Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Not all smells are equal. Just cause it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean that others are not affected. An example of which you are all ignoring.

We're not ignoring it, but your problem smells aren't universal. I personally can barely breathe when someone has certain perfumes on. I can tell walking down a hallway in my condo, should I push to have perfume disallowed in condos?

If its strong enough to cause you issues in your own unit, then yes.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    If the literal existence of the smell is a problem for me? Really. So I am in the building and I can smell smoke, period.

• Options
    It's not unreasonable. There's lots of stuff already about that.

My workplace disallows perfume, straight up, because it has caused people with asthma to get attacks before. So they just don't allow it.

If someone in your building was using so much perfume that you, or your wife, or your child, were having to go to the ER because it caused attacks, would you move out? Or ask for consideration?

What if, like me, you cannot move out? What then?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would move to ban perfume from condos, honestly I would move to ban all strong smells and loud noises outside of designated areas, people need to shut the fuck up and not smell so much in general

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    If you make cannabis legal but don't allow people to smoke it anywhere WTF is the point?

Smoking weed should be allowed anywhere smoking a cigarette is allowed. Most condos are moving towards banning all kinds of smoking I I totally understand. So let me go to the park across the street and light a J like I would if I was a cigarette smoker.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I work in a scent-free building that will send you home if you have a strong-smell that proves an issue to somebody else.

I believe the initial mailers regarding upcoming Marijuana policies were essentially: we don't allow you to drink here or show up drunk, same goes for marijuana. But there will probably be some intersections with the scent-free policies.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    hawkbox wrote: »
    If the literal existence of the smell is a problem for me? Really. So I am in the building and I can smell smoke, period.
    I'm genuinely confused by your reaction here. You're the judge of whether or not something is enough of an impediment or imposition that you would take action about it. It shouldn't surprise you that others would or have taken action over things that cause them impediment or imposition. Just because you can't imagine having an issue with smells doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to imagine someone else can or does. <_<
    Disco11 wrote: »
    If you make cannabis legal but don't allow people to smoke it anywhere WTF is the point?

Smoking weed should be allowed anywhere smoking a cigarette is allowed. Most condos are moving towards banning all kinds of smoking I I totally understand. So let me go to the park across the street and light a J like I would if I was a cigarette smoker.
    Halifax is doing that. We'll see how it pans out or if it sticks, but unifying where you can drink/smoke certainly addresses that in the reverse. Which is to say they're banning it all in public. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    To be clear in Halifax there will be designated smoke zones thoughout the municipality but the city has been vague and it will surely be a total facking goat roping cause stuff ain't run good round here

Anyway it seems less complicated than the discourse would imply, if your shit is bothering someone adjust your shit

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    No one's ignoring it. It's just not a convincing argument.
    I'm not beholden to you preferences.

If like minded people band together to make buildings or private businesses "smoke free" or "whatever free" that's great.
    Or, change the laws themselves if you think you can.

Until then, the greater world doesn't need to bend to your particular will.

We already have laws. That's what you are complaining about: that you don't get to make others feel sick all the time.

Smoking used to be allowed everywhere. We stopped that because it reduced quality of life and life expectancy of non smokers.

How did you miss the part where I said that's fine?
    I don't smoke, either cigarettes or weed. I am also not in the business of making other people stop doing things I personally don't like.
    Im not hounding my city council to ban speakerphone talkers. The world does not revolve around my wants.

Secondhand smoke kills people. Literally. With cancer.

Nobody is disagreeing with that. The problem is you're conflating being able to smell something and second hand smoke and they aren't the same thing.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Nova, for your case, you're going to have to either petition the condo board to change the policy or join the board and endeavor to change the policy from within. If you cannot sell, that's probably going to be a big enough issue for enough residents that you should be able to agitate for change from within the board. The policy doesn't work for you, so you need to take active steps to have the policy changed.

• Options

Hobnail wrote: »
    To be clear in Halifax there will be designated smoke zones thoughout the municipality but the city has been vague and it will surely be a total facking goat roping cause stuff ain't run good round here

Anyway it seems less complicated than the discourse would imply, if your shit is bothering someone adjust your shit

The problem is that it's 2018 and someone always has a problem with shit.

