Options

Youtubin'

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of sad I never picked up all of the Area 88 series that was made a decade or so back. Only managed to find/acquire 2 of the DVDs, so I have the slip box just sitting there... half full...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    And now

Bones

https://youtu.be/E1M0i7nrDig

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Either they built that space elevator incredibly quickly or those people waited a long time before objecting to it being built on their land.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Either they built that space elevator incredibly quickly or those people waited a long time before objecting to it being built on their land.

I was going to say that the one in that anime clip isn't the one from the game so it might like, still be being built.

But I checked and it seemed pretty finished to me so I agree

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    don't fuck with bears but also ideally most bears are in the "more afraid of you than you of them" camp

the catch is that that's difficult to test for

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm kind of sad I never picked up all of the Area 88 series that was made a decade or so back. Only managed to find/acquire 2 of the DVDs, so I have the slip box just sitting there... half full...

Oh wow I remember that anime! Yeah, I think we only ever found one DVD, never did see the rest.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If those were cubs that was a real high risk bit

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    those ARE cubs in the canada video and I bet that's why he was being so polite

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I think the idea might be that they were actively protesting the building the whole time and the international community was like "...meh they're a bigger deal than you, so we don't care." But... a space elevator seems like it'd be pretty easy to have "radicals" slam a plane into or something, so they were being very polite with the protest up till then.

• Options
    I bet it’s a reserve or something and those bears know they can be chill. Otherwise that seems like a real stupid thing to do.

I unno maybe I don’t know about bears.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think as long as you aren't physically interposed between the mom and her cubs she'll generally prefer to just leave with them

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    but also bears are kinda unpredictable in general and you probably should just stay away

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because of the rather dry winter we had the state has issued a state wide bear alert because they have been coming into the cities and towns

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    You know, if someone managed to make a game that actually made playable content look like that I'd be more impressed than if they made the most realistic looking 3D rendered models.

guilty gear's pretty close, they just limit the playable content to a 2d fighting game

the intros and outros definitely show what the engine is capable of tho

https://youtu.be/aHOyobdEOug

On the same note, that same team did the recent Dragon Ball FighterZ which I feel hit the dragonball shaped nail on the head
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrUIXQST91k

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    but also bears are kinda unpredictable in general and you probably should just stay away

I wouldn't get within about 300 yards of a bear without a semi-auto shotgun loaded with slugs, grizzly or no...

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    oh man i totally forgot about those weird animated versions

and wow i forgot they were totally klasky csupo as fuck

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Oh no, oh no no. I haven't thought about those in years. Could this be, do I feel... nostalgia? Gah. I don't remember the live action dog puppet though...

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Huh I never saw these, I remember the old commercials and stuff from when I was kid, but I think this might have been out when I was a little old.

I remember the fuck out of the Burger King Kidz Club though

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/hINifCjzf1c

Prototype level of game from 2015 discovered inside 2018 remaster of game from 2011, turned into playable environment in 2015 version of completely different game from 2013.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, what?

• Options
    Rob Scallon continues to be just an all-around good dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyZ9Zu_Sk4

(if you didn't buy his album, nevermind, here's a HQ upload of the vinyl)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wait, what?

Bloodborne prototype level as displayed in GTAV

Although GTAV was 2013.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I have one of those here not even 10 feet from me.
    I think we had all of them when I was a kid? I remember being super into them.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Wait, what?

Multi Souls Drifting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    You know, if someone managed to make a game that actually made playable content look like that I'd be more impressed than if they made the most realistic looking 3D rendered models.

guilty gear's pretty close, they just limit the playable content to a 2d fighting game

the intros and outros definitely show what the engine is capable of tho

https://youtu.be/aHOyobdEOug

Fun fact - although GG Xrd uses 3d models, the reason it looks so "anime" is

A) a custom, genius rendering engine
    B) the actual animation is done 1 frame at a time with no interpolation, and the lighting for a character is moved with them, plus there's a lot of scale deformation you don't normally see in 3d animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

• Options
    Is that style of animation expensive and time consuming? Because it looks better than most traditionally animated tv shows

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

There is some extremely good content coming out of China's first international level wrestling league

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I bet it’s a reserve or something and those bears know they can be chill. Otherwise that seems like a real stupid thing to do.

I unno maybe I don’t know about bears.

The one in the Canadian video are black bears, who tend to be a lot more skittish and shy. The other videos though are brown bears, of which grizzly bears are an American subspecies. Brown bears are larger, more aggressive, and dangerous, because they're apex predators compared to the black bears omnivorous prey mentality.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un8B8CFc0R0

They're actually sticking with "Justin Ebi-eber".

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is that style of animation expensive and time consuming? Because it looks better than most traditionally animated tv shows

My takeaway from the video is that there's a lot more up-front work, so it makes sense for a video game where there are 20 characters + 20 stages and that's all the assets you need. It wouldn't be great for animating a tv show with a lot of characters and scenes.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

My takeaway from the video is that there's a lot more up-front work, so it makes sense for a video game where there are 20 characters + 20 stages and that's all the assets you need. It wouldn't be great for animating a tv show with a lot of characters and scenes.

That's interesting. I was wondering this mainly because DBZ Super had so much trouble with the consistency of its animation and looked pretty awful with some frequency. This technology made me wonder if real shows could be made with it, but I guess asset creation is just that much more expensive.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've kind of been under the impression that anime is notorious for skimping on the animation budget - that it's part of the reason for anime's distinctive look and feel.

By and large, I mean. Obviously they sometimes go balls-to-the-wall with the animation and it shows.

RT800 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Anime seems to run on very tight budgets and very tight deadlines. I was watching attack on titan as it aired in Japan and sometimes certain parts simply weren’t colored in because they ran out of time.

Thinking about Japanese office and work culture in general and anime falling under one of those “passion artistic jobs” I can only imagine the conditions, hours and pay that most of these people work under must be truly atrocious :(

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am under the impression that the Simpsons gag of animators being stalked and jabbed by guards with bayonets is still relevant

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

That's interesting. I was wondering this mainly because DBZ Super had so much trouble with the consistency of its animation and looked pretty awful with some frequency. This technology made me wonder if real shows could be made with it, but I guess asset creation is just that much more expensive.

Probably. IMO the best option for a show using this kind of shader would be to combine the 2D and 3D animation so that you can use some time and cost saving methods of 2D animation alongside your 3D animation. Blurred crowd shots, backgrounds, still frames, and effects, do that in 2D as it's much quicker to make a one-off in 2D than in 3D. 3D has more up front costs, but can give you a better consistency over a longer time.

This discussion has been closed.