That was a nice surprise.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    that poll is real good.

WWE.com writers should write Raw.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    dammit, I took too long before making a thread about this poll:
    0fMnEij.png?1

https://www.wwe.com/polls/should-aj-styles-wear-a-protective-cup-at-the-greatest-royal-rumble

where’s the third yes if he’s a coward option

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    DDT have put up all their English recap shows up on YouTube for free. They're the full events with English commentary. Events are:

Into The Fight 2018
    D-Oh Grand Prix 2018 Final
    Tokyo Joshi Pro's January 4th show (which I'm linking here because the main event, Reika Saiki vs Miyu Yamashita, is in the running for my women's MOTY thus far)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDU4ED8p38
    Never Mind 2017
    UCHIKOMI! Presents God Bless DDT 2017
    DDT Special 2017

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I know DB wants to give young guys the rub, but (in my best Jason Bateman) him? I guess Cass moves ok for a big man, but his offense is weak and uninspired (his big boot should be named "Fill In Later", but I think that may already be the title of his entrance theme.) and he has the promo skills of the kid they get to play the sheep in the Christmas pageant. Finding out he's a die-hard Trump dude is just the half-digested peanut in the Turd Sundae that is Big Cass.

Just on Smackdown, DB could give Rusev, Xavier Woods, Big E, Tye Dillinger, etc. a shot first.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I know DB wants to give young guys the rub, but (in my best Jason Bateman) him? I guess Cass moves ok for a big man, but his offense is weak and uninspired (his big boot should be named "Fill In Later", but I think that may already be the title of his entrance theme.) and he has the promo skills of the kid they get to play the sheep in the Christmas pageant. Finding out he's a die-hard Trump dude is just the half-digested peanut in the Turd Sundae that is Big Cass.

Just on Smackdown, DB could give Rusev, Xavier Woods, Big E, Tye Dillinger, etc. a shot first.

I disagree. Cass has a great Big Boot, and facing someone like Bryan could let him show what he's actually capable of (unlike his previous singles feud with Enzo).

Also, if they play into the fact that the news that Cass was healthy and returning to the ring broke the same day as (and was immediately overshadowed by) Bryan's return, they have the makings of a good short "Welcome Back" program for the both of them.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Does Bryan actually have any say in who he puts over? He's been begging to wrestle for three years, I doubt that the first thing he would do after they give in is to refuse to work with the guy they want him to.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Cass reminds me of a poor man's Test.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Not going to lie, I said "oh no!" out loud when I saw what the jobber tag team that fought the War Raiders were wearing.

And then they got turbo murdered.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Cass reminds me of a poor man's Test.

I was going to one up you with "a poor man's Lance Hoyt", but that took it one tragic back tattoo too far.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    A poor man's version of either of those guys is still a better wrestler than Cass tbh.

• Options
    I've always thought of Lance Hoyt as poor man's Test, so poor man's Hoyt would be like a broke guy's Test I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Feuding with big cass is a waste of Daniel Bryan’s white hot momentum

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Feuding with big cass is a waste of Daniel Bryan’s white hot momentum

A Waste of Daniel Bryan’s White Hot Momentum is the title of the book about his WWE career.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Hopefully Cass is just a tall guy for Bryan to squash because good God is he bland. He did alright on his own in NXT but "a serviceable job I can't remember anything about" isn't exactly high praise when you're working on the same program every day under the direct supervision of legends like Dusty Rhodes and Norman Smiley.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    my only problem with the feud is I'm worried Cass comes out on top since arguably he needs it more (he has no real singles career, if they see anything for him he should be returning to be successful at least in the early going)

and I don't think Bryan losing to Cass matters much for him, in as much as he's never gonna cool off or lose value, but I don't really feel like watching him lose to Cass.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Reportedly, all of the best seats (also the only ones that will be on camera) at the Greatest Royal Rumble are reserved as family tickets and require a man to bring at least one woman with him, single men can only purchase the cheap seats.

So

Saudia Arabia wants to have women on camera so that it looks good for them, at the show where they banned women from competing

Cool

Cool cool cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    DDT have put up all their English recap shows up on YouTube for free. They're the full events with English commentary. Events are:

Into The Fight 2018
    D-Oh Grand Prix 2018 Final
    Tokyo Joshi Pro's January 4th show (which I'm linking here because the main event, Reika Saiki vs Miyu Yamashita, is in the running for my women's MOTY thus far)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDU4ED8p38
    Never Mind 2017
    UCHIKOMI! Presents God Bless DDT 2017
    DDT Special 2017

Thank you for posting these videos, Sweeney! I'd been meaning to make a post about them but it kept slipping my mind.

