As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' CanuckRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
At the time of this thread's creation, Canadian news isn't particularly good. We had the awful hockey team bus accident and now some jackass has killed a bunch of people in Toronto with a van.

I'm sure we'll be talking more about that one, but we can't let the terrorists win. We will keep going out on sunny days. We will keep celebrating our diverse communities. And we will keep posting pictures of our politicians in silly outfits.

Canadian Politicians in Silly Outfits!

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party

tg71x2d6zaka.jpg
This is what happens when a rich white dude thinks he's woke. Or something. We're not actually sure what this was.

Leader of the Official Opposition, Andrew Scheer, Conservative Party

8obw2pdb7419.jpg
Bonhomme can't make heads or tails of his French.

Leader of the NDP, Jagmeet Singh

xuo23qe9hzme.jpg
He might be taking that "Jagmeet and Greet" concept a bit far here.

Leader of the Green Party, Elizabeth May

o73u9ysy91c3.jpg
In happier times before her arrest at a Kinder Morgan pipeline protest.

Leader of the Bloc Quebecois, No Longer Martine Ouellet

s89ynt1qnvcc.jpg
By the power of Microsoft Paint 3D, I note thy resignation!

Current Canadian Politics in a Nutshell

5k8z3v9wv0vz.jpg

hf48xcjthjk7.jpg

p53xaixk3xli.jpg

https://youtu.be/baG4WvTqvD8

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
SwashbucklerXX on
«13456799

Posts

  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I wonder how big the section on Trudeau's handshake is going to be in future social studies textbooks.

  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Edit: This probably was not a very productive post

    Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm not a hashtag kind of guy, but #Torontostrong is a good one.

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    this is a nice sentiment

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-the-truths-canada-needs-to-remember/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

    Though I disagree that we have significantly less racial tension, especially where it concerns our relations with first nations.

  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The vibe in Toronto last night was really weird. At least down town. And there were police cruisers on almost every intersection. Although that might have had something to do with the Leafs game as well.

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I still can't wrap my head around the "incel" thing... Wtf went wrong in your upbringing as a dude to make you accept such bullshit is mind-boggling.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Beats me but it's surprisingly common

  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I still can't wrap my head around the "incel" thing... Wtf went wrong in your upbringing as a dude to make you accept such bullshit is mind-boggling.

    I didnt remember the term so I googled it, it's that whole "involuntary celibate" nonsense, right?

  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Yeeeeeeeeep

    I didn't want to talk about it previously but the Facebook post was just confirmed to be legitimate:

    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I was sure it was going to be revealed as fake since all I heard was that the account only had one picture and it was the same as his linkedin page.

  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

    Have you tried watching any of the "nerds" movies recently?

    They are so creepy and rapey and makes me hate my past self for liking them.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

    Have you tried watching any of the "nerds" movies recently?

    They are so creepy and rapey and makes me hate my past self for liking them.

    One of my favorite takes on them was the Robot Chicken one, where they showed scenes from the movie, then had the nerds in a courtroom where the judge read off the various crimes they committed (including rape.) Puts it all in perspective, actually.

    The incel "community" is what happens when entitlement and toxic masculinity crashes on the shores of reality.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

    Have you tried watching any of the "nerds" movies recently?

    They are so creepy and rapey and makes me hate my past self for liking them.

    A lot of sex comedies are pretty fucked up if you think about it. Everyone in Animal House should be in jail

  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm really relieved that this will put MRA/toxic masculinity into the national conversation instead of giving racists more fuel for their anti-refugee/immigration/multiculturalism screeds

    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Hell, Reddit, the bastion of MRA/Redpill, finds the incel group incredibly weird and offensive (mostly because it gives their brand of misogyny a bad name)

    Recently the subreddit was shut down, due to doxxing and threatening harm, but they just regrouped and formed another subreddit with a different name.

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Hell, Reddit, the bastion of MRA/Redpill, finds the incel group incredibly weird and offensive (mostly because it gives their brand of misogyny a bad name)

    Recently the subreddit was shut down, due to doxxing and threatening harm, but they just regrouped and formed another subreddit with a different name.

    They had a subreddit?

    I honestly don't understand.... A bunch of dudes sitting around angry they are not getting laid and SUPER angry about it sounds like the pinnacle of stupidity.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Hell, Reddit, the bastion of MRA/Redpill, finds the incel group incredibly weird and offensive (mostly because it gives their brand of misogyny a bad name)

    Recently the subreddit was shut down, due to doxxing and threatening harm, but they just regrouped and formed another subreddit with a different name.

    They had a subreddit?

    I honestly don't understand.... A bunch of dudes sitting around angry they are not getting laid and SUPER angry about it sounds like the pinnacle of stupidity.

