As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Painting this terminator is a nightmare. I am convinced this model is God's vengeance on hobbyists.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was wondering what would be some good models to get started on painting with. I was thinking some Primaris Marines? Big-ish figures (comparatively speaking, I mean), lots of clean simple surfaces, not excessively detailed... I figured either them or some Ironjawz or Stormcast from AoS for similar reasons, although I'd say they're a step up in complexity.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Primaris are pretty near perfect for learning on.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I dunno, for learning the basics of holding a brush and slapping paint on miniatures sure primaris are great. But you’re not gonna paint any flesh, or cloth, or textures of any kind. That’s why I like those starter sets with a couple marines/deathguard or sigmar/Khorne. You get a full range of stuff to practice on instead of just flat metal.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I was wondering what would be some good models to get started on painting with. I was thinking some Primaris Marines? Big-ish figures (comparatively speaking, I mean), lots of clean simple surfaces, not excessively detailed... I figured either them or some Ironjawz or Stormcast from AoS for similar reasons, although I'd say they're a step up in complexity.
    Badablack wrote: »
    I dunno, for learning the basics of holding a brush and slapping paint on miniatures sure primaris are great. But you’re not gonna paint any flesh, or cloth, or textures of any kind. That’s why I like those starter sets with a couple marines/deathguard or sigmar/Khorne. You get a full range of stuff to practice on instead of just flat metal.

The AOS Storm of Sigmar set is being discontinued, but if you can snag one it's $33USD and you get 13 models with a nice mix between heavy armor and lighter armor/bare skin.

First Strike for Warhammer 40K is $40 and you get a couple more models with basically the same split (armor and bare flesh), only the bare flesh is zombified and rotting.

Both boxes act as very cheap "Starter sets" in the fact that they both come with rules and dice, but neither set gives you full units for all of the models in the box, meaning you won't be able to use them in Age of Sigmar or Warhammer 40K proper without getting some more models. They both come with a bunch of scenarios that you can play using nothing more than the models that come in the box though, so you'll be able to start playing games using nothing more than the dudes you just painted from the box.

The big cost when you're just starting is brushes and paints though. You can get a starter set of sorts for paints from GW for another $33, but the paint pots are much smaller than the normal ones, and the "starter" brush that is included isn't super great. Still though, it'll give you everything you need to slap some paint on some models and give the hobby a try.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I am a big fan of the GW starter boxes, the minis are usually top quality and those starter boxes can be great vaule (for GW).

However, If you just want something to slap some paint on and are not building towards an army then Reaper Miniatures put out some decently priced stuff with a good variety of miniatures.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    I am a big fan of the GW starter boxes, the minis are usually top quality and those starter boxes can be great vaule (for GW).

However, If you just want something to slap some paint on and are not building towards an army then Reaper Miniatures put out some decently priced stuff with a good variety of miniatures.

One caveat is that I find painting on the materials that Reaper's miniatures are made out of a bit trickier than GW's, for some reason. Paint doesn't adhere to it quite as well even when primed.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Rogue Trader skirmish game that leaked a little while ago is in fact Kill Team: Rogue Trader and a board game in its own right. Sort of like Necromunda: Underhive in that both are board games that act as an entry point into the skirmish game.

I hope this (coupled with the success of things like Shadespire) means we'll be seeing more single box warbands. We know you'll be able to use regular 40k minis but we've also seen things like that Genestealer Cult gunslinger mini. Fingers crossed for an Inquisitor warband.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I hope these Necrons turn out how I want when I finally paint them. This has been such a pain.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Stripping paint can certainly be a pain in the ass. I kinda broke the side sponsons on my old predator when I paint stripped it. I need to figure out how I'm gonna fix it.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Stripping paint can certainly be a pain in the ass. I kinda broke the side sponsons on my old predator when I paint stripped it. I need to figure out how I'm gonna fix it.