I've been listening to these as background noise at work for the past week and Mr HAKU is just delightful. He's quick with interpreting promos and explaining backgrounds of characters, and most importantly he's clearly confident and comfortable doing commentary. The only minor issues I have with them is the audio is very uneven, meaning you can hear the commentators very well but the audience and music are barely audible in some parts. But overall they're good and would be even better if they subtitled the video packages. Also, for some reason they didn't include Who's Gonna Top? 2017 which is a shame because the main event of that show was great.

This definitely isn't going to be for everyone, but here are the matches from each show I recommend for anyone interested (Spoilered for length)
    DDT Special

(The card for this show was determined by the previous month's fan vote, which is what the numbers next to their names during the opening mean and why some members of different units are teaming up. Second place won an Extreme title match, first place won an Openweight title match)

Daisuke Sasaki vs HARASHIMA, Extreme Championship TLC match - The Ace of DDT vs the bad boy who just doesn't give a shit. HARASHIMA clearly went into the fan vote with the hope of winning and getting to challenge Konosuke Takeshita, who beat him for the Openweight title eight months prior. Instead he got the consolation prize of fighting Sasaki, who has spent the past two years wreaking havoc on DDT as leader of DAMNATION and wrestling hardcore matches in a hungover daze.

Konosuke Takeshita vs Danshoku Dino, KO-D Openweight Championship - I don't blame anyone for skipping this match because, well, it's Dino and he's gross. That said, this is one of the more interesting title matches from Takeshita's seemingly endless reign. Takeshita has been described as destined for DDT. He was a fan since a teenager, debuted with the company at the age of 16, and is now their champion. But despite being "The Future," he came in at a laughable 7th place in the fan vote and now has to deal with "The Icon" of DDT's past.

Honestly, I remember this entire show being good. There were also some fun guest spots throughout the show, including Big Japan Strong World Heavyweight Champion Hideki Suzuki and Ultimo Dragon.

God Bless DDT

Kota Umeda vs Yuki Ueno - These two are representatives of DDT's rookie/developmental brand, DNA. The match is very short, around five minutes, but it gives you an idea of how eager these younger guys are to prove themselves. This was also Kota Umeda's first Korakuen show following an injury that kept him out of action for over a year.

Daisuke Sasaki vs Soma Takao, Extreme Championship No DQ Match - Takao is a member of Smile Squash, the unit led by HARASHIMA, so this is a natural sequel to the brutal TLC match that Sasaki and HARASHIMA had at the prior show.

HARASHIMA & Naomi Marufuji vs Konosuke Takeshita & Akito, KO-D Tag Team Championship - This match-up is neat because Akito is a former member of Smile Squash but left and joined up with Takeshita to form All Out after Takeshita beat HARASHIMA for the title. So there's a lot of tension between HARASHIMA and both guys. Also, Marufuji is here. DDT sure does love their special guests.

Never Mind

HARASHIMA & Naomi Marufuji vs Daisuke Sasaki & Tetsuya Endo, KO-D Tag Team Championship - DAMNATION continues to be a thorn in HARASHIMA's side as Endo looks to prove that him beating HARASHIMA in the King of DDT tournament over the summer wasn't a fluke.

Tokyo Joshi Pro 1/4 Korakuen

Reika Saiki vs Miyu Yamashita - I echo Sweeney, this match was really good and much more than you'd normally expect from TJP. It's clear why they've positioned Miyu as their top wrestler.

D-Oh Grand Prix Finals

Shunma Katsumata, MAO, & Makoto Oishi vs Sanshiro Takagi, Toru Owashi, & Kazuki Hirata - This is the final match of idol-themed unit NWA. Nothing stand-out, but it's good comedy (Hirata is pissed that NWA gets to perform multiple songs while his Tokyo Go entrance got cut). A very sweet way for NWA to disband.

Shuji Ishikawa vs HARASHIMA, D-Oh Grand Prix Final Match - The Ace of DDT vs The Big Dog of DAMNATION. A great hard-hitting match that would have been better if the ring hadn't broken half way through.

