As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Despite the abdomen not being greenish I want to say Asian weaver ant queen. I know that weaver ant workers can have a brown abdomen, but I've never seen a queen with one.
    Because the shape of the weaver ant abdomen is fairly distinct.
    1280px-Oecophylla_smaragdina-.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Advent wrote: »
    4bacwfgxulei.jpg

Off topic, but that's a beautiful view you've got there Advent.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    n3eehuieizcb.jpg

Any idea what species this is? Found it crawling on my wall this morning.

I'm in SE Ohio. It definitely would not surprise if this species is typically seen near water, I've got a farm pond like ~300 m from my house and it's rained a ton here.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    My spontaneous guess is that it's a male (it's certainly a male) Black Laceweaver.
    original.jpeg

P.S: I'm so happy that it's spring and this thread is going again.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Despite the abdomen not being greenish I want to say Asian weaver ant queen. I know that weaver ant workers can have a brown abdomen, but I've never seen a queen with one.
    Because the shape of the weaver ant abdomen is fairly distinct.
    1280px-Oecophylla_smaragdina-.jpg

Thank you! I’ll keep an eye out for more. 19th floor is an interesting place to find her.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    CAUTION A picture of a spider is in the spoiler:

Who is this intruder?
    8d1a5cs0skc2.jpg

His entire circumference is about the size of a quarter.

Vancouver, WA, USA

We are going through some winter weather currently

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Who is this intruder?
    8d1a5cs0skc2.jpg

Vancouver, WA, USA

First impression is a jumping spider, but that doesn't really narrow things down that much for you.
    Probably just looking to get out of the cold for a bit.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Who is this intruder?
    8d1a5cs0skc2.jpg

Vancouver, WA, USA

First impression is a jumping spider, but that doesn't really narrow things down that much for you.
    Probably just looking to get out of the cold for a bit.

Some googling makes me think you are correct and that it is an adult Bold Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax)

And yeah he didn't seem too thrilled when I put him outside

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    It does look like a Bold Jumping spider with that white spot on the abdomen and hints of white around the legs (and that jumping spider posture). There are a lot of jumping spiders in WA, but few have that bold black colour.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    The ones you have to watch out for are its cousins, the Italic Jumping Spider and the Underlined Jumping Spider

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    The ones you have to watch out for are its cousins, the Italic Jumping Spider and the Underlined Jumping Spider

The Strikethrough Jumping Spider is the nastiest of the bunch, though it's luckily only found in southern Florida.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I hate to bring this to the thread, but I just found this guy on a piece of paper in my living room. I took a lot more pictures here. And I fear what the answer is.

• Options
    Pretty sure that’s a tick.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

That's a lot better than I was fearing - Holy cow, thank you.

• Options
    Yeah that looks like an 8-legged blood sucker to me

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

That's a lot better than I was fearing - Holy cow, thank you.

I mean, ticks are no bueno because Lyme Disease is a thing. But the chances are low and hopefully you found it not embedded in your body...

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Doesn't look like a bedbug to me if that's what you were afraid of.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Orca wrote: »
    Doesn't look like a bedbug to me if that's what you were afraid of.

That's exactly the kind of bloodsucker I'm worried about.

Ticks aren't exactly something I'm happy to see, but seeing a single tick is way better news to me right now than seeing a single bedbug.

(I have since caught the bug and kept it in a plastic bag for submission and identification.)

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    I hate to bring this to the thread, but I just found this guy on a piece of paper in my living room. I took a lot more pictures here. And I fear what the answer is.

As others have said, definitely a tick or some other form of parasitiform mite.

Not great news, but not terrible news either. If you have pets, check them. Do a self-check (scalp, legs, groin, armpits and ears in particular).

• Options
    You should also make sure to check your butt hole.

• Options
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular

I had one on my scrotum once. It wasn't as bad as you'd think. But we have a dog and therefore a few tick removal tools so I just lassoed the blood sucking fucker and stepped on it.

(And then I went and found a heavy mason jar to roll over it and actually kill it. Those bastards are sturdy.)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »

I had one on my scrotum once. It wasn't as bad as you'd think. But we have a dog and therefore a few tick removal tools so I just lassoed the blood sucking fucker and stepped on it.

(And then I went and found a heavy mason jar to roll over it and actually kill it. Those bastards are sturdy.)

Close second to roaches. I hit a particularly large roach with a hammer once and it survived.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It's unfortunate he hasn't managed to match the sheer genius of this song in any of his subsequent work

it is the perfect song

• Options
    edited April 2022
    And here I'm trying to be even slightly classy and use "groin" as a fairly neutral term for that general era and everyone else is just "Check your butthole!" and "Once I had a tick on my ballsack!".