• Options
    Uh huh

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    Nova, for your case, you're going to have to either petition the condo board to change the policy or join the board and endeavor to change the policy from within. If you cannot sell, that's probably going to be a big enough issue for enough residents that you should be able to agitate for change from within the board. The policy doesn't work for you, so you need to take active steps to have the policy changed.

Yeah, but changing the bylaw requires 75% vote, apparently. But we'll see. They usually hold the meetings when I'm at work, but I'll attend the next one, even if I have to take the day off to do it.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    3/4s majority? O_o

Do they need 2/3s of the provinces comprising at least 50% of the population, too?

Characters
  • Options
    Condo bylaw. Not municipal.

So there has to be 75% approval by the Condo board members (Which is all the owners) in order for a condo bylaw to change.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

Yeah, but changing the bylaw requires 75% vote, apparently. But we'll see. They usually hold the meetings when I'm at work, but I'll attend the next one, even if I have to take the day off to do it.

I think it's a safe bet there will be a lot of people interested in what you have to say when you start telling them that this is significantly decreasing the value of their property. And if you can't sell your property it is worth exactly $0 (or technically less because you need to pay taxes and condo fees).

Good luck figuring this out regardless!

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Condo bylaw. Not municipal.

So there has to be 75% approval by the Condo board members (Which is all the owners) in order for a condo bylaw to change.

But...but my general amending formula joke...

Characters
  • Options
    Condo boards are straight up the worst. Always made up of all the old fogies that have nothing better to do than mind other people's business.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    So, Canadian politics... have we talked about Manitoba backing out of the carbon tax? It is not looking good for the Federal government's plans here. I think that is Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario all pushing back now right?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Shit like, having a problem with shit?

Anyways, hookah lounges are a thing. Why not cannabis lounges? You wanna toke up, go to one of these small businesses where cannabis smokers hang out. Stimulates the economy. And you get social interaction with other cannabis smokers!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Anyways, hookah lounges are a thing. Why not cannabis lounges? You wanna toke up, go to one of these small businesses where cannabis smokers hang out. Stimulates the economy. And you get social interaction with other cannabis smokers!

But I don't wanna play hackey sack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, I don't get why this is not a thing.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

But I don't wanna play hackey sack.

Too bad. And put your goddamned wool hat on.

• Options
    Also, the idea that people have more problems with shit now that it's 2018 is laughable. People have always had problems with shit. It just used to be other shit. Get off my lawn. Quit playing road hockey in the streets. No dogs or cats allowed. No chickens allowed. Kids making too much of a racket. Basketball courts attracting too many dark-skinned teenagers. Skateboarders. Roller skaters. Loud stereos. Rap music. Not having to walk to school uphill both ways in 17 feet of snow.

Do you have a problem with shit? Congratulations, you're old now.
    Do you have a problem with people having a problem with shit? Congratulations, you're really old now.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I have a problem with being very old (mentally).

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular

Edmonton is literally trying to shut down Hookah bars.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    So, Canadian politics... have we talked about Manitoba backing out of the carbon tax? It is not looking good for the Federal government's plans here. I think that is Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario all pushing back now right?

Probably New Brunswick too when the legislature sits, unless Brian Gallant proves to be one of the most shrewd, clever political minds of our time.
    So New Brunswick when the legislature sits. The PCs complained about the carbon tax during the campaign.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

See, the funny thing coming back to this is I wasn't even talking about pot. Or not specifically. I was more thinking cigarettes but same shit really. They should be treated exactly the same, which mostly means banning smoking either one from all sorts of places.

It's totally legal to do either (or will be very soon). But your inability to find somewhere to do it that doesn't negatively effect others is not my problem or of basically any concern. People will figure something out. People still smoke cigarettes after all.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting spending some $20 each way to get to a smoke lounge that hasnt been blocked through zoning, bylaws, and special measures by local residents just to toke up.

Assuming that is that Taxis will pick you up after you reek like weed (the smell might transfer and then its doing economic harm to them).

Or spending your entire high getting anxiety about how long before you can drive back home and try to relax, which is why you smoked in the first place.

