Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Costs would come down if we made a group effort out of it and I think we can all agree that fair wages is something we want to aim for. And cheap transportation isn't sticking around forever, we've seen the rise in oil and gas that contributes a lot to inflation in our groceries, in comparison to say the multitude of green energy sector options that could be transmitted from a lot closer in comparison. Drawing from Hydro (or other power sources) is the whole point of say, an electric car!

Saying something is "too expensive" often just comes down to political will and a lack of agility in realizing de-centralized local solutions with a central backing are really just engineering problems we pretty much already know how to solve and only get better the more we try it, making our tech something that would be valued around the world.

And with a trade war going on and no guarantee there won't be another when Republicans cycle in again to the south, our food (and other imported goods) are going to go up anyways, so we might as well invest in locally sourcing our food better.

No, it's kinda the opposite. Costs can only come down so much, if at all. When something is "too expensive", political will doesn't lower costs most of the time, it instead makes people willing to pay more.

Like, you can raise the wages of farm workers. The only thing holding that back is the political will to have everyone pay more for food. It won't magically make those costs go down.

Sure.

Tell Canada that their grocery bill is going to go up 10-15% and you lose the next election. Everyone that post's here is generally pretty left leaning and informed about how the world works.... We are the minority.

We need to make it a movement. A "we do these things because they are hard" kind of thing.

Unfortunately, I do not see the Liberals leading such a movement. And I see the Conservatives leading a movement against it easily, in large part thanks to their "liberals = bad" zombies.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Costs would come down if we made a group effort out of it and I think we can all agree that fair wages is something we want to aim for. And cheap transportation isn't sticking around forever, we've seen the rise in oil and gas that contributes a lot to inflation in our groceries, in comparison to say the multitude of green energy sector options that could be transmitted from a lot closer in comparison. Drawing from Hydro (or other power sources) is the whole point of say, an electric car!

Saying something is "too expensive" often just comes down to political will and a lack of agility in realizing de-centralized local solutions with a central backing are really just engineering problems we pretty much already know how to solve and only get better the more we try it, making our tech something that would be valued around the world.

And with a trade war going on and no guarantee there won't be another when Republicans cycle in again to the south, our food (and other imported goods) are going to go up anyways, so we might as well invest in locally sourcing our food better.

No, it's kinda the opposite. Costs can only come down so much, if at all. When something is "too expensive", political will doesn't lower costs most of the time, it instead makes people willing to pay more.

Like, you can raise the wages of farm workers. The only thing holding that back is the political will to have everyone pay more for food. It won't magically make those costs go down.

See, I just don't buy what you are selling here, costs do come down the more people get in on a group plan, especially the longer a group plan runs for it has better bargaining positions, its part of why our healthcare doesn't cost as much as the US, despite us being more spread out.

And you brought up the wages of people working the farms to the south of us, Canada already pays fair wages to most of those working in the fields, having done some of that work myself - the professional gardeners / horticulturalists especially make a decent living, those of us working for them only see a bit of temporary seasonal work. If harvests cycled through out the year on a more significant basis, even pickers could be well looked after in Canada. We don't have to raise our wages, that's not really a thing I was even suggesting, so I don't know why you brought it up. When I brought up fair wages, I meant supporting Canadian standards and jobs, even at current levels (that need a bit of adjustment for inflation especially here in BC) we offer more than other places and I think we are better off for it. Its why the Temporary Foreign Worker program reckless unchecked expansion under the Conservatives was so worrisome, not that people were coming here to work, but that they were coming here to work and being paid less and under trained and in abusive relationships with their bosses / management / foremans - THAT undermined our Canadian standards for jobs, we don't like our guest workers being treated less fairly than us and we can do better than that.

Political will determined local workers were "too expensive" according to industry lobbyists and made the TFW program worse.

Political will determines things like solar, nuclear, hydro, etc are "too expensive" all the damn time but really, they are the ones throwing up the roadblocks in unattainable standards that favour mega projects or don't fund their own regulatory bodies that monitor the various industries for inefficiencies and discrepancies that can get very expensive for us.

I'm not asking for "magic" to reduce costs, I am asking for well informed, competent, and agile statesmanship. We've done it before, we can do it again, and if is Trump that motivates us to be better, so be it.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Sure.

Tell Canada that their grocery bill is going to go up 10-15% and you lose the next election. Everyone that post's here is generally pretty left leaning and informed about how the world works.... We are the minority.

Huh? I never said it was a good idea for winning an election. My whole point though is that you can't just handwave away the increase in costs with "technology" and "political will". Sometimes things are just plain more expensive.

You wanna stop importing as much food from the US, prices are gonna go up and selection is gonna go down.

Might have misread that.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

See, I just don't buy what you are selling here, costs do come down the more people get in on a group plan, especially the longer a group plan runs for it has better bargaining positions, its part of why our healthcare doesn't cost as much as the US, despite us being more spread out.

