As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    GW has the Skulls set
    You may have noticed a common theme amongst models and scenery pieces from the Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Age of Sigmar ranges – skulls. They’re everywhere, decorating the walls of Khornate keeps and hanging from the belts of fearsome warriors. But we don’t think there are enough skulls out there…

Enter the Citadel Skulls. This is a box of 340 (yes, three hundred and forty!) plastic skulls, designed for the hobbyist to decorate scenery, bases and models as they see fit. There are even 20 extra jawbones!

Here’s a breakdown of the number and type of the 340 (!) skulls in the box:

- 82 human skulls with jawbones;
    - 86 human skulls without jawbones;
    - 15 human jawbones;
    - 60 assorted damaged human skulls;
    - 2 giants’ skulls;
    - 1 Morghast skull (in 2 components);
    - 1 beast skull (in 2 components);
    - 4 small horned skulls;
    - 4 medium horned skulls;
    - 3 large horned skulls;
    - 7 bird skulls;
    - 2 Chaos beast skulls;
    - 6 plaguebearer skulls;
    - 6 Bloodletter skulls;
    - 10 T'au skulls;
    - 5 Kroot skulls;
    - 6 alien skulls;
    - 21 Genestealer Hybrid skulls;
    - 20 Ork skulls without jaws;
    - 5 Ork jawbones;
    - 7 Ork skulls with jaws open;
    - 7 Ork skulls with jaws.

- as well as 15 human jawbones;
    - 5 Ork jawbones.

Skulls!
    Sometimes, I wonder: are the fearmongers right? Is gaming a dangerous hobby that can lead folks down a troubled path in life?

But then I see that Games Workshop sells a pack of 340 tiny plastic skulls and I think "No. No, we are all very rational, well-balanced, and emotionally mature people with absolutely no deep-seated subconscious issues and hangups."

It wasn't the scantily clad torture nuns with giant chainsaw swords that tipped you off to our general mental well being?

Thank you so very much for reminding me those models exist... I've been hunting around for a set of models I can use as Acolytes to go along with the Eisenhorn model I picked up earlier this year and those are great. Just grabbed three on ebay for $10.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I picked up an Inquisitor model around a year ago for an Inquisition themed narrative campaign that never ended up happening. Although I never got around to using them it was a ton of fun kitbashing a bunch of random models together to build his retinue.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know a site that I can buy some skull helmets for Wolf Priests? I like the wolf skull helmet that the new Ulrik carries but I cannot find any where to buy some that look like that.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Co-op, kinda PVE I guess, in video game parlance? The board and enemies will act automatically according to their behaviour tables and the nature of the scenario being played whilst the players have to work together to try not to all die. The AoS versions are quite good fun!
    Late, but, thank you. Friend just pre-ordered based on this as we wanted something a bit different than just PvP.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bought that GW skull box. The plan is to model some cork under that wulfen's foot and put skulls all over the cork. Should I put some texture paint over the cork? Will the skulls still stick well with glue or should I show the skulls into the texture paint so it hardens around them?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Depends on your general base scheme, but I've found cork works just fine without any extra texture as a stand in for vaguely volcanic rock, if you're covering it in skulls you probably won't need to do anything extra to the cork unless it looks weird. Superglue should hold both cork to base and skulls to cork, though the cork can chip quite easily if it gets knocked around too much, so you might want to varnish it maybe?

• Options
    Varnish before gluing skulls on it or after?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Pva is the one you want though
    Pva or white glue

• Options
    I should have some pva glue some where.

I bought the Torvald Okrsbane commander. The head is so boring for it. I want to try to find something more interesting but I feel like all the heads with my extras might look small. I'm not sure if Primaris heads are the same size as basic Space Marine heads.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Pva or white glue
    Are you saying that PVA glue should be used to glue skulls to the cork, or that PVA glue should be used to "varnish" the cork?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bought that GW skull box. The plan is to model some cork skulls under that wulfen's foot and put skulls all over the cork skulls. Should I put some texture paint over the cork skulls? Will the skulls still stick well with glue or should I show the skulls into the texture paint so it hardens around them?

This seems more 40k like.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Bought that GW skull box. The plan is to model some cork skulls under that wulfen's foot and put skulls all over the cork skulls. Should I put some texture paint over the cork skulls? Will the skulls still stick well with glue or should I show the skulls into the texture paint so it hardens around them?

You need to replace the texture paint with more skulls.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

Pva or white glue
    Are you saying that PVA glue should be used to glue skulls to the cork, or that PVA glue should be used to "varnish" the cork?