    Misery loves company.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As was referenced recently, I believe it's about finding camaraderie among those who are similarly suffering. It seems to share some overlap with other groups and ideologies that appeal to vulnerable people (often young men), radicalizing their views and providing mutual support, often while demonizing/vilifying an 'other', be it a racial group, women, a religion, whatever.

    It's certainly no secret that people like having an external group/force to blame for ways they are suffering or they feel their lives are lacking. I don't think it really appeals through "let's all sit around bitching about how we're not getting laid", but more a matter of "we're not getting laid/enough, and here is why and who is to blame".

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    They have many subreddits. It's a mix of playing administrative whack-a-mole and owning the fact that the site's not really interested in banning them until something big happens (they closed down the largest and most toxic of them today). They tend to be kept around until either the PR becomes too toxic even for Reddit, or until the members feel confident enough to start actively encouraging specific acts of violence.

    (The site tends to ignore the fact that they generally openly revere Rodger, because encouraging someone else's specific acts of violence doesn't count. Or something.)
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

    More to the point, they consider not dating them to be a form of violence committed against them, and genuinely consider things like what happened in Toronto to be an act of admirable self-defense.

    Even by the standards of a lot of radialized fringe groups they're really fucked up.

  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Hell, Reddit, the bastion of MRA/Redpill, finds the incel group incredibly weird and offensive (mostly because it gives their brand of misogyny a bad name)

    Recently the subreddit was shut down, due to doxxing and threatening harm, but they just regrouped and formed another subreddit with a different name.

    They had a subreddit?

    I honestly don't understand.... A bunch of dudes sitting around angry they are not getting laid and SUPER angry about it sounds like the pinnacle of stupidity.

    I sympathiz to a point, I recall being bitter about not getting laid when I was in my teens, and it felt like everyone else did, but if you're a fucking adult and still act this way, there's absolutely no excuse for it. There's so many things wrong with this mindset, it's hard to know where to start.

  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    As was referenced recently, I believe it's about finding camaraderie among those who are similarly suffering. It seems to share some overlap with other groups and ideologies that appeal to vulnerable people (often young men), radicalizing their views and providing mutual support, often while demonizing/vilifying an 'other', be it a racial group, women, a religion, whatever.

    It's certainly no secret that people like having an external group/force to blame for ways they are suffering or they feel their lives are lacking. I don't think it really appeals through "let's all sit around bitching about how we're not getting laid", but more a matter of "we're not getting laid/enough, and here is why and who is to blame".

    It's both. As I said last thread, some people are drawn to it because they have problems with relationships for one reason or another. But the movement itself serves as a vector for radicalisation, like basically every movement on the internet that recruits young white men. It gives them people to commiserate with and explanations for the things about their lives they dislike that give them someone else to blame.

    It's really not that weird honestly. It's basically right in line with everything else about the modern extremist movements among young men.

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Hell, Reddit, the bastion of MRA/Redpill, finds the incel group incredibly weird and offensive (mostly because it gives their brand of misogyny a bad name)

    Recently the subreddit was shut down, due to doxxing and threatening harm, but they just regrouped and formed another subreddit with a different name.

    They had a subreddit?

    I honestly don't understand.... A bunch of dudes sitting around angry they are not getting laid and SUPER angry about it sounds like the pinnacle of stupidity.

    I sympathiz to a point, I recall being bitter about not getting laid when I was in my teens, and it felt like everyone else did, but if you're a fucking adult and still act this way, there's absolutely no excuse for it. There's so many things wrong with this mindset, it's hard to know where to start.

    I was not super popular with the ladies in high school. This made me take a long look at myself and wonder why and used that to make positive changes.

    Guess that's a bridge too far for these dorks.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Is there any evidence that the driver of the van specifically targeted women, or that most of the victims were women? Or was it an indiscriminate killing spree?

    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    That's usually what seems to be the case, I was in college before I got laid, but it was because I was shy and didn't put any effort into it. When I decided "Hey, I'd like to try this sex thing sometime" and started actually socializing it sorted itself out. I know people who get the "Hey, Sex" idea and think it should just come to them. And are bitchy and bitter than they aren't getting what they deserve.

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    That's usually what seems to be the case, I was in college before I got laid, but it was because I was shy and didn't put any effort into it. When I decided "Hey, I'd like to try this sex thing sometime" and started actually socializing it sorted itself out. I know people who get the "Hey, Sex" idea and think it should just come to them. And are bitchy and bitter than they aren't getting what they deserve.

    I really do wonder the effect on porn on guys like that. Has it distorted their view of how the whole sex thing works?