And you brought up the wages of people working the farms to the south of us, Canada already pays fair wages to most of those working in the fields, having done some of that work myself - the professional gardeners / horticulturalists especially make a decent living, those of us working for them only see a bit of temporary seasonal work. If harvests cycled through out the year on a more significant basis, even pickers could be well looked after in Canada. We don't have to raise our wages, that's not really a thing I was even suggesting, so I don't know why you brought it up. When I brought up fair wages, I meant supporting Canadian standards and jobs, even at current levels (that need a bit of adjustment for inflation especially here in BC) we offer more than other places and I think we are better off for it. Its why the Temporary Foreign Worker program reckless unchecked expansion under the Conservatives was so worrisome, not that people were coming here to work, but that they were coming here to work and being paid less and under trained and in abusive relationships with their bosses / management / foremans - THAT undermined our Canadian standards for jobs, we don't like our guest workers being treated less fairly than us and we can do better than that.

Political will determined local workers were "too expensive" according to industry lobbyists and made the TFW program worse.

Political will determines things like solar, nuclear, hydro, etc are "too expensive" all the damn time but really, they are the ones throwing up the roadblocks in unattainable standards that favour mega projects or don't fund their own regulatory bodies that monitor the various industries for inefficiencies and discrepancies that can get very expensive for us.

I'm not asking for "magic" to reduce costs, I am asking for well informed, competent, and agile statesmanship. We've done it before, we can do it again, and if is Trump that motivates us to be better, so be it.

Your example kinda illustrates the extent to which you not really engaging with the issue though. You are handwaving away all the actual difficulties at work.

Costs come down in healthcare when you sign more people up because of specific mechanisms, not just because there's more people. And those specific mechanisms are not applicable to all situations. Economies of scale and such are not universally applicable or the same.

Sometimes a good thing is not cost saving. I brought up labour costs as a specific example. Paying your farm workers more doesn't lower costs. It just raises prices. There are no efficiencies to be exploited there.

You have to actually establish a connection between the policy you want and the cost savings. Because it doesn't always exist. A lot of the time it's not just a matter of "Do the things I like and this other benefit beyond the policy itself will also emerge". Sometimes a policy's only good outcome is the policy itself.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Of course doing things more sustainably with better labour conditions will cost more.
    It's also true it would cost WAY more initially until we get good at it and it scales.

I think people who have "enough" money like my family could absorb a 20% increase in groceries (maybe going from $600 to $800) but I bet that would break a lot of families.

Ultimately though, while I support the country being self-reliant I don't feel that the best future is one in which nations are silo'd and looking inward. I would like MORE trade with MORE nations because the more links and ties you make between nations and people the less bad stuff happens (IMO).

It's a large part of why I hate Trump. "America first" is a supremely dangerous mindset for all of us.

All that said I can't wait for my skyscraper farms powered by solar and geo energy and using rainwater & filtered greywater and ZERO pesticides because it's a controlled environment. That's some exciting future tech shit.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Trade is a great thing. I love going to my local ethnic groceries and buying ingredients that we don't grow here.

But I live in Abbotsford, which is like Berry Central. Drive down one particular road just out of town and there are farms and farms and farms full of berries. Yet when I go to the local supermarket all the berries are imported from California, Mexico, and Chile. It's a terrible waste of resources to import so much food that we can grow right here just because some huge grocery megacorp finds it more convenient to ship everything out of some giant warehouse two provinces over.

Trump's approach is idiotic, but globalization as it's currently practiced is a huge problem for the lives of ordinary people in both developed and developing countries. Food security is a real issue, and the more farms we lose because our systems are geared toward enriching large corps and middlemen over farmers, the less food secure we are as a nation. So if Trump's policies incidentally make it harder for Loblaws to import CA berries into BC berry country, I'm not going to cry too many tears for them.

There are a lot of interlocking systems that need to be fixed... wage stagnation, undervaluation of crops by the global market, wasteful food trade systems, exploitative global trade practices... but we really need to at least be making small changes in the direction of food security, food access, and food equity.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    That's something that the EU did that I liked, where they mandated that foodstuffs include some sort of transportation distance tax, to help locally sourced items be more competitive while also encouraging local sourcing and discouraging all of the damn transportation logistics that can be wasteful just because its prevalent.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It starts.

The Ontario PCs are axing the Green Ontario tax rebate.

• Options
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It starts.

Well, that's one way to reduce hydro bills by helping people lower their energy consump.... OH WAIT NO IT'S NOT.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Aridhol wrote: »

To celebrate, I went out and bought some for the first time [from a Port Alberni dispensary with a nice person working there] to share with our nice neighbours.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Fuck I'm gunna need to visit Canada

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’d like to dream that weed tourism would totally negate the costs of the tariffs....