I'd just PVA the cork and then superglue the skulls on afterwards.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

You need to replace the texture paint with more skulls.

More skulls, tinier skulls.
    Texture paint the skulls with, like, in scale gerbil skulls.
    Khorne doesn't care.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The rumours for Chapter Approved 2018 are already looking fucking weird.

TfjFwkp.jpg

And apparently this army is going to be 300-400 points cheaper???

18249beb3b26e19effcb6108aa40ed790ef10c94.jpg

If these turn out to be true I'm sort of... rapidly losing faith in GW's ability to actually provide balance updates. I was hoping they'd improve over time but things are real wonky.

• Options

Pva or white glue

I was quite tried yesterday having only 2 hours of sleep and a brutal couple of days at work that is all I could coherently muster

• Options

Pva or white glue

So... does that mean that PVA should be used as a varnish, or as an adhesive?

Sorry, I'm not even the original question-asker, I'm just very curious because I've never used cork for basing and this seems like useful information; I'm just trying to understand it.

• Options

Pva or white glue

So... does that mean that PVA should be used as a varnish, or as an adhesive?

Sorry, I'm not even the original question-asker, I'm just very curious because I've never used cork for basing and this seems like useful information; I'm just trying to understand it.

Coat the cork in pva or white glue to create a shell for it the cork will absorb most of the glue The two or more light coats ideal

This is how a lot of people in cosplay make stuff with a smooth finish when they use ABS mats or wall foam

• Options
    I should have some pva glue some where.

I bought the Torvald Okrsbane commander. The head is so boring for it. I want to try to find something more interesting but I feel like all the heads with my extras might look small. I'm not sure if Primaris heads are the same size as basic Space Marine heads.

They are the same size just a fair warning some of the other series of helms look out of place on a primaris the bare heads don't

• Options
    Whoa, interesting! It never even occurred to me that cork would absorb the paint. Duh.

Thank you!

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Most shoulders and heads look fine on primaris, because small marines have oversized heads and shoulders. When put on bigger dudes they’re actually more to scale.

You can get some Elmer’s, mix it 50/50 with water, and spray it on all your surfaces instead of painting it on. Makes it a lot faster.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    In that vein, this upgrade pack

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Deathwatch-Upgrade-Pack

Ought to work fine with push-fit Primaris Reivers and a Primaris Librarian, right?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    In that vein, this upgrade pack

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Deathwatch-Upgrade-Pack

Ought to work fine with push-fit Primaris Reivers and a Primaris Librarian, right?

Sadly no. The push fit reivers have shoulder pads already so you can't use the upgrade kit shoulder pads on them with out a lot of chopping.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eh, I'm not really aggrieved by that I suppose. I re-painted them black and just made the right shoulderpads all silver; they look like budget Deathwatch guys now. I will do the Space Marine Heroes I got in the same fashion.

Should work for the Primaris guys though, right? These homies?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines-Primaris-Chaplain
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Primaris-Space-Marines-Librarian-Epistolary

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Check the sprue pics. Looks like the Librarian has both shoulder pads separate, but the Chappy only has the left separate.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Left separate is ok though, that's the one that gets Deathwatch'd

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    trajan still won't be worth taking

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Anyone check out mechanicus yet? It seems to be reviewing pretty well.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It looks like 40k XCOM. Which seems cool.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has it and says it's fantastic. He enjoys XCOM and 40k, and it sounds like a solid combo of the two

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Mechanicus is pretty great so far.

Random thoughts in no particular order:
    • The audio in this game is pretty fucking great. The distorted take on binaric cant between the Magos is awesome. The music feels super appropriate.
    • You seem to be limited in how many missions you can take. The longer you take on a mission the higher the overall Necron Awaken gauge goes. Each mission for me was averaging around 3% added to the gauge. I'm guessing that % will increase as missions get harder.
    • Each of your Tech Priests can be upgraded in a number of different ways. You gain resources to spend on upgrades giving them new skills as well as unlocking new physical body upgrades. This gives them more hit points/shields but also more upgrade slots for weapons and equipment.
    • The cognition point system is pretty great. You gain cognition points through a number of means (accessing Necron pylons, getting your Servitors hit by enemies, scanning downed enemies). Those points allow your Priests to move further, to shoot more powerful guns, use certain equipment. There's a balance in how you setup your Priests to ensure they have the tools they need, but also to have the cognition points to use them as needed.
    • Beyond your Tech Priests you have "Troops". You start with Servitors unlocked and can gain access to various Skitarii after certain missions. Servitors are free melee only and slow, but they have the benefit of gaining you a cognition point each time they're attacked. The other Skitarii can be more powerful, but cost resources, and no cognition ability.
    • The banter between your various sub Magos is pretty great so far. Each is a trope on some end of the spectrum (the knowledge obsessed, the super religious, the morale compass).
    • There's less positioning concern, sorta. You don't get cover behind pillars so unlike XCOM you're a bit more free to move about. At the same time the Necrons can hit like a truck so trying to balance where you have your Priests compared to Troops is important still.

