Options

Youtubin'

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think you can get a sense for what anime produced with Arcsys' 3D animation techniques would look like by looking at the polish of the actual fight animations, then looking at the polish of the story mode between-fight cutscene animations, and then imagining something in the middle of those. Some of the awkwardness of the story cutscene animations is from the weird pacing they have to follow due to it being a "press x to advance the dialogue box" sort of visual-novel-style presentation, though.

Skip to around 1 minute in:

https://youtu.be/zywVK8aZNow?t=252

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Today Jim levies some heavy criticism on a game made in poor taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpb-dz2tCE

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anime seems to run on very tight budgets and very tight deadlines. I was watching attack on titan as it aired in Japan and sometimes certain parts simply weren’t colored in because they ran out of time.

Thinking about Japanese office and work culture in general and anime falling under one of those “passion artistic jobs” I can only imagine the conditions, hours and pay that most of these people work under must be truly atrocious :(

I've heard horror stories about the work culture in anime, and animation in general. I think it's one of those "36 hour days" type jobs.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah it's very much the norm unfortunately for animation, especially hand-drawn. Computer animation/CGI has actually been a real boon in this regard

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I bet it’s a reserve or something and those bears know they can be chill. Otherwise that seems like a real stupid thing to do.

I unno maybe I don’t know about bears.

That video actually took place on Vancouver Island about thirty minutes from where I live. He made the news for filming a second video encountering another bear.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That guy seems like he has his shit together

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I bet it’s a reserve or something and those bears know they can be chill. Otherwise that seems like a real stupid thing to do.

I unno maybe I don’t know about bears.

The one in the Canadian video are black bears, who tend to be a lot more skittish and shy. The other videos though are brown bears, of which grizzly bears are an American subspecies. Brown bears are larger, more aggressive, and dangerous, because they're apex predators compared to the black bears omnivorous prey mentality.
    Black bears are the only bear where if you see them you don't need to immediately bail. Not that they can't be dangerous, (They still got muscles and claws) but it's extremely rare for them to attack folks.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    e:this isn't the gif thread

cB557 on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    If Black Bears attack though, they'll continue to attack because they're almost always protecting their cubs. Unlike Brown bears who will attack because they're territorial and if you don't present a threat they'll usually give up.

The survival rule is

Brown lay down
    Black fight back

There's also this important advice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrjxG-J1VI

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm kind of sad I never picked up all of the Area 88 series that was made a decade or so back. Only managed to find/acquire 2 of the DVDs, so I have the slip box just sitting there... half full...

Oh wow I remember that anime! Yeah, I think we only ever found one DVD, never did see the rest.

The games were very good also. The arcade version called Area 88 and the English SNES port called UN Squadron

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Ok, this is the second 5SF I've seen with a horse in their living room.

I have bigger questions.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    you don't have a horse in your living room?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Ok, this is the second 5SF I've seen with a horse in their living room.

I have bigger questions.

Yeah, why are they restricting that poor horse to only the common areas? They need a place to sleep, too

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Anime seems to run on very tight budgets and very tight deadlines. I was watching attack on titan as it aired in Japan and sometimes certain parts simply weren’t colored in because they ran out of time.

Thinking about Japanese office and work culture in general and anime falling under one of those “passion artistic jobs” I can only imagine the conditions, hours and pay that most of these people work under must be truly atrocious :(

I've heard horror stories about the work culture in anime, and animation in general. I think it's one of those "36 hour days" type jobs.

There was a conversation on Twitter this past weekend amongst comics artists talking about the physical strain and panic attacks a lot of them experience trying to meet a monthly comic schedule, and I shudder to think of what sorts of things animators go through

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I know that manga artists seem to have hellish schedules, which is why I've never gotten mad when one of them managed to land a cushy contract that lets them take super long hiatuses.

Gundi on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I remember seeing a quote from some old mangaka about work schedules of his contemporaries that was like, "Yeah, they all got 3 hours of sleep a night if they were lucky. Not me, though. I always got 9 or 10. And you know, I may have produced less work than them, but I'm still alive and they're all dead now."