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    double post wierdness...snip

    Handkor on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    hawkbox wrote: »
    That's usually what seems to be the case, I was in college before I got laid, but it was because I was shy and didn't put any effort into it. When I decided "Hey, I'd like to try this sex thing sometime" and started actually socializing it sorted itself out. I know people who get the "Hey, Sex" idea and think it should just come to them. And are bitchy and bitter than they aren't getting what they deserve.

    I really do wonder the effect on porn on guys like that. Has it distorted their view of how the whole sex thing works?

    I'd blame pickup artists and "playa" culture first but I still think this is a problem that would start with the individual and less from outside influences.

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    And are bitchy and bitter than they aren't getting what they "deserve".

    Little tweak there.

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    They have many subreddits. It's a mix of playing administrative whack-a-mole and owning the fact that the site's not really interested in banning them until something big happens (they closed down the largest and most toxic of them today). They tend to be kept around until either the PR becomes too toxic even for Reddit, or until the members feel confident enough to start actively encouraging specific acts of violence.

    (The site tends to ignore the fact that they generally openly revere Rodger, because encouraging someone else's specific acts of violence doesn't count. Or something.)
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; the concept of "incel" is that it's societys fault that no one wants to have sex with these guys, and the solution to the problem is domestic terrorism? Jesus, it's like a horror movie remake of Revenge Of the Nerds.

    More to the point, they consider not dating them to be a form of violence committed against them, and genuinely consider things like what happened in Toronto to be an act of admirable self-defense.

    Even by the standards of a lot of radialized fringe groups they're really fucked up.

    You know what is one of the weirdest things in regards to this is?

    r/metacanada and r/canada are among the subreddits that are toxic, attempting to radicalize, and have yet to be hit by the whack-a-troll hammer.

    http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/need-talk-reddit/

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    /r/canada got so bad I can no longer go there.
    It used to be useful for news and decent discussion but really around 2015 and the Trudeau liberal campaign it got fucking toxic.

  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    That's usually what seems to be the case, I was in college before I got laid, but it was because I was shy and didn't put any effort into it. When I decided "Hey, I'd like to try this sex thing sometime" and started actually socializing it sorted itself out. I know people who get the "Hey, Sex" idea and think it should just come to them. And are bitchy and bitter than they aren't getting what they deserve.

    I think the worst part was when I did start having sex and realized how much time I had wasted being angry about not getting any, when it wasnt even all that great. Sure, it's pretty fun but nowhere near worth all the crap you put yourself through in adolesence over it. If these guys ever actually do get laid, I wonder if they'll realize they essentially formed a hate cult for no reason.

  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Username relevant? :)

    Anyways yeah, sex is great but it's not the end of the world and these folks are making things even worse minute by minute participating in that culture.
    If there is a sure fire way to turn any interested parties off being an incel is it.

  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    /r/canada got so bad I can no longer go there.
    It used to be useful for news and decent discussion but really around 2015 and the Trudeau liberal campaign it got fucking toxic.

    Its moderation team basically got stacked by people from r/metacanada, which is one of those not-even-hiding it alt-right shitholes that provided Bernier with staff during the CPC primary.

    To give you an idea of the current state of things, about half of r/canada's moderators are open white supremacists. It kinda sucks to blow off a sub with a subscriber base the size of Halifax as a lost cause, but... yeah.

    I keep telling myself that that sub isn't representative of the country, between the demographics of the site in general and the mods' eagerness to enforce their views on the other, but it's difficult, and will probably be a lot more difficult this time next year. I do worry about what an increasingly doctrinaire community of that size does to national discourse in general, especially since a lot of people wouldn't know the reason it got the way it did in the last couple of years and assume that is just the way Canadians think.

  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    /r/canada got so bad I can no longer go there.
    It used to be useful for news and decent discussion but really around 2015 and the Trudeau liberal campaign it got fucking toxic.

    Its moderation team basically got stacked by people from r/metacanada, which is one of those not-even-hiding it alt-right shitholes that provided Bernier with staff during the CPC primary.

    To give you an idea of the current state of things, about half of r/canada's moderators are open white supremacists. It kinda sucks to blow off a sub with a subscriber base the size of Halifax as a lost cause, but... yeah.

    I keep telling myself that that sub isn't representative of the country, between the demographics of the site in general and the mods' eagerness to enforce their views on the other, but it's difficult, and will probably be a lot more difficult this time next year. I do worry about what an increasingly doctrinaire community of that size does to national discourse in general, especially since a lot of people wouldn't know the reason it got the way it did in the last couple of years and assume that is just the way Canadians think.