Very much looking forward to playing more.

• Options
    I think I want to paint my Primaris Space Wolves a darker grey and the normal Space Wolves they blue grey color.

The original Space Wolves were a dark grey, right?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I seem to recall that being the case as well, though a quick glance at Lexicanum didn't seem to have an answer one way or the other.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If I was gonna do space wolves they’d be colored by rank. Blood claws would be a big bright “it’s a boy!” original baby blue. Long fangs would be the dark 30k gray. Rune Priests would be that regular blue, and then the Wolf Lords would be light gray.

And then Lukas the trickster would be red.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I mentioned seeing it before, and Matrias posted an example pic he found somewhere, but going for a very near-white icy blue can look really sharp with the typical red, yellow, & black markings:
    Matrias wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Once upon a time, when the US GW website updated a couple times a week with articles about gameplay, lore, painting tips, and/or showcasing image dumps of armies sent in by fans, there was a very cool Space Wolf army that was painted in a way that really played up the ice theme (with a much paler, almost-white color), including rime texturing on the surfaces of big stuff like the dreadnoughts.

But otherwise, yes, greys seem to suit them much better for the primary color. I mean, wolves are grey, so it makes sense.

Edit: I really wish I'd saved the pics of it. The other army I wish I'd saved was a heavily-modded Tau army that were modeled and painted to look like they were being assimilated Borg-style by Necron scarabs. I don't know which rulebook the player used for them, but it looked really cool. The big standout was a hammerhead they broke a big crack down one side of, then attached a bunch of scarabs in and around to look like they were swarming out of it like something from a horror movie.

Speaking of icy Space Wolves, I tripped over this tonight and really liked it

This is what I like to think the armour looks liks canonically.

Also, if you like a more 30k-ish grey color scheme for your space wolves, @Matrias' own army is great too.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I mentioned seeing it before, and Matrias posted an example pic he found somewhere, but going for a very near-white icy blue can look really sharp with the typical red, yellow, & black markings:
    Matrias wrote: »
    Once upon a time, when the US GW website updated a couple times a week with articles about gameplay, lore, painting tips, and/or showcasing image dumps of armies sent in by fans, there was a very cool Space Wolf army that was painted in a way that really played up the ice theme (with a much paler, almost-white color), including rime texturing on the surfaces of big stuff like the dreadnoughts.

But otherwise, yes, greys seem to suit them much better for the primary color. I mean, wolves are grey, so it makes sense.

Edit: I really wish I'd saved the pics of it. The other army I wish I'd saved was a heavily-modded Tau army that were modeled and painted to look like they were being assimilated Borg-style by Necron scarabs. I don't know which rulebook the player used for them, but it looked really cool. The big standout was a hammerhead they broke a big crack down one side of, then attached a bunch of scarabs in and around to look like they were swarming out of it like something from a horror movie.

Speaking of icy Space Wolves, I tripped over this tonight and really liked it

This is what I like to think the armour looks liks canonically.

Also, if you like a more 30k-ish grey color scheme for your space wolves, @Matrias' own army is great too.

I am summoned!

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    I think I want to paint my Primaris Space Wolves a darker grey and the normal Space Wolves they blue grey color.

The original Space Wolves were a dark grey, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdzNh1JGE4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakz6mMDTOM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAB8UsSSos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxZc-KHW7KI

Well it varies

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The rumours for Chapter Approved 2018 are already looking fucking weird.
    Those are very odd.

And as for the Eldar bit, maybe they're just reducing the points of unused stuff like Wraithknights?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Today's teaser is a tactical map of GW's HQ in Nottingham
    Nov20-RumourEngine5jvfewh.jpg
    https://goo.gl/maps/GxA2T6cFxpL2

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, that is awesome, but what is it a part of? The surrounding rim could be Imperial or T’au….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.