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Fearghaill wrote: »

There was a conversation on Twitter this past weekend amongst comics artists talking about the physical strain and panic attacks a lot of them experience trying to meet a monthly comic schedule, and I shudder to think of what sorts of things animators go through

This is another reason why I support more complete TPBs or anthologies over monthly schedules. It sounds utterly grueling.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the grueling schedule of comics is part of the reason that guys like Greg Land get to have a career

getting your work done on time every month does wonders for your resume

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I know that manga artists seem to have hellish schedules, which is why I've never gotten mad when one of them managed to land a cushy contract that lets them take super long hiatuses.

the schedule that's usually thrown around is this one (spoilered for slight size):
    HUI3CBw.jpg
    "hellish" just about covers it, yeah

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Wait

Breakfast at 8am on Monday, then lunch 30 hours later?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Enjoy your manga!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Wait

Breakfast at 8am on Monday, then lunch 30 hours later?

I'm not hearing a problem *pats tummy*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Neveron wrote: »

the schedule that's usually thrown around is this one (spoilered for slight size):
    HUI3CBw.jpg

There's no excuse for this kind of crunch.

If you can't afford to hire one or two more artists to lighten the load you don't deserve to be in business.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    RT800 wrote: »

I am eternally confused how anyone, writing something on the internet, can fuck up spelling something like Ouija. Like for more common things I actually sort of get it, it seems like a simple word you use all of the time so you misspell and don't even bother checking, like adding an extra r into forest or something. But Ouija is such a specific word for a non commonplace thing, and it sounds like it might be spelled weird, so one would assume you would just like... google it if you weren't sure. Like I typed in 15 different permutations of misspellings of Ouija into google, and every single one corrected me and gave me the correct spelling. It's not that hard. Even if you're not a native English speaker I expect that google would still give you the correct spelling of a word like ouija, or you could switch over to an english version to search.

How do so many people get these kinds of things wrooong. I misspell bureaucracy all the time when typing in chat clients and shit but because it's a word that's spelled a bit weird I like... check, and correct it before I post it. Why is checking how to spell a word you're unsure of such a novel concept for so many people?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I've wanted to get a trainer to practice doing dumb stuff like this. But I always have to wonder why these balisong tricks became a thing. It is so impractical outside of drunk party tricks.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

You have a living room?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

HUI3CBw.jpg

This would kill me after about 3 days. Actually dead.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I am eternally confused how anyone, writing something on the internet, can fuck up spelling something like Ouija. Like for more common things I actually sort of get it, it seems like a simple word you use all of the time so you misspell and don't even bother checking, like adding an extra r into forest or something. But Ouija is such a specific word for a non commonplace thing, and it sounds like it might be spelled weird, so one would assume you would just like... google it if you weren't sure. Like I typed in 15 different permutations of misspellings of Ouija into google, and every single one corrected me and gave me the correct spelling. It's not that hard. Even if you're not a native English speaker I expect that google would still give you the correct spelling of a word like ouija, or you could switch over to an english version to search.

How do so many people get these kinds of things wrooong. I misspell bureaucracy all the time when typing in chat clients and shit but because it's a word that's spelled a bit weird I like... check, and correct it before I post it. Why is checking how to spell a word you're unsure of such a novel concept for so many people?
    Because they aren't unsure how to spell it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

HUI3CBw.jpg

There's no excuse for this kind of crunch.

If you can't afford to hire one or two more artists to lighten the load you don't deserve to be in business.

i think because a lot of manga works end to be very personal works, in that it seems like, from what little i know, that most manga series are pitched by a single creator who writes and draws the whole thing with only the oversight of an editor, hiring more people is a slightly different thing?

Like, the publishing business is absolutely fucked, and requiring weekly publications is absolutely garbage, but hiring more people, instead of requiring less frequent publishing with bigger breaks and hiatuses, might not be the most appropriate thing?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Commercial manga tend to have decent number of artists.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

You have a living room?

I have a horse room, which we also use as a living room.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Commercial manga tend to have decent number of artists for a title.

huh, ok then my bad

i guess i thought that only really happened with the very well established ones, and even some of the biggest titles started off as singular works, especially with the big shounen ones, which always seemed like some of the more exploitative ones.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

You have a living room?

I have a horse room, which we also use as a living room.

The fact people have "hording rooms" is a confusing term for being a slob or just lazy

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If you don't leave the house at all, do any housework, or really do anything other than sit and write, you can get by on one meal a day.

Also, that schedule clearly isn't a solo workflow - assistants arrive at 11am Wednesday

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I've wanted to get a trainer to practice doing dumb stuff like this. But I always have to wonder why these balisong tricks became a thing. It is so impractical outside of drunk party tricks.

because it owns

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.