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Chances are pretty good that for the first few months, border control will up the frequency of searching cars going into the US.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Farewell, pot shop on the country road between the Canadian border and Bellingham, WA that appears to sell exclusively to British Columbians on their way to Costco.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Farewell, pot shop on the country road between the Canadian border and Bellingham, WA that appears to sell exclusively to British Columbians on their way to Costco.

Its a good shop, it’ll get by.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Chances are pretty good that for the first few months, border control will up the frequency of searching cars going into the US.

Can’t wait for that. Getting to work is going to be fun for me in a few months....

• Options

To celebrate, I went out and bought some for the first time [from a Port Alberni dispensary with a nice person working there] to share with our nice neighbours.

I love that to celebrate something being legalized you went to a store that's already been selling it for a while.

• Options
    edited June 2018

I love that to celebrate something being legalized you went to a store that's already been selling it for a while.

Yeah, I am ok with that. Dispensaries are way better than some of the shady fucks I have had offer to sell in the past, this legalization didn't come soon enough.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, I am ok with that. Dispensaries are way better than some of the shady fucks I have had offer to sell in the past, this legalization didn't come soon enough.

I just had a conversation with my teenager last night about that. She will never know the joy of buying an 1/8th from a shady dude in back of a 7-11 .

and that's a great thing!

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

I just had a conversation with my teenager last night about that. She will never know the joy of buying an 1/8th from a shady dude in back of a 7-11 .

Depending on the age of your teenager there still might be some of that going around... selling to minors is still illegal, and I'm sure a lot of shady fucks will continue their shady fuckery selling to underagers.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    My dealer better massively improve the quality of his service if he still wants my business. He's so unreliable.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options

El Skid wrote: »

Depending on the age of your teenager there still might be some of that going around... selling to minors is still illegal, and I'm sure a lot of shady fucks will continue their shady fuckery selling to underagers.

She's going to be 17 shortly so not much longer and has a few 18+ friends so I have o doubt she will be fine.

Also,

https://globalnews.ca/news/4241811/social-sharing-law-marijuana/

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    My dealer better massively improve the quality of his service if he still wants my business. He's so unreliable.

I might be missing the point if this is a joke, but why would you ever continue to use a dealer if you are of legal age once pot becomes legal?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

Might I recommend MOMs (Mail-order)?

Find a good one and they're great. Just place your order, e-transfer some money, and bam, a couple days later (if that, I found one that's based like, an hour drive away and takes a day to deliver) you get a present in the mail.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

I might be missing the point if this is a joke, but why would you ever continue to use a dealer if you are of legal age once pot becomes legal?

Price. I would assume they are way cheaper vs legalized & taxed bud.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It starts.

I hope they don’t get rid of the electric vehicle incentives, I wanted to get one this year but I likely can’t afford to without the program.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Price. I would assume they are way cheaper vs legalized & taxed bud.

Yeah, but we don't know how much it is going to be once it is legalized and taxed unless you're guessing that it's going to be the same as medical prices which I kind of doubt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Trudeau finally condemned the whole concentration-camp thing going on in the United States this morning, so we'll probably see over the afternoon how many people suddenly decide they're in favor of it.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Trudeau finally condemned the whole concentration-camp thing going on in the United States this morning, so we'll probably see over the afternoon how many people suddenly decide they're in favor of it.

CBC already ran an article that Canada does it too. Felt like they were reaching for see Trudeau is as evil as Trump...

• Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

CBC already ran an article that Canada does it too. Felt like they were reaching for see Trudeau is as evil as Trump...

Yeah it happens in some circumstances and the government tries it's damndest to avoid it. It's not in the same ballpark (or even the same sport) as having a policy tearing children from their families.

GTFO of here CBC

• Options
    October 17th, 2018 pot will be legal :/

That's quite a delay. I don't see how it's not a shitshow with everyone doing it this summer. They gonna jam the courts with people doing things that will be shortly legal?

This delay will be a mess and Fuck the provinces who couldn't get their shit in order on time.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    But we need that time to give the cops all the extra money they're going to need to not policy weed right?

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    But we need that time to give the cops all the extra money they're going to need to not policy weed right?

If you look at police budget's around Canada, yeah.

• Options
    What bugs me is that it's not going to work.
    Law enforcement for someone doing this today is toothless. No one's going to jail, afaik there are no fine structures for individuals so what the fuck is the barrier? Provinces saying "pretty please don't?"

Delaying a law that has been passed because provinces are saying they're unprepared is ridiculous to me.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    In general, a law having a delayed "take affect" day is not that unusual, I thought.

• Options
    I just know the EPS is busy squawkign about how they don't have enough money to not charge people for having weed.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Why do you need money to not charge people?

• Options
    You'd have to ask them. I don't have a particularly high opinion of them at the best of times, so I expect it's just the usual give us more money to beat up homeless people and natives.

• Options
    More money for drones to peer into people's yards for Mary Jane plants.