As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yeah he was saying the labor for the job to lift the engine and take it apart would be immense. I've tried a few shops and the estimate is $3500 for labour usually. Some places were even higher. I think parts were around $1000

Don't really want to put that kind of money into it when I've got another car, was hoping to just get more life out of it.

EDIT: I might see if I can get a mechanic just to locate the leak, no one specifically told me where it was just that it is really common with the car. I didn't think they would be able to tell the specific issue without taking it apart

Dixon on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

To be fair, the Gold Coast is like our Florida.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Ugh. Got crunched today in a parking lot. Someone put a big crumple into my right rear panel, just underneath the gas cap.

Hey, same thing happened to me. Dent in my right rear quarter panel. Only I was driving down the road.

Here, one of them new fangled moving pictures...
    https://youtu.be/B8JasIOFYsI

Couldn't figure out how to flip the second half of the video. Wasn't that bad though. A dent and tore the bumper up on that side.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So the new C8 Corvette seems pretty nifty.

495hp, 470 lb-ft of torque, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, starting "under $60,000."

I think Chevy just put the sports car market on blast. The exterior looks freaking great to me (an angry ferarri), finally ditching the huge hood proportions that have been part of the look of Corvettes since the C4. Now the 'vette will look right at home next to Ferraris and McLarens, and it will keep up or beat them on the track and the street, for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not sold on the spaceship cockpit interior quite yet, but I'll wait until I can see it in person before making a final judgement.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    $59,999 is technically under $60k.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I fully expect it to only be a few dollars under $60k. But still, even rounding up to 60k, that's a hell of a lot of performance, with mid-engine supercar looks, for the price. If the interior fit & finish are good enough, I personally would be hard pressed to spend 250k+ for a McLaren when I could get this Corvette at 80 or 90k (after adding in some options).

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    That's wild. That's how much my Q60S cost.

Wait. That's how much it cost CDN. So that 'vette is probably $80-90K CDN starting. That makes more sense.

The 'vette has been, for the past 20 years I think, the lowest cost entry point to the supercar category. That's a good look, though.

I've never driven one, but my dad used to move cars part time for dealerships and he drove a corvette once and said the cabin noise was insane.

• Options
    Oh, dang, it's being offered at $70k CDN.

That's close enough that I could have considered it.

It would be an idiotic car for me to buy, up here in YK, but damn.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    One day I'd love a C3. I missed the boat on when they were cheap, obviously, and they're not getting any younger, but for my money the C3 'Vette is one of the best looking cars ever made.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I'll just copy/paste my thoughts from the SE++ thread. I worked on the variable valve timing software for the LT2 engine, got to spend a couple weeks with the car last year.
    mrahmani wrote:
    Hey, I worked on this before I left GM, I can finally talk about it!

They talked a lot about interior space, but it felt snug to me. Not excessively tight, but less space than my C5 Corvette had. Possibly the open hatch was helping in the old Vette, giving the illusion of more space.

The HVAC button row is dumb and clearly the result of engineering being handed the design sketch and said "ok now make it work"

It's quick, but it didn't feel 500hp quick to me. Admittedly, preproduction calibration, and I was working out some engine issues anyway. I'm also told my speed perception is broken. It does make an excellent noise though. I've never been in a Ferrari to compare, but imagine an LS V8 6 inches behind your head. It's great.

Boooo no manual. The interior design wouldn't allow it anyway. That's my single biggest disappointment, if there was a manual I would seriously consider buying this in 3 years when my student loans are paid off.

Price is nuts, I expected mid 70s starting.
    Nova_C wrote: »

Wait a bit longer, and you might just see a "practical" one...

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    hmmm... an AWD mid-engine 'vette would be pretty nuts! (or maybe a hybrid with electric motors in the frunk powering the front wheels?)

• Options
    I'll just copy/paste my thoughts from the SE++ thread. I worked on the variable valve timing software for the LT2 engine, got to spend a couple weeks with the car last year.
    mrahmani wrote:
    Hey, I worked on this before I left GM, I can finally talk about it!

They talked a lot about interior space, but it felt snug to me. Not excessively tight, but less space than my C5 Corvette had. Possibly the open hatch was helping in the old Vette, giving the illusion of more space.