Yea, I've had some breaks as well. Destroyer arms and cannons, Warriors ankles breaking, arms breaking off, some were broken a while again and I don't have guns for them, most of the Gauss Flayer breaks are the entire barrel portion.

Part of me just wants to stop with the Warriors and Scarabs and just buy new ones. I have 23 Scarab bases so 92 Scarabs or so and a bunch of them are broken off and there are 60 Warriors I'm cleaning off and another 36 sitting in a carry case.

Just gonna finish stripping the paint on them tomorrow, rinse them with water, glue together what I can and see how I feel/figure out what to do with the broken ones tomorrow. It isn't a lot of broken ones but enough to annoy the shit out of me. I have 11 unbuilt Warriors from a start collecting box I bought, 1 of them I turned into a Deathmark.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I don’t think you’ll even need or want that many scarab units anyway, unless there’s some sort of gimmick list you’re running. When I played necrons I just glued most of them directly to the base, with a single flying in the air so I’d have something to grip when I moved them.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I don’t think you’ll even need or want that many scarab units anyway, unless there’s some sort of gimmick list you’re running. When I played necrons I just glued most of them directly to the base, with a single flying in the air so I’d have something to grip when I moved them.

I don't ever even put them in the list. I just wanted to repaint them. I had a bunch from my collection and then got a bunch more from the collection I bought at my LGS years ago. I'll eventually strip the paint from the 36 Necron Warriors in the carrying case along with the two Heavy Destroyers, Sypder, 6 Flayed Ones, and like 10 of those old ass models from the first Necron codex that had the staves. Some Elite unit. I didn't even mean to clean off 60 Warriors. I usually only run 20 to 40 at most. I still want to put together 4 more Warriors to be at an even 100.

I'll probably just end up gluing most of them to the base as well or try to do something neat with them, just gonna be a pain in the ass getting the paint off of those ones since they are so small.

I also might cut of strips of plastic from the sprues to glue to the base of the Gauss Flayers so I at least have something for a rod to sit on and then I can make them look damaged and sparking.

• Options
    TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    Kill Team faq: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KIll_Team_QA.pdf

I'm glad to see that it's going for an alternating activation style game, I think that works a lot better for skirmishes.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    That new ruins kit is some amazing stuff.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The new terrain is sexy. I am so excited. My club already has a skirmish group (Necromunda/Shadespire) so kill team is being fit right in. And my Deathwatch will be perfect for it. I mean I have my chaos too as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Kill Team sounds like a great way to finally play T'au without committing to a full army.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Kill Team sounds like a great way to finally play T'au without committing to a full army.

I think this might be the best part of Kill Team. If you want to paint models from an army but not build the full army and still play Kill Team is perfect. 5-10 infantry models and you are done.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Kill Team is basically exactly what I want from a tabletop game, I'm super fucking hyped for it.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Kill Team in 4th edition was a real treat and I've been hype for it ever since then. And ever since then it has been an utter disappointment.

It looks like they may have finally gotten it right.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hmm new terrain
    4mlfyvdvyk75.png
    It seems that city fight might be resurrected from it's shallow grave

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm new terrain
    4mlfyvdvyk75.png

Its all for Kill Team. Though at the same time it is good for all the things. I want it all.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    From previous iterations of Killteam, did they let you take a decent variety of models? Like say one terminator, one jump pack marine, one tactical guy and a scout all in the same band?

Despite there being zero chance of me getting back into it on a full army scale, there's a still a deep yearning in me to play about with 40k figs so a small skirmish thing could be pretty cool. The thing is when I see a cool looking model I want to play and paint with one of them, not a squad of 10.
    GW wrote:
    Your kill team is a squad of elite warriors, hand-picked by you, consisting of about 5-10 individuals. You construct your kill team model by model – a squad of Space Marines could consist of two Reivers, a missile launcher-wielding Tactical Marine Gunner, a Scout with a sniper rifle and a Primaris Sergeant with a power sword, for instance.