    As an outsider, no... we don't think of Canada that way. Y'all are viewed as our overly polite neighbors and until these posts I had no idea you were dealing with a prevalent white supremacist issue.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Username relevant? :)

    Anyways yeah, sex is great but it's not the end of the world and these folks are making things even worse minute by minute participating in that culture.
    If there is a sure fire way to turn any interested parties off being an incel is it.

    Off topic but I'm poly and have had an open relationship for years. I currently live with my wife of 18 years and our girlfriend will be moving in soon.

    I was a shy dorky teenager that always struggled with what to say to women. Like nervous breakdown when the pretty girl in class asked for a pencil type thing. The olde I have gotten the more I realized that they just want to be LISTENED to most of the time. Treat a lady with respect and be engaged with their ideas and points of view. They don't owe us anything and these losers can't seem to accept that they are generally the cause of their celibacy.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    /r/canada got so bad I can no longer go there.
    It used to be useful for news and decent discussion but really around 2015 and the Trudeau liberal campaign it got fucking toxic.

    Its moderation team basically got stacked by people from r/metacanada, which is one of those not-even-hiding it alt-right shitholes that provided Bernier with staff during the CPC primary.

    To give you an idea of the current state of things, about half of r/canada's moderators are open white supremacists. It kinda sucks to blow off a sub with a subscriber base the size of Halifax as a lost cause, but... yeah.

    I keep telling myself that that sub isn't representative of the country, between the demographics of the site in general and the mods' eagerness to enforce their views on the other, but it's difficult, and will probably be a lot more difficult this time next year. I do worry about what an increasingly doctrinaire community of that size does to national discourse in general, especially since a lot of people wouldn't know the reason it got the way it did in the last couple of years and assume that is just the way Canadians think.

    As an outsider, no... we don't think of Canada that way. Y'all are viewed as our overly polite neighbors and until these posts I had no idea you were dealing with a prevalent white supremacist issue.

    Every western country has white supremacists, they've just become a much more visible issue in the past few years

  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    We have the same problem with the rise of the fascist alt-right as the rest of the world, unfortunately. And they are also benefiting from the same advantages: a united right-wing party holding right-wing voters hostage and facing a divided left, a fake-news media industry creating a bubble to isolate right-wing voters, a current left-wing leader the right has been conditioned to irrationally hate, and a mainstream media dedicated to misreporting the facts to appear fair and balanced.

    How we avoid having our own Trump or Brexit I have no idea.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    We have the same problem with the rise of the fascist alt-right as the rest of the world, unfortunately. And they are also benefiting from the same advantages: a united right-wing party holding right-wing voters hostage and facing a divided left, a fake-news media industry creating a bubble to isolate right-wing voters, a current left-wing leader the right has been conditioned to irrationally hate, and a mainstream media dedicated to misreporting the facts to appear fair and balanced.

    How we avoid having our own Trump or Brexit I have no idea.

    I think the best you have is that you're far enough behind the other bubbles that by the time it's time for Doug Ford to be PM, the bubbles will have popped elsewhere.

  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    So earlier I got angry and huffy and then as I cooled off I figured without knowing whether the incel angle was legitimate it didn't make sense to rant about it but with confirmation this guy is that kind of waste I feel a bit more justified carrying on

    Toronto has enough of these dickheads

    Between PUAs teaching each other how to be terrible fucks to women at the Eaton Centre and men's rights activists in our universities and this piece of human garbage who barreled across a neighborhood basically next door to mine I feel like anyone with the barest hint of MRA leanings or self-identification in that gross-ass "culture" are just... badly in need of rehabilitation, to put it mildly

    That van attack happened right outside my gym

    What a piece of shit

    Anyone who could look favourably on men like Elliott Rodger is just... like, it's beyond the pale, it's ideological poison on a level that goes beyond all reason, it's outright disgusting, it's repulsive

    Like, while we have young men committing mass killing across North America I almost think they're worse than your conventional terrorist groups

    Seriously when I think about it I think geopolitical unrest contributes for a lot of factors that seriously influence young men who end up in these groups, and while I wouldn't say I feel sad for them there's not that same feeling of disgust and revulsion I have for the kind of man who pulls this shit because what, they can't get a date?

    I know it's an oversimplification but where along the way did things go wrong? How do young men not learn a basic level of respect for their fellow man and woman? How does someone get to such an age with such inability to make sense of their world that the answer is to violently lash out at society?

    It would make me sad to think of the kind of loneliness that must drive their actions if I didn't feel such raw contempt for the rot in their heart.

    I feel like just spitting hot fire right now but there has to be some productive way to confront the issue with young men today and their shitty sense of entitlement for women's attention, and I hate that Toronto feels particularly bad for it between the PUA problem we had (have?) downtown, the MRAs in our colleges, and now this.

    Fuck this guy and everyone like him.

Sign In or Register to comment.