The HVAC button row is dumb and clearly the result of engineering being handed the design sketch and said "ok now make it work"

It's quick, but it didn't feel 500hp quick to me. Admittedly, preproduction calibration, and I was working out some engine issues anyway. I'm also told my speed perception is broken. It does make an excellent noise though. I've never been in a Ferrari to compare, but imagine an LS V8 6 inches behind your head. It's great.

Boooo no manual. The interior design wouldn't allow it anyway. That's my single biggest disappointment, if there was a manual I would seriously consider buying this in 3 years when my student loans are paid off.

Price is nuts, I expected mid 70s starting.

Well, the boat has sailed. I love my Q60S and I ain't taking the bath that would be selling it after only 2 or 3 years.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    No manual, which is a crime against sports cars. Hell of a car otherwise.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Isn't it common these days for super cars to have no manual?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the manual gearbox has died. I love the feeling of connection that comes with it, but the manufacturers just aren’t going to make them anymore. Dual clutch flappy paddles for as long as nonelectric vehicles keep getting made is where we are at.

• Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    No manual, which is a crime against sports cars. Hell of a car otherwise.

You're both right!

• Options

Possibly. I still consider a crime :)

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It is. I still hate it.

This car, at this price, with a manual, I would have saved every penny I could scrape together to buy one. New. Small annoyances aside, this car fucking rules, and the price means it's something I could legitimately buy in 3 years. But no manual, no sale.

mRahmani on
  • Options

It is. I still hate it.

This car, at this price, with a manual, I would have saved every penny I could scrape together to buy one. New. Small annoyances aside, this car fucking rules, and the price means it's something I could legitimately buy in 3 years. But no manual, no sale.

Somewhat the same thing with the new Supra. In both cases, I looked at the release, realized they didn't have a manual, and closed the tab immediately. I'd rather buy a high-mileage car with a manual than either of these cars in an auto.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm willing to give up the manual for the sheer performance these cars offer. Mustang is still high on my list and that will be a manual though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Reading this from CNN on the new vette.
    The base version of the 2020 Corvette Stingray will have a 495-horsepower 6.2-liter V8 engine. It will also have an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. No manual transmission will be offered. Besides being able to shift up or down using the paddles, drivers will be able to uncouple the transmission altogether by pulling on both paddles at once. This will be like holding down the clutch pedal in a car with a manual transmission.

Well, that sounds funky. Guess I need to figure out a way to try it out some time.

• Options
    Apparently, the reason for no manual is packaging. The linkage would go though a sump. So it's a wireless transmission.

• Options
    That seems pretty useless outside of "clutch" kicking the car to initiate oversteer. And if you can't drift with 500hp under your right foot I don't think that will fix it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That seems pretty useless outside of "clutch" kicking the car to initiate oversteer. And if you can't drift with 500hp under your right foot I don't think that will fix it.

(it's for doing clutch-drop burnouts)

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    A modern track day, shot on a Cannon Super8 camera from 1968, with period audio and commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMf5eeqXisM

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I clicked on 1 article about the 2020 Corvette and now the Google Now/Feed/whateveryoucall it on my phone thinks that is all I want to read about.
    I do think it is fun watching all the 60+ year old white men complain to the Wall Street Journal that it is mid engine.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah I can't believe that there is a vehicle being launched with the performance capabilities of the new 'Vette for the price I am seeing and people are bitching about it.

If I could tell them all individually to fuck off and buy a 3 speed auto C3 Corvette with the shitty 180 horsepower smog V8, I would.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Like how people complained that the new Ford GT was only a V6.

Not that I was ever going to buy a Corvette, but I can still admire what Chevy accomplished.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    Like how people complained that the new Ford GT was only a V6.

Not that I was ever going to buy a Corvette, but I can still admire what Chevy accomplished.

The Jaguar XJ220 was another "only" a V6. Granted, it was originally supposed to be a V12, but still.

I mean, I get the traditions of American V8s, and of the Corvette being a front-engined car, but some people just get way too bent out of shape about it if anything changes.

• Options
    Personally I always thought Corvette should have been a mid engine machine anyways. They were leaving a lot on the table with the front engine/rear wheel configuration, at least in terms of performance I care about.

• Options
    I'm trying to think where that leaves the FR sports car sector at that sort of level. Jaguar and Aston Martin... drawing a blank after that.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Ferrari
    Challenger? Mustang? Supra? Miata?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mercedes-Benz has a whole host of front engined GT cars that are crazy, you also have the high end camaro. There's a new lotus incoming, and is the 12c by Alfa still in production?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Camaro is an outright 2+2 FR sports car now.