Somebody was listening!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    From previous iterations of Killteam, did they let you take a decent variety of models? Like say one terminator, one jump pack marine, one tactical guy and a scout all in the same band?

Despite there being zero chance of me getting back into it on a full army scale, there's a still a deep yearning in me to play about with 40k figs so a small skirmish thing could be pretty cool. The thing is when I see a cool looking model I want to play and paint with one of them, not a squad of 10.
    GW wrote:
    Your kill team is a squad of elite warriors, hand-picked by you, consisting of about 5-10 individuals. You construct your kill team model by model – a squad of Space Marines could consist of two Reivers, a missile launcher-wielding Tactical Marine Gunner, a Scout with a sniper rifle and a Primaris Sergeant with a power sword, for instance.

Somebody was listening!

Yea, but we still need to buy a $50 box when all we want is 1 model from that box.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm new terrain
    4mlfyvdvyk75.png

Its all for Kill Team. Though at the same time it is good for all the things. I want it all.

This is for AoS and I have been using it in 40k
    m28v7j7r1vf3.png

• Options

GW wrote:

Somebody was listening!

Seeing the space wolf pack
    cnd350ecvqx1.png
    It looks like one marine 2 Primaris and 2 Reivers
    But my brother has tons of questions about the state of the space wolves in what state is the chapter since Warzone Fenris? How do the primaris fit in? and many many more

• Options
    Those are all 5 reivers.

As for the state of Space Wolves, they're one of the few armies without an 8th edition codex yet so ... we'll see?

• Options
    I'm so excited for the new Space Wolves codex.

• Options
    Those are all 5 reivers.

As for the state of Space Wolves, they're one of the few armies without an 8th edition codex yet so ... we'll see?

The two starter box armies they showed, orks and SW, are missing codexes and are slated to be up next or soon at least.

So we will see.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Can't wait to see which units can be used. I'm hoping for some cool units from T'au for kill team.

• Options
    So a few weeks ago there was a guy wearing a Warhammer store workshirt
    I found out today there is a Warhammer Store in town and where it is

• Options
    Is Shadespire the same thing as kill team but for fantasy?

• Options
    Is Shadespire the same thing as kill team but for fantasy?

No. It's a boardgame with deck-building elements. AoS has a skirmish supplement but it's pretty half-baked and hasn't been updated for 2nd edition though really only the rosters would need updating. To add an extra level of confusion the AoS skirmish rules have a mini campaign that takes place in Shadespire.

• Options
    Obe of the biggest impediments to getting into 40K is the cost. I like the skirmish stuff because it means you can get started with a $40 (or less) box of troops.

I wish I could convince people to play Zone Mortalis style games with me more often, maybe Killteam will help.

• Options
    Obe of the biggest impediments to getting into 40K is the cost. I like the skirmish stuff because it means you can get started with a $40 (or less) box of troops.

I wish I could convince people to play Zone Mortalis style games with me more often, maybe Killteam will help.

That was my and other's argument long ago why it was 500 points
    I really wanted to play kill team back then but there was a vocal person saying it was garbage sighting how the guard could not have tanks! {he played orks was the only person I knew of that played a non green tide/ard mech army}

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Can Space Wolves use an Imperial Knight?

Like Knights specific to the Space Wolves.

Stragint on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Can Space Wolves use an Imperial Knight?

Like Knights specific to the Space Wolves.

Not really. But throwing in a S. Heavy Aux. Detachment with a Freeblade and appropriately chosen Qualities and Burdens is totally possible. And there’s nothing stopping you painting him blue-grey either.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    There haven't been chapter specific knights have there? Just imperial or mechanicus aligned?

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Stupid question that I am blanking on,

Dark Eldar are excepted from detachment rules, right? Meaning total number?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Stupid question that I am blanking on,

Dark Eldar are excepted from detachment rules, right? Meaning total number?

Well technically there are no official rules, just suggestions so it us up to your gaming group.

They are not an exception in most tournaments though. The rule of 3 still lives there.

u7stthr17eud.png