P.S: The best Tom Cardy song is either Naughty or Nice or Human Interaction.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Close second to roaches. I hit a particularly large roach with a hammer once and it survived.

How was the hammer?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

How was the hammer?

The roach took it away from him

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    And here I'm trying to be even slightly classy and use "groin" as a fairly neutral term for that general era and everyone else is just "Check your butthole!" and "Once I had a tick on my ballsack!".

P.S: The best Tom Cardy song is either Naughty or Nice or Human Interaction.

I'd add Big Breakfast and Human Centipede to that list - also 'bug' related!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    My daughter found this fella in my car yesterday and wants to know what it is. It seemed quite content just to crawl around really fast on her hand and not fly away despite this human who kept trying to take picture of it.

fkp3qkkhxl9k.jpg

Found in eastern Massachusetts, USA.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I have to admit I have no idea. At first I was thinking some kind of snow/stonefly, but the legs are wrong for that (stoneflies have hind legs that are hinged similar to grasshoppers).

Maybe some kind of woodwasp (because that's some kind of hardened ovipositor, right)?

• Options
    Sorry to bother the thread yet again, but I found a concerning bug stuck in one of my interceptor traps. It was about 3 mm in body length, though the legs make it about three times that length, extending in front and behind. I can't tell if the front "legs" are actually legs, or if they are antenna.

This one seems 'long' vs. the last one, which was more 'round'.

Anyhow, my camera once again sucks at capturing images at this scale... But I was able to capture the bug and look at it through a microscope. Sadly, the only microscope I have access to is a polarized light microscope, which is meant for looking at crystals. So there's a lot of detail lost in the image. But it does give a good impression of the outline of the thing.

Image from my camera is here and also here.

Images from the microscope are here and here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Options
    Sorry to bother the thread yet again, but I found a concerning bug stuck in one of my interceptor traps. It was about 3 mm in body length, though the legs make it about three times that length, extending in front and behind. I can't tell if the front "legs" are actually legs, or if they are antenna.

This one seems 'long' vs. the last one, which was more 'round'.

Anyhow, my camera once again sucks at capturing images at this scale... But I was able to capture the bug and look at it through a microscope. Sadly, the only microscope I have access to is a polarized light microscope, which is meant for looking at crystals. So there's a lot of detail lost in the image. But it does give a good impression of the outline of the thing.

Image from my camera is here and also here.

Images from the microscope are here and here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Definitely mites. Their hairyness means that they're likely some kind of Trombidiform mite, but unless you're suddenly developing red and very itchy lesions they're probably not chiggers. Trombidiform mites is a very diverse family.

• Options
    Definitely mites. Their hairyness means that they're likely some kind of Trombidiform mite, but unless you're suddenly developing red and very itchy lesions they're probably not chiggers. Trombidiform mites is a very diverse family.

Thank you tremendously for that assessment. I wasn't thinking it could be a mite because the body shape, as mites always struck me as being round, rather than long. But then, I didn't appreciate how diverse Trombidiforms were!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I have a friend building a house near mine.

Is it a friend that needs to be sprayed?

vhm6ozvuqmxp.jpeg

Bonus snail-friend pic:
    jvnonjxx5dtk.jpeg

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Paper wasp is my immediate guess, and if that is correct then the question becomes "is that an area you or anything you love would like to be able to approach without being harassed by wasps?"

If yes, burninate the wasp and nest

Added: that looks like a deflated kiddie pool, destroy the wasp and nest

(Paper wasps are fairly chill if you don't bother them iirc, but will definitely make you stay away from their nest)

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Could be paper wasps or yellowjackets. It's very hard to tell since the basic eusocial wasp nest always looks like that (it's not really until they grow bigger that you can see the distinct variations beween different species). One general trend though is that the paper wasp nest tends to be attached to a single thread at this point in development while yellowjacket nests tend to be attached more directly to the surface material.

The pattern on the abdomen suggests European paper wasp (which is "leave alone in the wild, but destroy if it's on your house or in a playground etc"), but I can't say anything definitive.

Yellow-jacket nest at about the same stage.
    Yellowjacket-nest1.jpg

• Options
    Heh, I think my brain went "You got close enough to take a picture? That's too chill to be a yellow jacket"

Good to know about the early nest stage!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hey look at this lovely lady
    0dopdounqxkd.jpg

Kruite on
  • Options
    That's definitely the "no touchy" form of spider-neighbours.

• Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    9uwwhbb5dv8w.jpeg

Stuck under a leaf in Indonesia.