Into the Fight

Tag Team Rumble - A short, fun match. This is part of the Sanshiro Takagi/Munenori Sawa storyline leading into Judgement. After reuniting, they set out an open challenge for a Falls Count Anywhere Tag Team Match at Sumo Hall, and a lot of people want in on the fun.

KUDO, Masahiro Takanashi, & Yukio Sakaguchi vs Ryota Nakatsu, Fuminore Abe, & Ryuichi Sekine, KO-D Six Man Tag Team Championship - This is an inter-brand match, with the challengers representing the DDT sub-brand BASARA. The match itself is fine, the post-match Shuten-doji storyline is what I'm really recommending.

Yuko Miyamoto vs Shunma Katsumata, Extreme Championship Hardcore Match - Miyamoto was finally the person to end Sasaki's fantastic title reign just before the new year. Shunma, the newest member of All Out, wants to show that he's more than just a pretty idol boy. And what better way to do that than challenge a well known deathmatch guy? This was like watching a deathmatch baby being born.

Daisuke Sekimoto & Shuji Ishikawa vs HARASHIMA & Takeshita - Awesome tag team match that served as a preview for the final two matches of Judgement. HARASHIMA and Takeshita have try to put their differences aside to take on the two big boys from Big Japan.

This was also a show that was fun and good to watch all the way through.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Also, the weekly Maji Manji show that DDT is doing has been better than any Korakuen they've done this year (please note, DAMNATION Illegal Produce Day was last year and the New Year Shuffle Tag Tournament was an inter-promotional show).

But yeah, so far it's been an easy to watch show that centers around its own tournament but also blends in existing DDT storylines, and it involves members of the DDT, DNA, and Tokyo Joshi rosters. Good stuff.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Excalibur apparently started tonight's PWG show by saying they found out that the sale of the American Legion Hall hasn't closed yet, and there's a possibility they hold more shows there after May 25.

Frankly, as much as I love the place, they really should move to the Globe Theater permanently.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    my only problem with the feud is I'm worried Cass comes out on top since arguably he needs it more (he has no real singles career, if they see anything for him he should be returning to be successful at least in the early going)

and I don't think Bryan losing to Cass matters much for him, in as much as he's never gonna cool off or lose value, but I don't really feel like watching him lose to Cass.

Bryan losing to Cass sure seems like a way to create a less talented alt-Right Roman Reigns.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I went back to Spring Break super excited for the Penta/Gage match. Penta was one of my fav parts of LU and I've never seen Gage but at least he's infamous.

Instead I got a boring ass match of two dudes hitting each other with wood and then Gage hitting the worst fucking chokeslam for the win.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Since I stopped watching Lucha Underground I've started to suspect that Pentagon Jr might not actually be that good. I struggle to think of any of his indie matches that have really stood out for me, like I know I've watched most of them but I remember absolutely nothing about them.

• Options
    It could be that he was just super helped by the TV format getting his character across super well.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Starr vs Quackenbush was fine but it never really reached a good climax and I feel like the story in the ring and the story on commentary were wildly different and thus neither really worked.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    last year i saw penta in like...three matches i think? i was jazzed cause i had heard a lot about him but every one was underwhelming, including his match with zsj which i didn’t think possible

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They made an event called The Greatest Royal Rumble?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Not just a great Royal Rumble, the Greatest Royal Rumble. And we'll make the Saudis pay for it!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TNA's Scott D'Amore did a great interview with SI on the company's future https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/04/20/impact-wrestling-scott-damore-interview

• Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Since I stopped watching Lucha Underground I've started to suspect that Pentagon Jr might not actually be that good. I struggle to think of any of his indie matches that have really stood out for me, like I know I've watched most of them but I remember absolutely nothing about them.

I've definitely started to notice that each Pentagon match I remember loving has been a multiman match, like him teaming with Fenix, or the most recent one where he fought Fenix and Aries in the Mania weekend card

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Didn't realize the bar is going to Smackdown

It feels like raw gas a way more stacked women's roster and Smackdown has a way more stacked tag roster right? I don't remember everything that happened clearly

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Smackdown has Becky, Asuka, the Iconics and Charlotte along with Carmella, Naomi and Absolution

So it's not too shabby at all

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.