All I want, is to be able to go out on my patio / balcony, or some random smoker ‘pit’ that is the appropriate distance from the entrance and light up for a couple minutes.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

See, the funny thing coming back to this is I wasn't even talking about pot. Or not specifically. I was more thinking cigarettes but same shit really. They should be treated exactly the same, which mostly means banning smoking either one from all sorts of places.

It's totally legal to do either (or will be very soon). But your inability to find somewhere to do it that doesn't negatively effect others is not my problem or of basically any concern. People will figure something out. People still smoke cigarettes after all.

Cigarettes arent a depressant / intoxicant, and alcohol can be consumption doesn’t create a strong telltale odour.

Both are far worse public health risks.

I like the comparison to noise pollution, noise is something eveyone makes, and has a different tolerance for, much like odour. We need some sort of common sense limits instead of blanket bans or the wild west of escalating brinksmanship.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Cigarettes arent a depressant / intoxicant, and alcohol can be consumption doesn’t create a strong telltale odour.

I like the comparison to noise pollution, noise is something eveyone makes, and has a different tolerance for, much like odour. We need some sort of common sense limits instead of blanket bans or the wild west of escalating brinksmanship.

I don't see why that's relevant. This isn't about that at all. It's about the act of smoking. There seems no reason not to treat them the same.

And despite the dystopian visions being spun in this thread, cigarette smokers seem to have figured their way into continuing their habit. I'm sure the pot smokers will manage.

shryke on
  • Options

I don't see why that's relevant. This isn't about that at all. It's about the act of smoking. There seems no reason not to treat them the same.

And despite the dystopian visions being spun in this thread, cigarette smokers seem to have figured their way into continuing their habit. I'm sure the pot smokers will manage.

I love how you are advocating for others inconvenience.

Wait, not love, hate. Its a shitty thing to do to just say they should figure it out while boomer society keeps moving the goal posts because they were indoctrinated with all the reefer mania bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We all of us have our burdens to bear as we trudge through this vale of tears, one of mine is ambulating my carcass into areas where I will not vent my exhaust upon other persons

• Options
    edited October 2018

Wait, not love, hate. Its a shitty thing to do to just say they should figure it out while boomer society keeps moving the goal posts because they were indoctrinated with all the reefer mania bullshit.

Your convenience is someone else's inconvenience, is the point. It'd be much more convenient to me if all smoking was banned, everywhere, forever. Hence why the state exists to moderate our positions and arrive at an acceptable compromise.

Alt: Why can't you use consumables, rather than smoking? They usually have the same medicinal effect, no?

hippofant on
  • Options

Your convenience is someone else's inconvenience, is the point. It'd be much more convenient to me if all smoking was banned, everywhere, forever. Hence why the state exists to moderate our positions and arrive at an acceptable compromise.

Alt: Why can't you use consumables, rather than smoking? They usually have the same medicinal effect, no?

Consumables arent legalized yet, due to reefer madness mania.

I think some level of smoke detector that can measure PPM would be a fair compromise. Someone is stinking up the place, they are responsible for the costs of cleaning it up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    People who smoke weed should all just start using vaporizers. Significantly less smell, better high, smoother smoke, maybe less carcinogens.. It's a shame the shops and culture are almost as repulsive as weed shops and culture, but who even buys things in stores anymore anyway?

• Options
    edited October 2018

I love how you don't even pay attention to the posts you respond to. This has nothing to do with "reefer madness" as I literally keep suggesting we treat them exactly the same as cigarette smokers. Unless wanting to restrict where people smoke tobacco is somehow part of "reefer madness" now?

No, we all know it's not. Y'all keep trying to float this bullshit that this is about marijuana and not just smoking, period. It's bullshit and you know it.

shryke on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Question for the group, if I want to make pot tea, could I just like, boil some in a tea bag with other aromatic herbs or is there a particular process that won’t be legal until sometime next year?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Question for the group, if I want to make pot tea, could I just like, boil some in a tea bag with other aromatic herbs or is there a particular process that won’t be legal until sometime next year?

frankly, this is the first i've heard of this, and I don't see why you'd want to do this. I mean edibles are ok, but drinking an entire cup of tea with that weedy after taste isn't enticing.

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular

Not 100% sure, but it likely wouldn't have much of the desired effect. The party compounds in pot are not very water soluble so you'd mainly be getting the flavours.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)