Of course, it's also dead come 2023, but for the time being...

• Options
    Yeah, my brain completely farted there. Cheers, dudes :lol:

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Ugh. Finally got around to replacing some seals on the Miata. Did all the easy-ish ones. Front crank seal, valve cover gasket, and the CAS o-ring. Also checked the camshaft seals and the oil pump seal. I had replacement ones for those, but the both looked really clean so I opted not to replace.

It would have been pretty easy going except the crankshaft gear was stuck on like it was welded. Took me half a day just to bust it loose, and of course I broke it.

Then after all that it still looks like it’s fucking dripping from somewhere. I’m praying it was just some runoff from when I tried to cleanup that moved around when I lowered the car, because the next likely seal is the oil pan, which is apparently rediculous on a Miata. Like some places recommend just taking the whole engine block out.

It’s not enough of a leak to make it worth it. Probably just move on to replacing the wheels. I wasn’t really expecting more than a few more autocross seasons before the engine was going to need some major work anyway. It does have like 250k miles.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Camaro is an outright 2+2 FR sports car now.

Of course, it's also dead come 2023, but for the time being...

That's ok, the Mustang will keep on trucking, lol.

• Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Ugh. Finally got around to replacing some seals on the Miata. Did all the easy-ish ones. Front crank seal, valve cover gasket, and the CAS o-ring. Also checked the camshaft seals and the oil pump seal. I had replacement ones for those, but the both looked really clean so I opted not to replace.

It would have been pretty easy going except the crankshaft gear was stuck on like it was welded. Took me half a day just to bust it loose, and of course I broke it.

Then after all that it still looks like it’s fucking dripping from somewhere. I’m praying it was just some runoff from when I tried to cleanup that moved around when I lowered the car, because the next likely seal is the oil pan, which is apparently rediculous on a Miata. Like some places recommend just taking the whole engine block out.

It’s not enough of a leak to make it worth it. Probably just move on to replacing the wheels. I wasn’t really expecting more than a few more autocross seasons before the engine was going to need some major work anyway. It does have like 250k miles.

Yeah, pull the motor. Have a high compression 2.2 built, and throw a GT2560RS turbo on it.

(and do the sump gasket)

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I've fallen down the rabbit hole of car detailing but I think I like it? I briefly got into it when I got my GTI five years ago, but after the first year I mostly got out of the habit of regular bi-weekly washes. A big part of that blame falls on the cumbersome non-pressurized foam gun and method of washing I was using. Little did I know then for not much more money I could have gotten an electric pressure washer and made the job so much easier.

This year and with my new car I decided just go to whole hog and get all new products and actually make it a hobby. I figured for what I paid to have my car professionally detailed I can get most of what I need to do it myself (or get new/better versions of products I already had). That hasn't entirely worked out, but it also comes down to me seeing this as an ongoing investment in a hobby and to keep my car looking good long term. Closer inspection revealed my paint needs more work that I thought. On the plus side, being white hides the imperfections much better than a dark color would.

I initially bought the cheap Harbor Freight DA polisher but returned it after getting a feel for it and the reviews confirming it's junk. Now I'm just going to do what I usually do and make the upfront investment in the best tool(s) I can reasonably afford. For some reason Amazon and the manufacturer, Maxshine M15 Pro, pulled from sale or went out of stock of the primary DA I was going to buy. At least the 3" Adams DA is still readily available but now I may go with my gut and invest in a Rupes LHR12 Duetto. I've got another week to mull it over to see if the Maxshine M15 Pro comes back in stock, look closer into the Adams Swirl Killer 15mm, or step down to a lower end Maxshine. In all honestly though, I have the money for the Rupes and getting/using it excites me far more than any of the other options.

There are worse/more expensive hobbies to have, and it does get me outside which is something I definitely don't do enough. I also can't argue against the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done and being proud of how good my car looks.

Edit: The Maxshine is back in stock but I still think I'm going to get the Rupes anyways.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Speaking of car detailing, I finally got around to polishing my headlights and uh I'm really impressed with how they came out. I really should have taken care of this sooner but because the light degradation was so gradual I don't think I noticed it like I should have.

i31gU5Qh.jpg
    Y6d6X8Eh.jpg
    9kWDN4Mh.jpg

It took me like 2 hours...with a power drill. I cant imagine doing that by hand.

Also, I hate my parking spot.